• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Alucard

Banned
I'm not sure that Aries came out of his title reign looking like a main eventer at all. He had 2 title defenses in his whole reign. He won one and lost this one. All while playing second fiddle to Aces & Eights just for D-Von to be revealed as the leader. He literally was a one (or two) and done champion.

Yeah, they never really sold him as a champion. I guess that's where his "no respect" angle comes in...which could have been greatly furthered had they actually given him the win tonight.

If anyone is interested in more Austin Aries goodness, you should know he fought Bryan Danielson on multiple occassions in Ring of Honor, including a "best of 3 matches" series that was legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnzYCitomk (Aries with long hair!)

Kaladin

249569_10151146623556026_784527041_n.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Jeff Hardy is a terrible example for the kiddies and young girls that are his biggest audience. His career story is "You can fuck up and fuck your friends and coworkers over as many times as you want as long as people like you".

I've been saying for the last year how this one more chance nonsense story is ridiculous and he shouldn't be given another chance, both as a character and as a performer. It's his 5th chance.

Lolz at TNA for having all of their titles except one on ex-WWE guys. I expect some kind of shenangians like last year when Bobby ROOOOOOOOooooo clearly should have won at BFG, only to have him lose, James Storm win the title with no hype on Impact, and then a heel turn. Some completely random guy will win the belt on Impact. Like Crimson.

eldoon

I just wish the main event was storm vs roode , even if it wasn't for the belt - which it should have been.
12 months build up for the storm vs roode vs 2 months bfg series then 3 weeks hardy for the belt

sometimes the belt is under a match and this was a case of it but it would of been better if roode jobbed with the belt for storm or was higher on the card

Kaladin

I do get the feeling that Jeff Hardy is more of a "we'll give him a big moment win" instead of a "we'll give him a long term reign" kind of champion.

Toki767

Jeff Hardy is a terrible example for the kiddies and young girls that are his biggest audience. His career story is "You can fuck up and fuck your friends and coworkers over as many times as you want as long as people like you".

I've been saying for the last year how this one more chance nonsense story is ridiculous and he shouldn't be given another chance, both as a character and as a performer. It's his 5th chance.

Lolz at TNA for having all of their titles except one on ex-WWE guys. I expect some kind of shenangians like last year when Bobby ROOOOOOOOooooo clearly should have won at BFG, only to have him lose, James Storm win the title with no hype on Impact, and then a heel turn. Some completely random guy will win the belt on Impact. Like Crimson.

It feels even worse to me that TNA has to offer Hardy a title reign to get him to resign a contract instead of Hardy just resigning because TNA has given him so many opportunities after so many screwups. Now there's a role model to be proud of.

Wouldn't you toss AJ and Kurt Angle into that list as well?...Provided that they don't stay together as a tag team for too long.

AJ Styles can hang with the top guys, too. He's still young.

So...

-Good opening match with RVD gaining relevance again, and Zema Ion hopefully still staying in the picture.
-Samoa Joe retaining to keep most people happy, and Magnus still came off looking good.
-Al Snow and Joey Ryan putting on a decent match until an absolutely stupid run-in.
-Morgan and Roode with an absolutely brutal street fight that will be talked about for months...and no one will mention King Mo.
-A superb tag team match that made bigger stars out of Daniels, Kazarian, and AJ Styles, while the most forgettable team of the three ended up winning the belts.
-Tara wins and kills the mood by bringing out some C-list celeb as her boyfriend.
-Aces and Eights provide for a totally forgettable match that was only note-worthy for the reveal of D-Von...and Hogan Hogan'd while millions shook their heads around the world.
-Awesome main event with a guy winning who has no personality, while a guy who can run point gets left behind, but hopefully not for long.

Overall, an 8/10 PPV for me. Nice job, TNA, despite two bad booking decisions (tag champs and Aries should have retained), and one bland match that furthered a bland storyline. (Aces and Eights)

The PPV was very good but TNA is a bunch of dumbasses.

-Roode vs Storm has been brewing for a year, with the title as the prize.
- TNA decides to put the belt on Aries due to how over he is, I was against it but I understood it.
-Aries is MEGA over so........TNA turns him heel.......uh oh.
-Roode vs Storm for some reason now has King Mo. Completely unnecessary.
-Jeff wins the BFG series.....uh oh
- A feud that results in a MOTY contender is now on the fucking midcard.
- Your mega over star in the making is now a chickenshit heel
- You put the title on a drugged out loser at your biggest show of the year to kiss his ass.

The talent and match quality in TNA is excellent. The bullshit wcw style management from Hogan, Bischoff and Pritchard is absolutely unacceptable. TNA can be really good, they have the players but the coaches are fucking garbage. Give Lagana the book and fire the over the hill has beens and watch the company grow. If I won the lotto I would buy TNA and actually run it like a fucking business.

Alucard

Banned
I do get the feeling that Jeff Hardy is more of a "we'll give him a big moment win" instead of a "we'll give him a long term reign" kind of champion.

Thought Aries would be a "let's give him a long reign because he's the total package" type of champion, and he turned out to be a "let's give him a big moment win" champion. Shit is backwards in this company.

I hope you're right!

This is my biggest issue, honestly. The guy is "okay" in the ring, and nowhere near as hateable as Cena, but to give him yet another reign as the face of your company just makes me smh. At this point, Jeff should be a mid level enhancement talent that generates pops and helps get midcard heels over.

VerTiGo

Banned
Thought Aries would be a "let's give him a long reign because he's the total package" type of champion, and he turned out to be a "let's give him a big moment win" champion. Shit is backwards in this company.

I hope you're right!

Aries should walk out on this company right now. I'm now convinced he did indeed shoot on Impact.

Alucard

Banned
The PPV was very good but TNA is a bunch of dumbasses.

-Roode vs Storm has been brewing for a year, with the title as the prize.
- TNA decides to put the belt on Aries due to how over he is, I was against it but I understood it.
-Aries is MEGA over so........TNA turns him heel.......uh oh.
-Roode vs Storm for some reason now has King Mo. Completely unnecessary.
-Jeff wins the BFG series.....uh oh
- A feud that results in a MOTY contender is now on the fucking midcard.
- Your mega over star in the making is now a chickenshit heel
- You put the title on a drugged out loser at your biggest show of the year to kiss his ass.

The talent and match quality in TNA is excellent. The bullshit wcw style management from Hogan, Bischoff and Pritchard is absolutely unacceptable. TNA can be really good, they have the players but the coaches are fucking garbage. Give Lagana the book and fire the over the hill has beens and watch the company grow. If I won the lotto I would buy TNA and actually run it like a fucking business.

So, who is actually in charge of the major booking decisions? Is it a small committee of Hogan, Bischoff, and Pritchard?

So, who is actually in charge of the major booking decisions? Is it a small committee of Hogan, Bischoff, and Pritchard?
I believe Lagana and Pritchard do the booking but Hogan and Bischoff, mainly Hogan, make "suggestions". Hogan recently admitted that he is the one who put the kabash on Storm winning the title at Lockdown.

Alucard

Banned
This is my biggest issue, honestly. The guy is "okay" in the ring, and nowhere near as hateable as Cena, but to give him yet another reign as the face of your company just makes me smh. At this point, Jeff should be a mid level enhancement talent that generates pops and helps get midcard heels over.

Seriously.

I do think it's easier to see these things from the outside, though. Relationships, friendships, and locker room personalities likely play a big role in determining who does what in the company. When you're talking to these guys daily and are right in the thick of it, it's probably hard to keep an objective outsider's perspective.

But yeah, TNA has a big talent pool and actually has more main event guys than WWE right now. (Aries, Roode, Morgan, Styles, Angle) It's a shame that it's run by guys who are out of touch and treat the business like an old boys' club.

strobogo

Banned
It feels even worse to me that TNA has to offer Hardy a title reign to get him to resign a contract instead of Hardy just resigning because TNA has given him so many opportunities after so many screwups. Now there's a role model to be proud of.

Or why winning a fake title would make you stay. "But, we'll make you champion!" "eh, ok". At least in Punk's case, it was more than the fake title, it was about building the company around him. TNA doesn't build around one person and really never has. Jeff Hardy won't be the focus of advertising campaigns (because TNA doesn't really have advertising campagins). It is purely an ego jerk off. Jeff Hardy isn't any more important to TNA than anyone else. If they got rid of Hogan, Sting, Bully, Jeff, and Angle, their ratings wouldn't change at all. So why not try to build up newer stars instead of keep falling back on WWE guys?

RVD winning the X-Division title is pretty stupid, too.

daemissary

As much as I hate all 3 of the title changes, I hafta give TNA props for the overall match quality tonight. Only Ryan v Snow and Tara v Tess were snoozefests, everything else was excellent.

Apart from the winners and losers of course.

Alucard

Banned

LOL. You can see Hogan working it out in his head...

"OKAY, BROTHERS. WE HIT 'EM WITH A SWERVE HEADING INTO BOUND FOR GLORY. WE TURN ARIES HEEL BECAUSE THE GUY IS GETTING TOO POPULAR. AND EVEN THOUGH HE'S STILL JUST AS POPULAR AS A TWEENER/HEEL, OR BEFORE WE EVEN KNOW WHAT EFFECT TURNING HIM HEEL WILL HAVE, WE'LL HAVE HIM DROP THE TITLE AT BOUND FOR GLORY. YOU GUYS SEE IT? DOUBLE SWERVE! TWO SWERVES IN ONE WEEK, BROTHERS!"

Alucard

Banned
As much as I hate all 3 of the title changes, I hafta give TNA props for the overall match quality tonight. Only Ryan v Snow and Tara v Tess were snoozefests, everything else was excellent.

Apart from the winners and losers of course.

Agreed. The match quality was very strong. Sadly, the payoffs for most of the matches were letdowns.

"OKAY, BROTHERS. WE HIT 'EM WITH A SWERVE HEADING INTO BOUND FOR GLORY. WE TURN ARIES HEEL BECAUSE THE GUY IS GETTING TOO POPULAR. AND EVEN THOUGH HE'S STILL JUST AS POPULAR AS A TWEENER/HEEL, OR BEFORE WE EVEN KNOW WHAT EFFECT TURNING HIM HEEL WILL HAVE, WE'LL HAVE HIM DROP THE TITLE AT BOUND FOR GLORY. YOU GUYS SEE IT? DOUBLE SWERVE! TWO SWERVES IN ONE WEEK, BROTHERS!"
Honestly, a lot more people were talking about Austin Aries than were talking about Hulk Hogan. Hence Aces and 8's overkill along with Aries turning heel. Hulk makes HHH look humble.

Alucard

Banned
I haven't been interested in the Aces and Eights storyline since its inception, and I'm still not interested...at all. I bet that the writers had NO motivation for the group when they first started writing them into storylines, and are just now trying to scramble to figure out what their motivations actually are.

strobogo

Banned
Eh, I don't believe that. I think it was a long term plan that changed a few times. 10-10-10 stuff started the very first night Hogan and Bischoff showed up. That was a 10 month build up that they had planned from the first night. I believe A8 is a long term plan, but other things going on in the show have changed plans a bit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

You smarks don't know nothing, brother.

Alucard

Banned
Eh, I don't believe that. I think it was a long term plan that changed a few times. 10-10-10 stuff started the very first night Hogan and Bischoff showed up. That was a 10 month build up that they had planned from the first night. I believe A8 is a long term plan, but other things going on in the show have changed plans a bit.

Do you think it has moved at a pace that is acceptable to a wrestling audience?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Ya know when A&8 first showed up, D-Von was around but they never attacked him. He offered to help Hogan and Sting a few times and they bushed him off saying thanks but we got it.

By gawd...if you didn't see this coming, you need to stop watching wrestling.

Kaladin

Ya know when A&8 first showed up, D-Von was around but they never attacked him. He offered to help Hogan and Sting a few times and they bushed him off saying thanks but we got it.

By gawd...if you didn't see this coming, you need to stop watching wrestling.

I think I saw a flash of that in the video package, but it may have been Shaq.

At his age he's probably MAN MY BACK REALLY HURTS FUCK THIS SHIET I WANNA GO HOME ALREADY. ILL JUST SAY SOMETHING STUPID TO END THIS MEETING ALREADY.

Alucard

Banned
At his age he's probably MAN MY BACK REALLY HURTS FUCK THIS SHIET I WANNA GO HOME ALREADY. ILL JUST SAY SOMETHING STUPID TO END THIS MEETING ALREADY.

I really wonder WHEN he made the decision to make the Aces and Eights match no DQ. It seemed like Hebner and the performers had a hard time adjusting to what they were supposed to be doing during the match. Of course, with the table at the end, I'm sure the teams must have known at least a bit in advance.

Alucard

Banned
The past few weeks have really shown me how crucial commentary is to professional wrestling. Both the WWE and TNA have some major issues with their main commentators right now, and it's negatively affecting the product. Some issues that I've noticed:

-no-selling title changes just shouldn't happen. It happened two or three times tonight at Bound for Glory, and Cole has done it consistently at WWE shows as well. When a belt changes hands, you should be FREAKING OUT. Adding gravitas to the situation.
-making horny jokes during women's matches just devalues the product in the ring. I know it has always been like this, but for fuck sakes, it's 2012 and there are legitimately GREAT female wrestlers out there who deserve respect.
-seem invested in the match. Show excitement through your voice. Call big moves with either disbelief, anger, excitement, or awe...not just raising your voice slightly or basically yawning through the move.
-when the match is over, keep talking about it. Review it. Don't just start talking about other random stuff, Cole.

Blah.

Paracelsus

The past few weeks have really shown me how crucial commentary is to professional wrestling. Both the WWE and TNA have some major issues with their main commentators right now, and it's negatively affecting the product. Some issues that I've noticed:

-no-selling title changes just shouldn't happen. It happened two or three times tonight at Bound for Glory, and Cole has done it consistently at WWE shows as well. When a belt changes hands, you should be FREAKING OUT. Adding gravitas to the situation.
-making horny jokes during women's matches just devalues the product in the ring. I know it has always been like this, but for fuck sakes, it's 2012 and there are legitimately GREAT female wrestlers out there who deserve respect.
-seem invested in the match. Show excitement through your voice. Call big moves with either disbelief, anger, excitement, or awe...not just raising your voice slightly or basically yawning through the move.
-when the match is over, keep talking about it. Review it. Don't just start talking about other random stuff, Cole.

Blah.

I don't watch TNA all that much but at a certain point I was expecting a surprise last commentator standing match because they've been provoking each other all night. Nothing like what happens in WWE, they've been calling each other out on mistakes and stuff all the time, if that's scripted whoever wrote that should be fired on the spot.

strobogo

Banned

Blah.

Compare that to how NXT handled their title matches so far. For the crowning match, Fink was the ring announcer, Dusty Rhodes was there to present the title, and the entire NXT roster plus a number of main roster guys were standing on the stage watching and cheering. Then, for Seth Rollin's first defense (that was built towards actually before he even won the title as he and El Hijo De Le Perfecto had a thing going for a month before the tournament started), the WWE Champion CM Punk comes down to call the match and the importance of the NXT Championship and to put Rollins over as much as possible.

Whereas TNA and WWE proper are "oh cool, new champ, check out TOUT/5 minute Taz anecdote about his jacket".

EDIT: I think Taz and Tenay have some real tension between them. Taz clearly doesn't give the slightest of fucks about TNA or his job in it, and Tenay obviously gets very frustrated when Taz doesn't even pretend to pay attention or put something over. I can't wait for the day Tenay just flips out on a live show.

Alucard

Banned
Can we all agree that the actual "match" part of the Aces and Eights match was pretty shitty? I don't even remember anything about it except for Abyss punching people and the D-Von reveal. Did Sting do something? Did Bully Ray? I don't even recall.

D-Von... actually makes some sense. Dude did get shoved aside during the BFG series and treated like an also ran during his long ass TV title run. This storyline still ran way too fucking long for a mediocre pay-off.

Fuck Hardy. Victory Road was as egregious as anything Cena had ever done and this was more of the same.

Weird seeing all that blood during Roode/Storm, hasn't been like that in a long time.

Except Kaz & Daniels aren't as essential to making the product watchable as Kane & Bryan are.

Err, I'd say that their each as important as their respective counterparts here. Daniels is easily the most entertaining person on that roster, with Aries being his only real equal.

VerTiGo

Banned
I'm rewatching the main event. What a travesty. The crowd was so invested in Aries. Hardy sucks chants... I hope Aries knocked somebody out for this disgrace.

strobogo

Banned
They should keep the ropes white while they are doing the breast cancer stuff. Blue and Pink look awful together. Also, The Encore (is that really their name?) is the most random stable in ages.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbsxwpcTcR1rvjjfeo1_250.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Heath Slater is a good man. The moment he shows signs of getting over, he shares his gimmick with two struggling jobbers. Even though it makes zero sense.
#NeverForgetWhereYouCameFrom #HustleLoyaltyRespect #RiseAboveCancer

Top Bottom