• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: The Democrats have one last chance to ... do bad math?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans in the area, please do your part. Trump hasn't even started his presidency yet and look at the morons he's surrounding himself with. You've got one chance to stop this, go vote, convince others to vote if you care about your fellow man. Don't let this angry orange screw over millions over greed and spite.

Edit: nvm op lied

Alienfan

Pretty ignorant when it comes to US politics, but what's stopping liberals from getting on a bus and driving there to vote from around the country?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
"NYTimes: The Democrats have one last chance to take back the Senate."

Normally when you put (Media outlet):

it means that's the headline that they chose.

Am I wrong or is it really unlikely Louisiana would vote in a Democratic party senator regardless of this mess? Always thought they were fairly solid red but being from the UK I've never looked too hard into it.

collige

Banned
Pretty ignorant when it comes to US politics, but what's stopping liberals from getting on a bus and driving there to vote from around the country?

The fact that they aren't registered to vote in Louisiana. Despite what conservatives say, the US does actually have laws in place to prevent voter fraud.

Eusis

Can't vote more than twice, need to be a resident, do you know how damn much that'd cost?

smurfx

get some go again
because they have to be registered to vote in that state. you cannot just go and vote anywhere.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
meh. i have no faith in democrats. if they didnt show up in the GE, they wont show up in a run off.
EDIT: Also this is because the rep vote was split b/w three candidates.

John Kennedy
Republican
482,380 25.0%
Foster Campbell
Democrat
337,682 17.5
Charles Boustany
Republican
297,744 15.4
Caroline Fayard
Democrat
240,748 12.5
John Fleming
Republican
203,959 10.6
Others
369,968 19.1

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
OP YOU'RE LITERALLY MISLEADING PEOPLE INTO DONATING MONEY FOR A CAUSE THAT ISN'T REAL

Sorry for caps but this gotta be changed ASAP.

this is delusional and there should be more work towards how we go forward and fix this beside pretending trump voters are going to have buyers remorse in a month

Bronx-Man

Banned

We could spread the word about it nationwide, but only Louisiana residents can vote in that election.

Vlad

You can only vote in your designated polling place, and you're registered to vote in the state you live in. For example, my polling place is at an elementary school about five minutes away from where I live. There's another polling place right up the street from that at a local library, but that's for people who live the area next to mine. I couldn't just go to the school, vote, then walk over to the library and vote, since they keep a list of names of the people who are allowed to vote at each place.

Zeeman

Yeah, it'd be worthwhile to push for it to keep the Senate as close as possible considering how many D seats are up for grabs in 2018, but this won't give the Dems control of the Senate

kmfdmpig

yeah, they are counted in the 48 democrats already.

If you have 51 of 100, you have a majority.

51 R
46 D
2 I (caucus with D)
1 seat left

And it's worse than that as Pence would be the tie breaker if it was 50-50. .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate#Current_party_standings

Wikipedia says the Republicans have 54 senators, Democrats have 44, and 2 independents. So even if they caucus it's 54-46? :\

Edit: or is it just the current senate under Obama, and the 51-49 composition is for 2017 onwards?

Yes. Your edit is correct. The 54/44/2 was prior to the election. Now it's 51/46/2 with one more to be decided + the VP as the tiebreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom