• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoenixDark said:
So who will OWS be voting for? I think it's fair to say a majority of them will wind up voting for Obama, if they vote at all.

I don't think it matters who individuals involved in OWS vote for. The point of OWS is not to form a voting block or to elect specific individuals but to continue demanding that representatives--whoever they are--address the issues. That's not to say that there won't be electoral consequences from OWS, but those should (and if the movement is successful will) come organically. Electoral politics is not and should not be OWS's concern. OWS's concern should be making substantive demands. (And by "demands" I do not mean propose detailed legislation, I mean convey popular demands in clear and simple terms, a la "end corporate rule.")

Dude Abides said:
So you're mad that the lack of tasings in Zuccotti park has left you bereft of masturbation fodder?
See I said you were still bitter about the Walmart thread. For those wondering the Walmart thread featured a justified use of a tazer, and extremely belligerent and stupid suspects. Everyone pretty much agreed on that, but Dude Abides couldn't stand that and tried (unsuccessfully) to troll the thread suggesting the poor should be sterilized, unless he wasn't trolling and actually believes that.

empty vessel said:
I don't think it matters who individuals involved in OWS vote for. The point of OWS is not to form a voting block or to elect specific individuals but to continue demanding that representatives--whoever they are--address the issues. That's not to say that there won't be electoral consequences from OWS, but those should (and if the movement is successful will) come organically. Electoral politics is not and should not be OWS's concern. OWS's concern should be making substantive demands. (And by "demands" I do not mean propose detailed legislation, I mean convey popular demands in clear and simple terms, a la "end corporate rule.")

So basically they're not going to achieve anything because, if there are no consequences for ignoring the squatters, why would anyone use or listen to them except to get free votes.

In the end if Obama wants to throw his lot in with these squatters. I'll just vote Republican, barring some truly horrific nominee. I'll also actively work and encourage others to do the same.

That's not bitterness that's expressing disagreement with a decision and taking concrete steps to communicate that message through normal political channels.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
See I said you were still bitter about the Walmart thread. For those wondering the Walmart thread featured a justified use of a tazer, and extremely belligerent and stupid suspects. Everyone pretty much agree on that, but Dude Abides couldn't stand that and tried (unsuccessfully) to troll the thread suggesting the poor should be sterilized, unless he wasn't trolling and actually believes that.

So is all this you've been doing payback trolling or what?

Jak140

Jenga said:
what about end the fed

That is a side issue of a subset of the protesters. The unifying demand is not even a demand so much as it is a statement that government should represent the interests of the many over those of the monied.

Door2Dawn said:
I couldn't honestly care less if you're getting money from wall street. The president took large amounts of money form WS, but believes that it's the middle class that should be helped directly.

I think it matters more what you do with that money rather where you're getting it from.

Obama failed to prosecute Wall Street or enact significant reforms after the bailouts. Corporate money is clearly influencing him in a way that harms the middle class.

Dude Abides

Banned
See I said you were still bitter about the Walmart thread. For those wondering the Walmart thread featured a justified use of a tazer, and extremely belligerent and stupid suspects. Everyone pretty much agree on that, but Dude Abides couldn't stand that and tried (unsuccessfully) to troll the thread suggesting the poor should be sterilized, unless he wasn't trolling and actually believes that.

I don't think anyone here really cares about your taser fetish, tbh.

If there aren't enough videos of police beatings for you to get off, surely some Muslim somewhere has been killed by the US military. Try looking for pics of that.

Dude Abides said:

If there aren't enough videos of police beatings for you to get off, surely some Muslim somewhere has been killed by the US military. Try looking for pics of that.

See this is the bitterness I'm talking about. I mean accusing someone of being a racist who isn't, see that's the sign of a very bitter person.

We need to work through your problems here.

Jenga said:
it's already been co-opted by libertarians, marxists, zeigeist, etc

getting co-opted by democrats sounds like a drop in a barrel
Getting co-opted by the Democrats would be so much better than any of those other options you listed.

akira28

DOO13ER said:
So is all this you've been doing payback trolling or what?
He has taken time to bring up the hard time that LiberalGAF gave the Tea Partiers, so yeah, pretty sure this is something to do with that. He isn't even the hero they deserve, though. But I guess we're going to catch hell because we made fun of TPS.

Jenga

Banned
Jak140 said:
That is a side issue of a subset of the protesters. The unifying demand is not even a demand so much as it is a statement that government should represent the interests of the many over those of the monied.
uh huh

well don't start crying when the politicians all agree with the movement but then do nothing, or do very ineffectual reform just to sate people

Jak140

Jenga said:
uh huh

well don't start crying when the politicians all agree with the movement but then do nothing, or do very ineffectual reform just to sate people

If no effective reforms are made and the condition of the country continues to deteriorate, I would hope and expect that the protests will grow rather than dissipate until effective positive changes are made.

akira28 said:
He has taken time to bring up the hard time that LiberalGAF gave the Tea Partiers, so yeah, pretty sure this is something to do with that. He isn't even the hero they deserve, though. But I guess we're going to catch hell because we made fun of TPS.

We'll it depends what type of Third Person Shooters you're talking about.

Kidding aside the irony is barring anything in the future I'm a registered Democrat who pretty much has voted the same as most ofl the people complaining.

That's why everyone has to say I'm a Tea Partier or something of the sort, the other (and actual) explanation bothers them too much.

noah111

Still Alive
OK i'm not sure how related one is to the other but what is this 'Green Party' stuff i've been hearing about? Is it new, old, or have anything to do with the Occupy movement? Some stuff i've seen seems legit.

akira28

We'll it depends what type of Third Person Shooters you're talking about.

Kidding aside the irony is barring anything in the future I'm a registered Democrat who pretty much has voted the same as most ofl the people complaining.

That's why everyone has to say I'm a Tea Partier or something of the sort, the other (and actual) explanation bothers them too much.

Registered Independent, former Bush supporter here, HW, not the retard. And I vote with my wallet and my fists.

Whats so ironic about you being a registered Dem? So was Lieberman.

Sentry said:
OK i'm not sure how related one is to the other but what is this 'Green Party' stuff i've been hearing about? Is it new, old, or have anything to do with the Occupy movement? Some stuff i've seen seems legit.

Green Party in the traditional European sense or in the US sense (which has never been successful)?

Dude Abides

Banned
See this is the bitterness I'm talking about. I mean accusing someone of being a racist who isn't, see that's the sign of a very bitter person.

We need to work through your problems here.

What on earth are you talking about? Your weird fetish for violence has nothing to do with race, and I never suggested otherwise. Is this the kind of logic they teach at third-tier law schools?

akira28 said:
Registered Independent, former Bush supporter here, HW, not the retard.

Whats so ironic about you being a registered Dem? So was Lieberman.

Not the registration (Heck, I think Paul Woflwitz keeps his as Dem in honor of Henry Jackson), but the voting pattern.

DJ88

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I just saw this when driving on the interstate in Miami.

above-bankers-rope-mural-miami-51.jpg

above-bankers-rope-mural-miami-1.jpg

above-bankers-rope-mural-miami-6.jpg

above-bankers-rope-mural-miami-2.jpg

above-bankers-rope-mural-miami-7.jpg

http://www.ihiphop.com/?p=108315

noah111

Still Alive
Green Party in the traditional European sense or in the US sense (which has never been successful)?
So I assume they've been around for a while then.. that's unfortunate, from what i've heard it seems like the utopian/perfect political party. So sick of the Repub/Dems, it's all the same bullshit to me now.

Dude Abides said:
What on earth are you talking about? Your weird fetish for violence has nothing to do with race, and I never suggested otherwise. Is this the kind of logic they teach at third-tier law schools?

Dude Abides said:

What does being Muslim have to do with it?

The little touch of elitism is cute too. Actually I went to same law school as lawblob.

Sentry said:
So I assume they've been around for a while then.. that's unfortunate, from what i've heard it seems like the utopian/perfect political party. So sick of the Repub/Dems, it's all the same bullshit to me now.
Yep, they're the reason George W. Bush got to be President in a sense.

Dude Abides

Banned
What does being Muslim have to do with it?

Race? Nothing. That's what made your whine so bizarre.

The little touch of elitism is cute too. Actually I went to same law school as lawblob.

So bitter and humorless. After the top 15 or so I stop caring.

2-Terms of Kombat
Jenga said:
uh huh

I understand what you're saying but it's been said a million different ways before and it all still boils down to this strange, stubborn sort of apathy. Not supporting a generally good cause (and I'm sorry but I do consider curbing the cozy relationship between government and business a good cause) because in the end you don't think it'll achieve anything of significance makes absolutely no sense to me, even more so if you instead choose to sit behind a monitor and talk shit about others who aren't as jaded as you.
That last part wasn't directed at you, just a general observation

If you think our government needs to change then there's really no reason not to support something like this, even if it is just in solidarity. If you think the movement needs more specific goals, throw some out there. If all you're going to do is mock protestors for what they wear, pick the silliest and/or most fringe of a crowd and hold everyone out there acountable for them, or just generally be a dick and stroke yourself to the thought of police batons and expired permits, then at least just admit you have an axe to grind and move on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is going to be the next Million Man March or anything. It could very well fizzle out by the end of the year. I'm just not gonna hope for that. It'd be a lost opportunity.

Dude Abides said:
Race? Nothing. That's what made your whine so bizarre.
Then why did you include Muslim in the description? You seem to be implying that it means something more than just someone killed by the US military. You obviously assigned value to it or otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

So bitter and humorless. After the top 15 or so I stop caring.
So elitist and very bitter.

DOO13ER said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is going to be the next Million Man March or anything. It could very well fizzle out by the end of the year. I'm just not gonna hope for that. It'd be a lost opportunity.

What did the Million Man March accomplish? Besides sadly giving Loius Farrakan the appearance of legitimacy and respectability.

Jenga said:
my goal post of the movement has never changed, the movement still needs to find its message and drop off the co-opting libertarians and other 3rd parties trying to leech off it

as long as the movement's demands remain vague so will the promises made by politicians remain vague

Personally, I'm hoping the demands remain vague because these people have no clue how to fix the economy. Any policy prescriptions they give will inevitably be terrible.

They're still needed because someone's got to convince policymakers who actually know what they're doing how terrible the economy's gotten for those without a college degree and the young. There's been a big lack of urgency from policymakers after '08 and '09 to getting back to full employment, especially by the federal reserve, which ahs seemed content to stay pat on its goal of preventing inflation rather than fulfilling its dual mandate. Convince them there's actually a problem and we're likely to see some decent results.

Dude Abides

Banned
Then why did you include Muslim in the description? You seem to be implying that it means something more than just someone killed by the US military. You obviously assigned value to it or otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

Who else have we been killing in the last 10 years?

So elitist and very bitter.

I am certainly not going to yield to the soft bigotry of low expectations just to spare the tender feelings of mediocrities who think Thomas Cooley is as good as Yale. Don't let the bitterness consume you.

So basically they're not going to achieve anything because, if there are no consequences for ignoring the squatters, why would anyone use or listen to them except to get free votes.

If that's how politics worked, I would agree, but it isn't.

In the end if Obama wants to throw his lot in with these squatters. I'll just vote Republican, barring some truly horrific nominee. I'll also actively work and encourage others to do the same.

That's not bitterness that's expressing disagreement with a decision and taking concrete steps to communicate that message through normal political channels.

That would be a sign of the political effectiveness of OWS, in my opinion.

bjb

Banned
empty vessel said:
That would be a sign of the political effectiveness of OWS, in my opinion.

Yep, alining with and voting against their own self interest.

"Occupy" success achieved?

DOO13ER said:
I understand what you're saying but it's been said a million different ways before and it all still boils down to this strange, stubborn sort of apathy. Not supporting a generally good cause (and I'm sorry but I do consider curbing the cozy relationship between government and business a good cause) because in the end you don't think it'll achieve anything of significance makes absolutely no sense to me, even more so if you instead choose to sit behind a monitor and talk shit about others who aren't as jaded as you.
That last part wasn't directed at you, just a general observation

If you think our government needs to change then there's really no reason not to support something like this, even if it is just in solidarity. If you think the movement needs more specific goals, throw some out there. If all you're going to do is mock protestors for what they wear, pick the silliest and/or most fringe of a crowd and hold everyone out there acountable for them, or just generally be a dick and stroke yourself to the thought of police batons and expired permits, then at least just admit you have an axe to grind and move on.

Great post. If people think OWS could be better, make a suggestion. There is contact information in the OP. You can email the information center or head down there yourself.

bjb said:

He was talking about Obama acquiescing to OWS demands.

Enron

Banned
Dude Abides said:

Jesus Christ, that's awful. Was that sort of thing really necessary?

bjb said:

Manos is deeply conservative. If he leaves the Democratic party for the Republican party, it means the Democratic party is moving left. That is success.

DOO13ER said:
I mean besides the march itself (and the number there).

Dude Abides said:
Who else have we been killing in the last 10 years?
We've been trying to get a Ugandan warlord for a while and we've been "helping out" countries fighting Narco's in South America. You shouldn't have such a myopic view of the world.

I am certainly not going to yield to the soft bigotry of low expectations just to spare the tender feelings of mediocrities who think Thomas Cooley is as good as Yale. Don't let the bitterness consume you.
Who said I went to Thomas Cooley? That said if you think just because you went to Yale somehow the classes are better and you somehow innately knows more than a student of similar skill and academic success at say another law school, than you really didn't learn much.

None the less, if you're still caring about your law school's ranking after you graduate and have a job, than I feel bad for you son.

Pctx

Banned
Dude Abides said:

grandpasimpsonhatoffandon.gif

I'm outta here.

empty vessel said:
Manos is actually not deeply conservative. If he leaves the Democratic party for the Republican party, it means the Democratic party is moving to the extreme left. That will untimely not be a success.

Fixed that for you.

Remember Reagan Democrats. Going to far the left or right (look at Goldwater) is ultimately a self-destructive policy.

Jak140

Yep, they're the reason George W. Bush got to be President in a sense.

There's some truth in that, but is there also not some truth in saying that the countervailing notion is why we have two deeply entrenched parties, neither of which seems to be the least bit interested in investigating and prosecuting the progentors and defrauding beneficieries of the financial crisis? It's damned if you don't, even more damned if you do. If only the public at large had some way of expressing their rightfully immense dissatisfaction...

Jak140 said:
There's some truth in that, but is there also not some truth in saying that the countervailing notion is why we have two deeply entrenched parties, neither of which seems to be the least bit interested in investigating and prosecuting the progentors and defrauding benificieries of the financial crisis? It's damned if you don't, even more damned if you do. If only the public at large had some way of expressing their rightfully immense dissatisfaction...

I understand, I meant more in the sense of getting Nader widespread ballot access and (admittedly small) Green Party voters.

Fixed that for you.

Remember Reagan Democrats. Going to far the left or right (look at Goldwater) is ultimately a self-destructive policy.

The Democratic party is a center right party. For the Democrats, "moving left" would mean moving towards the center. Of course, ideally, the party does indeed move farther into the left where it used to be before the 1970s.

2-Terms of Kombat
Fixed that for you.

I'm gonna try not to put this in a dickish way but seeing the current Democratic party and "extreme left" in the same sentence is ridiculous.

Dude Abides

Banned
We've been trying to get a Ugandan warlord for a while and we've been "helping out" countries fighting Narco's in South America. You shouldn't have such a myopic view of the world.

And still not enough flag-waving and authoritarian violence to satisfy you. Perhaps your thirst for that kind of thing is insatiable.

Who said I went to Thomas Cooley? That said if you think just because you went to Yale somehow the classes are better and you somehow innately knows more than a student of similar skill and academic success at say another law school, than you really didn't learn much.

None the less, if you're still caring about your law school's ranking after you graduate and have a job, than I feel bad for you son.

Apparently you aced the practicum in tone-deafness and extreme literalism.

DOO13ER said:
I'm gonna try not to put this in a dickish way but seeing the current Democratic party and "extreme left" in the same sentence is ridiculous.

It creates the appearance of it because of the fact that the OWS people are by and large far left. When you incorporate a large number of one group as the new banner or front piece of your party (even if for only election purposes), people start to view the main party as close to that.

bjb

Banned
Dude Abides said:
If there aren't enough videos of police beatings for you to get off, surely some Muslim somewhere has been killed by the US military. Try looking for pics of that..

Utterly disturbing comment.

Between this guy and that other cop-hating clown (Empty Vessel), OWS crowd really starting to show their true colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom