• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's kinda amazing that Lesnar put over more people than anyone. Amazing and sad
The one thing I'm not looking forward to in the upcoming months is watching Taker's carcass being dragged out, then pulling out some tired ass "last outlaw" promo, then proceed to beat someone at WM, then disappear afterwards.

Taker was amazing in 96-99. However, we're closing in on a decade now of this guy doing nothing for no one.

tm24

The one thing I'm not looking forward to in the upcoming months is watching Taker's carcass being dragged out, then pulling out some tired ass "last outlaw" promo, then proceed to beat someone at WM, then disappear afterwards.

Taker was amazing in 96-99. We're closing in on a decade now of this guy doing nothing for no one.

According to PWI, he's not even scheduled to do anything at WM. At this point the only thing they even have as a tentative plan is an entry in the RR

McNei1y

Taker was amazing in 96-99. However, we're closing in on a decade now of this guy doing nothing for no one.

Sounds like you're jealous of your brother.

The reason Jericho is wrong about the Ryback thing is you simply do not put someone like that so goddamn over unless you're sure they can handle it. Have we even heard Ryback on the mic yet? He needs to be able to talk and carry storylines. He can't do this feed me more bullshit as champion. Until a suitable candidate is in the title picture, Punk should keep it.

jmdajr

The reason Jericho is wrong about the Ryback thing is you simply do not put someone like that so goddamn over unless you're sure they can handle it. Have we even heard Ryback on the mic yet? He needs to be able to talk and carry storylines. He can't do this feed me more bullshit as champion. Until a suitable candidate is in the title picture, Punk should keep it.

I don't think he's been in a match longer than 5 minutes. I'd have to go back to NXT and see what kind of work he did. Whatever it was, it was not memorable at the time.

They can get Ryback over but they have to kill Punk to do it. Take Heyman away and give him to Ryback as his mouth piece and let Heyman do all the work. But if there just gonna have Punk lose right now and win the title back at TLC then don't have him lose it at all because it would hurt the rock vs punk program

Enfinit

Alright wrestleGAF, it's time for the slightly-too-early Hell in a (the) Cell Pick 'Ems!

Sheamus (c) vs. The Big Show (World Heavyweight Championship match)
Team Hell No (c) vs. Team Rhodes Scholars (Tag Team Championship match)
Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio
Kofi Kingston (c) vs. The Miz (Intercontinental Championship match)
CM Punk (c) vs. Ryback (Hell in a Cell WWE Championship match)

Bonus points for predicting matches added to the card! More bonus points for calling the ending!

Enfinit's picks:
Sheamus (c) vs. The Big Show (Sheamus retains by Brogue Kick, with outside interference)
Team Hell No (c) vs. Team Rhodes Scholars (Team Hell No wins clean with a chokeslam to Rhodes by Kane)
Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio (Randy Orton wins off an RKO because Randy Orton)
Kofi Kingston (c) vs. The Miz (Miz wins in unclean fashion. Added bonus, Miz hits the S.O.S. on Kofi for the pin)
CM Punk (c) vs. Ryback (Punk retains. Cena comes to interfere and help Ryback, but he somehow accidentally costs Ryback the match. Sets up Ryback/Cena feud.)

Added matches:
Antonio Cesaro (c) vs. Justin Gabriel (United States Championship match)
Eve Torres vs. Kaitlyn (Divas Championship match)
Some bullshit Brodus Clay filler match.
Sin Cara/Rey Mysterio tag match.

Bonus Predictions:
- Dolph will cash in the briefcase (unsuccessfully).
- Dolph will lose Vicki and turn face.

Definitely-not-going-to-happen Predictions:
- Ric Flair is made new RAW/SD GM.
- Brock Lesnar outta nowhere to help Punk retain title.

I'm-fucking-crazy Predictions:
- Stone Cold outta nowhere to kick Brock Lesnar's ass and cost Punk the title.

Striker

I'm a Jerichoholic. He really is heel for life. He's got the start and stop pushes 100% right. It's pathetic.
My issue with these are they're commonly doing it to talented guys. Punk early 2009 and prior, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Christian (older vet, but somebody new in the ME scene), Sheamus off his ECW departure and subsequent burial for a while, Wade Barrett, list goes on and on.

But here they are, pushing another guy out of the blue, and the issue is firm, he's terrible. He cannot talk or make a promo, he cannot wrestle and his character is pretty one dimensional. If they were pushing this to somebody new, or just returned from injury (hello Wade Barrett), I would be in total favor. I agree with Jericho in that Punk's reign has been very stagnant, and something needs to happen. But we will look at this in a year from now and watch a show that week, and see the WWE/Vince is doing the same start & stop push and having Cena co-head the shows. It's been going on for six plus years.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why are people assuming that Ryback can't wrestle? Goldberg wasn't that good either, but damn it, his match with DDP in 98 was pretty damn good to me.

I expect something similar here.

Striker

Why are people assuming that Ryback can't wrestle? Goldberg wasn't that good either, but damn it, his match with DDP in 98 was pretty damn good to me.

I expect something similar here.
Something you can see between those two is moveset. The recent moves he did to Punk this past Monday were nice, but you watch his matches each week against the local jobbers or against Miz, Tensai, and so on, and it's all pretty boring. The moves lack that punch, and don't really carry much energy. You look at Goldberg and see all of that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Something you can see between those two is moveset. The recent moves he did to Punk this past Monday were nice, but you watch his matches each week against the local jobbers or against Miz, Tensai, and so on, and it's all pretty boring. The moves lack that punch, and don't really carry much energy. You look at Goldberg and see all of that.
I get that. I'm just saying. I think people will be surprised.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Ryback also needs a new finisher. Something more high impact and easier to pull off.

We'll call it the jackhammer! Basically, he lifts the dudes up like he's giving them a suplex but holds them there for a really long time and instead of falling back he turns into a power slam!

So good.

To set it all up, he'll do a spear first.

I don't think he's been in a match longer than 5 minutes. I'd have to go back to NXT and see what kind of work he did. Whatever it was, it was not memorable at the time.

YEP YEP YEP WHAT IT DO

I can just imagine he'll be like Brock on the mic. "THOSE FEELINGS THAT YOU ARE FEELING ARE REAL BECAUSE YOU CAN FEEL THEM"

Winner_Winner_Vegan_Dinner.gif

Pretty sad, honestly. The roster is crazy thin. There's really no possible upcoming feud to get excited about between 2 current workers.
I don't think the roster is that thin, it's the way they are being used that makes it seem thinner. I mean Wade could easily feud in the main event picture but his current character would just make it uninteresting. Same goes with ziggler, his character just won't hold. The examples go on.

They definitely have a bunch of people who can be up in that picture but the way they are being used now makes it seem like they wouldn't fit/be good enough/etc... They're diminishing their own talent.

Enfinit

CLOTHESLINE!

Hey it's actually pretty good...

That's what I was thinking. Simple, easy, visually appealing when both sell. Wouldn't be too bad.

AJ vs. Eve, I'm very excited.
Has there ever been a GM that's also champion? Would be kinda neat to see AJ brought back as the GM after she would win the Divas Championship. Would bring up some interesting angles.

You know what would make me happy? Bring Seth Rollins, Kassius OhNo, Steamboat's kid and that Ambrose guy all up to the main roster. I don't care if they're jobbers fighting for the United States Championship.....the jobbers will look better with them.
Exactly. It doesn't matter if those guys are in a title picture or a decent storyline for me, they're just interesting and entertaining to watch period. It's a pleasure to watch them on NXT locally every week.

Kaladin

You know what would make me happy? Bring Seth Rollins, Kassius OhNo, Steamboat's kid and that Ambrose guy all up to the main roster. I don't care if they're jobbers fighting for the United States Championship.....the jobbers will look better with them.

Turn Dolph face. Cody vs Dolph. I'm excited, fuck everything else.
Sandow vs Bryan, I'm excited.

Both of those could be solid feuds, but those are mid level stuff. I was talking more in terms of high profile feuds that you could look forward to when someone manages to break the glass ceiling. Had Punk cut "The Promo" 12 years ago, he would've had a host of NEW feuds waiting for him to last like 2 or 3 years. Imagine if Cody Rhodes manages to become a main event star next week, how many really good feuds are we looking forward to? 2? 3 at the most? That's uber weak, bro.

I don't think the roster is that thin, it's the way they are being used that makes it seem thinner. I mean Wade could easily feud in the main event picture but his current character would just make it uninteresting. Same goes with ziggler, his character just won't hold. The examples go on.

They definitely have a bunch of people who can be up in that picture but the way they are being used now makes it seem like they wouldn't fit/be good enough/etc... They're diminishing their own talent.

Well yeah The 'E has a hand to play in the problem, but the fact remains. I'm not really feeling like "Oh man, I can't wait for ______ to break out so he can feud with this new tier of opponents." There's no higher tier of opponents, there's just Cena. Anyone higher than Cena are people not even working full time.

Note: NXT guys don't count since they aren't on TV anyway. That's cheating.

Jericho is right about Punk's reign not meaning anything. Nobody thinks Punk is the best wrestler.

I hope Ryback beats him so we can start the build to Ryback vs Goldberg at WrestleMania.

somedevil

Punk's title has picked up alot since Paul Heyman has showed up. I'm not sure how they are going to book that match because somehow its got to end up at the Royal Rumble the Rock vs CM PUNK.

Hell in the Cell Card right now as it seems:

Punk vs Ryback
Sheamus vs Big Show
Cesaro vs Gabriel
Miz vs Kofi
Hell No vs Rhode Scholars
Del Rio vs Randy Orton
Women's match

Kaladin

Punk's title has picked up alot since Paul Heyman has showed up. I'm not sure how they are going to book that match because somehow its got to end up at the Royal Rumble the Rock vs CM PUNK.

Hell in the Cell Card right now as it seems:

Punk vs Ryback
Sheamus vs Big Show
Cesaro vs Gabriel
Miz vs Kofi
Hell No vs Rhode Scholars
Del Rio vs Randy Orton
Women's match

Throw in a Cena/AJ promo for 3 hours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Has there ever been a GM that's also champion? Would be kinda neat to see AJ brought back as the GM after she would win the Divas Championship. Would bring up some interesting angles.
Stephanie did it.
Regal was also GM and KOTR at the same time.

Both of those could be solid feuds, but those are mid level stuff. I was talking more in terms of high profile feuds that you could look forward to when someone manages to break the glass ceiling. Had Punk cut "The Promo" 12 years ago, he would've had a host of NEW feuds waiting for him to last like 2 or 3 years. Imagine if Cody Rhodes manages to become a main event star next week, how many really good feuds are we looking forward to? 2? 3 at the most? That's uber weak, bro.

Well yeah The 'E has a hand to play in the problem, but the fact remains. I'm not really feeling like "Oh man, I can't wait for ______ to break out so he can feud with this new tier of opponents." There's no higher tier of opponents, there's just Cena. Anyone higher than Cena are people not even working full time.

Note: NXT guys don't count since they aren't on TV anyway. That's cheating.
just remember...there was a time when our boy D brine wasn't over at all, and floundering, and getting new theme music all the time. Now look at the mofo. We simply must believe that someone will suddenly become over despite WWE, rather than because.

I think now more than ever they need to re-unify the world titles and SD/Raw branding should be just to distinguish the different touring house show touring groups. Assuming Punk and Sheamus both win then they're by far the biggest challengers either one has at the moment.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think now more than ever they need to re-unify the world titles and SD/Raw branding should be just to distinguish the different touring house show touring groups. Assuming Punk and Sheamus both win then they're by far the biggest challengers either one has at the moment.
I honestly think the best thing to do right now is just end the business. Wrestling has had a good run, but let's face it folks, it's over. Just have Kane & DB sit in the ring for three hours, read a newspaper, discuss weather and sports, and let that be the end of the company. No more wrestling, no more WWE. It's over.

McNei1y

The difference in top "tier" wrestlers from now and back in early 2000's is incredible.

Why does Ryback need a mic? What's wrong with just coming in, mollywhopping someone or three, then leaving? Let his opponents do the talking. Hell the only time Ryback should be saying anything besides his catchphrase is if they put him in a backstage promo with him saying "I want to wrestle _____ NOW." And even THAT is too much.

Yes we have

strobogo

Banned
I think Jericho is right on all points, it's just that Ryback clearly isn't ready for that kind of position. It's not like he's some crazy over guy like Goldberg was. He's reasonably over, which is sad that that is all it takes to get a rocket push. He's at times embarrassingly green still. Goldberg was green, but he was far more capable and believable.

He looks like Steve Wilkos, especially in NXT days.

I think something that gets lost in the talk about Ryback... this guy has been in the WWE developmental system since 2005 (with some time off for injuries/wellness violations). If he really had anything worthwhile would it really have taken them this long to do something with it?

Seems like they decided they needed new hoss-meat and crapped out Tensai/Ryback/Brodus all at once to see if anything would stick.

Kaladin

I'm glad I sold my Hell In A Cell ticket, funny thing is that it was right after last night's Raw ended. Like somebody needed to go to that PPV right then.

just remember...there was a time when our boy D brine wasn't over at all, and floundering, and getting new theme music all the time. Now look at the mofo. We simply must believe that someone will suddenly become over despite WWE, rather than because.

It's not just about getting over, my issue is with there being so little to do once someone gets there. Imagine Ryback destroys Punk at HIAC. What are the options? 1. Keep feuding with Punk. 2. Feud with Cena. 3. ??? That's it. There's nobody left at the top that could make for a longterm, weekly, episodic feud. Slim pickins, yo.

jmdajr

I think something that gets lost in the talk about Ryback... this guy has been in the WWE developmental system since 2005 (with some time off for injuries/wellness violations). If he really had anything worthwhile would it really have taken them this long to do something with it?

Seems like they decided they needed new hoss-meat and crapped out Tensai/Ryback/Brodus all at once to see if anything would stick.

Mason Ryan and Ezekiel Jackson are both probably stronger, and could have been pushed with Monster gimmicks. But well, their move set is limited even further. And neither is as charismatic. Like for real.

Enfinit

He put on pretty solid matches during NXT. Were they Ambrose/Steamboat quality? Technically speaking, no.

As far as the whole "we haven't heard him on the mic yet", I kinda like it. It fits the whole "he's an unstoppable monster" angle; he doesn't give a shit about talking and he doesn't have anything to say, he just wants to fuck people up. Every time he's been in the ring during a promo his body language has done fairly well speaking for him.

I mean, what's he supposed to say that he already hasn't with his body language?

Aiii

So not worth it
Sandow is one of their best talents right now and he's been with WWE forever as well. It's all about getting the right gimmick.

Top Bottom