• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Ninja Scooter, we're going to Jose Lothario's gym tonight to start our comeback. Shit is getting real.

hbkdance1kp.gif

BlazinAm

So another physical therapy session, another run into Cena. He has a sick Green Lambo. His injury seems pretty bad. Like so bad he told the main therapist he'd come see him Tuesday right after landing.

He also seems to maintain a low key presence, except for the owner swarming over him.

Green Lambo? When I Google it I get the car.

Also I wonder why does Cena need to make an appearance on Smackdown? For Ryback?

I'm just shooting for the moon but the owner sounds annoying. I find it amazing that a guy like that can keep a low profile or is it more about status of the wrestling business.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Since I'm watching old Undertaker stuff, here's some of my favorite matches from the 90's

The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels HIAC (Bad Blood 1997) - still their best match.
The Undertaker vs Mankind(King of the Ring 1996) - featuring incredible Owen Hart commentary. Two wrestlers who looked completely out of place in the current, vibrant WWF.
The Undertaker vs Bret Hart
Undertaker from 1996-1999 was just incredible, especially in 97 (the best wrestling year ever) and 1998. The guys he competed against, in addition to his output was just amazing. He actually grew as a character, which allowed him to do more in the ring. He made me a fan of wrestling.

B.S.K Pride

The BSK Pride tattoo is found across the Undertaker’s stomach. Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) has confirmed that the initials B.S.K stand for Bone Street Krewe, a member of “Krewe” himself. This is contrary to the popular belief it stood for Brotherhood of Solitary Knights. Mideon (Dennis Knight) has said that he, Mark Canterbury, Yokozuna, Rikishi, Godfather, Savio Vega were also part of the group, which was established so they could protect each other due to the power the Kliq had in the locker room.

What da heyll?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Undertaker from 1996-1999 was just incredible, especially in 97 (the best wrestling year ever) and 1998. The guys he competed against, in addition to his output was just amazing. He actually grew as a character, which allowed him to do more in the ring. He made me a fan of wrestling.

I think 98-99 is to Undertaker what 96-97 was to Stone Cold. It was what defined the character, and it was subtle enough that it seemed realistic rather than just t-shirt material/catchphrases/etc. He had the best music. He had his best look(didn't look like a hobo like he did in the pre-Atittude era). He was in the best shape of his life. He had a great moveset before he started his MMA kick which just completely clashes with his 'big, rough dude' style he had before. He was awesome, but they never overbooked him like they do now where it was just like 'Well, Undertaker will win!.'

I know smarks get banged for thinking that everyone's better as a heel, but Undertaker was better as a heel.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think 98-99 is to Undertaker what 96-97 was to Stone Cold. It was what defined the character, and it was subtle enough that it seemed realistic rather than just t-shirt material/catchphrases/etc. He had the best music. He had his best look(didn't look like a hobo like he did in the pre-Atittude era). He was in the best shape of his life. He had a great moveset before he started his MMA kick which just completely clashes with his 'big, rough dude' style he had before. He was awesome, but they never overbooked him like they do now where it was just like 'Well, Undertaker will win!.'

I know smarks get banged for thinking that everyone's better as a heel, but Undertaker was better as a heel.
It didn't matter, then. Heel/face, it didn't matter. And yes, what helped his character so much, and what made him a better wrestler, is that they allowed him to react like a human in his matches (meaning he could actually sell). It allowed him to utilize the in ring psychology that he learned from Jake Roberts, and put it to good use. His matches had strategy (the rope a dope on Kane at WM 14 is the best example), and he wrestled like a thinking man. It's what made him a great wrestler, and allowed his character to seem realistic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All I can think of right now is that, around this time, we would be playing All Stars 2.

...Or that stupid looking beat em up

strobogo

Banned
I was kind of looking forward to the beat em up game. I loved that mode in WM XIX and have long wished that WWE would revisit that concept. Preferably in the style of Dead Rising but with a better save system and probably less zombies. But if there are zombies, they'd be an ECW Zombie army led by Papa Shango.

F5ing mall cops onto escalators was the best. Or belly to belly suplexing construction workers off of multi storied building sites. It certainly made a lot more sense than Crush Hour.

pants

why the heck is Ziggler teaming up with Big Show.

Who else is going to be the jobber in a tag team match?

I absolutely adore the biker taker heel run. I mean he even made Jeff Harvey a huge star. And his theme was definitely the best in that era.

trunbuns

I could never really get away with the 'Big Evil' era Taker. Loved him up until that comeback at Judgment Day (which I was super hyped for) but didn't like all the 'my yard' stuff, or the motorbike. TBH I didn't enjoy much of his later career until the HBK fued.

Big Evil respect demanding Taker was great, his heel turn on JR is still among my favourite turns. Then he turned face after the Jeff Hardy ladder match and became this patriotic biker guy who was "the best pure striker in WWE", a good old friend to rookies like Orlando Jordan because he's a veteran and was also bland as fuck, so far removed from everything that made Taker interesting in the first place.
What Kane said at the eulogy speech after he buried Taker in 2003 still rings so much true to me, paraphrasing a bunch of the quotes....
"he betrayed himself, he became one of you"
"This man was not my brother, this man was not a monster, my brother was nothing but a fraud!"
Good Guy Glenn delivering truth.

Unfortunately when Taker did return with the deadman gimmick WWE reverted it waaaay back instead of stopping off at 98/99 Taker like they should've and Taker still sort of sucked in the character department as a result with barebones promos and a stagnant character that's only major change in the last 8 or so years was getting emotional over beating HHH so he cut his hair.
Fortunately his ring work was actually a lot better minus the recent finisher fests so it's still a hell of a lot better than 2003 Taker who was tepid in all areas.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
SMS changed formats. Instead of history lessons, we get 2 matches in 30 minutes. Daniel Bryan has a match this week.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
hahahahaha

"Ryder going for the Ruff Ryder the submission maneuver."

Ryder hits it but the camera cuts away to the announcer's desk until the pinfall. DA FUCK

Daniel Bryan vs. Tyson kid is gonna have a ton of cut aways.

Ok these highlights featuring Jake, Stone Cold, and Orton show the start of their finisher but never the ending.

come on..you feature Stone Cold and don't expect kids to look him up???

Alucard

Banned
hahahahaha

"Ryder going for the Ruff Ryder the submission maneuver."

Ryder hits it but the camera cuts away to the announcer's desk until the pinfall. DA FUCK

Daniel Bryan vs. Tyson kid is gonna have a ton of cut aways.

Ok these highlights featuring Jake, Stone Cold, and Orton show the start of their finisher but never the ending.

come on..you feature Stone Cold and don't expect kids to look him up???

Is this about showing moves that affect the head?

Green Lambo? When I Google it I get the car.

Also I wonder why does Cena need to make an appearance on Smackdown? For Ryback?

I'm just shooting for the moon but the owner sounds annoying. I find it amazing that a guy like that can keep a low profile or is it more about status of the wrestling business.
One of my coworkers says he has a fleet of cars, which is no surprise he seems like a big kid. He brings his phone and ipad to sessions. The owner use to be a therapist at FSU and possibly OSU. And on his wall he has autographed pics from Barry Sanders, Robin Ventura and a few others. His wife says his biggest clientele is athletes, wrestlers(hence Cena and ARi), old people and the military.

My biggest gripe is the time and attention he gives the stars is no where close to the regular clients. But I can understand. He might be Cranky Vincent with all the behind the scenes info he gets.

strobogo

Banned
2002-2003 Undertaker is the best Undertaker.

Watching the NJPW IPPV from a few weeks ago. In a lot of ways, it reminds me why I lost interesting in puro. There is the same lack of diversity in characters and personalities that has plagued WWE for the past 6-7 years. There is older legend who can still (kinda) go, generic mean foreigners, generic happy foreigners, flippy/kicky guys with girly hair, heels who instead of just doing heel stuff all but scream (and sometimes do) that they are HEEL AND BAD HEEL HEEL HEEL , stoic dudes, and young lions. That's pretty much it. I'm not even talking about gimmicks, I'm talking about personalities. Everyone seems so stock, for the most part. There are obviously some exceptions.

I was also reminded of silly strike battles that seem to at least stay out of WWE and TNA for the most part. I enjoyed the show, but it didn't make me want to dive back into puro by any means.

bjork

I like to imagine that the real Undertaker died at RR 1994. Once he had purple gloves and the urn was a big flashlight or whatever, it just wasn't the same.

Kyoufu

Kofi sucks. I don't care if he isn't given his chance... he sucks.

Needs to be totally repackaged if he wants me to take him seriously.

Kofi has potential to drive away 500K viewers every week.
Like Ziggler, Miz, Tensai or just about every character not Cena, Punk, Bryan, Mysterio or Sheamus.

The one thing Attitude had was characters and a decent low and mid card. Main Event could rotate between Rock, HHH, Austin, Taker with Jericho, Angle, Kane, Big Show, Mick Foley and a few others for variety.

Top Bottom