• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Kaladin

You're starting to get weird again SoulPlaya......also Atlanta Hawks? LOL. They may have turned it around lately, but like any other Atlanta team they choke in the playoffs.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I've become part of the problem... maybe I always was
:(
You've always been one of us, Persp.

Don't deny it.

You're starting to get weird again SoulPlaya......also Atlanta Hawks? LOL. They may have turned it around lately, but like any other Atlanta team they choke in the playoffs.
I'm sure he's just an old school Dominique fan.

notice Kane no where around. he should be there teaching how to read and do math.
He's working and saving up his money for her college fund.

Alucard

Banned
Indy wrestling still provides a better in-ring product on a more consistent basis than the big boys. Sure, some stuff is just spot-fests, but it still comes off really well. If only the indies had decent stories.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dominique Wilkins in his uniforms looks like a Fun Size nestle crunch.

Indy wrestling still provides a better in-ring product on a more consistent basis than the big boys. Sure, some stuff is just spot-fests, but it still comes off really well. If only the indies had decent stories.

logo.jpg

Alucard

Banned
-As first reported in this week's new PWTorch Newsletter (now available in a text version within our iPhone/iPad app for VIP members), one of the reasons Brian Gewirtz was relieved of his duties was that his replacement, Eric Pankowski, had really impressed Vince McMahon and earned his trust over the last eight months since he was hired. Also, Pankowski is considered "a Triple H guy." Meanwhile, as has been reported, Gewirtz had been working a lot from home lately, hadn't been on the road much at all, and was only in the office a few days a week. While just a couple years ago Gewirtz was considered as close to McMahon and as trusted by McMahon as anyone besides family and Kevin Dunn, he has fallen out of favor since.

-Also of note, Vince McMahon went on a tear before Raw on Monday, but in the midst of all of that, there is a buzz because one prominent wrestler fired back at Vince and didn't hold back. Details are sketchy because so few people were in the room, but PWTorch has learned that at least one powerful player in WWE let Vince know that he is a big part of the problem and blaming others and trying to intimidate people into fearing his wrath doesn't change that fact.

Jim Cornette discussing Ring of Honor's iPPV issues on The Law:

That second paragraph reminds me of when Spooky had his streaming equipment confiscated by Homeland Security. I don't have anything more constructive than that to add, I just wanted to mention it.

It seems as if they've been waylaid by poor circumstances, which is unfortunate, and it's good that they keep trying to work around it. But ROH's iPPVs are sorely lacking in consistency; when it's working, it's fantastic, but when it's spotty it's frustrating. I'm probably speaking for myself here, but I'm still waiting for whatever production crew they use to get to a level where they can air solid streaming events for months at a time. As things are, I'm still waiting for them to air 3 in a row without any major problems.

I can sympathize with the power outage, though; providing a constant flow of electricity has always been one of South Florida's weak points, along with providing decent internet service.
They can't even say that vs WWE and TNA's iPPV streams.

I didn't even know WWE and TNA ran iPPVs. I'm too far behind on stuff like this :(

Kaladin

I didn't even know WWE and TNA ran iPPVs. I'm too far behind on stuff like this :(

I don't blame you on that, WWE rarely advertises the fact that they do iPPVs outside of their website, and TNA is hardly any better. Also for WWE at least, it is sometimes the cheapest legal option, and theirs looks like an HD TV broadcast.

-Also of note, Vince McMahon went on a tear before Raw on Monday, but in the midst of all of that, there is a buzz because one prominent wrestler fired back at Vince and didn't hold back. Details are sketchy because so few people were in the room, but PWTorch has learned that at least one powerful player in WWE let Vince know that he is a big part of the problem and blaming others and trying to intimidate people into fearing his wrath doesn't change that fact.

If this is even remotely true, what are the odds that it wasn't Punk?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He respects money. It would also explain why neither of them were sleepwalking through the main event.

You gotta give Vince credit. He has always put his own shit on the line every time he feels he has to. That goes a long way. He loves this business.

I don't blame you on that, WWE rarely advertises the fact that they do iPPVs outside of their website, and TNA is hardly any better. Also for WWE at least, it is sometimes the cheapest legal option, and theirs looks like an HD TV broadcast.

Well, they should look into promoting it more often; I know some folks overseas that would buy it on WWE.com just for the convenience of it. Maybe the cable companies would feel threatened if they did advertise it offsite or something, I dunno.

Via PWinsider;

New Japan Pro Wrestling this morning announced that all major shows will be available worldwide for iPPV via UStream

Excellent news. I'm more than happy to pay $25 every so often to watch New Japan's biggest shows live, especially if the quality is as good as Monday's iPPV was. I would be much more inclined to purchase WWE & TNA iPPVs if they were priced in a similar region - I think TNA's are like $35, right?

Alucard

Banned
You gotta give Vince credit. He has always put his own shit on the line every time he feels he has to. That goes a long way. He loves this business.

He loves money. I really don't think he cares all that much about the people who work for him aside from what he can bank from them.

Sounds like WWE has some internal problems. Hope they get their shit sorted because they have the guys to make for some quality programming. Just a matter of setting the pieces the right way and putting everyone in positions to succeed.

Kaladin

Via PWinsider;

New Japan Pro Wrestling this morning announced that all major shows will be available worldwide for iPPV via UStream

Excellent news. I'm more than happy to pay $25 every so often to watch New Japan's biggest shows live, especially if the quality is as good as Monday's iPPV was. I would be much more inclined to purchase WWE & TNA iPPVs if they were priced in a similar region - I think TNA's are like $35, right?

Yeah, TNA iPPVs are $35. $25 is the sweet spot for major companies like that IMO.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Via PWinsider;

The Jan 4th show too?!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Via PWinsider;

Excellent! Based on the quality of their first show, I'm going to start having viewing parties with friends of mine. EXCELLENT! Get more people into NJPW...oh yeah baby!

Jitters

I going to predict this right now and screencap for proof. Ryback will win the Royal Rumble. Not sure what belt he will go for (probably SD!'s) ,but he will win the RR match.

Second thing. Does anyone else feel like TNA is slipping right back into the boring-ness that it was in before the summer? I mean, the main event to their own "Wrestlemania" is a complete afterthought. While they're doing every thing to push Bully, even having him beat BOTH guys in the main event and all he is doing is teaming with Sting in TNA's umpteenth faction storyline. The Knockouts and the X-Division are completely dead. Roode and Storm will not have near the heat they had going into Lockdown (though I'm expecting a MOTY candidate). I'm a big fan of a lot of their stars ,but they are a mess right now. They were doing so well too. :(

Thirdly, KK is coloring her hair dark. And she said she might even go darker!
ibrZcAJZJom0o6.jpg

BlazinAm

I going to predict this right now and screencap for proof. Ryback will win the Royal Rumble. Not sure what belt he will go for (probably SD!'s) ,but he will win the RR match.

Goddamn it Daniel Bryan is the hottest thing they have in the midcard. Brock worked because you could believe it and he had the wrestling chops to back it up which is in the end key. Ryback just has the look and that is it. His wrestling skills and mic skills are unknown. Bryan has it all and management doesn't see that he is the next "it".

I don't think Ryback will win the Rumble, but I could see them having him break Kane's record for most eliminations.

Also, I'm kinda interested to see if Ryback can wrestle a 10-15 minute PPV match without getting gassed/seriously injuring someone.

Kaladin

I read that Ryback is fighting Punk on the house shows this month to prepare for a potential match at HIAC. It should be interesting to see if they have to do it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Goddamn it Daniel Bryan is the hottest thing they have in the midcard. Brock worked because you could believe it and he had the wrestling chops to back it up which is in the end key. Ryback just has the look and that is it. His wrestling skills and mic skills are unknown. Bryan has it all and management doesn't see that he is the next "it".

Bryan is the main event. He was the challenger for the main title and main event on Raw for 3 PPV's and now he's made the Tag-Team Belts main event material as well.

He is all over TV, is pushed, pushed and then pushed some more.

This imaginary world you live in where management is not behind Daniel Bryan... You need to leave it man and join us in reality.

somedevil

If they follow the plan thats most likely going to happen is that John Cena will win the Royal Rumble to face the Rock again at Wrestlemania.

This after the Rock beats Punk for the title at Royal Rumble.

edit: For Daniel Bryan is over as hell and for this smackdown they are trying to get a stale heel heat by wrestling him, but it won't work.

I don't think Ryback will win the Rumble, but I could see them having him break Kane's record for most eliminations.

Also, I'm kinda interested to see if Ryback can wrestle a 10-15 minute PPV match without getting gassed/seriously injuring someone.

Oh good god no! it's like genuinely a thing they would do, well Kane's would still be more impressive, he eliminated superior attitude era jobbers and midcarders, hell he eliminated The Rock.
Ryback will be throwing out former NXT remnants and a few of the previously mentioned AE midcarders returning over a decade later for a one night paycheck because WWE can't adequately fill up the rumble.

Actually relating to your second point Ryback would be too gassed to break the record before he himself breaks down.

My guess would be that the Hell No angles final blow off will be at Mania.

Their trajectory will be retain at HIAC and solidify -> Retain at SS or assist the winning team -> Retain at TLC and become besties -> Eliminate each other at RR (maybe lose the titles earlier in the night) -> Murder each other by death inside an EC match -> Wrestlemania Street Fight or whatever

Second thing. Does anyone else feel like TNA is slipping right back into the boring-ness that it was in before the summer? I mean, the main event to their own "Wrestlemania" is a complete afterthought. While they're doing every thing to push Bully, even having him beat BOTH guys in the main event and all he is doing is teaming with Sting in TNA's umpteenth faction storyline. The Knockouts and the X-Division are completely dead. Roode and Storm will not have near the heat they had going into Lockdown (though I'm expecting a MOTY candidate). I'm a big fan of a lot of their stars ,but they are a mess right now. They were doing so well too. :(

Thirdly, KK is coloring her hair dark. And she said she might even go darker!
ibrZcAJZJom0o6.jpg

Huh... Kelly looks pretty good without all that face paint she had in WWE.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Please, don't let this happen. It's fucked up, but they'll probably do this, and just let Kane break HBK's record for most overall eliminations.

Thanks for this, it helped calm me down.

BTW, Bryan DOES NOT need to win the RR. He's established. The RR does nothing for anyone, anyway.

somedevil

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Please, don't let this happen. It's fucked up, but they'll probably do this, and just let Kane break HBK's record for most overall eliminations.

BTW, Bryan DOES NOT need to win the RR. He's established. The RR does nothing for anyone, anyway.

Its going to happen and expect John Cena to eliminate Ryback after he breaks Kane's Record.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Hey remember how he beat down Cena at the rumble this year but wasn't put in the actual rumble match yet Big Show and Ziggler were despite failing in their title matches the same night? still irritates me.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Its going to happen and expect John Cena to eliminate Ryback after he breaks Kane's Record.
So, Cena gets to play SCSA?

Reminds me, I actually rewatched RR 2001, and it's still the best rumble ever. Actual surprises, multiple storylines told in the match, every entrant and elimination made sense and didn't feel random, great surprises, and it actually had the biggest names in the company in it, and involved with it.

Hey remember how he beat down Cena at the rumble this year but wasn't put in the actual rumble match yet Big Show and Ziggler were despite failing in their title matches the same night? still irritates me.
Yeah, you could tell that they just didn't want him to break the record.

BlazinAm

Bryan is the main event. He was the challenger for the main title and main event on Raw for 3 PPV's and now he's made the Tag-Team Belts main event material as well.

He is all over TV, is pushed, pushed and then pushed some more.

This imaginary world you live in where management is not behind Daniel Bryan... You need to leave it man and join us in reality.

Look at how Brock was positioned in 02-03 that is what they want for Ryback, yes I understand what you are saying but remember that Del Rio had title chances before he won the Royal Rumble, and after title reigns and all that is stuck in an odd spot. I know that Daniel Bryan is getting a lot of attention but there isn't idea of hey he is the "it" that we can back a show behind him, like what they are doing and it isn't sticking akin to Sheamus.

Jitters

Reminds me, I actually rewatched RR 2001, and it's still the best rumble ever. Actual surprises, multiple storylines told in the match, every entrant and elimination made sense and didn't feel random, great surprises, and it actually had the biggest names in the company in it, and involved with it.

I love that one too. That, 2000, and 1992 are the best. Although, I enjoy every Rumble. Something about the whole idea of the match is fun to me.

It seems as though WWE as uploaded a veritable shitload of Halloween Havoc videos to their YouTube page.

You know what that means? It's time for a synchtube.

We'll be starting out in 1999, the year of Professor Beef's birth, with the following matches:

• WCW Cruiserweight Championship - the dastardly Lash LeRoux takes on funky champ The Disco Inferno.
  • WCW World Tag Team Championship - Street Fight Rules - Falls Count Anywhere - 'The Filthy Animals' Billy Kidman and Konnan defend against 'The First Family' of Hugh Morrus and Brian Knobbs and Harlem Heat.
  • Perry Saturn vs Eddie Guerrero.
  • 'The Total Package' Lex Luger (w/ Elizabeth) takes on 'Hitman' Bret Hart.
  • WCW World Heavyweight Championship - Sting defends against the unstoppable Goldberg.

Next, a bonus match from Halloween Havoc '92, When Professor Beef was just a glimmer in his daddy's eye:
  • Unified Tag Team Championship Match (WCW/NWA) - 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham defend against the rough and tumble team of Stunning Steve Austin and 'Dr. Death' Steve Williams.

Lastly, as we prepare for tonight's Detroit vs. Oakland elimination playoff game, let's go back to October 1989 when Oakland met San Francisco in the World Series and the earth quaked, scaring the shit out of yours truly, NWA Halloween Havoc 1989:
  • All-American athlete Mike Rotunda battles the Z-Man in the opening bout of this October classic.
  • Samoan Swat Team and Samoan Savage with Big Kahuna vs The Midnight Express (Stan Lane and Bobby Eaton) and 'Dr. Death' Steve Williams.
  • 'Wildfire' Tommy Rich vs The Cuban Assassin.
  • NWA World Tag Team Championship - The Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy defend the titles against Dynamic Dudes Johnny Ace and Shane Douglas.
  • Scott and Rick the Steiner Brothers lock up with the dangerous duo of Doom.
  • Lex Luger vs "Flyin" Brian Pillman.
  • Road Warriors Hawk and Animal collide with the monstrous Skyscrapers team of Sid Vicious and 'Dangerous' Dan Spivey.
  • Electrified Thunder Dome Match - Terry Funk and the Great Muta vs 'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair and Sting.

That's right Kanenites, 4 hours of action for the low introductory price of free.

Drop in, say hi, watch some quality Southern wrestling right now!

http://synchtu.be/zA20

BlazinAm

Even Drew Carey?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I dunno, I thought the Rumble helped out a couple of people. Like those guys who entered #1 and made it the whole way, you know, Shawn Michaels and... Dean Malenko I think was the other one.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Even Drew Carey?
I thought he was great, and played his small role very well. The match genuinely felt unpredictable, and it's start with the multiple tag teams, to the hardcore rumble to the big stars to the Brothers of Destruction to the end flurry. It was all great. It developed rivalries, storylines, got people over, was fun to watch, and like I said, every entrant and elimination made sense.

I dunno, I thought the Rumble helped out a couple of people. Like those guys who entered #1 and made it the whole way, you know, Shawn Michaels and... Dean Malenko I think was the other one.
Dean Malenko made HHH tap out at WM 20.

Top Bottom