• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

pants

tumblr_mblufuwGDa1rizmzpo1_1280.png

Soon they will show the world, the power!

Guy on the right does a perfect blue steel

While we're on the subject of tag teams, the best tag team in the world today is Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi;

ili3OnQDCbKVc.jpg

i98f4ddjl5v8X.gif

Pristine_Condition said:
Have some time while my huge-ass Photoshop batch process churns away, so I thought I'd tell y'all about the show I went to Sun. night...

Anarchy Championship Wrestling Presents "Beyond Good and Evil" at the Mohawk, Austin, TX.

This was a good show, with some moments being downright great, and one being in my live-and-in-person MOTY candidates list.

Great write up man, sounds like a real fun show. I definitely need to watch more ACW.

KissVibes

Banned
Is there any chance Mason Ryan might be getting a light shove soon? He was unseen forever and now he popped up in one of those WWE YouTube videos and was on Raw for the lumberjack match.

I always thought he had a great look and was decent enough in the ring. Plus, any poor mic skills can be hidden behind his British accent, or him having a manager to talk for him.

God damn Bo Dallas looks terrible. Better put a mask on him.

Strange how his brother looks legit as fuck.

Ithil

and his brother Husky Harris.

Because all you need to get a WWE contract is to be related to a former employee.

Husky Harris is awesome though, big talent. Bo Dallas is completely worthless.

Ascension is awesome, great gimmick, great entrance.

I'm finding them a little tiresome. They've not had any character development to explain their "epic" entrance, they just kind of have it and roar a lot. I don't get it. They haven't had any promos at all, and their actual names are a bit lame, considering the gimmick is meant to be intimidating.

Striker

Most of the FCW/NXT games are shitty though.

Husky Harris was a crappy, dull character, but his new one was pretty damn impressive before he went out. Is he still doing work, or just absent to recover? Haven't saw an episode there in a while, though I've been meaning to.

True story, I can't watch a Bo Dallas match. There's just something off about his whole look lol, I can't manage it.

Even since those early promos for the new NXT guys I'm like yea nar.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bo Dallas does nothing for me either, he's just not that good I guess.

Bray Wyatt however, I could watch him the whole day, hope he can return to in-ring action soon.

Same thing as for Bo goes for Richie Steamboat as well, does nothing for me at all, I want Chris Hero to beat him up something horrible, which is never a good sign for a babyface.

Ithil

Most of the FCW/NXT games are shitty though.

Husky Harris was a crappy, dull character, but his new one was pretty damn impressive before he went out. Is he still doing work, or just absent to recover? Haven't saw an episode there in a while, though I've been meaning to.
He tore his pectoral back in June/July, I think, so he'll have had surgery a while back and will just be rehabbing it by now. I think he'll be back in the ring by December.

As for him and NXT, tapings to be shown this month have
Bray Wyatt returning for one of the episodes, not wrestling but in a manager capacity. He'll be managing Brodie Lee as one of his "family" or disciples, whichever they are (since his whole gimmick seems to be cult leader crossed with Cape Feare), so expect new promos from him (plus Brodie Lee in action at last).

Bo Dallas does nothing for me either, he's just not that good I guess.

Bray Wyatt however, I could watch him the whole day, hope he can return to in-ring action soon.

Same thing as for Bo goes for Richie Steamboat as well, does nothing for me at all, I want Chris Hero to beat him up something horrible, which is never a good sign for a babyface.

Richie is still a bland babyface, but he's very promising in the ring despite being green, and has a good look for a face. Bo Dallas is terrible in the ring, even more terrible on the mic (Husky clearly got all the charisma and acting talent) and looks like a serial killer from a Dario Argento movie. Might seem unfair to rag on him when he's only like 32 but god damn he SUCKS.

Unfortunately due to the family connection, Bo Dallas tends to get a lot of pushes. He was almost the Cena of FCW for a while, stinking up the joint with long boring title runs, and winning matches with an "OUTTA NOWHERE" spear after being beaten up for ten minutes. His spear is terrible, as expected. The only good spears I've seen in the WWE that I can recall are Goldberg's and Rhyno's Gore.

They're both young, but I would wager Steamboat does grow into something special down the road.

jmdajr

Unrelated to wrestling but still ridiculous.

So my wife is watching Extreme Cheapskates on TLC. I know most of reality TV is scripted but this is just stupid. The dude is fucking taking a shower with his clothes on to save money on water and soap. Really?.............really...

Guzim

Unrelated to wrestling but still ridiculous.

So my wife is watching Extreme Cheapskates on TLC. I know most of reality TV is scripted but this is just stupid. The dude is fucking taking a shower with his clothes on to save money on water and soap. Really?.............really...

1351061259918.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
How would that work?

Three 30 minute matches and one 60 minute?

(Half of an hour granted for backstage and other random junk)

One 60 Minute Iron Man Match and the rest normal matches. Winner gets a WWE Title Shot at one of the big 4 PPV's.

Great way to establish a new star, put him over an established star in a 60 minute hard-fought bout and move him to the main event with the title shot feud.

Striker

The new match theme PPV's are shit. The only ones that worked were King of the Ring because it used tournaments, Survivor Series because it added tag team matches, and the Royal Rumble for obvious reasons. No one wants to watch a forced ladder match to guys who can't work in one, or a Chair Match wtf.

McNei1y

One 60 Minute Iron Man Match and the rest normal matches. Winner gets a WWE Title Shot at one of the big 4 PPV's.

Great way to establish a new star, put him over an established star in a 60 minute hard-fought bout and move him to the main event with the title shot feud.

Imagine Ryback in an Iron Man Match. That's like 10x the opportunities to botch a move and kill somebody.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The new match theme PPV's are shit. The only ones that worked were King of the Ring because it used tournaments, Survivor Series because it added tag team matches, and the Royal Rumble for obvious reasons. No one wants to watch a forced ladder match to guys who can't work in one, or a Chair Match wtf.

Agreed.

Ditch shit like Money in the Bank, TLC and HIAC.

HIAC and TLC should be reserved for special events only. Nothing in the current era will match the UT/Mankind, or UT/HBK HIAC matches, much like nothing will match the E&C/DB/HB TLC matches.

Money In the Bank should be held at Wrestlemania like it was before.

King of the Ring should be brought back, no "Winner gets a title shot" shit. It just means that the winner is probably going to get a push in the near future.

Survivor Series should actually have more Survivor Series style matches, not these pathetic one offs.

McNei1y

Agreed.

Ditch shit like Money in the Bank, TLC and HIAC.

HIAC and TLC should be reserved for special events only. Nothing in the current era will match the UT/Mankind, or UT/HBK HIAC matches, much like nothing will match the E&C/DB/HB TLC matches.

Money In the Bank should be held at Wrestlemania like it was before.

King of the Ring should be brought back, no "Winner gets a title shot" shit. It just means that the winner is probably going to get a push in the near future.

Survivor Series should actually have more Survivor Series style matches, not these pathetic one offs.

Everything you said should happen, but unfortunately, it probably won't since those types of gimmick PPV's draw money. If it was just some random event named "Fall Bash" or some crap like that, then it wouldn't gain much interest.

Striker

Money in the Bank has been the only one that's drawn decently, right? I don't think Hell in a Cell, TLC, or Fatal Fourway did worth a damn.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Have some time while my huge-ass Photoshop batch process churns away, so I thought I'd tell y'all about the show I went to Sun. night...

Anarchy Championship Wrestling Presents "Beyond Good and Evil" at the Mohawk, Austin, TX.

Really, REALLY good writeup - thanks for doing this Pristine, I will keep ACW in mind whenever I'm around Austin and see what's what. Excellent writeup!

Kaladin

November 2nd - Everett, MA - Fearless 2012 - Live iPPV At WWNLive.com

Respect Match
AR Fox vs. Ricochet

Winner Gets DGUSA Tag Title Shot On Nov. 3rd
Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs. The Super Smash Brothers

Six Man Tag Team Match - Captain's Match?
Rich Swann, CIMA & ACH vs. Chuck Taylor, Orange Cassidy & Drew Gulak

Special Challenge Match
Akira Tozawa vs. Jon Davis

Special Attraction Match
Sami Callihan vs. Samuray Del Sol

Non-Title Match
Johnny Gargano vs. EITA

November 3rd - Voorhees, NJ - Uprising 2012 - Live iPPV At WWNLive.com

Open The United Gate Title Match
CIMA & AR Fox defend vs. Horiguchi & Saito/Super Smash Brothers Nov. 2nd Winner

Bonus Tag Team Main Event
Ricochet & Rich Swann vs. Horiguchi & Saito/Super Smash Brothers Nov. 2nd Loser

2/3 Falls Match
El Generico vs. Sami Callihan

Special Challenge Match
Akira Tozawa vs. Samuray Del Sol

Tag Team Challenge Match
Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez vs. Jigsaw & Fire Ant

November 4th - Long Island, NY - Freedom Fight 2012 - Live iPPV At WWNLive.com

Open The Freedom Gate Title Match - Four Way Elimination
Johnny Gargano vs. Akira Tozawa vs. AR Fox vs. Ricochet

Tag Team Bonus Main Event
Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs. El Generico & Samuray Del Sol

First Time Ever Match
CIMA vs. Sami Callihan

Tag Team Challenge Match
Jigsaw & Fire Ant vs. The Super Smash Brothers

Special Attraction Match
Arik Cannon vs. ACH

Special Challenge Match
Jon Davis vs. EITA

These are looking like three of the best indie shows this year, and they're all in the same weekend.

HIAC is the worst one I think, its like, supposed to be special and omg type thing. Something for THIS FEUD IS OUT OF CONTROL NOW ITS THE ONLY OPTION or something.

Kinda takes something away when its a regularly scheduled event so the champ knows oh whoever I'm versing its gone be in a cage cause it says so on da poster whether we're at that point or not lol.

Plus they still just have HIAC whenever they want anyway like at WM this year, and on that note they can't/wont even do brutal HIAC matches anymore so why put on the song and dance for no real pay off?

Then you have like Elimination Chamber and stuff taking some of the ooooh factor away even further.

My solution: Ditch others and do f**king Wargames bitch!!! Make some meaningful teams/feuds and do that shit cause it was awesome and I always said Vince should steal the idea because I want to see it again.

These are looking like three of the best indie shows this year, and they're all in the same weekend.
Yeah, I was reading the card to one of my friends I'll be going to the shows with and they're all pretty awesome looking. I'm not familiar with the new guy coming in Eita but I'm sure he'll be great.

I'm particularly interested in Tozawa's weekend. Him and now really mean Davis should be brutal and vs Del Sol could steal it all. You can say that for like 12 other matches though.

strobogo

Banned
Is there any chance Mason Ryan might be getting a light shove soon? He was unseen forever and now he popped up in one of those WWE YouTube videos and was on Raw for the lumberjack match.

I always thought he had a great look and was decent enough in the ring. Plus, any poor mic skills can be hidden behind his British accent, or him having a manager to talk for him.

God damn Bo Dallas looks terrible. Better put a mask on him.

Strange how his brother looks legit as fuck.

Mason Ryan went from knock off Batista to knock off giant Bobby Roooooooooooooo. Bo is fine, he just needs a better hair cut. And finisher. Two weeks ago he hit an awesome Owen style belly to belly and then had a big set up for...a spear. One that would make Edge laugh at.

Speaking of the stupidity of gimmick PPV's I think TLC is the worst.

The Chairs match is always one of the worst matches of the year.

Dear God no.

Leave him as announcer, move King in the GM role, have Cole and JBL on Raw and King and Matthews or Cole and Matthews on Smackdown.

Face GM's are the worst.

Heel JBL would be great as GM

Money in the Bank has been the only one that's drawn decently, right? I don't think Hell in a Cell, TLC, or Fatal Fourway did worth a damn.

Depends on how you look at it.

Hell in a Cell outdrew both MITB and TLC by far in the first year they had all three (2010) and also outdrew TLC in 2009. But it should be noted that Money In the Bank in 2010 was sort of hampered by the fact that there had already been a MITB match at Mania that same year.

2011 had a pretty notable spike in buys for MITB and it outdrew both TLC and HIAC, but I think a lot of that can be attributed to the amount of attention the Punk angle had drawn. 2011 (and 2010) overall were pretty bad years for PPV. I think everything was down in 2010 and all but Wrestlemania, Capitol Punishment (which replaced Fatal 4Way), and the aforementioned MITB were down further in 2011.

2012 has seen an increase in buys across the board, but the increase on the MITB was a little lower than average for 2012 (again - likely due to the spike brought in by the Punk angle in 2011).

The only thing I know for sure is that Fatal 4Way (and Bragging Rights if you want to include that) is the only real "failure" of the bunch, but Extreme Rules/TLC/HIAC/MITB don't seem to be killing buys.

McNei1y

I want Johnny back as GM.

Edit: I forgot to ask when I posted about buying a PPV for the first time alone in a long time... How does buying the PPV work with Comcast?

So I watch the CM Punk blu ray, and I have to say, that it was not as good as the more recent releases by the WWE has been churning out. Seemed to miss a lot of things. I was not impressed. It was rushed, and slapped together. Did anyone feel the same?

I want Johnny back too, he should have never left. He established himself as a real GM.

In my world, Joey styles is doing color with Schiavone
CM Punk stays champion
Sin Cara is the intercontinental champion
and everyone else can piss off.

KissVibes

Banned
Mason Ryan went from knock off Batista to knock off giant Bobby Roooooooooooooo.

He'd probably do better as a Batista knock-off. Dude has a great look and could fill that big monster role that Big Show can't, once he's finally kicked to the curb. We already have a Mark Henry replacement in Big E Langston, since Big Zeke isn't going to amount to anything. Plus, Ryan vs Ryback could be an entertaining series of matches. Not for me personally, mind you, but Ryback will need something to do when Cena is back in the hunt on the Raw after HiaC.

Bo is fine, he just needs a better hair cut. And finisher. Two weeks ago he hit an awesome Owen style belly to belly and then had a big set up for...a spear. One that would make Edge laugh at.

I don't know how much a haircut will do when he looks and sounds like Goober Supreme.

Kaladin

I got the Dragon Gate USA Heat DVD in today. It was a show they did over Wrestlemania weekend which was not iPPV and also featured 2 CZW death matches at the end of the night as a bonus card. Well, on the dvd, Kevin Steen does guest commentary with Lenny Leonard for these matches. HILARIOUS.

When fans start a yes chant for one of the light tube spots in the match Kevin Steen says:

"And the Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan Yes chant makes it to Dragon Gate USA as well. It has been at Ring of Honor, PWG, Dragon Gate USA and I'm sure every company in between. Congratulations Bryan, you fucking dick, this is your legacy you left us. Fans screaming yes, and yes over and over."

Ithil

I got the Dragon Gate USA Heat DVD in today. It was a show they did over Wrestlemania weekend which was not iPPV and also featured 2 CZW death matches at the end of the night as a bonus card. Well, on the dvd, Kevin Steen does guest commentary with Lenny Leonard for these matches. HILARIOUS.

When fans start a yes chant for one of the light tube spots in the match Kevin Steen says:

"And the Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan Yes chant makes it to Dragon Gate USA as well. It has been at Ring of Honor, PWG, Dragon Gate USA and I'm sure every company in between. Congratulations Bryan, you fucking dick, this is your legacy you left us. Fans screaming yes, and yes over and over."
Yes, Steen, yes.

Top Bottom