• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think those skills that were mentioned, are skills that any graduate from a decent degree program would need in order to do the papers and projects required for a degree. It just seems like something that it more part of the general experience, then a degree in itself. Maybe I'm just overestimating the skills of graduates, or what it takes.

Although I'm not one to disparage liberal arts degrees, library science is far closer to an engineering degree than, say, an English degree. The need to organize information is a real problem that societies face. Librarians are there to overcome entropy with respect to information the same way engineers are there to overcome entropy with respect to matter. Consider if somebody dumps 10,000 books in your house. And then I come in and ask for a specific one. How are you going to find it? Having a college education may prepare you to be able to devise a system to categorize, track, and manage this much information, but I, for one, would prefer the head start of an education directly in library sciences. The job actually can pay quite well, too. Many librarians earn six figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_science

Ripclawe

Banned
So does this admission by a protestor mean anything from the UC Davis pepper spray

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/12355

AMY GOODMAN: I want to turn to Elli Pearson. Elli, describe exactly what happened on Friday.

ELLI PEARSON: Well, we were protesting together, and the riot cops came at us, and we linked arms and sat down peacefully to protest their presence on our campus.

And at one point, they were—we had encircled them, and they were trying to leave, and they were trying to clear a path. And so, we sat down, linked arms, and said that if they wanted to clear the path, they would have to go through us. But we were on the ground, you know, heads down.

And all I could see was people telling me to cover my head, protect myself, and put my head down. And the next thing I know, I was pepper-sprayed.

and any OWS protestor dumb enough to get in the way of a Black Friday Shopper, you will wish you got pepper sprayed, Those BFS'ers don't play, they will hurt you.

Are you being pro-OWS or anti-OWS here? Because there are plenty of anti-intellectuals in each. A lot of Occupy people think it's okay to shout over people who are smarter than they are, even if they actually agree with them.

I think you are confusing an organized protest for anti-intellectualism. They are very different things.

akira28

Travis, I love librarians. I almost dated one, until I told her about my fantasies about making out on top of a giant book....

PaperMediaGAF supports library science, travis...come back.

Eteric Rice

Travis, I love librarians. I almost dated one, until I told her about my fantasies about making out on top of a giant book....

BRTky.jpg

Anyway...

I wonder if they can have a projector going at the OWS? Playing videos like this would let people know that this kind of shit has been going on from corporations for years. And undoing it is vital for the good of every American.

I think you are confusing an organized protest for anti-intellectualism. They are very different things.
No, I'm not just talking about protests. I'm talking about Occupiers who write stuff on places like Reddit disavowing intellectuals like Paul Krugman who are on their side because even though they're on their side, they're still part of the establishment, and OWS wants nothing to do with the current establishment. Which is a mistake, imo, if they want to actually accomplish anything.

alstein

Agreed, I didn't mean for it to come off as anything other than an honest question, which got answered.

So does this admission by a protestor mean anything from the UC Davis pepper spray

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/12355
Yes, but no one will admit it.

and any OWS protestor dumb enough to get in the way of a Black Friday Shopper, you will wish you got pepper sprayed, Those BFS'ers don't play, they will hurt you.

Oh man they would be begging for the cops to save them then. My friend and I popped in a Walmart for a social observation last night and I think he summed it best up when we left as, "That shit is cray" lol

Wow, I never would have thought such a mundane, harmless response would have made me quit GAF, but this reply has!

Alstein, you've been very helpful.

Bye.

Wow, Alestein did that, you would have think it would have been me. Lol

yep, learn to be a librarian, do research, catalog, cross reference, etc. it's legit. law firms need one for example.

Yeah law librarians generally have JDs in addition to library science.

akira28

I didn't say that it was...I just explained why someone would.

Especially with antsy ad purchasers willing to withhold support.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
finally saw inside job, pretty damning. im sure people who dont agree with it see that george soros is in it and immediately dismiss it without watching

Wazzim

Banned
That's not censorship. It's regional variants in covers driven by likely reader interest and/or commercial reasons. The Economist has differing covers for it's regions all the time (even with the same stories).

Sorry but that looks like cencorship, why else would the whole world have the same cover except the USA? I'm sure you would have commercial reasons for different covers in Asia than in Europe but they still used the same for those regions.
Stop denying everything ok, it is too obvious now.

@ToxicAdam that makes it look even worse than I thought it was, every critical cover is changed to one with a irrelevant bullshit subject for the US version. lmao

akira28

I can't tell, were you agreeing or disagreeing?

"Hay guise! LOL" type fluff versus scary world affecting trends?

It's like someone decided that covers were too much of a downer or something and changed them for the American audience. International TIME looks cooler but much more stark and sober. US Time looks like it wants to be pre-beast Newsweek or something. or USA Today.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Occupy LA has an eviction notice: 12:01am Monday (Sunday night). The response should be interesting given how peaceful OLA/LAPD has been compared to other Occupations.

akira28

I haven't been tracking his post history in this thread so I can't tell if he's pro of con. But he's the PoliGAF champ so maybe he wasn't trying to disprove it? I think maybe he was referring to the herpy derpiness of Time mag...maybe?

ToxicAdam

I can't tell, were you agreeing or disagreeing?

"Hay guise! LOL" type fluff versus scary world affecting trends?

It's like someone decided that covers were too much of a downer or something and changed them for the American audience. International TIME looks cooler but much more stark and sober. US Time looks like it wants to be pre-beast Newsweek or something. or USA Today.

Covers sell magazines, they are not always intended to denote the importance of a story. Time is hugely successful, so I am going to guess they understand what stories are going to sell and what is going to make a non-reader pick it up and buy it.

So, it's not like people are being shielded from the content, it's all inside the little book they are trying to get you to buy. Calm down, it's okay.

Plus, Time has always done this. Newsweek even used to run ads that chided them on it back in the 80's.

@ToxicAdam that makes it look even worse than I thought it was, every critical cover is changed to one with a irrelevant bullshit subject for the US version. lmao

Well, it was collected by someone to make the point. But, it just shows you that it's not an isolated thing and it's something they have always historically done.

PJV3

What is the "admission" that is supposed to mean something exactly?

The police surrounding people with riotshields, hemets and batons = good and deserving of a medal.
People surrounding the police, sat on the floor with heads bowed = bad and deserving of a pepper spraying.

jorma

is now taking requests
The police surrounding people with riotshields, hemets and batons = good and deserving of a medal.
People surrounding the police, sat on the floor with heads bowed = bad and deserving of a pepper spraying.

I mean i'm sure someone who did not actually see the video could be convinced that there is some meaning to the "admission", but once you actually see what happened i'm not sure how the argument can be made that the police was administering pepper spray because they were surrounded.

I mean i'm sure someone who did not actually see the video could be convinced that there is some meaning to the "admission", but once you actually see what happened i'm not sure how the argument can be made that the police was administering pepper spray because they were surrounded.

The police officer pepper sprayed the students because they refused to move, not because he felt threatened by anybody. And even if he felt threatened by some people, then, quite obviously, he sprayed the wrong people. But we know this wasn't the case, because after the pepper spraying, the police officers did not flee for their safety. I am exceedingly confident that not a single (armed) police officer on that campus that day ever felt even the slightest twinge of fear from (unarmed) students, apologists for state violence notwithstanding.

Angry Fork

Not only that but the people sitting down "blocking" them were like 10-12 students. You can clearly see in the video police could've gone around them.

This is so fucked up if real.

JambiBum

So I want to make a thread about this but I'm not sure if it's already been brought up and I just missed it or what. Apparently on either Monday or Tuesday the Senate is going to vote on a bill that will allow the POTUS to use the military to arrest US citizens on US soil and hold them indefinitely. I thought that it might have been fake at first but apparently the ACLU is wanting people to contact their Senators here

Here are some details about the bill. If someone wants to make a thread about it go ahead.

Since Occupy Wall Street began, American police officers have arrested thousands of people for exercising their constitutionally protected right to protest. On Monday or Tuesday, the US Senate will vote on a bill that would give the President the ability to order the military to arrest and imprison American citizens anywhere in the world for an indefinite period of time.

A provision of S. 1867, or the National Defense Authorization Act bill, written by Senators John McCain and Carl Levin, declares American soil a battlefield and allows the President and all future Chief Executives to order the military to arrest and detain American citizens, innocent or not, without charge or trial. In other words, if this bill passes and the President signs it, OWS protesters or any American could end up arrested and indefinitely locked up by the military without the guaranteed right to due process or a speedy trial.

This bill was written in secret and approved by committee without a single hearing. Senate Republicans support the bill and enough Democrats support it to give it a great chance of passing. This provision does have opponents. President Obama has threatened to veto the bill and even Ron Paul is concerned enough to bring it up during one of the GOP debates. An amendment called the Udall Amendment has been offered by Democratic Senator Mark Udall that would delete the dangerous provision.

From here

slit

God what scumbags, trying to sneak this obviously unconstitutional shit through. We must have some of the stupidest or indifferent citizens in the world if there's no stink made about this, which there probably won't be, except from maybe OWS. I mean that's just complete treachery and any politician that supports this and survives politically will just prove once again that this country has no scruples.

Renmei

Banned
link to reddit post

The article shows a pretty shoty understanding of the American political process, but that aside it seems unlikely that this will pass. Even without the internet getting a hold of this amendment, you still are faced with the fact that the government hasn't really been able to pass any funding related measure. Also, it isn't really as bad as the article says it is. For instance, this provision doesn't authorize the government to detain us citizens indefinitely as the article claims...
"The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States." (sec 1032, b, 1).
This sentiment is further affirmed by case law (meaning even if this section were to pass, it wouldn't be legal and would be struck down by the courts) such as Hamdi v Rumsfeld which affirmed detainees rights to due process. Hamdi in particular addresses the exact issue of legislation like this by affirming that "although Congress authorized the detention of combatants in the narrow circumstances alleged in this case, due process demands that a citizen held in the United States as an enemy combatant be given a meaningful opportunity to contest the factual basis for that detention before a neutral decision maker." (Hamvi v Rumsfeld, majority opinion).
Your article also fails to note that the executive branch (who is the one responsible for enforcing legislation anyway) has stood against this rendering it not only highly unlikely to pass, but on the rare account that it would pass, they more then likely would not follow these particular provisions. All in all, step away from the sensationalist journalism, but feel free to contact your local representatives about this.
Some further reading for you guys:
Text of the objectionable bit of legislation
Executive branch's opinions on the bill as a whole
Hamdi v Rumsfeld Opinion
Edit: Why am I being downvoted? Nothing I have said is inaccurate and I have cited everything.

slit

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...cking-truth-about-crackdown-occupy?CMP=twt_gu

Naomi Wolf makes a case for a link between politicians cracking down on this movement because it's main goals are to end the flow of money to politicians.

I guess we will know that Sarah Palin is really fighting corruption when homeland security tells an obese policeman to pepper spray her.

This is a really chilling read. And it bears posting in the thread.

The shocking truth about the crackdown on Occupy
The violent police assaults across the US are no coincidence. Occupy has touched the third rail of our political class's venality

Naomi Wolf
guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 November 2011 12.25 EST

US citizens of all political persuasions are still reeling from images of unparallelled police brutality in a coordinated crackdown against peaceful OWS protesters in cities across the nation this past week. An elderly woman was pepper-sprayed in the face; the scene of unresisting, supine students at UC Davis being pepper-sprayed by phalanxes of riot police went viral online; images proliferated of young women – targeted seemingly for their gender – screaming, dragged by the hair by police in riot gear; and the pictures of a young man, stunned and bleeding profusely from the head, emerged in the record of the middle-of-the-night clearing of Zuccotti Park.

But just when Americans thought we had the picture – was this crazy police and mayoral overkill, on a municipal level, in many different cities? – the picture darkened. The National Union of Journalists and the Committee to Protect Journalists issued a Freedom of Information Act request to investigate possible federal involvement with law enforcement practices that appeared to target journalists. The New York Times reported that "New York cops have arrested, punched, whacked, shoved to the ground and tossed a barrier at reporters and photographers" covering protests. Reporters were asked by NYPD to raise their hands to prove they had credentials: when many dutifully did so, they were taken, upon threat of arrest, away from the story they were covering, and penned far from the site in which the news was unfolding. Other reporters wearing press passes were arrested and roughed up by cops, after being – falsely – informed by police that "It is illegal to take pictures on the sidewalk."

In New York, a state supreme court justice and a New York City council member were beaten up; in Berkeley, California, one of our greatest national poets, Robert Hass, was beaten with batons. The picture darkened still further when Wonkette and Washingtonsblog.com reported that the Mayor of Oakland acknowledged that the Department of Homeland Security had participated in an 18-city mayor conference call advising mayors on "how to suppress" Occupy protests.

To Europeans, the enormity of this breach may not be obvious at first. Our system of government prohibits the creation of a federalised police force, and forbids federal or militarised involvement in municipal peacekeeping.

I noticed that rightwing pundits and politicians on the TV shows on which I was appearing were all on-message against OWS. Journalist Chris Hayes reported on a leaked memo that revealed lobbyists vying for an $850,000 contract to smear Occupy. Message coordination of this kind is impossible without a full-court press at the top. This was clearly not simply a case of a freaked-out mayors', city-by-city municipal overreaction against mess in the parks and cranky campers. As the puzzle pieces fit together, they began to show coordination against OWS at the highest national levels.

Why this massive mobilisation against these not-yet-fully-articulated, unarmed, inchoate people? After all, protesters against the war in Iraq, Tea Party rallies and others have all proceeded without this coordinated crackdown. Is it really the camping? As I write, two hundred young people, with sleeping bags, suitcases and even folding chairs, are still camping out all night and day outside of NBC on public sidewalks – under the benevolent eye of an NYPD cop – awaiting Saturday Night Live tickets, so surely the camping is not the issue. I was still deeply puzzled as to why OWS, this hapless, hopeful band, would call out a violent federal response.

That is, until I found out what it was that OWS actually wanted.

The mainstream media was declaring continually "OWS has no message". Frustrated, I simply asked them. I began soliciting online "What is it you want?" answers from Occupy. In the first 15 minutes, I received 100 answers. These were truly eye-opening.

The No 1 agenda item: get the money out of politics.
Most often cited was legislation to blunt the effect of the Citizens United ruling, which lets boundless sums enter the campaign process. No 2: reform the banking system to prevent fraud and manipulation, with the most frequent item being to restore the Glass-Steagall Act – the Depression-era law, done away with by President Clinton, that separates investment banks from commercial banks. This law would correct the conditions for the recent crisis, as investment banks could not take risks for profit that create kale derivatives out of thin air, and wipe out the commercial and savings banks.

No 3 was the most clarifying: draft laws against the little-known loophole that currently allows members of Congress to pass legislation affecting Delaware-based corporations in which they themselves are investors.

When I saw this list – and especially the last agenda item – the scales fell from my eyes. Of course, these unarmed people would be having the shit kicked out of them.

For the terrible insight to take away from news that the Department of Homeland Security coordinated a violent crackdown is that the DHS does not freelance. The DHS cannot say, on its own initiative, "we are going after these scruffy hippies". Rather, DHS is answerable up a chain of command: first, to New York Representative Peter King, head of the House homeland security subcommittee, who naturally is influenced by his fellow congressmen and women's wishes and interests. And the DHS answers directly, above King, to the president (who was conveniently in Australia at the time).

In other words, for the DHS to be on a call with mayors, the logic of its chain of command and accountability implies that congressional overseers, with the blessing of the White House, told the DHS to authorise mayors to order their police forces – pumped up with millions of dollars of hardware and training from the DHS – to make war on peaceful citizens.

But wait: why on earth would Congress advise violent militarised reactions against its own peaceful constituents? The answer is straightforward: in recent years, members of Congress have started entering the system as members of the middle class (or upper middle class) – but they are leaving DC privy to vast personal wealth, as we see from the "scandal" of presidential contender Newt Gingrich's having been paid $1.8m for a few hours' "consulting" to special interests. The inflated fees to lawmakers who turn lobbyists are common knowledge, but the notion that congressmen and women are legislating their own companies' profitsis less widely known – and if the books were to be opened, they would surely reveal corruption on a Wall Street spectrum. Indeed, we do already know that congresspeople are massively profiting from trading on non-public information they have on companies about which they are legislating – a form of insider trading that sent Martha Stewart to jail.

Since Occupy is heavily surveilled and infiltrated, it is likely that the DHS and police informers are aware, before Occupy itself is, what its emerging agenda is going to look like. If legislating away lobbyists' privileges to earn boundless fees once they are close to the legislative process, reforming the banks so they can't suck money out of fake derivatives products, and, most critically, opening the books on a system that allowed members of Congress to profit personally – and immensely – from their own legislation, are two beats away from the grasp of an electorally organised Occupy movement … well, you will call out the troops on stopping that advance.

So, when you connect the dots, properly understood, what happened this week is the first battle in a civil war; a civil war in which, for now, only one side is choosing violence. It is a battle in which members of Congress, with the collusion of the American president, sent violent, organised suppression against the people they are supposed to represent. Occupy has touched the third rail: personal congressional profits streams. Even though they are, as yet, unaware of what the implications of their movement are, those threatened by the stirrings of their dreams of reform are not.

Sadly, Americans this week have come one step closer to being true brothers and sisters of the protesters in Tahrir Square. Like them, our own national leaders, who likely see their own personal wealth under threat from transparency and reform, are now making war upon us.

alstein

The occupy news hasn't been much over the weekend- I kinda hope something happens. The more brutality occurs, the more folks will support the movement.

sphagnum

Banned
My friend is heading down to Occupy LA to see if he can get pics. I guess I'll find out later whether he gets arrested or not!

The occupy news hasn't been much over the weekend

Kind of hard to compete with Thanksgiving. I do feel, though, that while the evictions initially had a positive impact by focusing on police force, they've thrown the movement off kilter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom