• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There's no way that's the median age. That's just average age for that thread, or at least for the off topic forum.

Most of the activity on this board is the gaming section and gaming community section. Those skew much younger, and many of those posters never visit OT.

I am the median age for a poster on the Off-Topic section on the Neogaf.com forums

Makes sense Soul, OT seems like it would be a dangerous place for a young person.

Well I emailed the people from http://www.crowbarpress.com/cbp-books/13-lt.html#rc to see if they still have the book and if they can send it to the UK. Hopefully I get a reply.

They can indeed ship to the UK, as I ordered my copy of 'The Last Outlaw' by Stan Hansen from them, and it was expedited to my person with much haste.

Also, it would be remiss of me if I failed to mention what a wonderful tome of wrestling knowledge 'The Last Outlaw' by Stan Hansen is. While lesser men may use such autobiographical tales to lay scorn at the feet of their contemporaries, Mr. Hansen deftly traverses the rivers of history to provide insightful commentary on his career and the wrestling world at large with all the tact and honour one would expect from a true Texan gentleman. One could do a lot worse in the realm of autobiographical wrestling texts than to purchase;

'The Last Outlaw' by Stan Hansen

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They can indeed ship to the UK, as I ordered my copy of 'The Last Outlaw' by Stan Hansen from them, and it was expedited to my person with much haste.

Also, it would be remiss of me if I failed to mention what a wonderful tome of wrestling knowledge 'The Last Outlaw' by Stan Hansen is. While lesser men may use such autobiographical tales to lay scorn at the feet of their contemporaries, Mr. Hansen deftly traverses the rivers of history to provide insightful commentary on his career and the wrestling world at large with all the tact and honour one would expect from a true Texan gentleman. One could do a lot worse in the realm of autobiographical wrestling texts than to purchase;

'The Last Outlaw' by Stan Hansen

You tryin to say that heeeeeelbilly HANSEN is a literary mastermind above this!?

Gyax4.jpg

It's ok but it's fluff. Nothing special.

Ithil

RAW's world tour is passing through Ireland in a month's time, and I've got near ringside tickets for it. If nothing major has changed by then, I'll get to see Punk as WWE champ, Hell No as tag champs, AJ and possibly Cesaro, so I'm well happy.

It'll be the first live WWE event I've seen since about 2003.

Kaladin

RAW's world tour is passing through Ireland in a month's time, and I've got near ringside tickets for it. If nothing major has changed by then, I'll get to see Punk as WWE champ, Hell No as tag champs, AJ and possibly Cesaro, so I'm well happy.

It'll be the first live WWE event I've seen since about 2003.

If nothing major has changed by then, Punk and Hell No will be the best parts of the show.

Also, if you don't have kids with you, you will feel guilty for your near ringside seats....not as guilty if you were in ringside though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Everytime WWE comes to the UK I say I'll go... then I don't bother, watch the shows on TV and am glad I didn't.

Maybe I'll try for nosebleeds on Viagogo nearer the time.

Kaladin

That reminds me, my ticket for Hell In A Cell still hasn't sold on Stub Hub. I'm not going though.....would actually save me money to stay at home and watch it vs going to the arena even after I bought a cheap upper level ticket. Plus I don't feel like going to a WWE show right now.

Seems the 11/11 NJPW iPPV will indeed be available worldwide - this one's on a Sunday, which should better suit international viewers. Here's the line-up so far;

NJPW "40TH ANNIVERSARY POWER STRUGGLE", 2012.11.11
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM

1. Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
2. IWGP Tag Team Title:
Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs. Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
3. Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title Contendership:
Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto
4. IWGP Intercontinental Title:
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Karl Anderson
5. IWGP Heavyweight Title:
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Yujiro Takahashi

Speaking of New Japan, I rewatched Tanahashi vs Suzuki from Monday's iPPV, and can safely say it's my match of the year so far. Amazing storytelling, selling and workmanship from both guys. Also, I didn't notice while I was watching live, but there is not a single pinfall attempt until the 29th minute, which is the pinfall that wins it.

You tryin to say that heeeeeelbilly HANSEN is a literary mastermind above this!?

If a hayseed like Stan can write such a good book, I wouldn't be surprised if Big Dave has it in him too :p

So I'm watching NXT, and this Big E Langston guy...he's not a particularly good wrestler, but I'll be damned if he isn't entertaining. He's like Ryback if he had any sort of charisma.

Big E has been awesome on NXT

Love his 5 count gimmick and its not been used for so long it's original again, the crowd eat up his schtick as well

Laserfrog

Ships apparently Postage for International Priority Mail is $16.95 the kind man from the website emailed me to say. That'd make it about $37 but in real money that'd be about £23. Hmm if only I had more money. Like Jerry Lawler once said I'm gonna think about it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
@DaveMeltzerWON If anyone who was a fan of wrestling before complains that it sucks and doesn't purchase Kings of Pro Wrestling, no sympathy from me.

McNei1y

I think I'm cute. I won gold medals.
I got the moves, that makes them all tap out!
The Angle Slam! The Ankle Lock!
Marty Jannetty still can't walk!
I'm just a sexy Kurt!
I make you're ankle hurt!
I'm just a sexy Kurt!
I make you're ankle hurt!

Alucard

Banned
So, I was watching some matches on the Bret Hart DVD, and I can point out some things that today's product can learn from the 80s and early 90s...

-announcers actually called matches and seemed invested in the confrontation. They built characters through their language, and made every move seem important.
-basic moves like the powerslam were sold hard by guys, and they actually looked really painful. How come I haven't seen a Russian leg sweep or a devastating-looking elbow drop from just the second rope in ages?
-matches felt like they went through a story arc...even on cable TV shows like Saturday Night's Main Event
-tag teams actually had tag team moves. The Rockers jumped back up together, The Hart Foundation had tremendous chemistry...there was a lot of synchronization that doesn't seem to happen anymore
-you cared about champions and championships

Anyway...*end old man rant*

Ithil

So, I was watching some matches on the Bret Hart DVD, and I can point out some things that today's product can learn from the 80s and early 90s...

-announcers actually called matches and seemed invested in the confrontation. They built characters through their language, and made every move seem important.
-basic moves like the powerslam were sold hard by guys, and they actually looked really painful. How come I haven't seen a Russian leg sweep or a devastating-looking elbow drop from just the second rope in ages?
-matches felt like they went through a story arc...even on cable TV shows like Saturday Night's Main Event
-tag teams actually had tag team moves. The Rockers jumped back up together, The Hart Foundation had tremendous chemistry...there was a lot of synchronization that doesn't seem to happen anymore

Some of the new tag teams are making an effort with the tag team chemistry thing. Cody and Sandow's new assisted cartwheel this week got a laugh out of me.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

This is wrong on so many levels. No one wants to see tag team synchronization, and championships are useless. Furthermore, stories aren't necessary within the context of a match. Instead, random useless action that produces nothing (like an indie match) are what really make a match enjoyable. Basic moves are also silly. Why have simple moves that produce great reactions when you can do a triple quadruple backwards moonsault and risk your life in the process (like in an indie match). Finally, announcers' job should be to yell and try to talk over each other. That's it.

Ithil

This is wrong on so many levels. No one wants to see tag team synchronization, and championships are useless. Furthermore, stories aren't necessary within the context of a match. Instead, random useless action that produces nothing (like an indie match) are what really make a match enjoyable. Basic moves are also silly. Why have simple moves that produce great reactions when you can do a triple quadruple backwards moonsault and risk your life in the process (like in an indie match). Finally, announcers' job should be to yell and try to talk over each other. That's it.

You forgot near falls. Nothing keeps a match fresh or moves looking dangerous like near falls where no amount of rotations or shattered bones can stop a man kicking out before three. It's stunning drama.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You forgot near falls. Nothing keeps a match fresh or moves looking dangerous like near falls where no amount of rotations or shattered bones can stop a man kicking out before three. It's stunning drama.
Well, of course. Everyone knows that the more near falls you have in a match, the better the match automatically becomes.

Ithil

Well, of course. Everyone knows that the more near falls you have in a match, the better the match automatically becomes.

And finishers should be in the double digits. The higher that number, the more incredible and legendary the match.

They don't call them finishers for nothing, they will near fall the hell out of your five star classic.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
And finishers should be in the double digits. The higher that number, the more incredible and legendary the match.

They don't call them finishers for nothing, they will near fall the hell out of your five star classic.
In that case, the match should be nothing but finishers.

Top Bottom