• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
from the Foxnews article:
Ironically, the original Boston Tea Party activists would likely support Occupy Wall Street more as well. Note that the original Tea Party didn’t protest taxes, merely the idea of taxation without representation -- and they were actually protesting the crown-backed monopoly of the East India Company, the main big business of the day.
I've always found this funny. I wonder if the average Teabagger would get the irony in being a member of a movement named after the first protest against low taxes for the first corporation ever.

It sucks that no matter what their beliefs are, what they express, or what they represent, it is impossible for women to escape judgment about their physical bodies. Women just don't have the privilege of being judged solely by their ideas, some asshole is always going to try an shift the conversation to whether they're hot or not.
Yep, it never happens to men. Like Chris Christie. Or Dennis Kucinich.

Also I didn't know every woman in OWS has been judged first for her looks and second for her opinion. That is news to me.

santouras

Took this picture today of Occupy Copenhagen. Lack of support could probably be down to the fact that it was bollucks freezing cold. I did have a bit of a giggle.

DSCN0618.JPG

remnant said:
Did you do any research before posting this? Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Hong Kong just off the top of my have had very publicly shrank their government.

Don't these countries all have universal health care and a generally strong welfare state?

Azih

Deku

Banned
Azih said:
This is the best response to all the armchair critics of OWS. OWS isn't accomplishing anything? It's changing the terms of entire national, hell international, debate. They're allowing views to be expressed that previously wouldn't have even been laughed off as 'loony left commie' sentiment. They wouldn't even be aired.

If the strawman is rightwing talkshow hosts, sure.

But most critiques on GAF have more substance than that the strawman of all criticism is about them achieving nothing.

Azih

Deku said:
If the strawman is rightwing talkshow hosts, sure.

But most critiques on GAF have more substance than that the strawman of all criticism is about them achieving nothing.
Point noted. Should have restricted to just people who make that point (which is made often) not all critics.

I just want to make very clear the point that OWS is accomplishing mind bendingly incredible things.

Edit: Remnant. The Canadian banking system isn't the Wild West by a long shot.

Bank of Canada Governor vs Head of JPMorgan
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-dimon-a-clash-of-world-views/article2181747/

Canadian Bank Regulatory Capital Requirements
http://shadowbankers.wordpress.com/...latory-capital-requirements-are-they-tougher/

maharg

idspispopd
remnant said:
"On wiki" really? Canada has one of the freest banking systems in the world. "The candaian five"

Toronto Dominion Bank
Royal Bank of Canada
Bank of Nova Scotia
Bank of Montreal
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce

are bigger banks, more globalized banks than any American counterpart, and banks in Canada have the freedom to acquire other banks, depositors, insurance and mortgage companies just like the Wild Wild West of the United States

Say what? The Canadian banking system is heavily regulated. They may have freedom to acquire foreign banking institutions, but at home they play at the government's leisure. They also aren't regular corporations, but are chartered separately and thus ultimately under the government's thumb. They also have ownership requirements (must be widely owned and mostly owned by Canadians) that would tend to prevent a lot of takeover activity that you might see in a fully deregulated industry.

Azih

I think the fact that Canadian banks are gobbling US banks says more about the US banking industry rather than the Canadian one.

McPherson Square is up to about 3/4ths tents now. One part that previously had tents on it no longer has tents on it any more because they're trying to let the grass grow back. They even have a sign up telling people not to walk there.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think you can really crop rotate grass like that. Once it's dead, it's dead. Lawn grass never gets tall enough to seed.

maharg said:
I don't think you can really crop rotate grass like that. Once it's dead, it's dead. Lawn grass never gets tall enough to seed.

No, it depends on the type of grass. There are 5+ types in common use in america.

Some types, dead = dead and only grow by seeds.

Others spread naturally and can reclaim dead space in a week.

Myansie

remnant said:
Before i even go into this, why are you assuming all regulation is financial in nature?

The thread title is Occupy Wall St. These protests are all about the financial implications of the banking sector and in particular the GFC. It is wider, but that's what is holding it together. If you're going to say all regulation is bad, in light of the GFC you need some very heavy data to back yourself up. The onus is on you to prove de-regulation is not the cause of the current economic predicament. Popular opinion, at least in this forum, leans the other way.

Your article to rebute Sweden's actions is written in 1992, after the crash and doesn't once mention deregulation or Sweden's Housing crisis. It just talks about a currency crisis. Am I supposed to just to take your word for it?

remnant said:
"On wiki" really? Canada has one of the freest banking systems in the world. "The candaian five"

Toronto Dominion Bank
Royal Bank of Canada
Bank of Nova Scotia
Bank of Montreal
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce

are bigger banks, more globalized banks than any American counterpart, and banks in Canada have the freedom to acquire other banks, depositors, insurance and mortgage companies just like the Wild Wild West of the United States

So tell me more, I couldn't find any info. Why is this working when America and Iceland are not? I suspect they have a judicial system that actually works. If you fuck up, you pay for it.

Hong Kong and Switzerland are totally different. Hong Kong's economy can't be compared directly to America. Do you think their financial models are interchangeable? I can't see what works for Hong Kong, working for America.

And Switzerland? Come on dude, the Mexican Cartels are rubbing there hands together. That model will never be adopted in America.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm not for heavy regulation. I firmly believe there's a balance. At some point you can go to far in either direction and the economy will give you indicators as to when that has happened. For America, they've gone past that, two of the largest crashes in history happening along side de-regulation is pretty indicative.

Like I side, the onus is on you to show us what else could be causing this.

Edit:
maharg said:
Say what? The Canadian banking system is heavily regulated. They may have freedom to acquire foreign banking institutions, but at home they play at the government's leisure. They also aren't regular corporations, but are chartered separately and thus ultimately under the government's thumb. They also have ownership requirements (must be widely owned and mostly owned by Canadians) that would tend to prevent a lot of takeover activity that you might see in a fully deregulated industry.

Oh really, Remnant this is not going well for you mate.

demon said:
Also I didn't know every woman in OWS has been judged first for her looks and second for her opinion. That is news to me.

But that's clearly what's happening in the video. Why are you feigning ignorance?

demon said:
Yep, it never happens to men. Like Chris Christie. Or Dennis Kucinich.

Speaking of feigning ignorance, you really think men get the same amount of scrutiny about their physical (sexual) appearance as women do?

legend166

So some people tried this in Melbourne and they got owned by riot police:

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/poli...sters-defy-eviction-order-20111021-1mb07.html

Can't say it bothers me.

The Occupy Wallstreet movement was obviously something grown out of a real situation with real concerns about what is going on in America. I'm pretty confident in saying these guys in Melbourne would just be annoying uni students. I mean, the 'We are the 99%' chants probably don't have as much impact when the 99% gets 90% of the income as it stands (http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/gap-widens-for-mega-rich-20100407-rsaw.html).

legend166 said:

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/poli...sters-defy-eviction-order-20111021-1mb07.html

Can't say it bothers me.

The Occupy Wallstreet movement was obviously something grown out of a real situation with real concerns about what is going on in America. I'm pretty confident in saying these guys in Melbourne would just be annoying uni students. I mean, the 'We are the 99%' chants probably don't have as much impact when the 99% gets 90% of the income as it stands (http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/gap-widens-for-mega-rich-20100407-rsaw.html).
ever hear of sympathy? they are trying to show support for what is going on over here. it doesn't matter if they're well-off.

theBishop

Banned
legend166 said:

Can't say it bothers me.

What an anti-social outlook. Are you suggesting Australia doesn't have a massive gap between the wealthy 1% and everyone else?

Fusebox

Banned
Not only do we have a similar gap, but wealthy Australians don't have the social pressure to be philanthropists that wealthy Americans do and as a result they put a much smaller amount of their wealth back into local charities and donations.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
kame-sennin said:
But that's clearly what's happening in the video. Why are you feigning ignorance?
I was at work so I couldn't look at the site at the time, but give me a fuckin break. There's a website for everything. And I didn't need to look at it to respond earlier, this is the first I've seen or heard of people "judging the female protesters by their looks first and opinions second". Men like to look at tits, nice observation Columbo. You're making it sound like every woman participating in OWS may as well pack up and go home because "Your tits will be tweeted, and rated!" By the way what's that dude's name who people are looking up to as one of the biggest and most sincere champions of OWS's causes? Something Warren? Oh yeah, that's right. What a looker she is.

And not that I'm defending the site or could give a shit either way, but appreciating a woman for her beauty and her opinion/intellect are not mutually exclusive. Just throwin' that out there.

Speaking of feigning ignorance, you really think men get the same amount of scrutiny about their physical (sexual) appearance as women do?
No not quite as much, but you're a liar if you're going to tell me, for example, male politicians aren't judged harshly for their looks. Try running for senate or president as a man who's short, bald, fat, or any combination of the above. You will not fare well, and not just from women. Everyone gets judged unfairly and superficially, and looks are just one way that happens. I think there are more worthwhile things to get your panties in a bunch over than some retarded website.

demon said:
I was at work so I couldn't look at the site at the time, but give me a fuckin break. There's a website for everything. And I didn't need to look at it to respond earlier, this is the first I've seen or heard of people "judging the female protesters by their looks first and opinions second". Men like to look at tits, nice observation Columbo. You're making it sound like every woman participating in OWS may as well pack up and go home because "Your tits will be tweeted, and rated!" By the way what's that dude's name who people are looking up to as one of the biggest and most sincere champions of OWS's causes? Something Warren? Oh yeah, that's right. What a looker she is.

Wow, this is an incredibly hostile and pretty baseless reaction to my original comment. You seem threatened by the mere discussion of sexism.

demon said:
No not quite as much, but you're a liar if you're going to tell me, for example, male politicians aren't judged harshly for their looks. Try running for senate or president as a man who's short, bald, fat, or any combination of the above. You will not fare well, and not just from women. Everyone gets judged unfairly and superficially, and looks are just one way that happens. I think there are more worthwhile things to get your panties in a bunch over than some retarded website.

"Panties in a bunch"? Your sexist language says a lot. Anyway, I'm glad we agree that women face greater scrutiny about their physical appearance than men. The problem we're dealing with is that women are generally discriminated against and not taken seriously. In a movement that aims to be inclusive, it's really important that we draw attention to behavior that marginalizes people.

idlewild_

Fusebox said:
Did you? You cited figures of 90% and 99% and then posted a URL that has no mention of 90% or 99% anywhere in it.

An analysis by Australian National University economist Andrew Leigh and Oxford University's Tony Atkinson shows the richest 1 per cent of taxpayers - those earning more than $197,000 - accounted for 9.8 per cent of all income in 2007-08.

second pph, if you actually bothered to click the link.

Enron

Banned
Occupy Atlanta now planning on going and protesting in shopping malls and hotels, although the first of said protests didn't go so well.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/occupy-atlanta-event-fizzles-1206373.html

Occupy Atlanta event fizzles in Buckhead

By Christian Boone and David Ibata
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

5:57 p.m. Thursday, October 20, 2011
Occupy Atlanta's march to Buckhead fizzled Thursday after some participants apparently lost their way on MARTA.

The activists, whose numbers have steadily increased in the two weeks since setting up camp in Woodruff Park downtown, say they have planned “daily actions” through next Thursday.

Their destination today: Phipps Plaza in Buckhead.

“Anyone interested can meet us at the Lenox MARTA station at 1:15 [p.m.],” said Rob Call, a spokesman for Occupy Atlanta before noon Thursday.

But the group’s Phipps quest appeared to have gotten no farther than the J.W. Marriott Atlanta Buckhead hotel at 3300 Lenox Road.

First, part of the contingent failed to show; they were coming on MARTA but presumably lost their way, Occupy Atlanta participants told Channel 2 Action News’ Richard Elliot.

Then, about a dozen protesters put tape across their mouths and tried to enter the hotel, intending to walk through the attached Lenox Square shopping mall to Phipps. But security guards stopped them and told them the demonstrators would not be allowed in the hotel, as it was private property.

One organizer told Elliot that the protesters had not realized the mall was private property.

Former Atlanta Mayor Sam Massell, now president of the Buckhead Coalition, had welcoming words for the visitors: "They have the right to conduct an orderly visit to Buckhead, and I hope they bring their credit cards.”

The Buckhead trip doesn’t mean the group is abandoning Woodruff Park, where Mayor Kasim Reed has said they can remain for at least the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Roughly 75 tents now dot the downtown headquarters of Occupy Atlanta, which took over the park on Oct. 7.

“It’s more relaxed now” without the threat of imminent eviction, Call said.

Protest organizers said they want to take advantage of the mayor’s reprieve by taking their message throughout the metro Atlanta area.

“We want to make our presence felt,” Call said.

On Friday, hip hop pioneer Afrika Bambaataa will perform a free concert at Woodruff Park, said Call. Permits have been obtained from the city, he said.

-- Staff writer Jeremiah McWilliams contributed to this article.

Jak140

Lawrence Lessig on How Money Corrupts Congress - and How to Stop It
RS Politics Daily
by: Julian Brookes

"There is a feeling today among too many Americans that we might not make it," Lawrence Lessig writes in the introduction to his new book Republic, Lost. "Not that the end is near or that doom is around the corner, but that a distinctly American feeling of inevitability, of greatness – culturally, economically, politically -- is gone." He goes on to note that Americans' trust in government is at an all-time low, related to the (largely accurate) belief that moneyed special interests wield outsize influence over our political system. In his book, Lessig, a Harvard Law School professor and big noise in the field of law and technology, details how money came to corrupt our government, how our broken system hurts both the Left and the Right, and what it will take to return American democracy to its rightful owners – the people. We caught up with him by phone the other day; here, highlights from our conversation.

You say our political system is corrupt, but not in the way we might think.

When people typically think about corruption in government, they think about Rod Blagojevich or Randy Duke Cunningham, people who violate criminal laws and are generally grotesque sorts. I don’t think that’s the problem with our government. I think the problem with our government is that we have a Congress that’s dependent upon funders. And that dependency leads congress to do things they otherwise wouldn’t be doing—spending time worried about bank swipe fees rather than unemployment or budget deficits. It also leads Americans to believe that congress is just bought, as the vast majority of Americans believe, which makes them cynical and less engaged, and therefore leaves the fox guarding the hen house. That’s not a corruption violating any federal law, that’s a corruption that I call “dependency corruption.”

You have a section explaining how this corruption defeats the left and the right. I think it's pretty obvious how it hurts the left. How about the other guys?

I think the most dramatic example is the story I tell about taxes in the conservative chapter. The WSJ runs this piece where they’re puzzled by all these temporary tax revisions. They can’t understand why there are so many of these temporary tax revisions. It’s obvious when you think about it from the fundraising perspective. The temporary tax revisions are a chain to pull every time the temporary provision is about to expire, and the people who benefit are more than eager to pay whatever it takes to get the continuation of the tax benefit, and so they do. And this is an architecture designed to help congress fund its campaigns. So if you want smaller government and simpler taxes, my argument is you won’t get either of those things so long as there’s a conflict of interest with members of congress who want bigger government and more complicated taxes to help fund their campaigns.

You also talk about how this corruption distorts the food market.

That's right. I talk about the way we have sugar tariffs that protect domestic sugar manufacturers and corn subsidies that protect those who depend upon corn. When you put these two things together, you understand a little bit why we have an explosion of high-fructose corn syrup substituting for regular sugar in our diets. I’m not making the argument that this shows the money bought this result. I’m putting the money next to these crazy results and asking you whether you can with confidence believe there’s sense behind these results in light of the money. In these cases, it’s hard to believe that this is anything other than politicians pandering to those who are going to deliver a large amount of money to their campaigns.

The same goes for efforts to regulate Wall Street.

This is actually the most grotesque example. We had the catastrophe. And in our history every time we’ve had a major collapse like this, we’ve had a government with a strong enough backbone to step in and say “Okay, how can we fix the problem?” And many people thought that’s what was going to happen after the 2008 collapse. What instead we saw was that congress was overwhelmed by an army of lobbyists – twenty-five times the lobbyists defending bank interests as promoting reform! The product of that swarm of bank lobbyists was a reform package that has not addressed any of the fundamental issues that led to the bubble and the burst and the collapse of our economy. And that’s testimony to Wall Street’s extraordinary power over the left and the right.
The president’s pandering to raise money on Wall St., the democrats pandering to raise money on Wall St., and the republicans of course smiling as Wall St. threatens to turn against the democratic party and favor the republicans because of the regulation of Wall St.

Barack Obama came into office talking about changing how Washington works, which hasn’t happened, obviously. You write in the book about your disappointment.

Obama had a bunch of powerful rhetoric that excited a lot of people, especially young people, who came out and vote for the first time in their lives because they thought there’d be a real change. But when he got to Washington with that administration, it's pretty clear he had no plan for how he was actually going to change how Washington worked. He didn’t take up the fight, and that was a betrayal. And what does he have now? He ran a campaign of reform and not being captured by the money interests, but he’s not going to be able to run another campaign like that. Small-dollar contributors are not going to be the thing that makes Obama successful; he’s going to run a billion-dollar campaign funded by large contributions from very strong interests who have a very keen desire to stop core reform that he wants to make.

Do you think he even has the will to pursue a reform agenda?

I don’t see any evidence that he has the will. And I don’t think he has the standing. We are Charlie Brown. Lucy has pulled the ball again. I think we’re going to need a decent interval before we believe another president who says their job is to reform the system.

What sort of reforms do you think it will take?

I think the only effective reform is to get a system where the money that funds congress, the “funders,” are basically the people, as opposed to the funders being separated from the people. So systems that try to push for small-dollar funded elections and make those effective. I lay out my own voucher program that tries to do that, but the challenge isn’t as much to imagine the solution as much as it is to imagine the process to bring about the solution, given how entrenched the cancer is and how much the very people we need to reform the system depend upon the existing system.

So you even propose a constitutional convention.

Yes, really as a way to emphasis that we need an outside the beltway strategy. I’m not sure that any of these strategies would work, but if there is one that will work, it will have to be on different territory than the one lobbyists and members of congress now control. I think that the real challenge is we’re not used to exercising power as citizens anymore. We’ve been passive listeners to television commercials for too long, and not really active producers of democracy. So we might be inspired by other countries around the world that are doing this right now, because I don’t yet see in our own will the ability to exercise that energy and demand the fundamental change that’s needed here.

The last line is interesting in light of the fact that the article was written a few weeks before OWS began.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ngress-and-how-to-stop-it-20111005?print=true

DEO3

Jak140 said:
The last line is interesting in light of the fact that the article was written a few weeks before OWS began.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ngress-and-how-to-stop-it-20111005?print=true

I heard a great interview with him on the Diane Rehm show earlier this week: http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2011-10-18/lawrence-lessig-republic-lost

I highly recommend giving it a listen, he does a really great job of putting into words they way a lot of us feel about monied interests in politics, and why Barack Obama has been such a let down.

Joe

Has anyone been down there? Thinking about cheking out tomorrow not sure if its worth the trip to just check it out

Enron

Banned
Purkake4 said:
So this is still happening? It kind of dropped off the international news a while ago.

The last week really has been barren as far as Occupy news goes. When NYC protest was going nuts, it got a burst of attention but seems to have fallen on the backburner again.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Purkake4 said:
So this is still happening? It kind of dropped off the international news a while ago.
Everything drops off the news. They need the next distraction to entertain the people. Hopefully another blonde disappears so we can all get angry and accomplish nothing.

Joe

fulton st. station closed this weekend, ended up in a never ending subway chase and now im tired. will try again monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom