• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Hoping what? I can disagree with a mod on non-board rule issues, I mean Amirox used to be a mod.

It also means the comparisons to the civil rights movement is pointless and OWS supporters trying to get free points trying to defend the use of low level force against an unlawful assembly.

Yeah, you can't address relatively simple analogies or basic arguments on their merits. That's ok. Not all of us can be good at it.

Here, try to read and understand:

That's pretty much my point. You seem to think that your opinion on the validity of Occupy matters, but it really doesn't.

Also, there is a "fundamental difference" between the goals of every protest movement ever. That doesn't render comparisons between them moot, especially wrt. political, police, and military response.

Premise: that although some levels of economic inequality are acceptable, the *current* level of economic inequality in the United States is unacceptable.

Agreed, their should be a baseline of care and services that help to mitigate the effect of economic inequality. It's desirable both to lower classes to help better their lives and be productive as it tends to also improve health, learning, and eventually social mobility. The question is what works and what doesn't work. It's a benefit to the upper classes a happy workforce will be more productive and not protesting or wanting revolution it's a plus plussituatin both sides. The real is how to manage the cost and know what programs help close the gaps to artificially closer levels withou also infringing on ones rights or the health of the economy.

jorma

is now taking requests
Oh well one day you might finally get better at your debating skills.

It's insane that you think you have any. Your dodging and gliding does not make you look as clever as you seem to think, it's mainly just annoying. Being annoying might give you thrills, but it does not make anyone think you know how to argue your points. I'm not completely sure it's just a forum schtick but i hope so for your sake.

Regarding the pepper spraying incident at UC Davis this past week, here's the relevant contact info for the public officials/university involved:

Peppersprayer Lt. John Pike: (530) 752-3989
UC Davis Police Chief Annette M. Spicuzza: (530) 752-3113
Email: amspicuzza@ucdavis.edu
Patrol Watch Commander: (530) 752-1172
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/UCDavis
Complaint Form: http://police.ucdavis.edu/other/commendation_complaint_form.pdf/view

You can write and/or call to let them know your thoughts.
Hey look, something that's actually about Occupy instead of just name-calling!

It's insane that you think you have any. Your dodging and gliding does not make you look as clever as you seem to think, it's mainly just annoying. Being annoying might give you thrills, but it does not make anyone think you know how to argue your points. I'm not completely sure it's just a forum schtick but i hope so for your sake.

jorma don't take this the wrong way,but I honestly couldn't give a rats ass what you think of me one way or the other.

Regarding the pepper spraying incident at UC Davis this past week, here's the relevant contact info for the public officials/university involved:

Peppersprayer Lt. John Pike: (530) 752-3989
UC Davis Police Chief Annette M. Spicuzza: (530) 752-3113
Email: amspicuzza@ucdavis.edu
Patrol Watch Commander: (530) 752-1172
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/UCDavis
Complaint Form: http://police.ucdavis.edu/other/commendation_complaint_form.pdf/view

You can write and/or call to let them know your thoughts.

great stuff, thanks.

and guys, seriously, stop replying to Manos! he will just continue to hinder any form of real discussion by his constant straight from Schopenhauer debate tactics. This are literally textbook techniques meant to dislodge discussion and turn it into a slug fest, which it has turned into any time that he posts. notice that when he is absent, we discuss like adults again? again, every single time you waste synapses trying to muddle through his complex, contradictory and often childish logic and demeanor, you are weakening any form of discourse and the philosophy behind the movement itself.

here's his playbook; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Being_Right

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
This user is on your Ignore List.

thats what this page looks like. I kinda wish the gaf update just took out any mention of an ignored poster completely. then again, i guess it would be a pretty confusing read that way.

I've been thinking, NYPD really did OWS a favor by kicking them out.

It saved the protester the embarrassment of having to vacate when the weather turned.

All the city had to do was have more patience, and it would have gone better for them.

It saved the protester the embarrassment of having to vacate when the weather turned.

All the city had to do was have more patience, and it would have gone better for them.

In a way, yes. We never will know how the winter would have affected the protests. The response from authority has been so wrong, they could have at least done it the British way: Allow them to have their time, it peters out then you put through the legislation they were protesting against anyway.

I like this image I saw today.

UsyHa.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
In a way, yes. We never will know how the winter would have affected the protests. The response from authority has been so wrong, they could have at least done it the British way: Allow them to have their time, it peters out then you put through the legislation they were protesting against anyway.

I like this image I saw today.

UsyHa.jpg

god damn.

great stuff, thanks.

and guys, seriously, stop replying to Manos! he will just continue to hinder any form of real discussion by his constant straight from Schopenhauer debate tactics. This are literally textbook techniques meant to dislodge discussion and turn it into a slug fest, which it has turned into any time that he posts. notice that when he is absent, we discuss like adults again? again, every single time you waste synapses trying to muddle through his complex, contradictory and often childish logic and demeanor, you are weakening any form of discourse and the philosophy behind the movement itself.

here's his playbook; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Being_Right

Ah look Bromega scared of me posting. That's pretty hilarious

thats what this page looks like. I kinda wish the gaf update just took out any mention of an ignored poster completely. then again, i guess it would be a pretty confusing read that way.
But it didn't, so you have to live with it.

Back on page like 70(50ppp) we agreed to all just ignore anything Manos says. Yeah, let's do that.

Yeah, don't see that happening Timey

Barrett2

That was the contention on the Slate political podcast this past Friday. I think it's a good point. Its been really warm this fall, when the first cold streak hit, Zucotti would have lost a lot of steam, IMO.

maharg

idspispopd
That was the contention on the Slate political podcast this past Friday. I think it's a good point. Its been really warm this fall, when the first cold streak hit, Zucotti would have lost a lot of steam, IMO.

I dunno. Occupy Edmonton is still out there and it hit -30C with windchill the other night. And there's a lot fewer people to work with, and fewer direct issues to be angry about than at the epicentre of the movement.

That said, violent responses are obviously fuel to the fire most of the time.

Very nice info-graphics about the wealth distribution in America. Can be printed directly onto dollar bills.

http://occupygeorge.com/

As for it getting colder outside, the occupation of physical building space is a possibility. I wrote a lot about this during my MA, and I am considering a PhD to continue the subject. In the UK, at the London protests the "occupiers" have re-established an unused bank property, renaming it the "bank of ideas" and they are hoping to open it to the public as a new social space.

I read an article about it happening in the US recently, I can't remember where? I think it was an unused car sales building that the "occupiers" had re-opened as a place for the community to come. Obviously the police reaction was to go down to the site as if they were in Baghdad, go down to the building with guns and tear gas and remove the occupants.

epmode

and guys, seriously, stop replying to Manos! he will just continue to hinder any form of real discussion by his constant straight from Schopenhauer debate tactics. This are literally textbook techniques meant to dislodge discussion and turn it into a slug fest, which it has turned into any time that he posts.
I'm surprised that I've never heard of this before. I found a different synopsis and it's pretty interesting: http://www.indiauncut.com/iublog/article/38-ways-to-win-an-argument-arthur-schopenhauer/

Barrett2

I dunno. Occupy Edmonton is still out there and it hit -30C with windchill the other night. And there's a lot fewer people to work with, and fewer direct issues to be angry about than at the epicentre of the movement.

That said, violent responses are obviously fuel to the fire most of the time.

Yeah, I guess there's no way to really know how the NYC crowds would have reacted had there been no crackdown.

That's a fantastic sign. Another reason where a more centralized leadership would help. Find the most creative, witty people in the group, put them in charge of churning out signs like this.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Same here. It's refreshing to not have to look at Manos' posts anymore, although I wish they were blocked in quotes too. He's not just a right-winger with a differing opinion, he's a nutcase with fascist tendencies and has no interest (or no ability) in having an intellectually honest discussion. Everyone should just put him on ignore.

Same here. It's refreshing to not have to look at Manos' posts anymore, although I wish they were blocked in quotes too. He's not just a right-winger with a differing opinion, he's a nutcase with fascist tendencies and has no interest (or no ability) in having an intellectually honest discussion. Everyone should just put him on ignore.
That's a wonderful approach to dissenting opinion.

Slayven

Very nice info-graphics about the wealth distribution in America. Can be printed directly onto dollar bills.

http://occupygeorge.com/

As for it getting colder outside, the occupation of physical building space is a possibility. I wrote a lot about this during my MA, and I am considering a PhD to continue the subject. In the UK, at the London protests the "occupiers" have re-established an unused bank property, renaming it the "bank of ideas" and they are hoping to open it to the public as a new social space.

I read an article about it happening in the US recently, I can't remember where? I think it was an unused car sales building that the "occupiers" had re-opened as a place for the community to come. Obviously the police reaction was to go down to the site as if they were in Baghdad, go down to the building with guns and tear gas and remove the occupants.
Wouldn't fly since the US is a lot less tolerant of squatters. They tried that tactic with an art gallery in the early days and got tossed out on their ass.

Trying to stifle a dissenting view, telling and insisting other people not to talk to a person, and reveling in their ability to not listen to people who have a different viewpoint, sounds. like a fascist behavior type.
You are still able to say what you want, nobody has stiffled your ability to do so. Furthermore, the rest of what you describe is free speech. Just because there is right wing radio, does not mean I should keep listening to it or refrain from advising others not to listen to it, once I have a clear image of what it is. Everyone here has a very good image of your opinions on the various subjects.

Jenga

Banned
very ironic seeing OWS supporters supporting the stifling of free speech in the same way the imperialist government has censored them

You are still able to say what you want, nobody has stiffled your ability to do so. Furthermore, the rest of what you describe is free speech. Just because there is right wing radio, does not mean I should keep listening to it or refrain from advising others not to listen to it, once I have a clear image of what it is. Everyone here has a very good image of your opinions on the various subjects.
Numerous people including the OP have tried to tell me to stop posting in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom