• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: The Democrats have one last chance to ... do bad math?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebusman

Banned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2016#After_the_elections

Ig5OdG9.png

Seriously OP you dun goofed. Even if he wins, the Republicans still control the Senate.

JohnsonUT

On one hand, he took Robert Byrd's seat, so this is the natural order. On the other hand, he does seem to care about bipartisanship more than almost any other Senator and does have a diverse set of beliefs. He is not a "pure" democrat by any means. On the other, other hand, this is a pure power play where he would gain a committee chair in exchange for doing this.

Hindl

Why isn't this bigger than it is? Is there something i'm missing?

Because it's not true. Even if the Democrat wins, it's still 49 D - 51 R. The problem was OP thought 2 independent Senators who caucus with Dems weren't included in the total when they already were.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, I know not a damn thing of what is happening around us is a laughing matter, but reading the OP to the first few posts of people donating to then the people realizing that we won't have a majority to then it finally being debunked that this won't be good enough, I am in tears, especially with the guy above me who quoted all the people and said they can sue the OP.

I'm dead.

I want my $25 back. That's almost halfway to the mini Nintendo that can't be found anywhere.

Edit: Or as the OP would say, it's more than 50% of the mini Nintendo.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Because it's not true. Even if the Democrat wins, it's still 49 D - 51 R. The problem was OP thought 2 independent Senators who caucus with Dems weren't included in the total when they already were.

Exactly. I'm so fucking sorry, but I still want to help Foster Campbell.

Jebusman

Banned
I donated because I believe in this well. WE NEED EVERY CHANCE WE CAN GET.

Except your title is literally "The Demoncrats have one last change to take back the Senate" when in actuality win or lose they will not actually "take back" the senate. They will still be behind.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welp, sounds like even if he wins and counting the independents, it'd still be 51-49. :(
It won't stop them from getting a majority, but it can increase their negotiating power if they can just get 2 other republicans on board which definitely statistically easier than 3 for key votes.
Good point. I have little hope to find even a measly 2 reasonable Republican senators willing to reach across the aisle, but you never know. Having to convince 2 is better than 3.

Oh great now here's this fuckery.
Oh for fuck's sake. What the hell?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Fucking edit your OP right now then.
Just did.

Bruh, you lied like a morherfucker.

Hoping for a Democrat to win another seat is cool.

Lying about the outcome is not.

Dude don't lie about shit
I thought we had a chance, I would never intentionally lie to anyone about someone as big as this. Jesus christ man, I'm in fucking tears right now, I can't handle this.

Jebusman

Banned
Just did.

Your OP still says

"If Foster were to win this election, Democrats would have a 51-49 lead in the Senate."

Like I get maybe you can't handle this right now. But maybe taking a step back and thinking about what you're posting, or at least reading about what you're posting, would stop this from happening in the future.

kmfdmpig

Just did.

I thought we had a chance, I would never intentionally lie to anyone about someone as big as this. Jesus christ man, I'm in fucking tears right now, I can't handle this.

So you didn't know the election results for the senate, but care so much to personally donate to the campaign of a senator in another state? I can't comprehend that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It could be pretty pivotal for 2018 and 2020 senate math. Democrats don't have a lot of other states to flip until 2022.

Remember, losing 6 seats in 2014 instead of 9 would have been enough to win the senate this election.

Ploid 3.0

Hopefully people will be a lot more invested in senate races now, even if they can't possibly make Dems the majority in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom