• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

timetokill said:
As somebody who identifies with libertarians much of the time, and is strongly in favor of the Occupy protests, kindly fuck off with that attitude.

What? Libertarianism would mean even less regulation (ie, none) for Wall Street to be free to fuck over ordinary Americans. That seems the polar opposite of what people are protesting about.

magicstop

cooljeanius said:
I'm just going by the positions listed in the OP. A lot of people in Occupy New Hampshire called the positions in the OP "class warfare" and "anti-business" and other Republican talking points, which would be okay if these people were on the other side, but these are people trying to redefine the face of the movement to be the exact opposite of what it currently is.

It's a complex issue, to be sure. There is a lot of discussion of how to have a movement that embraces everyone getting screwed, knowing that they are politically diverse. Thus far, the lack of official documents and demands has been very intentional, as part of OWS is beginning the discussion - including all perspectives - of acknowledging something is wrong and something needs to be done. The next part is discussing what, and inevitably, everyone won't walk away 100% happy, but hopefully we are left with something that addresses the issues in a satisfactory means that will result in some dramatic change and addressal of the issues.

Karma Kramer said:
I am not saying I actually think that is the case. I highly doubt that tbh. My point is that you don't know who made the image. The fact people fell for it, is a bit ridiculous, but I don't think its done out of a malicious act to deceive others. More like they are overjoyed to see so many people supporting the cause and don't bother to double check the source. Pretty much every political party, every news network, every single person does this. They focus on evidence that supports their cause and unfortunately with photoshop and the internet people can be more easily fooled.

And when we do we should point it out, and often have a good laugh (like the News Maps Screwups we've often seen), but also as a warning for people to be more cautious. Using incorrect or out and out faked information really creates a credibility problem, even if the side only distributed it.

magicstop

As a side note, I'm really happy to see that one of the big headlines on the Occupy Vancouver page is "WILL YOU BE ADDRESSING THE FACT WE ARE OCCUPYING INDIGENOUS LAND?" This is a very important concern, and it is beginning the take it's deserved place of importance in several movements.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
In the interest of letting people discuss the issues at hand, whatever they may feel they are or however they feel about them, I withdraw from posting in this thread and any future thread on the subject.

Get to it.

And when we do we should point it out, and often have a good laugh (like the News Maps Screwups we've often seen), but also as a warning for people to be more cautious. Using incorrect or out and out faked information really creates a credibility problem, even if the side only distributed it.

Thats not how you phrased it before. You blamed the image on the leadership of the OWS movement. The image has been called out and will continue to be called out, I would hope. It honestly seems clearly fake.

Basically I think you have to get your priorities in order if you let one photoshop that could have been made by anyone call into question the credibility of an entire movement.

stufte

Karma Kramer said:
Thats not how you phrased it before. You blamed the image on the leadership of the OWS movement. The image has been called out and will continue to be called out, I would hope. It honestly seems clearly fake.

Basically I think you have to get your priorities in order if you let one photoshop that could have been made by anyone call into question the credibility of an entire movement.

But that's the problem, see? ONE image like this COULD call into question the credibility of an entire movement. That's how propaganda works. As long as we keep on pointing out fakes and lies like this, the real truth of the matter can show through.

stutte said:
But that's the problem, see? ONE image like this COULD call into question the credibility of an entire movement. That's how propaganda works. As long as we keep on pointing out fakes and lies like this, the real truth of the matter can show through.

I agree with what your saying, I just think you are missing the nature of Manos.

Clevinger said:
What? Libertarianism would mean even less regulation (ie, none) for Wall Street to be free to fuck over ordinary Americans. That seems the polar opposite of what people are protesting about.
Exactly what I've been saying. Don't see why people can't see this...

SolKane

ACTUAL UPDATE TO THIS THREAD:

Police: 1,200 people at Occupy Austin, no arrests made

On the steps of the City Hall plaza, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said that the Occupy Austin event has reached 1,200 people. The demonstration has remained peaceful, and no arrests have been made.

Many stepped up to air grievances about the income gap in America, the influence of corporate money in politics, the lack of jobs, and a wide variety of other issues.

“I’m mad as hell about corporate control of our lives,” said David Van Os, a lawyer and perennial political candidate. “The people have had enough. The people are rising.”

The crowds included people of all ages and backgrounds. Some wore suits and ties, and others wore the Guy Fawkes masks popularized by the comic book and film “V for Vendetta.”

“The richest two percent in America have stolen from all of us,” said Austin dance instructor Daniel Llanes.

Others had grievances with specific companies. Bill Edwards, an 80-year-old retired military veteran, carried a sign denouncing Bank of America, which he called “a parasitic organization.” He said he was also angry with the influence of large banks and corporations in politics.

“I believe 99 percent of us are being stolen from by the one percent,” Edwards said. “If you have the people ground down, you could have a revolution.”

slideshow_1002272966_RBZ10372.JPG

slideshow_1002272946_RBZ10304.JPG

slideshow_1002272931_RBZ10315.JPG

magicstop

I H8 Memes said:
Thought this video would fit here more than the BoA thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtI85Zc6Oik

Bad stuff is simmering in this country right now. I'm just glad winter is coming soon. Hopefully that will help to settle this down some.

That's not good . . . I can't see that going over well. Bad timing for BoA, especially w/ their new monthly free for debit card usage. I've been considering pulling my money from my own bank (not BoA) and going with a credit union.

magicstop

SolKane said:

Great post, lol! That's probably what Asheville's Occupy movement looks like. Pretty counter-cultural place to begin with (like Austin) - almost preaching to the choir kind of thing. I love the cop in that last pic :D

Alucrid

Banned
Megalodactyl said:
"hey this picture is fake" *ignores thousands of people protesting massive inequalities in our country*

Now that's something I'm curious about. In a country of 300 million people, how many are protesting?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I knew it was inevitable that overtime, the people who want social justice, which are in reality the silent majority, would start making their voices heard again.

Eventually it will be loud enough for politicians to answer back.

SolKane

magicstop said:
Great post, lol! That's probably what Asheville's Occupy movement looks like. Pretty counter-cultural place to begin with (like Austin) - almost preaching to the choir kind of thing. I love the cop in that last pic :D

I'm going to keep following this. I wasn't able to attend today (had to work) but I might be able to tomorrow. They're planning to march to the Bank of America building tomorrow, which is on Congress south a few blocks of the capitol building. It should be very exciting.

Alucrid said:
Now that's something I'm curious about. In a country of 300 million people, how many are protesting?
Not many.

The size of the Philadelphia one is insanely smaller than even one of the standard Mumia protests.

On the bright side I doubt they screwed up my Dad's commute home today which is a plus.

SolKane

Alucrid said:

Doesn't matter how many, the question you should be asking is are enough people protesting.

Not many.

The size of the Philadelphia one is insanely smaller than even one of the standard Mumia protests.

On the bright side I doubt they screwed up my Dad's commute home today which is a plus.

Lol, not many... great ballpark figure there. You are full of so much factual specific content I bask in the glory of your knowledge.

Karma Kramer said:
Lol, not many... great ballpark figure there. You are full of so much factual specific content I bask in the glory of your knowledge.
Out of 300 million, which was the number mentioned (though the actual estimate is 307 Source: U.S. Census Bureau
307,006,550 - Jul 2009), not many is pretty accurate. Hell it would take more than 3 million to even be 1% of the population.

Alucrid

Banned
SolKane said:
Doesn't matter how many, the question you should be asking is are enough people protesting.

Or perhaps what is the number of people needed to be considered 'enough'?

Not many.

True. More people took to the streets when the Phillies won the world series.

Pre

Clevinger said:

Obviously, squeezing businesses to death through taxes and regulation is the true answer to job creation.

Pre said:
Obviously, squeezing businesses to death through taxes and regulation is the true answer to job creation.
Regardless of job creation, big businesses on Wall Street should be squeezed to death anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh lord yeah. Man I was so pissed I was living in NJ at the time. I just wanted to go right out and start celebrating. Still was a lot of fun to watch.

Shouldn't you be pissed for living in NJ all the time?

Alucrid said:
Shouldn't you be pissed for living in NJ all the time?
I was, I used to live in Newark when going to law school, the world series win (I was born right after the last Philly championship of any type), temporarily nullified all that for a short while. lol

EDIT: That said the Gamestop in Newark had a great and hilarious stay and the guy at the Videogame/jewelry/phone/pawn shop that always broke street date was awesome too.

Being across from the Pru Center also meant it was easy to get $10 hockey tickets.

SolKane said:
ACTUAL UPDATE TO THIS THREAD:

Police: 1,200 people at Occupy Austin, no arrests made

slideshow_1002272966_RBZ10372.JPG

slideshow_1002272946_RBZ10304.JPG

slideshow_1002272931_RBZ10315.JPG

Really impressed by how many people have come out. I was worried that the Occupation of Wall Street would be a one-week fizzle. But seeing the endurance of that occupation, and the spinning out into city after city, has made me feel optimistic about this country's future for the first time in a long time.

magicstop

kame-sennin said:
Really impressed by how many people have come out. I was worried that the Occupation of Wall Street would be a one-week fizzle. But seeing the endurance of that occupation, and the spinning out into city after city, has made me feel optimistic about this country's future for the first time in a long time.

Check this out:
http://www.meetup.com/occupytogether/

That just made me smile :D Oh, and FWIW, the listed number of occupiers is obviously wrong. It only shows a number based on the # of people who have used meetup.com to confirm attendance. For instance, it shows Durham with 2 people attending . . . we had around 200 last weekend for our first meeting :D

Pollux

magicstop said:
As a side note, I'm really happy to see that one of the big headlines on the Occupy Vancouver page is "WILL YOU BE ADDRESSING THE FACT WE ARE OCCUPYING INDIGENOUS LAND?" This is a very important concern, and it is beginning the take it's deserved place of importance in several movements.

Can someone explain this one to me and why it is a very important concern?

SolKane

magicstop said:
Thought these pics on https://occupywallst.org were pretty great and worth sharing. I wish I could be in NY to participate in OWS itself, but I'm proud to be involved with my local movements as well.

http://i.imgur.com/tOcus.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xWpfK.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1Hug8.jpg

Great pics, I especially like that last one. Here's an informative and well produced video from the main site that takes a look at how the occupiers are living:

http://vimeo.com/30081785

Goldmund

MIMIC said:
This movements needs to appoint a (rational) leader.
It not having a leader (a structure analogous and therefore subject to the hierarchy it is criticizing) is pretty much the only thing that's distinguishing and interesting about this and comparable movements.

magicstop

SolKane said:
Great pics, I especially like that last one. Here's an informative and well produced video from the main site that takes a look at how the occupiers are living:

http://vimeo.com/30081785

Great video, well put together. I like the last 2 sections, giving a contrasting view of Occupy's Wall St and Wall St's Wall St, so to speak :D

SolKane

magicstop said:
Great video, well put together. I like the last 2 sections, giving a contrasting view of Occupy's Wall St and Wall St's Wall St, so to speak :D

Exactly, it's amazing to think of the OWS project as a group of citizens who are creating their own "Wall Street," if you will.

Evlar

Banned
Paul Krugman's Friday column is a fairly warm appraisal of Occupy Wall Street, and an excoriating rebuke of some of its critics (and the media's generally deplorable reporting of it). He even makes a few suggestions for the movement's stands and demands. Give it a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom