• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: The Democrats have one last chance to ... do bad math?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

This is how we ended up getting John Bel Edwards as governor, so I'm hopeful that Foster can salvage some good out of this election.

Republicans have 51 Senate seats
Democrats have 46, plus two independents who generally align with them...giving them 48

This race could at best make it 49D-51R

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Pretty sure you've just done illegal activities, OP. You lied for political donations. I dunno what that is, technically.

People are donating under the pretense that if Foster Campbell wins the Dems will have the Senate.

Ithil

I think the OP thought the two independent senators that caucus with the democrats weren't being counted in the 48 number.

If it's a run off isn't it in reach?

It's only a run off because the minimum requirement for a winner wasn't met (50%). Seems like the republicans got their votes split up the most, they should cruise to an easy win unless something insane happens.

Edit: This is the same race where David Duke got 3% of the vote.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Not to downplay the potential ramifications if this ends up coming true (which I really, really, REALLY hope it does), but what are the actual odds of this happening in somewhere as deep into the South as Louisiana?

MSNBC now reports that Sen. Joe Manchin, a Democrat from the now reliably-red state of West Virginia, is not committing to remain as a Democrat in the event of a 50/50 tie in the chamber. Under such a scenario, formal control of the Senate would be decided by a tie-breaking vote from the vice president.

What the fuuuuuuuck.

edit: Wait, are we miscounting the dems (+Independents), here?

jmood88

Am I wrong or is it really unlikely Louisiana would vote in a Democratic party senator regardless of this mess? Always thought they were fairly solid red but being from the UK I've never looked too hard into it.
Louisiana had a democratic senator (Mary Landrieu) for forever until last year.

Seriously, OP shouldn't be allowed to make threads for a while. Not only did he mislead with the title ("NYTimes:" implying there was a quote to follow), he is factually incorrect about what this election's outcome would mean, AND he's using these inaccuracies to encourage Gaffers to spend money.

That's gotta be the trifecta of things not to do when making a thread, right?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a chance to actually make an actual tangible difference, let's see if people actually give a shit to vote. Personally i'm not too hopeful because i think Louisiana leans Republican, hopefully i'm proven wrong.

EDIT: I have been lied to :(

Allard

It won't stop them from getting a majority, but it can increase their negotiating power if they can just get 2 other republicans on board which definitely statistically easier than 3 for key votes. Also senate is a 6 year position, they won't be able to get this till 2022 race if they don't spring on it now, Dems get out and spread the word, vote in the run off, spread a message that hope is coming even in the darkest hour by making taking back the senate quicker a possibility. Its probably the best warning shot we have right not to republicans not to over step their boundaries.

m0dus

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/louisiana-senate

In the state of Louisiana, there is still a run-off election for Senate happening on Dec. 9th. The candidates are John Kennedy of the Republican Party, and Foster Campbell of the Democrat Party. If Foster were to win this election, Democrats would have a 51-49 lead in the Senate. I cannot describe how big it would be to destroy the chance of Republicans holding a unified Congress under President Trump.

If you'd like to donate to Foster, you can do so here. Anyone Louisiana Gaffers here, please get out and vote on Dec. 9th.

So...bs?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Donated $100

Donated. We gotta win this won. First step to stopping Trump

Holy fuck

Donating now

Donating right now.

I just donated $25 and spread the word to my family and friends.

Donated $25. Might up it and make it weekly. Go Gaf Go.

Bright side is you can probably sue OP

Zeeman

Dems need to stop giving up on the South. You guys want a 50 state strategy? This is the sort of race you need to start with. Even if he doesn't win, the more people you can convince to mark D on the ballot, the more likely it is they'll do it next time too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
m0dus, just edit the title please.

Dems need to stop giving up on the South. You guys want a 50 state strategy? This is the sort of race you need to start with. Even if he doesn't win, the more people you can convince to mark D on the ballot, the more likely it is they'll do it next time too.
Nah dude, give up. Shit's hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom