• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: 'Rohingya Recount Atrocities: "They Threw My Baby Into a Fire"'

mdubs

Banned
Thats horrifying.

I cannot believe that no country is doing anything to stop this.

If Burma can get away with this in front of the whole world what is to stop the next country from a successful genocide?
What would you do in this situation?

Airola

Not helping the Rohingya is just pure racism unfortunately. If the Rohingya were doing this to innocent Buddhists, there would be a social media campaign, it would be all over the papers, and there would be diplomatic, economic and military repercussions from all over the world. Fact.

I think it also hurts it's the Buddhists who are doing this. Buddhism is still thought to be the most peaceful religion in the world and acknowledging this makes people's worldview spin around.

Buddhism is the secular world's favorite religion because people feel better when they support religions that supposedly haven't done any of the attrocities Christians, Muslims or Jews have done. It hurts to know this so they ignore it.

Now, I'm sure that's at least partly bullshit from my part as of course there probably are much more reasons for this to be ignored this much. Maybe that part of the world just isn't important to the West. Getting rid of it wouldn't help us exonimically. Maybe that's one reason. I think the perpetrators being Buddhists might play a tiny part of it though.

Anyway, no matter how much I just talked out of my ass, the truth is that it doesn't matter which religion you are part of or if you are not part of any religion at all. There is this rotten core within mankind that raises its ugly head from time to time. Give Christians the power and they will eventually kill. Give Jews the power and they will eventually kill. Give Muslims the power and they will eventually kill. Give Buddhists the power and they will eventually kill. Give atheists the power and they will eventually kill.

They all have tried and all have failed, and that's a fact.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I think it also hurts it's the Buddhists who are doing this. Buddhism is still thought to be the most peaceful religion in the world and acknowledging this makes people's worldview spin around.

Buddhism is the secular world's favorite religion because people feel better when they support religions that supposedly haven't done any of the attrocities Christians, Muslims or Jews have done. It hurts to know this so they ignore it.

Now, I'm sure that's at least partly bullshit from my part as of course there probably are much more reasons for this to be ignored this much. Maybe that part of the world just isn't important to the West. Getting rid of it wouldn't help us exonimically. Maybe that's one reason. I think the perpetrators being Buddhists might play a tiny part of it though.

Anyway, no matter how much I just talked out of my ass, the truth is that it doesn't matter which religion you are part of or if you are not part of any religion at all. There is this rotten core within mankind that raises its ugly head from time to time. Give Christians the power and they will eventually kill. Give Jews the power and they will eventually kill. Give Muslims the power and they will eventually kill. Give Buddhists the power and they will eventually kill. Give atheists the power and they will eventually kill.

They all have tried and all have failed, and that's a fact.
At lest they cannot pretend they're doing it since God told them to.

Stranya

I have a son and, in about a week, a daughter too. I can't even begin to imagine what that poor woman and countless others went through. It's absolutely, yet sadly not literally, inhuman.

bman94

My fucking God. Have no fucking idea this shit was going on. What the fuck man, why isn't any news coverage showing this??? Why is it on a fucking video game forum I'm hearing about shit like this. Fuck the president, fuck the NFL, this isbthe shit that should be being discussed on CNN and Fox News.

Kthulhu

That's pretty callous. Fuck those people I guess?

Have you not paid attention to the US's actions post WW2?

Lately sure... But alot of "invasions" have led to good and were necessary.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

- i believe that's the exact wording

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

We can spout out all the meaningless quotes you want. Facts are the world has no right to invade this country, it's not our problem and an invasion would only make things worse, not better.

This isn't ISIS or some other ragtag army, it's a country's military with modern weapons and jets.

Raven117

Wait, so let me get this straight, the Buddhists are performing genocide of the Muslims. (I realize there are specific ethnic groups associated).

The Muslims had previously fought with the British in WWII.
The Buddhists had previously fought with the Japanese in WWII.

The British (gawd, it always comes down to these fuckers...thats the last time we let an island country draw boundaries...), in an effort to appease the Buddhists who were the majority in the region, made a deal, and did the Muslims did not get their slice of the country. Essentially forcing the Muslims to remain with the Buddhists... And then came the persecution.

Now the Buddhists (why now? Do we know what sparked this), are killing and scaring the Muslims to leave into Bangladesh)

That the gist of this?

How often have the Buddhists done this? (I guess, Japans invasion of China...any other time?)

No form of military pressure would ever be possible so close to China.
Yep, this is just the beginning of what a multilateral world order is going to look like as US power declines and Chinese power increases. Any Trump voter in particular who claims to care about this proved themselves to be unequivocal hypocrites on November 8th, 2016.

sazzy

It wouldn't be so tragic if human beings were incapable of being good and moral, but we are, and that's what makes it so much worse.

We have a choice, and we choose to be bad.

Wait, so let me get this straight, the Buddhists are performing genocide of the Muslims. (I realize there are specific ethnic groups associated).

The British (gawd, it always comes down to these fuckers...thats the last time we let an island country draw boundaries...), in an effort to appease the Buddhists who were the majority in the region, made a deal, and did the Muslims did not get their slice of the country. Essentially forcing the Muslims to remain with the Buddhists... And then came the persecution.

Now the Buddhists (why now? Do we know what sparked this), are killing and scaring the Muslims to leave into Bangladesh)

That the gist of this?

How often have the Buddhists done this? (I guess, Japans invasion of China...any other time?)

Myanmar have been oppressing the Muslim for decades, people in the west are only hearing about it now.

Also, what do you mean by Japan’s invasion of China? What has that got to do with the Buddhist of Myanmar?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Did you even read my post? There is many ways to respond without force that is not even being considered. The threat for force is also very powerful without it having to be used. I would say the problem is so many dog whistling racists so eager not to help minorities they obviously hold resentment and racism towards.

What do you mean? Stopped genocide in Kosovo. Stopped genocide in Darfur. Of course it can be done.

Bombing is not the only way. This genocide has been going on for a while and we don't even have sanctions. Can't argue how difficult it is when we haven't even tried.

Violence against Muslim minorities, committed by non Muslim majorities very very rarely counts. Its time to change that. At the very least the most strict sanctions are needed. But the EU and west isn't even considering it.

Not helping the Rohingya is just pure racism unfortunately. If the Rohingya were doing this to innocent Buddhists, there would be a social media campaign, it would be all over the papers, and there would be diplomatic, economic and military repercussions from all over the world. Fact.

Like the late 90s with Indonesia and East Timor.

nitewulf

This is horrifying. They're basically being killed because of what they are? What kind of law states that they can do that?

No law. The Rohynga have been in that region of Burma for centuries, not just decades. After the border was created, the territory essentially fell within Burma. The Burmese Buddhists never considered the Rohynga (Muslims and Hindus, but ethnically different as well, they are Bengalies who settled there centuries ago) as citizens, they were never given citizenship or rights. They had been systematically oppressed till a radical faction finally rose up and attacked a bunch of police stations on August 29, the Burmese military used this incident as an excuse to "quell" the "insurgence" and started to systematically burn down Rohynga villages and kill/rape them to drive them off the land, they are ethnically erasing the whole population from the borders of their country.

like I can't even imagine a stituation like this..like there's nothing to decribe it...like calling this pure evil would be an understatement. I can't even imagine the will to live this women has to go on after what she has experienced...

\

I hope these people have a painful death. An agonizing one. That’s the least of what they deserve. Literal demons.

I hope that one day, the world will get its head out it’s ass and stomp out this garbage.

fin

This world is shit. I can't believe this is happening now. Such a depressing read.

Depressing no one is doing anything too. Instead the top news is NFL anthem ethics, Ben Affleck grabbing someone's ass and Trump shit-talking Korea.

MikeyB

There are observable warning signs for these sorts of slaughters. We know this because of the multiple genocides in the 20th century. The media should be reporting on those warning signs as well as the current mass murder. Ot needs to become a point of discussion.

Edit: 2 NFL kneeling threads on the front page, 2 on Weinstein.

05-3_0.jpg

What would you do in this situation?

This needs blue helmets, like literally this is the point of UN Peacekeeping. Set up aid channels to refugee camps, provide safe harbor in other countries and force government troops to back down. Then identify and prosecute the offenders in the ICC. This is why we have a world body not but since these are Muslims no one wants to lift a finger for some brown people.

half of Vietnam was strong enough to kick America's ass 40 years ago. Of course no SEA army can 1v1 the US in a neutral setting. But on their home turf? I see loss.

They didn’t win militarily.

Kimawolf

Real time genocide is happening as we speak and we can barely get 3 pages on it on GAF which can be pretty conscientious.. Shameful. This story has not been mentioned on ANY major news network and the only paper is NYT.

This is an absolutely horrific story, it needs more waves being made. A fucking baby was thrown into a fire as the mom was gang raped. Jesus Christ why am I just hearing about this now and I watch CNN/MSNBC daily? .

I'm curious why this isn't happening.

Either because they are Muslim, or like Sudan, the Congo, Sierra Leone etc, people simply don't care because the stories have no celebrity in them.

mdubs

Banned
Real time genocide is happening as we speak and we can barely get 3 pages on it on GAF which can be pretty conscientious.. Shameful. This story has not been mentioned on ANY major news network and the only paper is NYT.

This is an absolutely horrific story, it needs more waves being made. A fucking baby was thrown into a fire as the mom was gang raped. Jesus Christ why am I just hearing about this now and I watch CNN/MSNBC daily? .

Either because they are Muslim, or like Sudan, the Congo, Sierra Leone etc, people simply don't care because the stories have no celebrity in them.
For the general public, it’s sadly because people have a limit to the amount of empathy they can have at one time. This is taking place in a country far away during a time when everyone who would otherwise care is busy dealing with the constraint stream of bullshit coming from Trump among other things, so it’s little wonder that people are not paying attention despite this horrific situation. And that’s already putting aside the fact that the US (which, frankly, is the only country who would do something about it) is being led by morons which mitigates the chances of anything being done.

Kimawolf

For the general public, it’s sadly because people have a limit to the amount of empathy they can have at one time. This is taking place in a country far away during a time when everyone who would otherwise care is busy dealing with the constraint stream of bullshit coming from Trump among other things, so it’s little wonder that people are not paying attention despite this horrific situation. And that’s already putting aside the fact that the US (which, frankly, is the only country who would do something about it) is being led by morons which mitigates the chances of anything being done.

but why is the U.S. the only country? It's obvious we ceded our role as protector now, why hasnt someone else taken it up? the E.U.? Australia? GB? What the hell are they doing? this story just really... infuriates me thinking of the pain and suffering. Its unreal. Well I tweeted it to CNN/Don Lemon, not like they'll read it, but man it really needs to be mentioned.

MikeyB

but why is the U.S. the only country? It's obvious we ceded our role as protector now, why hasnt someone else taken it up? the E.U.? Australia? GB? What the hell are they doing?

You need a moral superiority complex to pull it off. Christian saviours, cowboys, whathaveyou. But the world's strongest myth that results kn obligation is one of maximising profits and rescuing these folks is a losing proposition.

but why is the U.S. the only country? It's obvious we ceded our role as protector now, why hasnt someone else taken it up? the E.U.? Australia? GB? What the hell are they doing? this story just really... infuriates me thinking of the pain and suffering. Its unreal. Well I tweeted it to CNN/Don Lemon, not like they'll read it, but man it really needs to be mentioned.

Simple answer is the diplomatic arm of the USA is the biggest and most efficient and should be the best at getting people together. Though now that is just withering on the vine, understaffed and without direction.

Because being the world police is fucking expensive and there’s no way their citizens would sign off on it. Even if they did it would take years to build up the military infrastructure for it.

mdubs

Banned
Because being the world police is fucking expensive and there's no way their citizens would sign off on it. Even if they did it would take years to build up the military infrastructure for it.

Plus the US is the only country that has the singular political capital to haul everyone together to do something. Australia saying something is a fart in the wind - other countries will not care.

Like it or not, the nature of the world is that when the US speaks, other countries listen. And now that the US is not speaking, there isn't much to be done. This is the sad nature of our geopolitical reality.

casiopao

Can't Bangladesh do anything to me intervene? Or Pakistan?

I read newspaper saying that early on, Bangladesh government dont even allow the refugees to come close to their border.

They are surely not the allies too in this case.

emag

Wasn't the United Nations formed to prevent this stuff from ever happening again after World War 2? What are they doing?

No nation went to war to save innocents from Nazi concentration camps, but rather for their own national interests.

The UN was formed to allow the world's most powerful nations to split the rest of world without going to war among themselves. Any humanitarian concerns have always been a thin veneer, as is the case when corporations like Philip Morris donate to charity.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

US wouldn't do anything in this case. It's China's sphere of influence now.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Because if you're going to stick your dick everywhere you want (even when most of the planet and most of your own citizens are telling you not to), expect the world to also be asking, "so Iraq was a 'humanitarian' mission eh? There's a humanitarian crises where babies are being burned alive over there, you're going to go fix that too right?" Massive hard on to go flatten Iran, but women and children being slaughtered in Myanmar, eh.

The US stops claiming they do shit for humanitarian reasons, and the world would stop wondering why the US seems to pick and choose these "humanitarian" efforts based on what benefits them.

Plus the US is the only country that has the singular political capital to haul everyone together to do something. Australia saying something is a fart in the wind - other countries will not care.

Like it or not, the nature of the world is that when the US speaks, other countries listen. And now that the US is not speaking, there isn't much to be done. This is the sad nature of our geopolitical reality.

Australia was the lead in the East Timor operation that booted Indonesia out of there.

nitewulf

I read newspaper saying that early on, Bangladesh government dont even allow the refugees to come close to their border.

They are surely not the allies too in this case.

Early on yes. Bangladesh isn't really capable of handling an influx of so many refugees, but even so, the border was opened, and now there are about 400,000 refugees in various camps near the border. I am Bangladeshi. Few of my friends have been demonstrating in front of the UN (there was a demonstration at Union Square yesterday) to raise awareness.

Brinbe

Fucking hell.... That certainly puts things in perspective. How can ppl treat other human beings like that. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Sunster

This needs blue helmets, like literally this is the point of UN Peacekeeping. Set up aid channels to refugee camps, provide safe harbor in other countries and force government troops to back down. Then identify and prosecute the offenders in the ICC. This is why we have a world body not but since these are Muslims no one wants to lift a finger for some brown people.

They didn’t win militarily.

They were tough enough to make a US victory there impossible.

That the gist of this?

Do you really think that if it was still a British colony that this would be allowed to go on? Its been independent for almost 60 years. Enough time for everyone associated with it ever being a colony and its later independence to be dead or on their way. Colonialism has a lot of horror associated with it but many countries who later gained their independence from Britain turned into complete shit shows.

The Mule

As a relatively new father, with a 9 month old son, this cuts me deeper than other similar stories have before it.

I can't imagine how horrifying this would be.

Fuck those soldiers.

SRG01

Many SE Asian wars have been between warring Buddhist Kingdoms backed by different Monastic orders. There's a old legend about how to spot a Burmese spy-monk in the Thai court (shaved eyebrows).

Sri Lanka used Buddhism as a part of their nationalist movement and decimated the local Tamil population.

Lastly, rival orders in Tibet frequently clashed, even when the Gelugs had supreme power.

Do you really think that if it was still a British colony that this would be allowed to go on? Its been independent for almost 60 years. Enough time for everyone associated with it ever being a colony and its later independence to be dead or on their way. Colonialism has a lot of horror associated with it but many countries who later gained their independence from Britain turned into complete shit shows.

As a person who was born in a colony that gained gradual independence, I firmly believe that the independence of many colonies was poorly handled and is responsible for many of the geopolitical issues we face today -- Myanmar included.

Top Bottom