• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

I really wish Paul Heyman could find someone with endless pockets and start up a new wrestling promotion. His ideas for TNA were incredible back when they were negotiating with him.

Trying to nip this in the bud before it gets too out there, but I fear it's too late;

Unless the VOD player for that wrestling VOD site has an HTML5 fallback, it will not work on XBox 360's IE. I don't know if Smart Mark has it, but I know HybridEnt.TV does for the mobile versions, and I have no idea for the rest. But live iPPVs will not work on the sites that do work, as that requires Flash.

However, the PS3 and Wii both have browsers with Flash, so these will all work without issue...if a little difficult, since they're not really meant for that use.

Disclaimer: I film wrestling shows and do work with HybridEnt, that's how I know about the fallback. I don't think any sites do mobile versions either, so there's no real reason for them to have a fallback. It's a security thing. But I'm absolutely certain about the 360 thing.

What were some of the ideas?

He specifically laid out a 6-month program he would have done between Bryan Danielson and Abyss that would have been better than anything Abyss has ever done (pre-Joseph Park) in 10 years with TNA. He defined it as sort of a modern version of 1997 Sabu vs. Taz but acknowledging that people's attention spans are shorter these days.

I'm switching channels last night and I see the big guy who never stops eating from the $1,000,000 Tough Enough season in a main event program with Punk. I think he was cut in the middle of that season too, didn't seem much of a prospect.

What do you guys think will happen? Ratings start going lower, and the WWE just says, "Oh shit, I guess we better start trying again."

It's not like they're not trying, they just suck. Vince has lost it, HHH isn't any better, whenever ratings have gotten bad, their solution has always been to push Cena more, and just change GMs to "shake things up." All they would do now is kill off the tag division, end Hell No, and push HHH, Cena, and Sheamus, with probably ryback as the "new star".

It's over people. Stone Cold isn't walking through that door.

There's a difference between "not attitude era" ratings, "bad" ratings, and "terrible" ratings. They currently sit somewhere in between the first two so that trotting out Cena, or The Rock, or Brock, or a hot angle might be able to spike some ratings which is why they always default back to those tactics. I want them to sit firmly in the "terrible ratings" slot to the point where they're desperate enough to try ANYTHING like they were in 1995-1996.

I'm switching channels last night and I see the big guy who never stops eating from the $1,000,000 Tough Enough season in a main event program with Punk. I think he was cut in the middle of that season too, didn't seem much of a prospect.

He was actually the last guy voted off before it came down to The Miz and Daniel Puder.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There's a difference between "not attitude era" ratings, "bad" ratings, and "terrible" ratings. They currently sit somewhere in between the first two so that trotting out Cena, or The Rock, or Brock, or a hot angle might be able to spike some ratings which is why they always default back to that tactics. I want them to sit firmly in the "terrible ratings" slot to the point where they're desperate enough to try ANYTHING like they were in 1995-1996.
It's not going to happen.

The show has been much worse than this in the past (2008 was terrible), and things kept going, as usual. They trot Cena, they get a modest ratings boost, and that's it. The only thing they could do to bring rating numbers back up is cut the show to two hours, which will only make things worse, imo.

You're not getting a tag team division in two hours. Remember how things were, folks.

Ithil

The show has been much worse than this in the past (2008 was terrible), and things kept going, as usual. They trot Cena, they get a modest ratings boost, and that's it. The only thing they could do to bring rating numbers back up is cut the show to two hours, which will only make things worse, imo.

You're not getting a tag team division in two hours. Remember how things were, folks.
Well if they'd actually USE Smackdown for divisions and storylines, not just complete filler, they'd have FOUR hours, not three (if they went back to a two hour RAW).

Dawg, even with 2 hour Raws, they would have nearly 6 hours of television every week to built a tag division. Team Hell No doesn't justify making Raw longer when the WWE does nothing of significance with the majority of their television time.

And was 2008 really worse? The last 8 years have been a blur for me. Just a bunch of meh with a few bright spots.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Dawg, even with 2 hour Raws, they would have nearly 6 hours of television every week to built a tag division. Team Hell No doesn't justify making Raw longer when the WWE does nothing of significance with the majority of their television time.
And even with six hours of TV, the majority of it will go to a select few guys. Come on people, it wasn't that long ago that RAW was 2 hours. Try to remember how it was. It's no coincidence that they started pushing tag teams and guys started getting more TV time (Cesaro, 3MB, Hell No) when the show went to three hours.

I don't know. I think I've just given up hope on them. Ratings aren't going sub 2.0. If they didn't get that low in 2008, they're not going to now. Yesterday, we had a debate, a MNF game with the Bears, and a major playoff baseball game, along with DWTS, and the show still did 2.5.

strobogo

Banned
I think the main problem with WWE is that it is just too big. There is so much more going on within the company now than in 1997. It is a massive, massive entity that can't just change direction with no warning. They are beholden to major sponsors, other giant companies (Mattel), the National Guard, the BA* campaign, the movie division, the music division, licensing out their live production for unrelated events, their online presence, much more international travel...there is just so much more shit going on internally that wrestling rarely if ever is the main focus. The more they try to expand into other venues, the more the actual wrestling product suffers. Been that way since the 80s.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think the main problem with WWE is that it is just too big. There is so much more going on within the company now than in 1997. It is a massive, massive entity that can't just change direction with no warning. They are beholden to major sponsors, other giant companies (Mattel), the National Guard, the BA* campaign, the movie division, the music division, licensing out their live production for unrelated events, their online presence, much more international travel...there is just so much more shit going on internally that wrestling rarely if ever is the main focus. The more they try to expand into other venues, the more the actual wrestling product suffers. Been that way since the 80s.
This sums it up well. If PG is your problem with them, don't think bad ratings will do it, it would have to be a very gradual process, and new sponsors would have to be found.

Kaladin

If Ryback won the title, would that even spike the ratings to a 3.0?

I'd wager a 2.8 at best, but it would drop quickly.

You know Vince has to be considering a Ryback win for the ratings gain next Monday.

I still believe they've only pushed tag teams of out a necessity to fill time. TNA only has 2 hours a week and have, at various points, had World, Tag, X, and/or women's divisions going concurrently. The WWE wastes a LOT of time. Between overly talky promos, constant recaps, and pure filler segments, they waste precious minutes that could go towards crafting more angles to make a faster, more energetic, more exciting show.

So you can say 3 hour Raws resuscitated tag wrestling in the WWE, but the show is suffering IMO.

I think if they just Future Endeavor Kane they'll see an immediate postive effect that eventually swell into longterm success.

Dropping Kane is the trigger that will turn WWE's fortunes, just like Austin's 3:16 promo.

Ithil

I still believe they've only pushed tag teams of out a necessity to fill time. TNA only has 2 hours a week and have, at various points, had World, Tag, X, and/or women's divisions going concurrently. The WWE wastes a LOT of time. Between overly talky promos, constant recaps, and pure filler segments, they watse precious minutes that could go towards crafting more angles to make a faster, more energetic, more exciting show.

Triple H is a big tag team fan, it's him who pushed for this big revival. It does fill time, sure, but they ARE at least making the tag titles seem important and prominent.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think if they just Future Endeavor Kane they'll see an immediate postive effect that eventually swell into longterm success.

Dropping Kane is the trigger that will turn WWE's fortunes, just like Austin's 3:16 promo.
tumblr_mccyydfKGE1qf5m9vo1_500.gif

Triple H is a big tag team fan, it's him who pushed for this big revival. It does fill time, sure, but they ARE at least making the tag titles seem important and prominent.

That's great for HHH, but I still don't think we'd see anything come of it if they didn't add that extra hour, which blows my mind since Smackdown sat there every week doing nothing.

Oh and BTW, Meltzer said that Bryan and Kane spent nearly 40 straight minutes on TV last night. I guess HHH loves tag team wrestling so much he's gonna overdo it. Enjoy them while it lasts.

Kaladin

The only thing that can "FIX" WWE right now is a complete overhaul in the creative process. Throw out everyone involved, including Vince and Triple H. They can still be in the company but no longer on the road and no longer connected to the product. Hire an entirely new creative staff, small.....five at the most, no more booking by committee shit. Then, completely reboot the product with the all new team. It might not be great at first, but it will help everything improve.

I don't think Net_Wrecker and Soulplaya know what the f they're talking about. WWE has plenty of angles. Did you two even mention the Eve - Kaitlyn angle? Or the Eve - Teddy Long angle? What about Sheamus' WHC title run? How many days is he up to, huh?

You two dudes need to stop discussing WWE, fall back on pics and gifs for a while, closely observe bangai-o, a pretty panda, and my posts, and in a few weeks try again 'cause you're just embarrassing yourselves right now.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't think Net_Wrecker and Soulplaya know what the f they're talking about. WWE has plenty of angles. Did you two even mention the Eve - Kaitlyn angle? Or the Eve - Teddy Long angle? What about Sheamus' WHC title run? How many days is he up to, huh?

You two dudes need to stop discussing WWE, fall back on pics and gifs for a while, closely observe bangai-o, a pretty panda, and my posts, and in a few weeks try again 'cause you're just embarrassing yourselves right now.
tumblr_mccyydfKGE1qf5m9vo2_500.gif

Am I doing it right?

Sorry man, I must be missing all these amazing angles in my haste to delete the shows from my DVR. I'll try to pay more attention and raise my posts to the standards set by you guys.

Truly man, I'm sorry for my ignorance. Wow, so many great angles I've been missing.

WOW MAN, YEAH!

I still believe they've only pushed tag teams of out a necessity to fill time. TNA only has 2 hours a week and have, at various points, had World, Tag, X, and/or women's divisions going concurrently. The WWE wastes a LOT of time. Between overly talky promos, constant recaps, and pure filler segments, they waste precious minutes that could go towards crafting more angles to make a faster, more energetic, more exciting show.

So you can say 3 hour Raws resuscitated tag wrestling in the WWE, but the show is suffering IMO.

Nah they were trying to build up the division for a while now back when they were 2 hours with PTP, Primo and Epico, Kofi and Truth. They finally lost faith in Truth and Kofi and that helped the division emensly by giving it two people who aren't jobbers. Anybody else holding the titles right now everybody would say the division was still dead. Even Rey and Sin Cara was a slow burn team the only 2 teams thrown together for the tournament was Team Rhodes scholars and Ryder and Santino

Sorry man, I must be missing all these amazing angles in my haste to delete the shows from my DVR. I'll try to pay more attention and raise my posts to the standards set by you guys.

Truly man, I'm sorry for my ignorance. Wow, so many great angles I've been missing.

WOW MAN, YEAH!

Just cause you don't like them, doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm sorry Encore beating the shit out of Santino doesn't entertain you as much as Val Venis filming "Saving Ryan's Privates" with Ken Shamrock's sister.

Anth0ny

The only thing that can "FIX" WWE right now is a complete overhaul in the creative process. Throw out everyone involved, including Vince and Triple H. They can still be in the company but no longer on the road and no longer connected to the product. Hire an entirely new creative staff, small.....five at the most, no more booking by committee shit. Then, completely reboot the product with the all new team. It might not be great at first, but it will help everything improve.

i'd like to think the show would be better when vince mcmahon is dead, but it would just get taken over by his idiot daughter and doofus son in law and the rest of his stupid family

Guzim

i'd like to think the show would be better when vince mcmahon is dead, but it would just get taken over by his idiot daughter and doofus son in law and the rest of his stupid family

I'm sure HHH's daughters could be better than the current creative team.

Kaladin

In my scenario, the entire McMahon family would be completely disconnected from the company, perhaps with only the ability to hire and fire......but I would prefer if they didn't even have that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
In my scenario, the entire McMahon family would be completely disconnected from the company, perhaps with only the ability to hire and fire......but I would prefer if they didn't even have that.
This will never happen, unless someone buys them out.

Face it folks, it's over. Ted Turner isn't walking through that door.

Just cause you don't like them, doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm sorry Encore beating the shit out of Santino doesn't entertain you as much as Val Venis filming "Saving Ryan's Privates" with Ken Shamrock's sister.

Saving Ryan's Privates was a classic angle, alright. Don't you try to besmirch its legacy with comparisons to Santino and that other guy.

yea there needs to be some change, tho any change will still have vince as the final word. there jsut seems to be too mcuh pointless dead air. they had trouble with 2 hours and 3 is hurting.

its not like they dont have the talent to di they just choose not too. TNA packed more into 1 hour than wwe has with 3

Kaladin

You know what would really spike ratings and PPV buys?

Brock Lesnar advertised as #30 (or #40) in the Royal Rumble. People will tune in to see him in that environment wrecking shit.

Saving Ryan's Privates was a classic angle, alright. Don't you try to besmirch its legacy with comparisons to Santino and that other guy.
Sure, but you need to come to grips with the fact that it's not for us anymore, just like Nintendo. 10 years from now when Professor Beef is our age, he'll be talking about Heath Slater just like we talk about Val Venis.
You know what would really spike ratings and PPV buys?

Brock Lesnar advertised as #30 (or #40) in the Royal Rumble. People will tune in to see him in that environment wrecking shit.

First, they'd need to do a split screen with a camera constantly on Brock during the Rumble. Then, in the lead up to the show they need to have a weekly 15 minute segment in the same vein as 24/7 and Hard Knocks, following Brock around as he gets ready for the Rumble, with Floyd Mayweather in Brock's training camp.

Top Bottom