• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Should 15,000 Steps a Day Be Our New Exercise Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is mostly do-able for me as I am constantly half-marathon training and most days I am running 40-65 minutes. The issue is my job is relatively sedentary (I do get up and walk around).

Unless you're at a job where you're walking/on your feet the whole day, this is an unrealistic and unreasonable goal. Sure, you could squeeze this in on the days when you're not working, but for the majority of the population who have jobs that aren't mobile, to do this every day is an unrealistic and unreasonable goal.

ZOONAMI

Walking is meaningful exercise. And it's good on the joints too.

Walking is arguably better than running, just based on the havoc running does to your knees. Unless you run on a composite track or grass only vs concrete sidewalks.

There's this girl I know who runs like multiple 5ks a week and her knees and back are always fucked up. I tell her, you know, that's probably because you run too much. She just shrugs it off and is incapacitated for weeks at a time until she can run again. It's like, but why?

As soon as I got my Fitbit, I changed the goal to 15k straight away. I hit it every day I'm out of the house.

It's not too hard! Just take a little detour here and there :)

ZOONAMI

Unless you're at a job where you're walking/on your feet the whole day, this is an unrealistic and unreasonable goal. Sure, you could squeeze this in on the days when you're not working, but for the majority of the population who have jobs that aren't mobile, to do this every day is an unrealistic and unreasonable goal.

It really isn't if you don't drive literally everywhere.
If you drive everywhere you'll hit like 5k. If you take the bus and trains, or just walk for an or hour after work and during lunch, you'll hit 15k no problem.

I walk about an hour a day, it's relaxing and good for body and mind fam

I also do 6 mins interval training daily, 2 mins hard 4 mins casual cuh

My program is so easy u never skip a day fam

ZOONAMI

True, but for most of the population, it's not a realistic goal, since everyone is so dependent on their cars.

Yeah, but you don't have to be dependent on your car. And if you absolutely have to be because of a lack of public transit, then set aside an hour for walking.

Yeah, but you don't have to be dependent on your car. And if you absolutely have to be because of a lack of public transit, then set aside an hour for walking.

Yeah, it can be done, I'm sure. It's just that for most people, I don't really see them changing their ways in order to be able to do this. For heavens sakes, most people I know have trouble hitting the gym even once a week, if even that.

I walk 20k+ steps every day and can still gain weight if I eat bad or don't do real excercise. I've never seen any real relation between the amount of steps I do and my weight. I only lose weight if I do real cardio like running or cycling or specifically diet.

I walk 20k+ steps every day and can still gain weight if I eat bad or don't do real excercise. I've never seen any real relation between the amount of steps I do and my weight. I only lose weight if I do real cardio like running or cycling or specifically diet.
I think you mean "I can still gain weight if I eat bad AND don't do real excercise." How do you gain weight if you're walking 20k steps and eating properly?

15,000 in an urban city isn't unreasonable. Now try doing that at a desk job in most cities where transportation by car is the norm.

An average walking pace is about 3mph. Using average stride length (2.5') this means most people will get around 6300 steps for an hour of walking. At a sedentary job, this means before/after work, you have to walk for probably another 2-3 hours to get 15,000 steps. The steps could be defeated pretty quickly by jogging/running for about half an hour but seriously. Try to ask someone who already doesn't move enough to run for half an hour every day. They're not gonna do it.

We shouldn't make new step goals, we need new nutrition goals

Your average nurse will get to 20k+ in a single 12 hour shift, but obesity is still a pretty big problem in the profession.
Same would go for anyone who is eating too much compared to what they burn, including people who lift. No one is proposing that 15k steps means you can ignore how you eat. Same as I'm sure you're not proposing you can lift and get "super fit" without caring about what you eat.

ZOONAMI

Yeah... it's too inefficient to just walk as your sole exercise. 5-10k steps plus some push ups and sit ups, or something else that doesn't just involve your legs, makes more sense.

Yeah this is pretty much what I do I suppose, although I'm usually over 10k steps. Sit ups, push ups, pull ups, lunges, and dumb bells in the morning. I don't go to gyms.

I think you mean "I can still gain weight if I eat bad AND don't do real excercise." How do you gain weight if you're walking 20k steps and eating properly?

My BMI is around 22-23 so that's probably a factor, but I know that if I walk significantly less steps one week (say I'm off work or something) I don't gain or lose weight any differently than when I'm walking my regular 20k.

Walking just doesn't seem to be a factor at all. I guess if you go from doing next to nothing to 15k a day it would help, but that would probably only be if you went for a semi strenuous walk. Not just walking for 30 seconds a lot.

ZOONAMI

Don't eat like 2500-3000 calories unless you are burning an extra 1000-1500 to cover it.

My BMI is around 22-23 so that's probably a factor, but I know that if I walk significantly less steps one week (say I'm off work or something) I don't gain or lose weight any differently than when I'm walking my regular 20k.

Walking just doesn't seem to be a factor at all. I guess if you go from doing next to nothing to 15k a day it would help, but that would probably only be if you went for a semi strenuous walk. Not just walking for 30 seconds a lot.

I think the time scale in your example (i.e. a week) might be too small to come to any conclusions.

EVOL 100%

I usually walk about this much everyday. When I'm feeling lazy and take a bus I'll get in 10k steps, and in fairly active days I'll get 20k steps. But usually it's in the 14k-16k range.

In my case it's more of a necessity rather than a conscious choice though. I don't have a car, and the commute to my university has terrible public transportation options. So I just walk instead

Not sure about the health benefits since I've always been thin as a rail, but it's a pretty good way to wind down mentally

KRaZyAmmo

Mine is usually 4500steps when walking and that's very doable. Sometimes i even go over. But 15000 step, that won't be possible for me at least.

The design of our cities is the one killing us all in America. Walking when you don't have to think about it is the best way to do it and it's hard to do in most of America's city.

Mark my words that it will be the future focus of obesity science. I mean, we have cut fat, we have cut carbs and cut calories but heart disease risk and metabolic syndrome are still up. Obesity science is focusing on the wrong causes of being overweight. The solution is simple but it will take tons of political will.

Red

The 2 things are actually interrelated. From a biological perspective, not moving slows your metabolism, which tricks your body into thinking food is not available or that its availability is on the wane (because mobility and energy expenditure are limited in cold months when food is not readily available in natural environments). Your body compensates for this perceived lack of availability by craving food and then overeating as a result due to wanting to store up calories as fat before food availability becomes scarce or non-existent.
Of course they are related, but they are not the same. A healthy diet will not protect anybody from the effects of a sedentary lifestyle. You still must move.

From Johns Hopkins:
Lack of physical activity has clearly been shown to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and other conditions:

Less active and less fit people have a greater risk of developing high blood pressure.

Studies show that physically active people are less likely to develop coronary heart disease than those who are inactive. This is even after researchers accounted for smoking, alcohol use, and diet.

Lack of physical activity can add to feelings of anxiety and depression.

Physical inactivity may increase the risk of certain cancers.

Physically active overweight or obese people significantly reduced their risk for disease with regular physical activity.

Diet and activity are both important. You can't just do one. They both affect different processes and are both important to health for reasons both independent and interrelated.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Some research doc I saw a few weeks ago showed that a 5min super intense workout was better than an hour of moderate workout, and they showed some amazing results with elderly folks.

Fox318

I work out 3 hours a day. I'm in great shape with regards to my strength and stamina but weight loss is strictly about diet.

DJ Gunner

This topic got my ass on the treadmill tonight.

I admittedly lead an extraordinarily sedentary life. I'm 42, and when I was 28 I began having anxiety that resulted in actual heart palpitations, hundreds per hour. I was terrified of dropping dead and avoided exercise like the plague.

I've since beaten the anxiety and in recent years have gone through stages of running, both treadmill and outside but have never sustained any period of this past about two weeks due to my knees.

As I am a married father and own a business that requires me to sit at a desk for ten+ hours a day, finding the energy to run has been my biggest challenge. I'm now totally rethinking this approach, as I just finished a one hour walk at 3.8mph and a small incline while watching Twin Peaks on Netflix. I feel -amazing- and my knees don't hurt at all.

Thank you GAF- may have just found the magic formula to keeping me active so I don't die in my 50s.

Some research doc I saw a few weeks ago showed that a 5min super intense workout was better than an hour of moderate workout, and they showed some amazing results with elderly folks.

I think this is what I was thinking of when I posted earlier in the thread. Maybe not Tabata, but just really intense exercise. I thought they said something like only a minute of extreme intensity is really needed.

xkramz

I average 15K steps per day according to my fitbit. But that's not 100% accurate so I'd say it's closer to 12 to 10 K

I do it every day but only because my commute involves a lot of walking. If that weren't "useful" (IE it helps me get somewhere i need to go), it would take FAR too long to do just for exercise.

Erasus

I bike to work, takes about 15min or so :)

I also have a dog so some days I can be out 40min+ walking him.

I have a 8-9h job. Single.

I should start running again ...

jdstorm

Banned
I drive 1 hour into work in the morning and then 1.25 hours to get home. I work 8-9 hours daily and when I get home I spend whatever time I have left with my child before she goes to sleep. At this point in time my wife and I finally get to spend a little time with each other before we fall asleep and repeat. We can't do late night walks because our child is asleep and if we staggered our physical activity so one walks early while the other walks late, then we would never see each other.

We used to ride bikes and loved it before she got pregnant. I'm thinking of getting those stands that basically turns your bike into a bike machine.

Not possible, unfortunately. Thinking about getting something so I can move at night and at home.

Ever thought about getting the train/bus to work? You could probably ride to the closest train station and not add much time to your commute if you live in a city/Area with good public transport.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I have to try just to get past 5k. (I.e run a couple of miles)

15k my ass. Maybe if you're trying to lose weight and don't want to cut your calories.

Loki

Count of Concision
Who the hell has 3+ hours every day to do ANYTHING once they're out of college, and especially if they're in a relationship or have a family?

carlsojo

The most time I get to work out is if I wake up before my wife and daughter and rush to the gym, work out, then rush back before my wife leaves. By the time she gets home I don't have the energy for anything more than trying to get an hour or two of gaming. So I have to make those 30 minutes count.

This was during the winter, though. Now that it's nice out I'll take my daughter out at least once a day for a walk, but it's not going to get me close to 15k steps.

Leflus

22K last month and 22K so far this month.

Helps that I'm still a student with a lot of free time on my hands, though. Can't wait for the spring to arrive in full force. :)

Madness

Unless you live in a walking city that's a bit of an extreme target. That's roughly 7 miles. Each day. If you live outside of a walking city, a few miles of cardio and a grocery run maybe gets you 4.5 miles.

There is this crazy machine. I don't know I think it is so advanced not too many have heard of it. It has a mini conveyor belt, can fit in a small corner of a room, and most models now fold up to save space too. Can be had for less than the price of a ps4 these days as well. I think it is called a treadmill.

mclem

thats fucking ridiculous. I have been trying to hit 10,000 steps the past six months and have only gotten to 7k once.
I don't drive, and the bus stop to get to work is a fair distance from my house, so I'm generally looking at about 7k on a normal workday (there and back again). That's without any specific intent to walk more.

I'm too sedentary at the weekends, though.

I've been tracking my steps with this new phone. At first I managed about 6k per day just by walking to the bus and a short walk at lunch, lately only hitting 5k as I haven't been lunch walking as much. I reckon I could easily get to 8k if I got off the bus two stops earlier so I'm going to try that starting next week, and if I add my lunch walk in again then I'll make the 10k. 15k would probably need a bit more persistence though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom