• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama Administration Announces Atlanta Regional Multimodal Passenger Terminal Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atlanta was such a shit hole. Glad to be out of that racist city. Not surprised the original transportation project got vetoed. It's important to the growth of the city but of course the idiots voted it down.

What? This is the first time I've ever heard of Atlanta being called racist. Georgia yes...but Atlanta??

Expand this to LA-SF- Sac-Portland and others.

Please!

I love driving but to have a public option to go from home to work, would be amazing.

Pimpwerx

Miami could use some love. Yeah, we're at the end of a peninsula, but give us some damn useful mass transit already. God knows the counties aren't interested in extending the metrorail beyond fucking Hialeah. PEACE.

Enron

Banned
I have never lived in a more segregated city.

Uh, what? The intown neighborhoods are literally sequences of black and white areas right up on top of each other.

Does this have to do with the disused beltway that they've been trying to reopen for the longest time? That system would be incredible for getting around the city, but it's been a GOP target since day 1.

GOP target? What the hell are you talking about? Misinformation and a chance to invoke the GOP BOOGEYMAN in the OT, why am I not surprised. The Atlanta Beltline is a city project - in a city that is overwhelmingly Democrat. The Beltline's main issues have not been "GOP" opposition (which doesn't even exist quite frankly) but resistance from the neighborhoods that they affect and infighting amongst the developers. Developers sold land to the city for the project in exchange for the right to develop along the beltline tracts - high rise condos and multiuse residential/retail - which the neighborhoods fought. One of the developers got pissed and took his ball and went home. GDOT has fought the project as well - they wanted some of the Beltline land for state rail projects. Pieces of the Beltline have already been developed and opened - the city is moving forward, very slowly.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Uh, what? The intown neighborhoods are literally sequences of black and white areas right up on top of each other.

If he lived there during the mid 90s, he's right. That's how it was then, it's a lot more mixed now.

People talking about Atlanta like it's some mudhole hicktown have clearly not been there in the past 10 years or so. It's an awesome city now.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I have never lived in a more segregated city.

This is kinda off, midtown and parts of downtown are a literal mix of different races. Unless you mean Alpharetta, which isn't even in Atlanta anyway

Either way, this is good, driving 75/85 (and even 285) is a right pain in the ass

Maybe Obama can teach us how to drive in rain next!

rpmurphy

This is kinda off, midtown and parts of downtown are a literal mix of different races. Unless you mean Alpharetta, which isn't even in Atlanta anyway

Either way, this is good, driving 75/85 (and even 285) is a right pain in the ass

Maybe Obama can teach us how to drive in rain next!
Compared to Chicago where you basically have >90% white communities in the north suburbs, Alpharetta and even Suwanee has a way more diverse community.

Kad5

He's right. The only other city with a hypersegregation issue like Atlanta is Mobile Alabama.

Buckhead is filled with rich whites while the more southern parts of Atlanta are predominantly poor blacks. Southwestern areas have richer black communities I believe. It extends beyond the city itself.

I live in a northern suburban community (East Cobb) and it's primarily upper-middle class white folks. Not saying that there aren't rich minorities here and there but again they're a minority of people.

The sprawl makes it harder for the city to integrate compared to other more dense cities.

600px-Race_and_ethnicity_Atlanta.png

Red is White, Blue is Black, Green is Asian, Orange is Hispanic, Gray is Other, and each dot is 25 people.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If he lived there during the mid 90s, he's right. That's how it was then, it's a lot more mixed now.

People talking about Atlanta like it's some mudhole hicktown have clearly not been there in the past 10 years or so. It's an awesome city now.
I lived there in 08-11. I lived in the Druid Hills area, Buckhead, and midtown. It is not at all a racially integrated community.

I'm glad to have left.

Kad5

I lived there in 08-11. I lived in the Druid Hills area, Buckhead, and midtown. It is not at all a racially integrated community.

I'm glad to have left.

Dekalb county is probably the most integrated county in the metro area.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dekalb county is probably the most integrated county in the metro area.
Still isn't that great.

Wtf? Move up north. Hell, out west. Atlanta is way better than Chicago or San Francisco (one of the worst) in terms of segregation in big cities.
I've lived in SF. Great city. I never had an issue socializing with people of every background. Atlanta has huge issues with that. You can see different racial communities at Opera. It just depends on which night you go at because it self segregates.

I'm from the north east so this is why Atlanta's segregation immediately stuck out to me. Maybe I'm used to a different kind of community and there are other cities out there that are worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom