• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It's people trying to swarm a cop, not exactly exercising ones right to non-violent protest.

Called humor.

Hey, stop skipping posts that call out your bullshit so then you can keep bullshitting

It can be, depends on who strikes first. Which isn't conclusive in the videos as of yet, so how about giving it a rest for an hour or so and then once more videos surface we can continue this

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's people trying to swarm a cop, not exactly exercising ones right to non-violent protest.

Called humor and sarcasm.

I think you are losing perspective here.

Party is over for Occupy Wall Street - San Francisco

------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/OccupySF

Sixty Department of Public Work's Trucks just showed up. Come now. Call media!

We just received this notice from the City police. Please come to the camp immediately. We need everyone we can. Please call Mayor Ed Lee, Board of Supervisors, and the District Attorney's office immediately. There is no date on the letter, there is no author. The letter is not official. Call them and leave a message N...OW!

Mayor Ed Lee: (415) 554-6141
SF Board of Supervisors: (415) 554-5184
SF District Attorney: (415) 554-5184

JOIN US NOW! WE NEED YOU NOW!

Notice from the City and County of San Francisco (transcribed at camp)

Notice

The City and County of San Francisco and its police department celebrate and protect the right of an individual to engage in free speech and of the right to assemble. However, this encampment is a violation of the law. For those involved in the encampment at the Federal Reserve Bank, you are in violation of one or more of the following local ordinances or state laws:
· Open flames on a city street or sidewalk without a permit from the department of Public Works and the San Francisco Fire department (Section 105.6.32 Fire Code – open flame, LP Gas 3801.2 FC, Gas 105.6 and 105.7 FC)
· Disorderly conduct-lodging in any building, structure, vehicle, or place, whether public or private (647(e) Penal Code)
· Public nuisance 581 Health Code
· Preparing or serving food without a permit
· Permit required for temporary occupancy of the street and/or sidewalk
· Civil sidewalk violations (168 MPC)
Accordingly, you are being ordered to take down this structure. Refusal to comply and/or obstruction of our efforts to remove the structure may result in your arrest.
The City’s homeless outreach team will provide, for those whop wish, support for shelter. The Department of Public Works will store your property if you do not have the means to take it with you.

Volimar

XMonkey said:
Wow. Who would have thought that LA would be much more accommodating to the protestors than SF?

SF protestors got nothing on SF's city ordinances. That shit's like their bible.

Pctx

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
What a god damn joke.... and this coming from an Oregonian. Where was Fazio when the Tea Party rallied? Where was Fazio when people threw the bums out of Washington last November? Where was his outrage 2 years ago?

The occupy movement is worse than the Tea Party movement with no voice and no plan. At least with the Tea Party you know how crazy they are and what they stand for. This is just pent up teenage angst with signs and deadbeats with nothing better to do.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Pctx said:
What a god damn joke.... and this coming from an Oregonian. Where was Fazio when the Tea Party rallied? Where was Fazio when people threw the bums out of Washington last November? Where was his outrage 2 years ago?

The occupy movement is worse than the Tea Party movement with no voice and no plan. At least with the Tea Party you know how crazy they are and what they stand for. This is just pent up teenage angst with signs and deadbeats with nothing better to do.

Joke post, right?

I give it a 1.5/10.

Pctx said:

Last thing you want to do in a recession or depression is cut spending... it seems pretty obvious why Fazio would not be behind that movement.

Pctx

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Last thing you want to do in a recession or depression is cut spending... it seems pretty obvious why Fazio would not be behind that movement.
Point is he brings up Paulson (a slimy son of a bitch) who should be tried for treason; seemingly though, DeFazio's rant is just another timely politicians speech that gives little substance to the solution.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Pctx said:
Keep fuckin' that chicken.

Pctx said:
Point is he brings up Paulson (a slimy son of a bitch) who should be tried for treason; seemingly though, DeFazio's rant is just another timely politicians speech that gives little substance to the solution.

No that is not the point. You just said the occupy movement is worse than the tea party movement and Fazio is a hypocrite to not have supported the tea party movement, when clearly their movement does not fall in line with his ideas. Now you are saying the point is he brings up Paulson but doesn't offer a solution... isn't that self evident when he blatantly talks about the corruption and how zero accountability was unfair. He said the banks should have payed for their own bailout. Did you even watch the video?

I was thinking about what I said earlier and I realized it was wrong that I somehow felt like I did something horrible because I had a different opinion.

The problem wasn't that you had a different opinion, the problem was that you shit up the thread for everyone. There's a difference between disagreeing and antagonizing.

Clevinger

kame-sennin said:
The problem wasn't that you had a different opinion, the problem was that you shit up the thread for everyone. There's a difference between disagreeing and antagonizing.

I disagree. Manos has a different opinion, while Pctx, for example, is antagonizing. Even if Manos were to (politely) disagree with everything in the movement, he's not even a fraction as antagonistic as this:

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
In the interest of letting people discuss the issues at hand, whatever they may feel they are or however they feel about them, I withdraw from posting in this thread and any future thread on the subject.

In the interest of letting people discuss the issues at hand, whatever they may feel they are or however they feel about them, I withdraw from posting in this thread and any future thread on the subject.

Go away Manos. Like you said you would.

Slavik81

jamesinclair said:
You cannot be a democracy and having the following "laws" on the books
Every country in the world has laws that could be used to shut down protests. Even without those two specific things, there are a million different laws for disturbing the peace, noise violations and other infractions that could be used to pull people in.

The measure of democracy in a country cannot be determined by reading its laws. Laws are vague. It is how the laws are interpreted and enforced that matters.

This could be known as the first revolution of the computer generation. I am optimistic that this could serve more importantly as a bridge to credible information. The fact that the message isn't on point isn't because the protestors are ineffective at spreading information, the real reason is that the tool they are using to spread information isn't focused on local involvement. The quantity of protestors is less important as having a presence, because it does what protests should do... opens the dialogue. We might not feel like we are taking part in anything, but our words on the screen are just as powerful as those on a sign. The information is spreading virally and there is very little one can do to control that aside from destroy the hopes of the protestors. Will be interesting to see if the violence escalates the longer this continues.

Jenga

Banned
so from what i can tell from the local activists running around is this is some sort of vague activism against the "1 percent" mixed with some random ron paul pimping and anonymous flavored use of the guy fawkes mask

am i right gaf y/n

Jenga said:
so from what i can tell from the local activists running around is this is some sort of vague activism against the "1 percent" mixed with some random ron paul pimping and anonymous flavored use of the guy fawkes mask

am i right gaf y/n

SERIOUSLY

lol

Jenga

Banned
i saw a chubby chick on campus just sitting there with a hastily scribbled journal paper that said "WE ARE THE 99 PERCENT!" and kinda just stood there looking awkward

not too impressed!

Jenga said:
i saw a chubby chick on campus just sitting there with a hastily scribbled journal paper that said "WE ARE THE 99 PERCENT!" and kinda just stood there looking awkward

not too impressed!

yeah, chubby people aren't people.

Jenga

Banned
frankly this movement just feels like a big amorphous blob composed of every protest topic and backed by every fringe group/personas notable in the past decade coming together to dilute a simple message (fuck corrupt economic forces in this country) and meshing it together into one big vague bloop of political angst which either rallies or outright confuses people

a hipster movement if you will

EDIT: after skimming through the rest of this thread it seems this is where all the wikileaks folks went

man i missed you guys

Jenga said:
frankly this movement just feels like a big amorphous blob composed of every protest topic and backed by every fringe group/personas notable in the past decade coming together to dilute a simple message (fuck corrupt economic forces in this country) and meshing it together into one big vague bloop of political angst which either rallies or outright confuses people

a hipster movement if you will

you went from not knowing what this movement was all about, to concluding its a hipster movement in 30-40 minutes?

flol

jorma

is now taking requests
Karma Kramer said:
you went from not knowing what this movement was all about, to concluding its a hipster movement in 30-40 minutes?

flol

Jenga was trolling these sort of threads before the Hans of fate was even conceived.

Jenga

Banned
Karma Kramer said:

flol
i counted an average of 4 flannel shirts and 3 heavy rim glasses per pic

deal with it hipster

Jenga said:
i counted an average of 4 flannel shirts and 3 heavy rim glasses per pic

deal with it hipster

you think you are so much better than everyone else don't you?

chubby girls, hipsters, what losers!

I pity you

lol, don't mind Jenga, thread wouldn't be complete without him. you know he's not masturbating furiously to outrage like Manos or these other nerds would be...

or does he!?

Jenga

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
chubby girls, hipsters, RON PAUL SUPPORTERS
missed that out

arguably worse than chubby hipster girls

not to mention the latter shit on any credibility this movement strives for

ksan

Karma Kramer said:
Can you be more specific? I'm generally interested in a rebuttal to his rebuttal.
Should I disregard the fact that he spent most of the time acting like an incredibly immature twelve year old?

What is this elementary school Jenga?

Should I disregard the fact that he spent most of the time acting like an incredibly immature twelve year old?

What I mean is, do you have a rebuttal? Not character attacks... I don't care if you don't like the dude, I'm interested in having a discussion based on the substance of that video.

Jenga

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
What is this elementary school Jenga?
the lack of a concise message as well as the mingling with every random fringe group under the sun means the group pushes away as many people as it draws in

should wall st. be held accountable? absolutely
should we take a stand to free ourselves from the corruption? yes

but can we do it with everyone having a wildly different answer to the same question?

Jenga said:
the lack of a concise message as well as the mingling with every random fringe group under the sun means the group pushes away as many people as it draws in

but can we do it with everyone having a wildly different answer to the same question? yes

i think some of the zeigeist folks are throwing in their lot

yes we can Jenga, it's called democracy.

Jenga

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
yes we can Jenga, its called democracy.
oh i didn't know we were going to collectively vote on it, the facebook page didn't mention that

are we going to vote on it through facebook polling?

how soon can we get that done? will it be before or after we get anything done?

Jenga said:
oh i didn't know we were going to collectively vote on it, the facebook page didn't mention that

are we going to vote on it through facebook polling?

what exactly are you doing to tackle these two points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom