• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So you only want certain fraud prosecuted? I thought OWS was fraud in general, otherwise it seems like they are only protesting one event and the issue is somehow limited to only one set of factors.
They are not protesting all and every forms of fraud.
Why do you think that they should?

AlimNassor said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/oct/26/occupy-oakland-protests-live#block-9

An Iraq War Vet was shot in the head by Police in Oakland. Now he's suffering from massive swelling of the brain and a cracked skull. Oakland cops are getting violent.

Carpenter arrived at Highland hospital in Oakland at 11pm last night, and has been allowed to visit Olsen – a former US marine, who did two tours of Iraq – this morning, she said.

"I'm just absolutely devastated that someone who did two tours of Iraq and came home safely is now lying in a US hospital because of the domestic police force," Carpenter said.

She said Olsen moved to the Bay area in July. The former marine, 24, left the military in 2010. Olsen is originally from Wisconsin, Carpenter said, adding that his family have been informed about his condition. A "military buddy" is also on his way to visit Olsen in hospital.

Absolutely disgusting.

Chichikov

It seems like a tear gas canister hit him in the head when descending, is that correct?
Seem so (though there were some reports about rubber bullets, and such injury can be consistent with those as well).

If the cops are shooting 40mm from that range (and again, I have no idea if that the ordinance that they're using, nor can I be sure from where it was shot) than they're at the very least criminally negligent.
This is WAY below the safe distance, and you never supposed to fire those things into crowds anyway, they're almost impossible to aim.

Chichikov said:
Seem so (though there were some reports about rubber bullets, and such injury can be consistent with those as well).

If the cops are shooting 40mm from that range (and again, I have no idea if that the ordinance that they're using, nor can I be sure from where it was shot) than they're at the very least criminally negligent.
This is WAY below the safe distance, and you never supposed to fire those things into crowds anyway, they're almost impossible to aim.
True, honestly when I heard shot I was expecting with a bullet. We'll need to see what the range it was shot from as you point out.

kame-sennin said:
I agree with Deku on this one. We need free speech in America. Sometimes that means tolerating hate speech from fringe groups, and sometimes it means tolerating bullshit propaganda like Fox. Neither is healthy for the country, but loosing free speech would be a greater blow. If we granted Obama the power to drag Fox in front of Congress, we grant president Bachman or Perry the same power in the future.

Fox News is a corporation, not a person. It doesn't have free speech rights. Regulating corporations--including media corps--is our prerogative and duty. That doesn't mean Fox News has to be shut down. It does mean we should have no compunctions regulating its or any other corporate media's behavior.

Part of OWS's mission is to reestablish public control over the corporate form.

jorma

is now taking requests
kame-sennin said:
Sigh. Only you could come up with that interpretation of my post.

Well you need to be specific. I totally thought that you were advocating that Gupta should be released with all charges dropped!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
CHEEZMO™ said:
First I've really heard of ACORN.

Someone give a low-down?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Community_Organizations_for_Reform_Now

The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) was a collection of community-based organizations in the United States that advocated for low- and moderate-income families by working on neighborhood safety, voter registration, health care, affordable housing, and other social issues.

FoxNews and their cronies basically destroyed them with some made up bullshit because they helped minorities and poor people to go out and vote. They ended up being completely defunded.

ACORN was shut down in the wake of the September 2009 release of selectively edited videos by two conservative activists using a hidden camera to elicit damaging responses from low-level ACORN employees that appeared to advise them how to hide prostitution activities and avoid taxes.[9] A nationwide controversy immediately ensued resulting in a loss of funding from government and private donors,[10][11][12] including a "defund ACORN" act passed by congress. Following the publication of the videos, four different independent investigations by various state and city Attorneys General and the GAO released in 2009 and 2010 cleared ACORN, finding its employees had not engaged in criminal activities and that the organization had managed its federal funding appropriately, and calling the videos deceptively and selectively edited to present the workers in the worst possible light. Despite this, by March 2010, 15 of ACORN's 30 state chapters had already closed[10] and the group announced it was closing its remaining state chapters and disbanding.[13]

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This guy got shot in the head with a rubber bullet in the Oakland Occupy camp:

433190207.jpg

Plaguefox

True, honestly when I heard shot I was expecting with a bullet. We'll need to see what the range it was shot from as you point out.

I saw a video earlier of what was allegedly Olsen falling down after a tear gas canister exploded a few feet from him (so it was shrapnel? I admit I'm not all that well-informed). I... don't know which link it was but I am pretty sure it was in this thread.

Puddles

Banned
Chichikov, did you previously work in law enforcement? I'm wondering, because you seem very knowledgeable about tear gas/rubber bullets, etc.

empty vessel said:
Fox News is a corporation, not a person. It doesn't have free speech rights. Regulating corporations--including media corps--is our prerogative and duty. That doesn't mean Fox News has to be shut down. It does mean we should have no compunctions regulating its or any other corporate media's behavior.

This is a tough issue for me, I don't feel great about either side of the argument. I agree that corporations should be subject to regulations, but ultimately, any media organization is a collection of people expressing themselves. How does one regulate the speech of a corporation without infringing on the rights of the individuals who are producing the message?

jorma

is now taking requests
Puddles said:
Chichikov, did you previously work in law enforcement? I'm wondering, because you seem very knowledgeable about tear gas/rubber bullets, etc.

IDF i'm pretty sure.

Chichikov

Puddles said:
Nah, I was politically active in a country that has much more liberal use of such measures and I served in the military, where I sadly got to deploy such toys.

jorma said:
IDF i'm pretty sure.
Well, I didn't want to derail this thread (as every mention of Israel seem to do) so I was going to be all hush hush about that, but yeah.

jorma

is now taking requests
Chichikov said:
Well, to not derail this thread I was going to be hush hush about that, but yeah.

i'm sorry
I dont think it should derail anything though, we have enough other threads to... talk about the IDF in :p

Chichikov

jorma said:
i'm sorry
I dont think it should derail anything though, we have enough other threads to... talk about the IDF in :p
No worries, one is fine, twice is okay, but if you say it three times, fortified_concept shows and poop all over your thread.

jorma said:
I'm pretty sure you're not going to find me in those...

kame-sennin said:
This is a tough issue for me, I don't feel great about either side of the argument. I agree that corporations should be subject to regulations, but ultimately, any media organization is a collection of people expressing themselves. How does one regulate the speech of a corporation without infringing on the rights of the individuals who are producing the message?

I understand the hesitancy, but I think that's borne of a concerted effort and struggle spanning decades to get people to view corporations as "collections of people." But they are not that. The corporation is a separate legal entity that is an extension of government power and that empowers the people in it. Because they are wielding power granted by the public through the corporate form, imposing restraints on its exercise is our prerogative. Corporations exist solely to serve the people--that's why we authorize our government to create them. If they are engaging in behavior that is detrimental to society--whatever that behavior is--it is our collective responsibility to fix it.

Shutting down Fox News* does not, for example, deprive Bill O'Reilly of his right to free speech. He remains as free as the rest of us to speak his mind as a citizen without interference. All we have done is take away his corporate platform, to which he has no entitlement and which is our prerogative as its creator and the ultimate source of its power.

* I am not proposing shutting down Fox News, I am just using it as an extreme example to show that it is not possible to violate a citizen's right to free speech by acting against a corporation.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't tread carefully. Even matters of grace should be dealt with in a fair way and as respectfully as possible to the individuals involved. But the public is the ultimate arbiter of what best serves society's interests, and the corporate form--which obtains its life and power from an act of our government--can never trump that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ether_Snake said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/rs8owx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't see the purpose of this. A lot of false equivalence in this that does nothing but promote division among people.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
kame-sennin said:

The FCC already does this with over the air TV content in regards to sex/violence/language.

jorma

is now taking requests
ReBurn said:
I don't see the purpose of this. A lot of false equivalence in this that does nothing but promote division among people.

the thing with the assault rifles does bug me a lot.

ReBurn

Gold Member
jorma said:
the thing with the assault rifles does bug me a lot.
But what does that have to do with anything? It's not like every single person who showed up at a Tea Party rally brought an AK-47. That image is just trolling of the lowest order. It's ok to not like the Tea Party, but to try to cast it as the antithesis of the Occupy movement and use contrived statements to support baseless conclusions, like that it stands for the 1%, is pretty weak.

I guess I just don't understand why people even try to compare them, much less with so much bias. I think it devalues what Occupy stands for.

noah111

Still Alive
Wouldn't a start for the Occupy movement to push is supporting the 'Green Party of the United States'? Their goals seem so inline, and it is an official party with representatives in states, right?

Where does the movement go in terms of getting results? I mean, 'reform' almost seems like a half solution, if one at all at this point, in this political atmosphere.

Ether_Snake said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/rs8owx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Funny thing is conservative radio/TV frames it exactly opposite: media celebrates the occupation, the movement is racist (against corporate Jewish overlords), promotes violence, etc.

At this point, who gives a fuck about comparisons.

Enron

Banned
ReBurn said:
But what does that have to do with anything? It's not like every single person who showed up at a Tea Party rally brought an AK-47. That image is just trolling of the lowest order. It's ok to not like the Tea Party, but to try to cast it as the antithesis of the Occupy movement and use contrived statements to support baseless conclusions, like that it stands for the 1%, is pretty weak.

I guess I just don't understand why people even try to compare them, much less with so much bias. I think it devalues what Occupy stands for.

Occupy Atlanta had a guy with an assault rifle in its ranks yesterday before they got kicked out. Says he was there lending his support. Gun nuts support OWS too, apparently.

Kosmo

Banned
empty vessel said:

Where do you draw the line? Do you say PETA can't say certain things because they are an organization, not a person? Sean Hannity can stand on a street corner saying what he wants, can put out a podcast, say it on the radio, and give his opinion on TV. At what point do we say someone can say X on a street corner but not X on TV or radio?

If you don't want to deal with people in power who would suppress speech favoring YOUR opinion, you can't suppress those you don't agree with.

Chichikov

Kosmo said:
Where do you draw the line? Do you say PETA can't say certain things because they are an organization, not a person? Sean Hannity can stand on a street corner saying what he wants, can put out a podcast, say it on the radio, and give his opinion on TV. At what point do we say someone can say X on a street corner but not X on TV or radio?

If you don't want to deal with people in power who would suppress speech favoring YOUR opinion, you can't suppress those you don't agree with.
We draw the line wherever we, the people want.

Personally, as much as I hate them, I don't think that PETA crossed the line where it should be dissolved, but if enough people think it did, the constitution should not provide it protection against the will of the people.

Chichikov said:

Personally, as much as I hate them, I don't think that PETA crossed the line where it should be dissolved, but if enough people think it did, the constitution should not provide it protection against the will of the people.

And how is that calculated? 51%?

Chichikov said:

WAT. That's the whole point. No one wants the KKK to hold a rally in their town, but they have the right to do so (provided they get all the permits, ect).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
WAT. That's the whole point. No one wants the KKK to hold a rally in their town, but they have the right to do so (provided they get all the permits, ect).
The KKK is a corporation?

demon said:
The KKK is a corporation?

No, it's just the easiest example of a group that it's pretty much universally agreed that their message is abhorrent. I'd gather that you would find a majority of people would want them censored.

Going back to Fox News, they are a corporation, one that runs a news channel. Freedom of the press, ect,ect,ect.

Chichikov

teruterubozu said:
And how is that calculated? 51%?
Same way we decide everything in a representative democracy -
We elect officials who will hopefully advance that goal.

This is really no different than any other decision we can make through our government.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
People have the right to say what they want, but I don't think they have the right to incorporate (and the benefits that comes with it).
Are you suggesting that corporation is a basic human right?
It's not like there aren't already limitation on who and how can do that.

Kosmo said:

We never say a person cannot say X on TV or radio. We say a corporation cannot do X, Y, and Z, and X, Y, and Z can be anything. Sean Hannity can say anything he wants on radio or TV. Whether he can do it through a corporation depends on what the corporation is permitted to do, which is up to us.

Kosmo said:

I'm not in favor of suppressing any person's speech. I oppose virtually all limits on free speech. The point is that exercising control over what corporations can and cannot do doesn't implicate free speech at all.

Kosmo

Banned
empty vessel said:
We never say a person cannot say X on TV or radio. We say a corporation cannot do X, Y, and Z, and X, Y, and Z can be anything. Sean Hannity can say anything he wants on radio or TV. Whether he can do it through a corporation depends on what the corporation is permitted to do, which is up to us.

I'm not in favor of suppressing any person's speech. I oppose virtually all limits on free speech. The point is that exercising control over what corporations can and cannot do doesn't implicate free speech at all.

I need an example of how you distinguish between a person saying something and why saying the same thing should be banned if they are saying it on TV station X.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Myansie said:
Jesus Christ they put him in intensive care. To keep things in perspective it costs $3,000 a day to keep someone in intensive care. A doctor doesn't make that decision because of political motivations. They nearly killed the guy.

Hey man, we gotta make sure the squatters don't get violent and start raping people on their way to work. If that means we gotta brain one with a rubber bullet (it's rubber, ffs, it's not even deadly!) once in awhile then so be it. They really shouldn't be there anyway.

Chichikov

Kosmo said:
I need an example of how you distinguish between a person saying something and why saying the same thing should be banned if they are saying it on TV station X.
I have a right for free speech, if you try to stop me of saying the Tom Brady is a cunt, you're violating my first amendment rights and I can seek legal remedy.
However, if ESPN decide to cancel my Tom Brady Hate Hour, they're not infringing on my free speech.

Kosmo

Banned
Chichikov said:
I have a right for free speech, if you try to stop me of saying the Tom Brady is a cunt, you're violating my first amendment rights and I can seek legal remedy.
However, if ESPN decide to cancel my Tom Brady Hate Hour, they're not infringing on my free speech.

ESPN is not a government entity, and therefore can do whatever they want. What EV is suggesting is that there should be certain things corporations (tv stations) should not be able to say to push political agendas and if those regulations are violated, presumably they could be prosecuted.

I was wondering is it too late to copyright/trademark the phrase "occupy wall street" and start selling merchandise? t-shirts, coffee cups, and what not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom