• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhengi

SouthernDragon said:
They cut spending?

Maybe? But they did do the other two things.

Edit: I'd say they had more money to spend because they did the other two things. Otherwise, they'd still be pretty damn oppressed and backwards.

Marleyman said:
Financing institutions and big corporations are the main contributors, no?

I don't know the numbers concerning where the majority of campaign finance is being sourced from, but I sincerely doubt it's coming from average citizens and small businesses.

cooljeanius said:
There is an Occupy K Street in DC already though. It's in McPherson Square, and it could use some more people.

If I still lived in DC I'd be there with them. I'm planning on stopping by for a bit when I visit some friends on Halloween weekend.

Zhengi said:
Maybe? But they did do the other two things.
Edit: I'd say they had more money to spend because they did the other two things. Otherwise, they'd still be pretty damn oppressed and backwards.

They didn't cut spending, though.

akira28

It's funny how being a self made anything, or picking yourself up by your own bootstraps are both physically impossible things that tons of system assisted American citizens are claiming as the secret to their success.

I wonder how well they would fare in 1840's America, if they're so self-actualized.

akira28 said:
It's funny how being a self made anything, or picking yourself up by your own bootstraps are both physically impossible things that tons of system assisted American citizens are claiming as the secret to their success.

I wonder how well they would fare in 1840's America, if they're so self-actualized.

I like to invite these types to inhabit deserted islands and "self make" themselves there.

akira28

LegendofJoe said:
I agree that the protests should be centered more on Washington. The movement should be called Occupy K street, not Occupy Wall Street.

And just where does K street get a large portion of their lobbyist funding from? Possibly from CEOs and Wall Street execs? Strike at the root.

There are protests everywhere. DC included.

Enron said:
Someone's funding it for them?

Edit: IBEW guy in ad. Union perhaps?

A guy made it because he wanted to. It's just a random thing that a random person who supports OWS decided to do. And it didn't cost him anything because he works in the industry. The producers of the video are listed right on the youtube video page, and here is a link to the guy's website:

http://davidsauvage.com/

You guys are terribly paranoid.

alstein

Enron said:
Someone's funding it for them?

Edit: IBEW guy in ad. Union perhaps?

They've been getting a TON of money from private sources. Apparently the financial info is kept pretty well taken care of- as they've realized people will use it to attack them.

IBEW probably is International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

Enron

Banned
empty vessel said:
A guy made it because he wanted to. It's just a random thing that a random person who supports OWS decided to do. And it didn't cost him anything because he works in the industry. The producers of the video are listed right on the youtube video page, and here is a link to the guy's website:

http://davidsauvage.com/

You guys are terribly paranoid.

Oh, so its not being aired anywhere? Then it isn't really an ad, then. Shame on whoever said it was!

alstein

Enron said:
Oh, so its not being aired anywhere? Then it isn't really an ad, then. Shame on whoever said it was!

There are plenty of political ads which don't make TV. Some of the most discussed ones in 2008 never got televised.

Myansie

remnant said:
As evidenced by the fact that countries that cut spending, reformed regulations and strengthened their private sector saw quality of life decrease.

Oh wait the exact opposite happened.

Which country are you talking about exactly?

The two countries I can think of, Iceland and America, that have pursued a deregulated financial industry both have banks going bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%932011_Icelandic_financial_crisis

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone see the 'Peter Joseph message to Occupy' video? I'm on my phone and can't watch it but it;s been posted a few times on my Facebook stream, only mention of occupy actually lol.

Also, people comparing this with the tea party movement? Seriously?? :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
Sentry said:
Anyone see the 'Peter Joseph message to Occupy' video? I'm on my phone and can't watch it but it;s been posted a few times on my Facebook stream, only mention of occupy actually lol.

Also, people comparing this with the tea party movement? Seriously?? :lol

I watched it yesterday. Peter is as lucid and prophetic with his message as ever.

ronito

Door2Dawn said:
Yeah, got the idea. Not impressed. As noted it's like "And I want a pony."

Also the guy in the white hard hat? Not doing your movement any favors there.

Really they should have been like

"We are Occupy Wall Street and here is what we stand for:
<cut to one person>
Take the corporations out of government
<cut to another>
Institute fairer taxes so the government's debt problems isn't idled solely on the backs of the poor.
<cut to another>
More funding for education to build a better tomorrow
<cut to another>
Ensure that no citizen is just one illness away from bankruptcy.
<cut to another>
To put in safeguards to ensure that the banks that got us here can't do it again.
<cut to another>
We are Occupy wall street
<cut to another>
<cut to another>
<cut to another>
And we are the 99%.

splash screen "Learn more at wwww.iwantaponytoo.com"

That's silly, but it'd be more effective than what they did. They're going up against corporations they need to step it up.

Chichikov said:
The problem with that diagram is that it's not really true, especially when we talk about Wall Street.
Wall Street have been fighting tooth and nail for the government to have less power.

Wall Street is fine with government power when it protects them from competition or bails them out.

Myansie

Here's an interesting story on Sweden...

http://www.thelocal.se/14496/20080922/

They deregulated and the exact same thing happened. A housing bubble appeared and created a crisis between 1990 and 1994.

The government's solution was to essentially buy the banks, screw the shareholders and save the creditors. The complete opposite to the US's solution.

On Wiki it says Canada just deregulated their Natural Gas Industry, hardly the banking sector.

Hong Kong is understandable, they are essentially built on banking.

as for Switzerland, do I really need to remind you why their banks are famous?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
akira28 said:
And just where does K street get a large portion of their lobbyist funding from? Possibly from CEOs and Wall Street execs? Strike at the root.

There are protests everywhere. DC included.
Washington is accountable to us. Wall Street is not. They may be buying our laws but they're not passing them. I see the protesting of Wall Street as more symbolic than anything. It's time to take these protests to Washington.

More on collective embezzlement and fraud:

Email Warned That Bank Up For Bailout Was ‘Disastrous’
by Marian Wang and Paul Kiel
ProPublica

The U.S. Treasury Department had just announced preliminary approval of $299 million in taxpayer support for California’s United Commercial Bank when the email landed.

“Wow… you guys are either making a big statement with this one or your ‘gatekeeper’ is incompetent,” warned the anonymous missive, sent in October 2008 to the Treasury and obtained by ProPublica through a Freedom of Information Act request. “This is one of the worst loan portfolios in the country run by one of the worst CEOs (and a lying CEO at that).”

The warning went unheeded. Treasury pushed ahead and provided United Commercial Bank with funds under a part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program that was aimed at bolstering healthy banks.

But within months of getting bailout funds, things began to unravel. The bank disclosed publicly in May 2009 that it was restating its 2008 financial reports. It announced in July it would stop paying dividends on its stocks, including the shares bought by Treasury. In September, the bank’s audit committee wrapped up an internal investigation that found “deliberate and improper actions and omissions” by certain bank officials. And in November 2009, United Commercial Bank became the first bailout recipient to fail, wiping out Treasury’s investment of almost $300 million.

Another bank, Florida-based U.S. Century, went into a similar slide right after receiving TARP funds, as we recently reported. That bank is now on the verge of collapse, weighed down by poor-performing loans, some of them to insiders. (No executives at U.S. Century have been accused of wrongdoing.) While no emails warning the government against the Florida bank have surfaced, it was also approved for bailout funds — $50.2 million — despite red flags.

In the case of California’s United Commercial Bank, former executives now face civil and criminal charges. Federal officials also are moving to bar former CEO Thomas Wu and nine other former executives from the banking industry altogether, citing their “personal dishonesty” and “a pattern of misconduct.” Two former executives — though notably, not the CEO — are the first senior executives at a bailed-out bank to face criminal charges. They are accused of hiding the bank’s loan losses from investors, auditors and regulators. ...​

http://www.propublica.org/article/email-warned-that-bank-up-for-bailout-was-disastrous

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is HIGHLY RELEVANT

New Scientist has posted an article what many have believed, but we have never had empirical date before to prove; that a very small percentage essentially runs the world economy.

When the team further untangled the web of ownership, it found much of it tracked back to a "super-entity" of 147 even more tightly knit companies - all of their ownership was held by other members of the super-entity - that controlled 40 per cent of the total wealth in the network. "In effect, less than 1 per cent of the companies were able to control 40 per cent of the entire network," says Glattfelder. Most were financial institutions. The top 20 included Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co, and The Goldman Sachs Group.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html

remnant

Banned
Before i even go into this, why are you assuming all regulation is financial in nature?

cut spending, reformed regulations and strengthened their private sector
You can do all of those things and not touch finance at all. Anyway
Myansie said:
Here's an interesting story on Sweden...

http://www.thelocal.se/14496/20080922/

They deregulated and the exact same thing happened. A housing bubble appeared and created a crisis between 1990 and 1994.
Myansie said:
Uh no. Sweden did have a crash, but only after the Swiss government fucked with the currency and jacked up interest rates.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/20/news/20iht-swed_2.html

Sweden crash was an example of bad public policy. Their heavily leveraged economy (close to 50% debt to GDP) was prone to crash. The recession of the late 80's/early 90's just made a bad problem much worse.
On Wiki it says Canada just deregulated their Natural Gas Industry, hardly the banking sector.
"On wiki" really? Canada has one of the freest banking systems in the world. "The candaian five"

Toronto Dominion Bank
Royal Bank of Canada
Bank of Nova Scotia
Bank of Montreal
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce

are bigger banks, more globalized banks than any American counterpart, and banks in Canada have the freedom to acquire other banks, depositors, insurance and mortgage companies just like the Wild Wild West of the United States

Hong Kong is understandable, they are essentially built on banking.
Really. Not on trade or manufacturing but solely on banking. That's all Hong kong is? Okkkaaayyyy. again regulation is more than finance.

as for Switzerland, do I really need to remind you why their banks are famous?
Do you know why? Their banks are famous for being large and secret. They have one central regulatory figure(unlike the U.S) and Swiss banks are largely self-regulated.

Megalodactyl said:
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is HIGHLY RELEVANT

New Scientist has posted an article what many have believed, but we have never had empirical date before to prove; that a very small percentage essentially runs the world economy.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html

Interesting article/work. But I think it only tells part of the story (as the article itself concedes). While ownership is important, so is control. A lot of large corporations are controlled by their executives, with ownership control being minimal. It is necessary to look at those individual managers when looking at systemic imbalance, because what has happened is that those managers have basically pilfered those corporations for their own gain. Collective embezzlement--theft and corruption from the inside of these immensely economically powerful entities--is probably the biggest contributor to the financial collapse. That's why regulation of executive management is so important. That said, the concentration of ownership--which is what provides the immense economic power to these entities--paves the way for this kind of behavior by those working inside the entities.

Evlar

Banned
empty vessel said:
Interesting article/work. But I think it only tells part of the story (as the article itself concedes). While ownership is important, so is control. A lot of large corporations are controlled by their executives, with ownership control being minimal. It is necessary to look at those individual managers when looking at systemic imbalance, because what has happened is that those managers have basically pilfered those corporations for their own gain. Collective embezzlement--theft and corruption from the inside of these immensely economically powerful entities--is probably the biggest contributor to the financial collapse. That's why regulation of executive management is so important. That said, the concentration of ownership--which is what provides the immense economic power to these entities--paves the way for this kind of behavior by those working inside the entities.
This may be out of date now (haven't really perused it for a long time) but for an overview of who sits on corporate boards, http://www.theyrule.net/ is a fascinating tool. For instance, go to "Popular Maps > 4 Big Banks" to see the reach of BoA, Citi, Wells Fargo, and JPMC in terms of executive influence.

EDIT: Oooh, forgot the direct link feature: http://theyrule.net/map_170

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
remnant said:
"On wiki" really? Canada has one of the freest banking systems in the world. "The candaian five"

Toronto Dominion Bank
Royal Bank of Canada
Bank of Nova Scotia
Bank of Montreal
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce

are bigger banks, more globalized banks than any American counterpart, and banks in Canada have the freedom to acquire other banks, depositors, insurance and mortgage companies just like the Wild Wild West of the United States

This is not true at all. Canada has far stricter regulations than the united states. For one, Canada's investment bankers, unlike the US, are subject to the same rules as commercial banks.

Our government is also designed to keep track of the financial sector at multiple levels:

The Canadian Approach to Regulatory Systems
Canada might not be having much luck in its Olympic quest for domination, but it can teach the U.S. a thing or two in other matters… like its well-coordinated regulatory system that works together, despite being comprised of four separate branches:
- The central bank, the Bank of Canada, which maintains stability of the overall system
- The Superintendent of Financial Institutions, which oversees financial institutions in particular
- The Canadian government Finance Ministry, which sets the broad rules on ownership of financial institutions and the design of financial products
- The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, which acts as a consumer protection agency
- All four meet regularly to ensure that loopholes don’t exist for Canadian banking executives to sneak through… a concept that the U.S. could learn a thing or two about. And they actually seem to care about enforcing those rules instead of just talking about them, focusing on the spirit of the law instead of just the letter.

You are also forgetting that attempts to merge the big banks have been rejected by Canada's competition bureau and finance ministers. In 1998 they rejected both the merger between Royal Bank and BMO and the proposed merger between TD and CIBC.

Evlar said:
This may be out of date now (haven't really perused it for a long time) but for an overview of who sits on corporate boards, http://www.theyrule.net/ is a fascinating tool. For instance, go to "Popular Maps > 4 Big Banks" to see the reach of BoA, Citi, Wells Fargo, and JPMC in terms of executive influence.

EDIT: Oooh, forgot the direct link feature: http://theyrule.net/map_170

I remember looking at that a long time ago. It looks like it is still being maintained (at least as much as possible) if the "about" section is anything to go by. It's a cool project.

You guys have to read this opinion piece on the Occupy Wall Street movement. I found it on fox new.com of all places: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/10/14/understanding-occupy-wall-street/?intcmp=obinsite

Critics of the growing Occupy Wall Street movement complain that the protesters don’t have a policy agenda and, therefore, don’t stand for anything. They're wrong. The key isn’t what protesters are for but rather what they’re against -- the gaping inequality that has poisoned our economy, our politics and our nation.

In America today, 400 people have more wealth than the bottom 150 million combined. That’s not because 150 million Americans are pathetically lazy or even unlucky. In fact, Americans have been working harder than ever -- productivity has risen in the last several decades. Big business profits and CEO bonuses have also gone up. Worker salaries, however, have declined.

Most of the Occupy Wall Street protesters aren’t opposed to free market capitalism. In fact, what they want is an end to the crony capitalist system now in place, that makes it easier for the rich and powerful to get even more rich and powerful while making it increasingly hard for the rest of us to get by. The protesters are not anti-American radicals. They are the defenders of the American Dream, the decision from the birth of our nation that success should be determined by hard work not royal bloodlines.

Sure, bank executives may work a lot harder than you and me or a mother of three doing checkout at a grocery store. Maybe the bankers work ten times harder. Maybe even a hundred times harder. But they’re compensated a thousand times more.
The question is not how Occupy Wall Street protesters can find that gross discrepancy immoral. The question is why every one of us isn’t protesting with them.

According to polls, most Americans support the 99% movement, even if they’re not taking to the streets. In fact, support for the Occupy Wall Street protests is not only higher than for either political party in Washington but greater than support for the Tea Party. And unlike the Tea Party which was fueled by national conservative donors and institutions, the Occupy Wall Street Movement is spreading organically from Idaho to Indiana. Institutions on the left, including unions, have been relatively late to the game.

Ironically, the original Boston Tea Party activists would likely support Occupy Wall Street more as well. Note that the original Tea Party didn’t protest taxes, merely the idea of taxation without representation -- and they were actually protesting the crown-backed monopoly of the East India Company, the main big business of the day.

Americans today also support taxes. In fact, two-thirds of voters -- including a majority of Republicans -- support increasing taxes on the rich, something the Occupy Wall Street protests implicitly support. That’s not just anarchist lefty kids. Soccer moms and construction workers and, yes, even some bankers want to see our economy work for the 99%, not just the 1%, and are flocking to Occupy protests in droves.
I’ve even met a number of Libertarians and Tea Party conservatives at these protests. So the critics are right, the Occupy Wall Street movement isn’t the Tea Party. Occupy Wall Street is much, much broader.

Maybe it’s hard to see your best interests reflected in a sometimes rag-tag, inarticulate, imperfect group of protesters. But make no mistake about it: While horrendous inequality is not an American tradition, protest is.And if you’re part of the 99% of underpaid or unemployed Americans crushed in the current economy, the Occupy Wall Street protests are your best chance at fixing the broken economy that is breaking your back.
Sally Kohn is the founder and Chief Education Officer of the Movement Vision Lab, a grassroots think tank. Follow her on Twitter@sallykohn.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011...py-wall-street/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz1bLq8T37J

Excellent

cooljeanius said:
So I just found out about The Hot Chicks of Occupy Wall Street: http://hotchicksofoccupywallstreet.tumblr.com/

It sucks that no matter what their beliefs are, what they express, or what they represent, it is impossible for women to escape judgment about their physical bodies. Women just don't have the privilege of being judged solely by their ideas, some asshole is always going to try an shift the conversation to whether they're hot or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom