• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
my nick was from irc. I started going on irc in 2001 during the middle of the Enron scandal, and I thought "EnronAcct" (Enron Accountant) was sort of amusing at the time and I just sort of kept it.

Pollux

Karma Kramer said:
I am all for defense and keeping America safe. But today's military is doing a lot of harm to our national security I think. It's called blow back and it is what contributed to the 9/11 attacks. The CIA notes this... Our aggression in parts of the world, doesn't serve America's best interest, it serves the interest of the military to keep being financed.

Our behavior as of recently warrants even more ammunition for terrorist recruiting.

For the record I'm extremely pro US military, however I do think that the only places we need bases are IN the United States. The Navy can do all the patrolling it wants. That's fine. But the only boots on the ground should be here.

It would also save a CRAP load of money, which is exactly what we need right now. Not going to happen though.

Enron said:
my nick was from irc. I started going on irc in 2001 during the middle of the Enron scandal, and I thought "EnronAcct" (Enron Accountant) was sort of amusing at the time and I just sort of kept it.

haha cool, I didn't mean anything by it, was just curious

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I actually had no idea, hence why I asked.

Except I was a good investment.

To the banks you are a good investment, but to me and anyone else who lives within their means and doesn't have any debt you are the reason we are in this mess.

How many people graduated from your class? Let's say 40, and they all took $250,000 loans, that's 10 million dollars debt. In the eyes of the bank that (debt + interest) is an asset which they use as leverage to finance other ventures, usually buying the "toxic assets" of other banks. They all pass around different amounts of debt and purchase it based on the predicted price, then when someone tries to cash-in we all realise there is no money and we all go broke.

It's a scam, a friend of my ex-boss committed the same scam on a smaller scale and went to prison for fraud.

Deku

Banned
zmoney said:
For the record I'm extremely pro US military, however I do think that the only places we need bases are IN the United States. The Navy can do all the patrolling it wants. That's fine. But the only boots on the ground should be here.

It would also save a CRAP load of money, which is exactly what we need right now. Not going to happen though.

You must be extremely naive to think this way. Also Japan pays the US to stay there and operate bases there.

Pollux

Deku said:
You must be extremely naive to think this way. Also Japan pays the US to stay there and operate bases there.

Not naive, just isolationist. In an ideal world we wouldn't need to be in those places. But we're not in an ideal world. Thus it wouldn't work. So...yea.

saw on the news today that there was about a thousand people at zucotti..but the footage looked like only a few hundred or less was present

the dudes that are camped right in the middle..looks cozy :O

Deku

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Do you think government spending should be cut at all?

I think we should abolish all regulations and let the market do its thing.

Also, tax rates should be 0. Services paid for with fees only.

Bloodbeard said:
Oh God....
I think he's being sarcastic.

effingvic said:
saw on the news today that there was about a thousand people at zucotti..but the footage looked like only a few hundred or less was present

Reminds me of this.
stutte said:
Want to point out on here that this photo:

299103_10150470524419815_518234814_11176417_1435682484_n.jpg

is being spread around facebook and elsewhere. it is fake. and doesn't do anything to help the cause.

original google screen flipped:

wallstreetFAKE.jpg

not even near wall street:

http://g.co/maps/97n8d

magicstop

I think he's being sarcastic.

Reminds me of this.

In the interest of letting people discuss the issues at hand, whatever they may feel they are or however they feel about them, I withdraw from posting in this thread and any future thread on the subject.

So apparently the Occupy DC protests haven't really grown much bigger yet... haven't had a chance to check personally because I've been busy...
Also, the Occupy New Hampshire group is fucking disgusting. It's becoming dominated by libertarians, Free State Project People, and other people whose views don't really align with the national movement. I'm almost wishing I had some way to get the national movement to disown them...
One more thing: Be sure to write your senators and congresspeople about this to get them to make statements about it, if they haven't yet. They probably won't say anything about it unless enough people bug them about it. Right now a lot of them are still convinced it's a fringe issue.

stufte

effingvic said:
whoah seriously? ive been seeing that image all over facebook and reddit recently

DEBUNK IT! Everywhere you can. use my image as proof. It's not good for anyone to have fake bullshit like that confusing the issue.

Yep, it's apparently a fake.

Distortion of reality is done on both sides, it shouldn't be surprising, though yes it is unfortunate. Doesn't make the issues at hand any less significant though.

It does make them less trustworthy when they make claims though.

See stop spreading bullshit. You don't know where that picture originated from. You have no evidence to support what you just said. You are hypocritical all the time man. Its really quite hilarious.

theBishop

Banned
OccupyPhilly kicked off today:

Early gathering at noon

AdDvt.jpg

"This Revolution Will Not Be Privatized"

RFmVf.jpg

"Too Many Grievances..."

CQlrO.jpg

First General Assembly at Dusk

J0nj1.jpg

demon said:
who's "they"?
People supporting this movement claiming that it's accurate or accepting it as fact.

Karma Kramer said:
See stop spreading bullshit. You don't know where that picture originated from. You have no evidence to support what you just said. You are hypocritical all the time man. Its really quite hilarious.

Ah but I do.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31430245&postcount=1849
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31433530&postcount=1870

magicstop

People supporting this movement claiming that it's accurate or accepting it as fact.

Ah but I do.

In the interest of letting people discuss the issues at hand, whatever they may feel they are or however they feel about them, I withdraw from posting in this thread and any future thread on the subject.

magicstop said:
demon said:
who's "they"?

Karma Kramer said:

Ah but I do.

stufte

Karma Kramer said:

At this point it doesn't matter where it came from. The fact is this: it's out there. And it looks like it was made to support the protesters and rail against the media for not taking notice. It doesn't matter at this point who made it, people all over facebook and reddit who support the protesters are posting it to try and gain support. If it's a fake image meant to deceive, then it's not good for the supporters. People should stop using it. And if you see someone using it, point out that it's fake and back it up with proof. http://www.stutte.com/etc/wallstreetFAKE.jpg

magicstop

theBishop said:

Early gathering at noon

AdDvt.jpg

RFmVf.jpg

"Too Many Grievances..."

CQlrO.jpg

J0nj1.jpg

Great pics! Did you take these?

pompidu

theBishop said:

Early gathering at noon

AdDvt.jpg

RFmVf.jpg

"Too Many Grievances..."

CQlrO.jpg

J0nj1.jpg
Awesome, I hope Rochester gets there shit together. Trying to find time to get downtown and join up!

magicstop

theBishop said:

They look awesome! Be sure to take more as it progresses there. I wish I owned a proper camera and some skill like you appear to have. I'd love to take good pictures of the events happening around here.

stutte said:
At this point it doesn't matter where it came from. The fact is this: it's out there. And it looks like it was made to support the protesters and rail against the media for not taking notice. It doesn't matter at this point who made it, people all over facebook and reddit who support the protesters are posting it to try and gain support. If it's a fake image meant to deceive, then it's not good for the supporters. People should stop using it. And if you see someone using it, point out that it's fake and back it up with proof. http://www.stutte.com/etc/wallstreetFAKE.jpg
I think you did a hell of a good job you did and I think it's a shame Magicstop is trying to suppress.

wallstreetFAKE.jpg

It's pretty amazing that it's spread so far when you realize that whoever faked it left cars in. It looked more like something from a Zombie movie after the Earths been overrun.

Deku said:
Seriously, what is going on with the insane bumping and quoting of images.
Some people are trying to ignore the fact that a picture presented by many (including posters here) of a large protest in New York was in fact faked.

The movement is more important than the truth I guess.

magicstop

Some people are trying to ignore the fact that a picture presented by many (including posters here) of a large protest in New York was in fact faked.

The movement is more important than the truth I guess.

I don't actually care very much about the picture. I didn't have anything invested in it. By all means, "get the word out," but we certainly understood the first time it was posted here in this thread.

You on the other hand seem to need some reminding . . .

stutte said:

I agree, however this statement

It does make them less trustworthy when they make claims though.

is accusing the people who wrote the statements for OWS so far responsible for the fake image, when he has no evidence to support this... for all we know it could have been planted by the media as a way to diminish the size of the protest...

"omg look at this image of a cop stabbing this poor little girl at the protest! outrageous!"

"oh shit you are right this is ridiculous"

"oh wait a minute, this image is faked... LOL silly protestors trying to make cops look bad."

cooljeanius said:
Also, the Occupy New Hampshire group is fucking disgusting. It's becoming dominated by libertarians, Free State Project People, and other people whose views don't really align with the national movement. I'm almost wishing I had some way to get the national movement to disown them...

Oh? Are you the arbiter of describing all of the views of the national movement? Of deciding who gets to be a part of this?

As somebody who identifies with libertarians much of the time, and is strongly in favor of the Occupy protests, kindly fuck off with that attitude.

magicstop said:
I don't actually care very much about the picture. I didn't have anything invested in it. By all means, "get the word out," but we certainly understood the first time it was posted here in this thread.
Then why didn't you comment on it?

Karma Kramer said:
I agree, however this statement

is accusing the people who wrote the statements for OWS so far responsible for the fake image, when he has no evidence to support this... for all we know it could have been planted by the media as a way to diminish the size of the protest...
Come on, Occam's razor. Regardless the fact it was so willingly accepted by many without question is a legitimate matter of concern.

timetokill said:
Oh? Are you the arbiter of describing all of the views of the national movement? Of deciding who gets to be a part of this?

As somebody who identifies with libertarians much of the time, and is strongly in favor of the Occupy protests, kindly fuck off with that attitude.
I'm just going by the positions listed in the OP. A lot of people in Occupy New Hampshire called the positions in the OP "class warfare" and "anti-business" and other Republican talking points, which would be okay if these people were on the other side, but these are people trying to redefine the face of the movement to be the exact opposite of what it currently is.

magicstop said:
Nice, I will add that to the OP tomorrow. I bet that will be a fun one, too :) Are you in Vancouver? Pics, if so.
Also, I wonder if these movements will start happening more in Canada or on another continent?

Don't forget to add Stutte's work. You wouldn't want supporters looking stupid by reposting a fake image (like all those stupid Gundam ones after the Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami).

Come on, Occam's razor. Regardless the fact it was so willingly accepted by many without question is a legitimate matter of concern.

I am not saying I actually think that is the case. I highly doubt that tbh. My point is that you don't know who made the image. The fact people fell for it, is a bit ridiculous, but I don't think its done out of a malicious act to deceive others. More like they are overjoyed to see so many people supporting the cause and don't bother to double check the source. Pretty much every political party, every news network, every single person does this. They focus on evidence that supports their cause and unfortunately with photoshop and the internet people can be more easily fooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom