• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Just got around to the NJPW iPPV event. Really good show. Forever Hooligans / TimeSplitters, Ibushi / Low Ki, Anderson / Okada, Nakamura / Goto, and obviously Tanahashi / Suzuki were the standout matches. The main event in particular had a really strong vibe throughout. The Figure 4 + sleeper duels were great and that sleeper suplex hold by Suzuki in particular looked amazing.

Kaladin

Just got around to the NJPW iPPV event. Really good show. Forever Hooligans / TimeSplitters, Ibushi / Low Ki, Anderson / Okada, Nakamura / Goto, and obviously Tanahashi / Suzuki were the standout matches. The main event in particular had a really strong vibe throughout. The Figure 4 + sleeper duels were great and that sleeper suplex hold by Suzuki in particular looked amazing.

Tanahashi and Suzuki made the Figure 4 look more legit than anyone I have seen in a long time.

Doombear

Anyone else think that Orton looked odd after taking that Chokeslam? Him tapping Show's back like that was just strange. Concussion perhaps? Maybe just hit wrong? Maybe I am just reading too much into it. It just seemed odd, and it looked like a 'real' medical staff member came in and not the usual group of concerned refs.

And of course it could just be to write him off for that movie.

Seen a few XPW shows available, but no idea what order they go in.

Any ideas:

XPW TV Season 1
XPW TV Season 2
XPW Freefall
XPW Cold Day in Hell
XPW Damage Inc
XPW Exit Sandman
XPW Retribution
XPW Blown to Hell
XPW Baptized in Blood
XPW Baptized in Blood 2
XPW After the Fall
XPW THe Revolution Will Be Televised
XPW Liberty or Death
XPW Hostile Takeover
XPW New Years Revolution
XPW Fallout

I'm guessing

XPW THe Revolution Will Be Televised
XPW TV Season 1

To start?

Well, of course. Everyone knows that the more near falls you have in a match, the better the match automatically becomes.
And finishers should be in the double digits. The higher that number, the more incredible and legendary the match.

They don't call them finishers for nothing, they will near fall the hell out of your five star classic.
In this thread: people who don't watch indy wrestling bitch about indy wrestling.

Kaladin

Yeah I haven't seen a prolonged dramatic submission struggle like that in a while. The crowd reacting perfectly the whole time was icing on the cake.

The best thing was how respectful that crowd was of each other. No one stood during the matches, there were no signs, no one was trying to get themselves on camera and yet they still marked out and reacted to the big spots as they should.

Anyone else think that Orton looked odd after taking that Chokeslam? Him tapping Show's back like that was just strange. Concussion perhaps? Maybe just hit wrong? Maybe I am just reading too much into it. It just seemed odd, and it looked like a 'real' medical staff member came in and not the usual group of concerned refs.

And of course it could just be to write him off for that movie.

The ending was pretty weird it sorta just ended and Orton got beat super clean

bangai-o

Banned
CgDZe.gif

Why are you guys always fighting!

strobogo

Banned
All wrestling is better viewed live and in person, but otherwise you're right.

Eh. I think that's debatable. It's a lot easier to see guys pulling punches, clearly whiffing on shots, loudly calling spots, sitting around jerk offs who want to be on TV more than watch the show and will block views of kids who are enjoying the show when you are there live. 9 times out of 10 I'd much rather watch a show on TV than be there live. There is an inherent unpleasantness that comes with being packed in an arena of 10-20 thousand other people.

The thrill of being there for a hot show usually doesn't outweigh all the hassle that comes with it (tickets, driving, parking, people yelling in your ears, all the flubs that TV cover up, the loudness of pyro, lack of WrassleGaf).

tm24

Lucha is definitely best viewed in gif form.

I do my best to bring you the best in lucha gifs from around the world

Also, watching the NJPW PPV, i love how Takayuki Iizuka just straight up pushes a fan out of his way while walking through the crowd

Eh. I think that's debatable. It's a lot easier to see guys pulling punches, clearly whiffing on shots, loudly calling spots, sitting around jerk offs who want to be on TV more than watch the show and will block views of kids who are enjoying the show when you are there live. 9 times out of 10 I'd much rather watch a show on TV than be there live. There is an inherent unpleasantness that comes with being packed in an arena of 10-20 thousand other people.

The thrill of being there for a hot show usually doesn't outweigh all the hassle that comes with it (tickets, driving, parking, people yelling in your ears, all the flubs that TV cover up, the loudness of pyro, lack of WrassleGaf).

Meh, different strokes I suppose. You may have a point if you're only talking about Monday Night Raw, one that I went to was one of the worst episodes of all time. But local shows and indy shows are completely different beasts. I'd say altogether I've been to about 20 different wrestling shows of varying quality/production and I think I've only had a bad time twice, it's just a fun unique activity to witness.

Then there was Mania, which was a totally different experience. If anything it's like going to Disney World, it was in no way the best use of your time, and not the greatest potential show, and absurdly expensive but the pure spectacle is something that I'd be able to relate and explain to anyone. I'll likely do it again the next time they go somewhere warm and it looks like there's something interesting building on the card (WM30 has my money if Punk/Austin becomes a thing).

strobogo

Banned
I agree that it is a different thing and a very unique experience to see live. It just isn't enough to make up for all the negative things that come with it for me. I haven't been to a show since 2003 and I have had no issues with it. I'm thinking about maybe going to the Survivor Series this year, though. Depends on the card. I've never been to a PPV before.

The last show I went to was a Smackdown right before Rock/Hogan 2. I only went because I wanted to see Hogan live. Seeing Brock was cool, too. I ended up seeing every major guy from the Attitude Era live between one WCW show and 2 SD tapings and a house show in 2000, 2001, and 2003. The 2001 SD taping was a miserable experience. It was right in the middle of the Austin/HHH vs Taker/Kane feud and I swear to god every other segment had Undertaker chasing Austin off and ending with Rollin blaring over the PA system. No exaggeration, I had to have heard that song no less than 7 times that night. It was awful.

The house show was much more fun than either TV taping. I went to a Raw taping in 1997 that was similarly awful. Mostly because that was when they did 3 weeks of Raw and Shotgun all in one night. So brutal. Owen had FOUR matches that night, though. That was pretty nifty. I don't remember a whole lot about the WCW house show I went to besides no Hogan or Flair, Sting/Lex vs The Outsiders, and a lot of really uncomfortable heckling of Harlem Heat. Booker was hilarious, though. I do remember that very vividly. And my uncle who never watched wrestling (and is one of those Republican Job Creator things who might have some unfriendly things to say about the black folk) was highly impressed with how funny Booker was.

I don't think Undertaker/HHH is that indy.

The match was so flippin' good that is transcends pro wrestling superstardom and automatically becomes the best Indy, Lucha, Amateur and even MMA match in the history of time and space as well.

It ended this era of civilisation as we know it because the high drama was so ball shatteringly intense.

Aiii

So not worth it
I like how they don't show any of the 15 seconds before where Punk is getting pushed at least 3 times from bystanders. Classy reporting, showing all angles and what now.

Oh media, how you have changed. :D

Striker

It's the media, and with drugs always circling the WWE and its past wrestlers, let's not sound surprised.

I haven't watched much news on it, but I'm sure some would point fingers at steroids or some shit. That said, it was stupid for him to retaliate like he did, and for them sending a wrestler into the stands by himself.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm not really, there's really no way you could say, look at this guy and his body, he has to be using steroids! Just no way you could spin it that way.

Top Bottom