• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oasis Reunion possible?

As a Manc, of a certain age, Oasis was a big part of Manchester life back in the day. They may be plonkers as people, but the band...they were something else

I never would have seen them live at the time, I was going through a strange Emo/Goth phase and wouldn't have been caught dead at an Oasis gig, but like most Northeners at the time, we knew all the songs. You could almost guarantee an Oasis song even at the rock clubs (Satan's and Jilly's) and we'd all be shouting those lyrics to the roof whilst holding onto each other and swaying along

Thankfully there were no camera phones back then. I and everyone else would look awful

They are not the best band, far from it, but there is something almost mythical about them, especially if you are from the North, from that age group, and looking back. They were the soundtrack to our lives. First loves, first jobs, college or Uni, drugs, beer, Brit pop wars. Simpler times. Happier times

I for one would love to see them Live now. I always regret not seeing more bands from that time because of my music snobbery. I missed Nirvana. I missed Queen. I just missed Bowie ( I feel this one the most)

Anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a 30 year anniversary CD, as I just can't see the lads getting along with each other. But... for the first time, ...those rumours... they seem more credible then before

What say you Gaf? Anyone from the UK getting excited or nostalgic? Hopeful?

RaduN

It was my favourite band.

Objectively, none of them were great singers/musicians. But their 1st and second albums were so damn inspired and well produced, and songs like Live Forever, Masterplan and Wonderwall are trully some of the best pieces of modern music ever made.

Also Liam only had 3 years of good live vocals. 3. Everything after that is just painful to listen to.
He fucked up his voice faster than any other singer ever. He should be in Guiness Book or something.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
If they did there’s at least a chance of Bonehead joining in too.

Hopefully they’d just focus on the first three albums and pretend anything after didn’t exist.

Liam can’t really sing anymore though so there’s that.

Make sure you get tickets for the first two concerts only because they're bound to have an argument and call off the rest.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. IF it happens, need to go quickly, for the best chance of them not having a fight before hand and the vocals being as good as possible

No point in trying to get a ticket for the last show as high chances it'll be called off

Banjo64

cumsessed
iu

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Was fortunate to see them twice during their tour for Standing on The Shoulder of Giants

If they even come to the US Im totally in, but Im guessing it'll be a few shows in the UK only.

clarky

Gold Member
Seen them loads of times in the 90's. Knebworth, Glastonbury etc. When they were good they were really fucking good. They were massive for a reason.

I'll be going for old times sake, hopefully its the whole band and not just Noel and Liam.

Last edited:
Seen them loads of times in the 90's. Knebworth, Glastonbury etc. When they were good they were really fucking good. They were massive for a reason.

I'll be going for old times sake, hopefully its the whole band and not just Noel and Liam.
Well.... im not envious of you at all😅 not one bit!

I'll regret not seeing them back in the 90's. Same with the prodigy. Missed my chance there now Keith's gone. If this is real and happens, it'll be the last chance to see them realistically

Let's see what 8am brings I guess!

Sybrix

Sounds like it’s Noel, Liam and the high flying birds band.

They were my favourite band when I was in my teens, the first albums were immense. Watched them in 2000 at the reebok stadium (Bolton), then again in 2005 at the etihad. Were pretty good in 2000, but Liams voice was shocking in 2005. Wish I went the maine road gig, and wish they would release 'there and then' on bluray.

Probably won't bother for reunion, as Liams voice is even shitter now, won't have the same vibes, rumours tickets will be over £100, and good chance tour is cancelled 🤣.

Tams

I've never been a massive fan of theirs, but I'm psyched for this.

As cliched as Wonderwall is, once I was drinking in a bar in Kathmandu and one of the country's top musicians just drunkenly picked up a guitar and started performing it. Got the whole place alive, even if most didn't know most of the lyrics! T'was truly a thing of beauty.

calistan

I saw Oasis at Glastonbury in presumably their last appearance there, and they were utter shit. Like a really bad tribute band.

On the subject of past-it Manc mega groups, I also saw the Stone Roses in their last ever gig, at the Reading festival - Ian Brown could no longer sing, so he put the microphone in his mouth and made monkey noises, and some girls near me starting crying.

Stay retired, Oasis. Noel Gallagher on his own is actually really good live.

clarky

Gold Member
Sounds like it’s Noel, Liam and the high flying birds band.
Where are you seeing that? Because than would not be an Oasis reunion.

Bonehead plays regularly with Liam so i can't see him not being involved.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I saw Oasis at Glastonbury in presumably their last appearance there, and they were utter shit. Like a really bad tribute band.

On the subject of past-it Manc mega groups, I also saw the Stone Roses in their last ever gig, at the Reading festival - Ian Brown could no longer sing, so he put the microphone in his mouth and made monkey noises, and some girls near me starting crying.

Stay retired, Oasis. Noel Gallagher on his own is actually really good live.
Stone roses at Reading was hardly the Roses.

Also wasn't their last gig.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It was in the Sun news paper this morning.

I saw Liam in July, Bonehead wasn’t playing with him, I think he is still recovering after being ill.

I dont know which show you went to but hes played with him on the Definitely Maybe tour. Just youtube it

Bit disappointing if Its not the whole band, not really an Oasis reunion.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Well.... im not envious of you at all😅 not one bit!

I'll regret not seeing them back in the 90's. Same with the prodigy. Missed my chance there now Keith's gone. If this is real and happens, it'll be the last chance to see them realistically

Let's see what 8am brings I guess!
Prodigy at Knebworth was the highlight of the day for me.

They had the whole crowd breathing in and out to Breathe. I was absolutely smashed. Good times

Last edited:

calistan

Stone roses at Reading was hardly the Roses.

Also wasn't their last gig.
They played again? I got a job at HMV based on that - one of the questions on the application form was about gigs, so I wrote that I'd seen the last ever Stone Roses show (it was only a few weeks later). It piqued the interest of the interviewer. They did split up pretty much as soon as I got hired.

Saw Noel Gallagher at Glastonbury a couple of years ago and the crowd was absolutely vast. He played loads of Oasis songs, everyone knew the words, and I just don't think he needs Liam to keep doing this stuff.

Liam was a great frontman in his prime, but it's clear who the talent was in that group.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Hopefully they’d just focus on the first three albums and pretend anything after didn’t exist.
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants got undeserved hate back then, it's a banger of an album and has some of the best stuff outside of the first two albums. Gas Panic is probably my favourite song of theirs

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Tbh nostalgia has made them better for me.

At the time I thought they were just a heavily influenced by the Beatles band.

But in hindsight I like them. Some top tier songs
I love the fact my younger brother and a lot of the younger gen have fallen in love with Liam Oasis and Noel
So watching his passion for them is refreshing

it’s exciting that they are getting back together

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It was my favourite band.

Objectively, none of them were great singers/musicians. But their 1st and second albums were so damn inspired and well produced, and songs like Live Forever, Masterplan and Wonderwall are trully some of the best pieces of modern music ever made.

Also Liam only had 3 years of good live vocals. 3. Everything after that is just painful to listen to.
He fucked up his voice faster than any other singer ever. He should be in Guiness Book or something.
You heard axel rose recently
Frustrated World Cup GIF

I had to automatically pick blur being from south east London and all.

But now I like both for reasons.
I still (secretly)liked blur too, I just had more exposure to Oasis being from up norf. They had some tunes too

Be funny if they had a blur tribute act on as backup 🤣

clarky

Gold Member
They played again? I got a job at HMV based on that - one of the questions on the application form was about gigs, so I wrote that I'd seen the last ever Stone Roses show (it was only a few weeks later). It piqued the interest of the interviewer. They did split up pretty much as soon as I got hired.

Saw Noel Gallagher at Glastonbury a couple of years ago and the crowd was absolutely vast. He played loads of Oasis songs, everyone knew the words, and I just don't think he needs Liam to keep doing this stuff.

Liam was a great frontman in his prime, but it's clear who the talent was in that group.
Not sure how you missed this? If you liked the Roses, this is the full film and well worth the watch.

Much like The Stone Roses, Oasis was bigger than the sum of its parts. Yes Noel brought the tunes but Liam brought that voice(at the time) and the cool. White on the drums was not too shabby either. Thing is they came across as a gang, if its just the Brothers then I don't think I'll bother.

Should be noted I've seen Liam live a couple of time over the last couple of years and his voice is much recovered. Although not as good as it was obviously.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
You heard axel rose recently
Frustrated World Cup GIF
Saw them at Wembley on the Use Your illusion tour. Mega.

I don't think hes that bad these days too be honest, but the decline was to be expected the way he tortured his vocal cords back in the day.

Last edited:

Hugare

I'm just baffled by this news. So many rumours over the years about a reunion ... Felt like they were never going back together.

I'll be there no matter what

Tams

Not feeling it as much now, as today someone who saw Liam perform a few days ago said he was shite.

I have doubts he can get his vocals back, even in a year.

clarky

Gold Member
Not feeling it as much now, as today someone who saw Liam perform a few days ago said he was shite.

I have doubts he can get his vocals back, even in a year.
I said earlier in the thread. Ive seen him a few times recently his voice is fine, good even.

Last edited:
Top Bottom