• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
empty vessel said:
Regulations are entity-neutral. They govern conduct at a general level. However, because corporations are public institutions that have existence due to the public's grant of a charter, the public does indeed have the prerogative to end a corporation's existence with the stroke of a pen by revoking its charter and it may do so for any reason whatsoever. This was traditionally one way in which corporations were regulated in the US. The granting of a corporate charter is a grant of power, and with that grant of power is an attendant responsibility to oversee that power's exercise.

I still don't know what you mean when you say one cannot regulate corporate behavior.

Seriously, there is something wrong with you. What you described is unobservable in the video posted, so there must be something that caused you to invent that. Is it just a general impulse to authoritarianism?

No, im 100% serious. Watch the video from about 7 seconds in and hammer down on the pause/play button. Like I said, I don't know what went on before the video started..i don't know if the guy jumped on the cop, pushed back at the cop pushing him out of the way, or if the cop was already going after him unprovoked (not likely judging by the crowd's reaction) but if you watch it closely you will see exactly what I described, including what appears to be a defensive fighting stance taken by the protester as he's knocking the cops arm away from him.

Enron said:
No, im 100% serious. Watch the video from about 7 seconds in and hammer down on the pause/play button. Like I said, I don't know what went on before the video started..i don't know if the guy jumped on the cop, pushed back at the cop pushing him out of the way, or if the cop was already going after him unprovoked (not likely judging by the crowd's reaction) but if you watch it closely you will see exactly what I described, including what appears to be a defensive fighting stance taken by the protester as he's knocking the cops arm away from him.

He was being attacked already by the cop. There is video from a different angle that shows the assault clearly. I just think its weird that you would interpret that scene that way even in this video, which, while more obscured than the other video, still does not lend itself to that kind of an interpretation.

empty vessel said:
He was being attacked already by the cop. There is video from a different angle that shows the assault clearly. I just think its weird that you would interpret that scene that way even in this video, which, while more obscured than the other video, still does not lend itself to that kind of an interpretation.

There could be a video of cops beating up old ladies OWS protestors and enron would find some justification.

Enron

Banned
empty vessel said:

Seriously, you cannot see how I came to this interpretation from this video? Here's what I'm talking about.

33ngw0l.jpg

xbby95.jpg

332atyq.jpg

I'm not saying that the protester attacked the cop initially or whatever...I don't know what happened before this, but its pretty clear that at the end here the guy 1. fought back 2. took up a defensive stance. Doing so after putting your hands on a police officer is going to result in you getting subdued.

What I initially observed is pretty clear from these three frames.

remnant

Banned
AndyD said:
I dont think he meant it literally. As in "bank of america shall have blue carpet in all rooms" but more general in the sense of corporate rights and behavior can be limited and curtailed through regulation.

"You can't dump waste into rivers" is certainly a way to regulate what companies do with waste and thus their behavior.

And I am also interested in your claim of light European regulation. If anything it the opposite.
Why would a company dump waste into a river? To save on expenses. If you ban it they will try to find the next cheapest thing. You haven't changed their behavior, you just told them they couldn't do something.

Even then Bromega did say anything about the enviroment. It was pretty clear he meant regulating in terms of competitive edge.

Regulations are entity-neutral. They govern conduct at a general level. However, because corporations are public institutions that have existence due to the public's grant of a charter, the public does indeed have the prerogative to end a corporation's existence with the stroke of a pen by revoking its charter and it may do so for any reason whatsoever. This was traditionally one way in which corporations were regulated in the US. The granting of a corporate charter is a grant of power, and with that grant of power is an attendant responsibility to oversee that power's exercise.
Corporations are not public entities. They haven't been since the early 1800's. The government does not have the right to eliminate private property with no cause.

But even if that was accepted as truth, the corporation would just become a limited partnership, and you would find yourself in the same situation anyway. Attempting to regulate corporate behaviors just complicates the matter.

empty vessel said:
Enron said:
I don't know what went on before that video started, but right before the cop punches the protester the protester has got their hands all up on the cop and knocks the cop's left arm away. Want to guarantee you get hit and subdued by a cop? Put your hands on him.
Seriously, there is something wrong with you. What you described is unobservable in the video posted, so there must be something that caused you to invent that. Is it just a general impulse to authoritarianism?
Right at 0:09 in the video, the guy in the green shirt comes in to view out from behind the riot geared police. His right hand (granted, that's not "hands") is raised and he swiftly moves it down and to his left. It appears that the white shirted police officer might have moved the green shirted guy's hand for him (look at his left hand following green shirt's right hand.) We're missing the context, but even with the hand raised, cold cocking the guy is doing little to protect and serve.

Green shirt did have a hand raised. White shirt did overreact. You don't have to deny what's plainly in the video.

Enron said:
Seriously, you cannot see how I came to this interpretation from this video? Here's what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying that the protester attacked the cop initially or whatever...I don't know what happened before this, but its pretty clear that at the end here the guy 1. fought back 2. took up a defensive stance. Doing so after putting your hands on a police officer is going to result in you getting subdued.

The stills don't change what conclusions a reasonable person would draw from watching the actual video. Obviously, the video is not entirely clear in terms of what may have provoked the assault (although these videos from different angles do show that it was: nothing), but what you claim to see in the video is still bizarre and I think says more about you than the video.

bjb

Banned
ReBurn said:
I hope this doesn't turn into a hate the police thread.

It already is. Just read the last few pages.

Meanwhile a Marine has a mental breakdown and lashes out at cops for no apparent reason, and then is labeled as a "hero".

smh

Ilive1up

pretty sure he said that he saw cops beating up some protestors or something like that.

anyway, yeah, this shouldn't turn into protestors vs cops. though, it already is...so...yeah.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
bjb said:
It already is. Just read the last few pages.

Meanwhile a Marine has a mental breakdown and lashes out at cops for no apparent reason, and then is labeled as a "hero".

smh

mental breakdown? gez. i take it you've never met a pissed off marine. a pissed off marine war vet at that.

he was going easy on them imo.

and no apparent reason? did you even listen to what he was bothered by?

empty vessel said:
The stills don't change what conclusions a reasonable person would draw from watching the actual video. Obviously, the video is not entirely clear in terms of what may have provoked the assault (although these videos from different angles do show that it was: nothing), but what you claim to see in the video is still bizarre and I think says more about you than the video.
Thanks for that video, it's apparent from that angle that the only reason green shirt's hand was raised is from the white shirt spinning him around. (Granting that there may have been something between them before the start of the video that could provide more context.) Definite overreaction from the white shirt, and I hope this incident and others like it lead people to call on their representatives to reign in the police force.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Enron said:

http://i52.tinypic.com/33ngw0l.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/xbby95.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/332atyq.jpg[IMG]

What I initially observed is pretty clear from these three frames.[/QUOTE]
You're right about the defensive stance, but when someone is hitting at you do you instinctually put your hands behind your back or up to defend your face? That arm movement is a pretty standard move with people who aren't trained in martial arts. He's batting away a strike. That, along with how his center of gravity is behind him and he's trying to get away from the cop, I can't see how you can interpret something like that if you're not looking for it. Hell, you can even see the guy getting pushed back between the two motorcycle cops.

That's a pretty crowded area. Really, it can be difficult NOT to touch people in those sorts of areas. I can understand if it came from some sort of misunderstanding, like getting pushed around, and I can understand the cops being on edge. It seemed like the white shirt got caught up in the moment and snapped back out of it when he actually seemed to have hurt him. I don't think there's any actual significant malice or contempt on either side, because there have been and will be instances of BOTH protesters and cops misbehaving, but you seem to already have an opinion in mind. Be careful with that...

Edit: just saw the NYT video. I don't care what happened before that, walking up and punching the guy is not cool.

Vaporak

remnant said:
Why would a company dump waste into a river? To save on expenses. If you ban it they will try to find the next cheapest thing. You haven't changed their behavior, you just told them they couldn't do something.

Let me get this straight. If a corporation is dumping industrial waste in a river, then a law gets passed making it illegal, and from then on the corporation no longer dumps their waste in a river, their behavior hasn't changed? If you answer "yes" to this question you are using a very different definition of behavior than...everybody. I imagine the word you're looking for would be more something along the lines of "motive".

This is interesting...

Bank Transfer Day

FOR MORE INFO: http://facebook.com/nov.fi​fth

Together we can ensure that these banking institutions will ALWAYS remember the 5th of November!! If the 99% removes our funds from the major banking institutions to non-profit credit unions on or by this date, we will send a clear message to the 1% that conscious consumers won't support companies with unethical business practices.

• Research your local credit union options
• Open an account with the one that best suits your needs
• Cancel all automatic withdrawals & deposits
• Transfer your funds to the new account
• Follow your bank's procedures to close your account before 11/05

FIND A CREDIT UNION
USA: http://www.findacreditunio​n.com/
CANADA: http://locator.cucentral.c​om/
UK: http://www.findyourcreditu​nion.co.uk/

Facebook event:
45,117 People Attending
260,245 Awaiting Reply

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Enron said:

What I initially observed is pretty clear from these three frames.

The second frame doesn't suggest him about to attack the officer. His elbow is far behind his back, his forearm is pressed against his chest and his palm is facing the officer.

Anyways I looked through the video frame by frame,

Notice at:

BlrXR.jpg

4 seconds, you see the man in the green shirt standing to the side looking down at his phone.

After that he leaves the frame

Z8m4I.jpg

dZZto.png

at 8 seconds in, you see him running away from the cop behind him. He disappears behind the cop in the foreground's helmet.

ZkLmt.jpg

He appears on the other side of the police officer's helmet at almost 10 seconds in.

Do you suggest that within those 4 seconds, he turned around, and started provoking a police officer, then started to run away? Or is it more likely that in those 4 seconds he was pushed by the officer?

Okay now onto 10 seconds in:

IDUiy.png

WIyKl.jpg

You say that he swatted the officer's hand away, but the officer's hand is clearly above the protestor's arm. If you were to argue this, I would point out that if he were swatting the officer's arm, he would be doing it just below his wrist which doesn't make any sense.

Alucrid

Banned
Naked Snake said:
This is interesting...

Facebook event:
45,117 People Attending
260,245 Awaiting Reply

Interesting yes. What's more interesting is come Nov 6 how many people actually got off their asses and did something.

Also, maybe you guys doing frame by frame data should try enhancing it, zoom in on the window in the back, and see what was going on behind the helmet to get the real info.

M3Freak

Banned
Alucrid said:
Interesting yes. What's more interesting is come Nov 6 how many people actually got off their asses and did something.

And thus, since the middle class doesn't collectively do anything to voice their disagreement, their lot in life continues to be stolen from them and their future generations, right before their eyes.

THE MACHINE WILL NOT EASILY BE REBOOTED.

empty vessel said:

The first video in the link seals the deal. This was clearly excessive force. Who walks up behind someone, spins them around, and then punches them in the face? How is that law enforcement? As for Enron, I'm not trying to be mean, but he clearly has some issues he needs to deal with.

Bad_Boy said:
mental breakdown? gez. i take it you've never met a pissed off marine. a pissed off marine war vet at that.

he was going easy on them imo.

and no apparent reason? did you even listen to what he was bothered by?

We destroy their communities, prevent them from getting a good education, send them and their entire families off to die in foreign country for no reason, and when they come back, we wonder why they're mad.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
kame-sennin said:
We destroy their communities, prevent them from getting a good education, send them and their entire families off to die in foreign country for no reason, and when they come back, we wonder why they're mad.
no one forced him to enlist - stop with this hyperbole please
And stop pretending that you are there.. These cops know that all eyes are on them..you don't know what the hell happened before the camera started rolling

akira28

You guys still talking about green shirt? Watch the video from the other angles. The one I saw, the officer was walking quickly behind him, told him to move out of the way, and green shirt looks around, says something, and then the officer goes at him. End of story.

Schattenjagger said:

What does this have to do with anything? He enlisted because be believed in defending his country. Then he found out he was actually defending an economic plan. Caveat Emptor? His fault for believing what he was told? I got into a 2 hour long argument with my best friend about OWS and the financial crisis at large. His final stance as a Conservative is that people who didn't do the research deserve whatever happened. This is the attitude that justifies when they lie to our faces, politicians, businessmen, anyone.

IF they had forced him to enlist(like Viet Nam), we'd all be down there with torches. This is about betrayal of ideals and beliefs. He feels his trust was abused when he volunteered to put his life on the line. And if you really want to talk about being forced, talk about what he'll be forced to do after America has been leveled with the developing world.

Myansie

remnant said:
No you can't. Regulators can tell companies what they can and cannot do but having the government badge "regulator" does not mean you can perfectly plan an economy.

Regulation is not about planning the economy, it is about creating a system where no minority gains so much power as to be able to skew the market to their own whim. Your current system is allowing the banks to do exactly this, they can create their own market bubbles.

A free market needs to be a level playing field with the Government as referee. Currently the ref is best mates with the financial team.

Matt Taibbi on Democrat/Republican co-option of OWS:

This whole episode to me underscores an unpleasant development for OWS. There is going to be a fusillade of attempts from many different corners to force these demonstrations into the liberal-conservative blue-red narrative.

This will be an effort to transform OWS from a populist and wholly non-partisan protest against bailouts, theft, insider trading, self-dealing, regulatory capture and the market-perverting effect of the Too-Big-To-Fail banks into something a little more familiar and less threatening, i.e. a captive "liberal" uprising that the right will use to whip up support and the Democrats will try to turn into electoral energy for 2012.

Tactically, what we'll see here will be a) people firmly on the traditional Democratic side claiming to speak for OWS, and b) people on the right-Republican side attempting to portray OWS as a puppet of well-known liberals and other Democratic interests.

On the Democratic side, we've already seen a lot of this behavior, particularly in the last week or so. Glenn Greenwald wrote about this a lot last week, talking about how Obama has already made it clear that he is "on the same side as the Wall Street protesters" and that the Democratic Party, through the DCCC (its House fundraising arm), has jumped into the fray by circulating a petition seeking 100,000 party supporters to affirm that “I stand with the Occupy Wall Street protests.”(I wonder how firmly the DCCC was standing with OWS sentiment back when it was pushing for the bailouts and the repeal of Glass-Steagall Act).

We've similarly heard about MoveOn.org jumping into the demonstrations and attempting, seemingly, to assume leadership roles in the movement.

All of this is the flip side of the coin that has people like Breitbart trying to frame OWS as a socialist uprising and a liberal media conspiracy. The aim here is to redraw the protests along familiar battle lines.

The Rush Limbaughs of the world are very comfortable with a narrative that has Noam Chomsky, MoveOn and Barack Obama on one side, and the Tea Party and Republican leaders on the other. The rest of the traditional media won't mind that narrative either, if it can get enough "facts" to back it up. They know how to do that story and most of our political media is based upon that Crossfire paradigm of left-vs-right commentary shows and NFL Today-style team-vs-team campaign reporting.

What nobody is comfortable with is a movement in which virtually the entire spectrum of middle class and poor Americans is on the same page, railing against incestuous political and financial corruption on Wall Street and in Washington. The reality is that Occupy Wall Street and the millions of middle Americans who make up the Tea Party are natural allies and should be on the same page about most of the key issues, and that's a story our media won't want to or know how to handle.

Take, for instance, the matter of the Too-Big-To-Fail banks, which people like me and Barry Ritholz have focused on as something that could be a key issue for OWS. These gigantic institutions have put millions of ordinary people out of their homes thanks to a massive fraud scheme for which they were not punished, owing to their enormous influence with government and their capture of the regulators.

This is an issue for the traditional "left" because it's a classic instance of overweening corporate power -- but it's an issue for the traditional "right" because these same institutions are also the biggest welfare bums of all time, de facto wards of the state who sucked trillions of dollars of public treasure from the pockets of patriotic taxpayers from coast to coast.

Both traditional constituencies want these companies off the public teat and back swimming on their own in the cruel seas of the free market, where they will inevitably be drowned in their corruption and greed, if they don't reform immediately. This is a major implicit complaint of the OWS protests and it should absolutely strike a nerve with Tea Partiers, many of whom were talking about some of the same things when they burst onto the scene a few years ago.

The banks know this. They know they have no "natural" constituency among voters, which is why they spend such fantastic amounts of energy courting the mainstream press and such huge sums lobbying politicians on both sides of the aisle.

The only way the Goldmans and Citis and Bank of Americas can survive is if they can suck up popular political support indirectly, either by latching onto such vague right-populist concepts as "limited government" and "free-market capitalism" (ironic, because none of them would survive ten minutes without the federal government's bailouts and other protections) or, alternatively, by presenting themselves as society's bulwark against communism, lefty extremism, Noam Chomsky, etc.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying one thing: beware of provocateurs on both sides of the aisle. This movement is going to attract many Breitbarts, of both the left and right variety. They're going to try to identify fake leaders, draw phony battle lines, and then herd everybody back into the same left-right cage matches of old. Whenever that happens, we just have to remember not to fall for the trap. When someone says this or that person speaks for OWS, don't believe it. This thing is bigger than one or two or a few people, and it isn't part of the same old story.

Full blog entry:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-street-is-bigger-than-left-vs-right-20111017

sangreal

I'm not sure how the police action is even relevant to the discussion unless you believe the conspiracy theory that these union cops are out there punching hippies at the behest of some corporate overlord. It's a tense environment with people deliberately breaking the law and antagonizing the police. Some cops overreacted and they should be disciplined, but why exactly are we analyzing the video frame by frame? Is it news that some cops are abusive?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
sangreal said:
I'm not sure how the police action is even relevant to the discussion unless you believe the conspiracy theory that these union cops are out there punching hippies at the behest of some corporate overlord. It's a tense environment with people deliberately breaking the law and antagonizing the police. Some cops overreacted and they should be disciplined, but why exactly are we analyzing the video frame by frame? Is it news that some cops are abusive?
this is a occupy wallstreet thread. cops had altercations with occupy wallstreet protestors. of course its relevant. why sweep events of the occupy movement under the rug?

ToxicAdam

sangreal said:

Culture of victimhood. You can't stop it.

ToxicAdam said:
Culture of victimhood. You can't stop it.

Who's acting the victim? The police, or are they allowed to punch people in the face nowadays? I must have missed the memo was it sent out around the same time as the Rodney King incident.

Like the marine says there's no honor in attacking unarmed people.

ToxicAdam

travisbickle said:
Who's acting the victim? The police, or are they allowed to punch people in the face nowadays? I must have missed the memo was it sent out around the same time as the Rodney King incident.

Like the marine says there's no honor in attacking unarmed people.

3ZcYC.gif

ToxicAdam said:

I'm assuming this is a "neither are victims" gif. I adore football but the actions of players, managers or staff do not relate to the real world, they live in a fantasy world where acts of assault are dealt with by a fine and a match ban from the FA. In the real world you do not attack someone for "antagonising" you.

Enron

Banned
Divvy said:
The second frame doesn't suggest him about to attack the officer. His elbow is far behind his back, his forearm is pressed against his chest and his palm is facing the officer.

Anyways I looked through the video frame by frame,

Notice at:

http://i.imgur.com/BlrXR.jpg

4 seconds, you see the man in the green shirt standing to the side looking down at his phone.

After that he leaves the frame

http://i.imgur.com/Z8m4I.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dZZto.png
at 8 seconds in, you see him running away from the cop behind him. He disappears behind the cop in the foreground's helmet.

http://i.imgur.com/ZkLmt.jpg
He appears on the other side of the police officer's helmet at almost 10 seconds in.

Do you suggest that within those 4 seconds, he turned around, and started provoking a police officer, then started to run away? Or is it more likely that in those 4 seconds he was pushed by the officer?

Okay now onto 10 seconds in:

http://i.imgur.com/IDUiy.png
http://i.imgur.com/WIyKl.jpg

You say that he swatted the officer's hand away, but the officer's hand is clearly above the protestor's arm. If you were to argue this, I would point out that if he were swatting the officer's arm, he would be doing it just below his wrist which doesn't make any sense.

I looked through that video frame by frame as well. Its clear that the cop and the protester were engaged in something before the punch. I said before I don't know what led up to it. While it is hard to tell exactly what is going on, what is clear is that the protester's right arm went up first and started across and downward on its own before getting to the point where the cops arm is, where the protester either swats him away or is grabbed (as you say) by the cop. With the protesters arm up first and coming down on its own that's why I think he was swatting away at the cop. If the cop was just grabbing him I don't think the arm has a chance to cock and start coming down.

Here's the protester with his arm up first

5l5351.jpg

And here's his arm completely down and across on the follow through, while the cops arm is still in the general vicinity and pulled back a bit getting ready to reach forward.

2aez4ue.jpg

That's why I think that its a swat by the protester, and at the very least was initiated by the protester when he started his arm down and towards the cop.

You can argue whether or not the cop's reaction was warranted, but you raise your hands like that at a policeman that is confronting you, you shouldn't expect just a stern look.

travisbickle said:
I'm assuming this is a "neither are victims" gif. I adore football but the actions of players, managers or staff do not relate to the real world, they live in a fantasy world where acts of assault are dealt with by a fine and a match ban from the FA. In the real world you do not attack someone for "antagonising" you.

He is saying the cop really didn't hit him and the man wasn't really injured, neither of which is true.

Enron said:
You can argue whether or not the cop's reaction was warranted, but you raise your hands like that at a policeman that is confronting you, you shouldn't expect just a stern look.

Jesus Christ, man, other video has been posted. What's your malfunction?

Enron

Banned
Meanwhile, in Atlanta...the mayor caves in to Occupy Atlanta and lets them sit in the park for another 3 weeks. Residents and local businesses are NOT happy.

Kasim Reed is doing his best to be a 1-term mayor.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/breaking-occupy-atlanta-protestors-1203853.html

Edit: for those of you who are unaware, City of Atlanta officials are anything BUT southern conservatives despite being in the south before anyone tries that angle.

Breaking: Occupy Atlanta protestors get three more weeks in park

By Jeremiah McWilliams
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

6:31 p.m. Monday, October 17, 2011
Occupy Atlanta protestors will get another reprieve from vacating Woodruff Park, this one lasting three weeks, according to an executive order issued Monday by Mayor Kasim Reed.

Reed extended the executive order allowing Occupy Atlanta protestors to remain in Woodruff Park after the park closes at 11 p.m. each night. The order is effective through the adjournment of the next Atlanta City Council meeting on Nov. 7.

"As of today, the Occupy Atlanta protesters continue to assemble in a peaceful, non-violent fashion in Robert W. Woodruff Park," Reed said in a statement. "I remain committed to ensuring public safety and enforcing the laws of the city. The Atlanta Police Department and other city officials continue to monitor the park and the protesters."

Reed said his order does not prevent the city from responding at will to changing conditions in the park, or to public safety issues. He said the city is prepared to act swiftly if the situation in the park warranted quick action.

Neighboring businesses and residents have complained about the protesters, and Reed said he was aware of that. But he noted that the protesters cooperated with the city’s request to clean the park on Saturday. City crews pressure-washed the park's hard surfaces and removed litter and debris.

Reed said his administration would work with Occupy Atlanta members to minimize noise levels after 9 p.m.

"We've gotten numerous complaints as to what they're doing," said Ivory Lee Young Jr., who chairs the City Council's public safety committee. "If you're going to occupy, occupy with purpose. What they're doing appears to be nothing more than a camp-out."

Young said if Occupy Atlanta would articulate a clearer message about how it plans to help 99 percent of Americans, city leaders would not automatically oppose the protests. But as of now, the protesters are "wasting the public's time," he said.

Get the news faster! Follow the AJC's coverage of Atlanta on Twitter.

Enron

Banned
empty vessel said:
He is saying the cop really didn't hit him and the man wasn't really injured, neither of which is true.

Jesus Christ, man, other video has been posted. What's your malfunction?

I could ask the same of you. The other videos show the man ignoring the policeman's orders to get out of the street and then shows him getting turned around and punched. When his hands go up is obscured on one video, not shown on the other video, but is clearly shown in the video I took the frames from. So the one that actually shows the protester's actions in between the time he walks away from the cop and the time the cop throws a punch you discount because there are other videos that don't show it? Malfunction what?

Bad_Boy said:
I guess ignoring the other video, and the better angle it shows is cool.

This angle actually was the best angle. You see the protester, you see the cop in the instant before the punch is thrown. The other two videos of this incident that have been linked here obscure the protester (video 1) and don't even show what happens after the cop gets his attention and the guy turns around and turns away (video 2). How those are "better angles" are beyond me.

Enron said:
I could ask the same of you. The other videos show the man ignoring the policeman's orders to get out of the street and then shows him getting turned around and punched. When his hands go up is obscured one one video, not shown on the other video, but is clearly shown in the video I took the frames from. So the one that actually shows the protester's actions in between the time he walks away from the cop and the time the cop throws a punch you discount because there are other videos that don't show it? Malfunction what?

I think you may be psychotic.

Schattenjagger said:
And stop pretending that you are there.. These cops know that all eyes are on them..you don't know what the hell happened before the camera started rolling

This reads like you had this reply typed up before you even saw my post. I see nothing here that has anything to do with what I said. If you think I was using hyperbole, quote the specific statement.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Enron said:
I looked through that video frame by frame as well. Its clear that the cop and the protester were engaged in something before the punch. I said before I don't know what led up to it. While it is hard to tell exactly what is going on, what is clear is that the protester's right arm went up first and started across and downward on its own before getting to the point where the cops arm is, where the protester either swats him away or is grabbed (as you say) by the cop. With the protesters arm up first and coming down on its own that's why I think he was swatting away at the cop. If the cop was just grabbing him I don't think the arm has a chance to cock and start coming down.

Here's the protester with his arm up first

5l5351.jpg

And here's his arm completely down and across on the follow through, while the cops arm is still in the general vicinity and pulled back a bit getting ready to reach forward.

2aez4ue.jpg

That's why I think that its a swat by the protester, and at the very least was initiated by the protester when he started his arm down and towards the cop.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that. When you look at how both arms move, you can clearly tell that the police officer's right hand stops in midair, while the protestor's arm continues downward. This would not happen if the protestor was pushing the police officer's arm down, but it makes sense if the police officer is the one doing the swatting.

Enron

Banned
Divvy said:
I am going to have to disagree with you on that. When you look at how both arms move, you can clearly tell that the police officer's right hand stops in midair, while the protestor's arm continues downward. This would not happen if the protestor was pushing the police officer's arm down, but it makes sense if the police officer is the one doing the swatting.

Do me a favor and swat at something after cocking your arm up. It's entirely possible that you will continue on and follow through, and not just stop your momentum entirely once you make contact with something. The cop's arm stops because 1) the protester seems to be flinging rather wildly there and didn't get enough contact and 2) the officer is pulling his left arm away during all this, and then reaches out with it to grab the guy right before he lands the blow with his right.

Even if it were the cop grabbing his arm and forcing it down, its clear the protester first raised his arm at the cop after getting turned around.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Enron said:
Meanwhile, in Atlanta...the mayor caves in to Occupy Atlanta and lets them sit in the park for another 3 weeks. Residents and local businesses are NOT happy.

Kasim Reed is doing his best to be a 1-term mayor.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/breaking-occupy-atlanta-protestors-1203853.html

Edit: for those of you who are unaware, City of Atlanta officials are anything BUT southern conservatives despite being in the south before anyone tries that angle.
Not this shit again. BUT WHAT DO THEY WAAAAANT?!
As we've seen in this very thread, you don't have to be a conservative with an axe to grind to be willfully dense.

Enron said:
Do me a favor and swat at something after cocking your arm up. It's entirely possible that you will continue on and follow through, and not just stop your momentum entirely once you make contact with something. The cop's arm stops because 1) the protester seems to be flinging rather wildly there and didn't get enough contact and 2) the officer is pulling his left arm away during all this, and then reaches out with it to grab the guy right before he lands the blow with his right.

Even if it were the cop grabbing his arm and forcing it down, its clear the protester first raised his arm at the cop after getting turned around.

Seriously, the authoritarianism on display--in the form of a complete disregard for external reality in favor of authority--is fascinating. I want to strap you down on a table and study you.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Enron said:
This angle actually was the best angle. You see the protester, you see the cop in the instant before the punch is thrown. The other two videos of this incident that have been linked here obscure the protester (video 1) and don't even show what happens after the cop gets his attention and the guy turns around and turns away (video 2). How those are "better angles" are beyond me.
Seriously? In the other video you clearly see the guy walking away from the cop, turned around by the cop and ban hammered to the face.

Clear as day. Now whatever happened to trigger the cop, who knows? But I don't think that use of force was standard police practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom