• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama Administration Announces Atlanta Regional Multimodal Passenger Terminal Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kad5

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/27/we-can-t-wait-obama-administration-announces-atlanta-regional-multimodal

The Atlanta Regional Multimodal Passenger Terminal Project is a part of a larger economic redevelopment plan for downtown Atlanta, and will also serve as a one of the catalysts for commercial and residential development on 120 acres of underutilized land in the area. The new terminal will create a centralized transit hub to link currently disconnected transportation networks in downtown Atlanta, including high-speed rail, commuter rail, streetcar, Greyhound, MARTA, pedestrians, cyclists and more. The project is funded in part by the Federal Transit Administration and Georgia Department of Transportation’s Public-Private Partnership program. The Federal environmental team for the project, led by FTA and including the Environmental Protection Agency and the General Services Administration, has proactively been working with GDOT and other partners to minimize environmental and archeological impacts through proper project siting and design. These efforts are expected to reduce the amount of time required for reviews by a year or more.

So it looks like the federal government will come in and help out Atlanta with its traffic problems. It sounds nice but i'm skeptical of the implementation.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
First the Cali train system, now Atlanta??? Why's Obama so hellbent on turning America into the United European Conglomerate???

About to sign off for the night...didn't want to leave this hanging. Joking about the Europe thing...

Kad5

Yes. It had the support of the mayor and (republican) governor, but tea partiers saw the word tax and freaked out.

To clarify my position on the T-SPLOST I was merely skeptical of the proposed projects and whether they would actually help with traffic in the long term.

Not that I wasn't for solving the traffic issue.

Enron

Banned
To be fair, its not just Tea Partiers that voted against it. Transportation projects in any state are a hard, hard sell because everyone that lives outside of the one or two major cities in any given state simply thinks they are getting the shit taxed out of them to benefit the cityfolk and not them, so they go AW HELL NAW and vote it the fuck down. It's why Georgia doesn't yet have the light high-speed rail that's been talked about for 20 years and its why this new tax got voted down.

This doesn't KILL the transportation project though, just closes off this particular avenue of funding. The state has already said they will look into other options for funding it.

IrishNinja

that's actually pretty cool, ATL could use the help. we here in miami need proper public transport more than gotham but

rick scott

kehs

Banned
Rick Scott is a such a fucking idiot. Florida is gonna be the last place in the US to tie into the national highspeed railroad system and this is further proof.

Anybody who didn't see another major point being built connecting Florida is near sighted.

/semi off topic rant.

Kad5

Here's a presentation and information board on the investment. This will mostly affect metro atlanta and not the outer suburbs, but it's a start. Downtown is such a clusterfuck to get through.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationce...Public Meeting No2 Presentation_2012-0710.pdf

http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationce...aring/Public Meeting No2 Boards_2012-0711.pdf

And a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoKVEC5hJg&

Is this relevant to the federal project?

Also, just to make sure I read this right there is going to be some kind of public-private partnership on the infrastructure development yes?

Enron

Banned
oh and by the way - This project will do very little to alleviate any of the city's traffic problems. It was sold as such to the voters, but it's really just a get-more-people-and-business-to-downtown project.

Slayven

oh and by the way - This project will do very little to alleviate any of the city's traffic problems. It was sold as such to the voters, but it's really just a get-more-people-and-business-to-downtown project.
One of my fondest memories of the city was trying to leave it on Sunday morning. I saw so many big floppy hats, my God.

Videoneon

This seems like a long road of overhaul. Good for Atlanta, though.

Hawai'i has it's own rail project already underway, though to overall tepid at best support. The unfortunate thing is though I can support the environmental benefits of rail/public transportation, ridership/traffic alleviation is more than likely overstated in the case of my state. For the time being, it's also temporarily messing with some of the existing public bus system routes.

Edit: thinking about how our rail project, I'm growing disillusioned. We'll see what pans out for Atlanta.

cousins

tumblr_lh4tx2bYkx1qgd4eno1_400.gif

cousins

This seems like a long road of overhaul. Good for Atlanta, though.

Hawai'i has it's own rail project already underway, though to overall tepid at best support. The unfortunate thing is though I can support the environmental benefits of rail/public transportation, ridership/traffic alleviation is more than likely overstated in the case of my state. For the time being, it's also temporarily messing with some of the existing public bus system routes.

Edit: thinking about how our rail project, I'm growing disillusioned. We'll see what pans out for Atlanta.

How is living in Hawaii? Is the jobs situation there any good?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does this have to do with the disused beltway that they've been trying to reopen for the longest time? That system would be incredible for getting around the city, but it's been a GOP target since day 1.

Videoneon

How is living in Hawaii? Is the jobs situation there any good?

It's nice, but it would feel noticeably different to someone who hasn't already lived in Hawaii. The pace on the whole generally feels slower than the continental US (having traveled there a few times and going to undergrad there). Temperate climate, amazing weather, goods are slightly more expensive. If you've come from a busy place or one of the bigger cities in your country/the continental US, Hawaii will feel a lot slower, so embrace the change of pace (and possible culture shock) if it's within.

Job market is painful though not as bad as some other places; largely the painful part is getting your foot in the door somewhere. The "who-you-know" mentality is alive and well, Hawaii is a great place for nepotism. Take this, however, from someone who only recently got hired for his first real job. I was with a helpful temp agency before I found the place I'm at now, and there are decent online resources to help you look. Most service-industry type places are hiring.

I'm coming across negative, but there's a lot to like here...just, buyer beware. Let me know if I can help answer anything else

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Atlanta was such a shit hole. Glad to be out of that racist city. Not surprised the original transportation project got vetoed. It's important to the growth of the city but of course the idiots voted it down.

JCX

You see " Atlanta Regional Multimodal Passenger Terminal Project" , I see "Obama Secret Fema Camp Prisoner Transport"

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If people in red states hate welfare so much, why are they okay with receiving an inequal amount of federal money (when compared to how much they pay in vs blue states)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom