• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Should 15,000 Steps a Day Be Our New Exercise Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Nice design... not sure what this is doing that the Fitbit software doesn't though. Or Strava for that matter.

How long did that take you though? At least 90 minutes I would guess? 12 miles is 19 kilometers, that's almost a half-marathon. Not exactly typical but good for you.

Don't think 5km is enough frankly. I mean it's good but i can't actually hit my 3k calories-burned goal in a day, if I only ran 5km as part of my 10k steps. I'd be under until I was closer to 14-15k steps.

Well, for starters, it's a free app and you don't need anything else but a smartphone for it..

There are probably lots of other wearables and/or apps that do a whole lot more then Human, but I enjoy the easy interface and the simple fact it just works in the background.

Oppo

Well, for starters, it's a free app and you don't need anything else but a smartphone for it..

There are probably lots of other wearables and/or apps that do a whole lot more then Human, but I enjoy the easy interface and the simple fact it just works in the background.

fair enough. My Fitness Pal will auto-track in the background as well. although has some have pointed out, it's not super accurate to do it that way.

For me personally, the pervasive heart rate monitoring is the biggest thing – you can see how hard you are actually working. For cardio anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
thats fucking ridiculous. I have been trying to hit 10,000 steps the past six months and have only gotten to 7k once.

100% agree. Is 15,000 steps great? Yes! But there's no way the average person even has the time to do this. I set my counter to 6,000 steps a day and can hit it about 3 days a week. And that's usually only on the days I actually go to the gym. Without the gym I'm at like 4,000 steps a day.

UFO

Banned
ZIL9Ynd.png

This is what I've done according to my phone. Wednesday would be a lot higher because I ran 3 miles without my MS band or phone.

xsarien

daedsiluap
That's not even close to 10000 steps. 5 miles is about 10000 steps. You would need to run a 10k every day and then some to hit 15000 steps. But a 5k a day is a great goal for everyone.

Where you live and general lifestyle factors into this a lot. Hitting 10K is almost a daily occurrence for me during the week, substantially more if I decide to run some errands. You just have to commit to walking instead of taking a car or a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom