• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are Romney and Obama scheduled to appear on Raw at all this month?

Ugh, reminds me - didn't they do some stupid impersonator for something political a few years back? Was it Obama? Horrible.

Kyoufu

Ugh, reminds me - didn't they do some stupid impersonator for something political a few years back? Was it Obama? Horrible.

2011's Capitol Punishment.

The PPV where R-Truth was in the main event.

The same PPV that Punk defeated Rey.

His ascension began on that day.

Kyoufu

Horrible. Horrible.

Punk actually beat Rey? Boy, my memories sure feel like it was Rey emptying his bowels on the SES. I miss you Serena. I REALLY MISS YOU GALLOWS.

He beat Rey and Cena making him the #1 contender.

Then Hornswoggle made a #1 contender between Punk, Rey and Del Rio in a Triple Threat match cus he hates Snow Angels.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot about how great CM Jesus was.

He did what he could. Gallows was 100% onboard, Mercury had bad luck getting injured, and Serena fucked up kayfabe somethin' fierce. Punk still had a most excellent Rumble appearance where he promo'ed the first, say...6 minutes? Also his Elimination Chamber spot was good, taunting people in the chambers.

I miss THAT Punk, dammit!

Aiii

So not worth it
He did what he could. Gallows was 100% onboard, Mercury had bad luck getting injured, and Serena fucked up kayfabe somethin' fierce. Punk still had a most excellent Rumble appearance where he promo'ed the first, say...6 minutes? Also his Elimination Chamber spot was good, taunting people in the chambers.

I miss THAT Punk, dammit!

Isn't current Punk just a step on the ladder towards that Punk. Of course it's not exactly the same, but hey.

Besides, I fully expect a stable coming with him and Heyman, maybe AJ if they dare to pull the trigger and hopefully Cesaro and Ambrose.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't current Punk just a step on the ladder towards that Punk. Of course it's not exactly the same, but hey.

Besides, I fully expect a stable coming with him and Heyman, maybe AJ if they dare to pull the trigger and hopefully Cesaro and Ambrose.

I miss it when Punk was hungry. He still wrestles like it, but being the face of WWE (behind Cena's face of course) has taken his teeth.

Oh well that's my daily Punk complaining out of the way. I guess we could move on.

Kyoufu

I miss it when Punk was hungry. He still wrestles like it, but being the face of WWE (behind Cena's face of course) has taken his teeth.

Oh well that's my daily Punk complaining out of the way. I guess we could move on.

I dunno about you but seeing him tell the crowd he'll shove a mic down their throats is excellent.

He was brilliant in previous years but he's attempting to move forward so it's obvious he'll try new things.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing SES return for the Stone Cold ET feud.

VerTiGo

Banned
So, anyone else excited to see Aries humiliate Hardy at BFG?

Hopefully, creative at TNA sees how Aries has to carry the entire match and decides not to renew Hardy's contract.

Ugh, it should've been Aries v Styles. That would've been match of the year. Sigh...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to the Feud of the Week - I'm posting mine for this month a little early (Tuesday is when new ones 'release' but I figure I can sneak this out a day early so you guys can enjoy it) - we have a Feud set up for each week to discuss and watch. I'm not expecting too much from it - but if just one person pays attention to what we write (I've contacted others to contribute to this as well) then I'll consider it mission accomplished.

Feud of the Week for October 1-7th: The Freebirds vs the Von Erich Clan

In late 1982, Michael PS Hayes arrived in WCCW for a couple matches against the Von Erichs clan. The Von Erichs, the standard-bearers for good honest Texans and hometown favorites in WCCW, found an amazing amount of heat between themselves and Michael Hayes. Hayes picked up on it and they all worked a feud where Hayes was leaving WCCW, but coming back with his brother, Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy. They returned on Christmas night of 1982, as faces, helping the Von Erichs - teaming with David to win the WCCW Six-Man Tag Titles. Everyone was happy, and the Freebirds had made good with the Von Erichs.

This happened to be the night where Ric Flair was defending his NWA World Heavyweight Championship belt against Kerry Von Erich - in a steel cage match.

Flair was the underdog, what with the entire crowd being behind Kerry Von Erich to a ridiculous degree - and it was held in a cage, so there would be no interference. The fans got to pick a special guest referee/enforcer along with their ref, to ensure no foul play. Somehow, the fans picked Michael PS Hayes to be that enforcer. In an unbelievably telegraphed move, Hayes mentioned to the fans that they would have a "surprise present" for the Von Erichs, and the fans interpreted that as the NWA World Heavyweight Championship for Kerry that night.

The match itself between Flair and Kerry was good - unfortunately, the WWE has shut down virtually ALL of the videos showing it, which is a shame - because the end of the match turned into Hayes cheating to help Kerry win the championship--but Kerry wouldn't do it. In true Texas style, he didn't want to cheat to win - and refused to cover Flair, despite Hayes handing the title to him on a silver platter.

Hayes got mad, Hayes shoved Kerry, and it got messy. Kerry went to leave the match through the cage door, and in an incredible moment that you could HEAR in the crowd noise, Gordy slammed the cage door on Kerry's head and the crowd erupted. Due to blood loss, Kerry could not continue the match, and lost his chance at the title.

This kicked off a hell of a feud that lasted many years, pitting the Freebirds against the entire Von Erich clan. Arenas would sell out weekly for roughly the next decade, in the same arenas.

Here's a few matches from their feud - in case you couldn't tell, the crowd was hot, super hot about this entire feud and feeling the emotion from the crowd really elevated both groups - Hayes and Gordy on the Freebirds' end played their parts perfectly, and the Von Erichs playing the good ol' boys that the crowd LOVED. It was truly a hellacious feud.

Gordy's first match? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKNG1UYtb8

Jul 4 1983 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeD_UKAXdU8&feature=related

Von Erich & Freebirds discuss the 6 man title: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7orWSJpKKo

Freebirds vs Von Erichs, 6 man tag http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ldJ17-6Vw

Gordy vs David Von Erich - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vUL75zV9Z8

Freebirds vs Von Erichs Badstreet Match - 7/4/84 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFPcAs58c1I

Kaladin

Welcome to the Feud of the Week - I'm posting mine for this month a little early (Tuesday is when new ones 'release' but I figure I can sneak this out a day early so you guys can enjoy it) - we have a Feud set up for each week to discuss and watch. I'm not expecting too much from it - but if just one person pays attention to what we write (I've contacted others to contribute to this as well) then I'll consider it mission accomplished.

Feud of the Week for October 1-7th: The Freebirds vs the Von Erich Clan

In late 1982, Michael PS Hayes arrived in WCCW for a couple matches against the Von Erichs clan. The Von Erichs, the standard-bearers for good honest Texans and hometown favorites in WCCW, found an amazing amount of heat between themselves and Michael Hayes. Hayes picked up on it and they all worked a feud where Hayes was leaving WCCW, but coming back with his brother, Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy. They returned on Christmas night of 1982, as faces, helping the Von Erichs - teaming with David to win the WCCW Six-Man Tag Titles. Everyone was happy, and the Freebirds had made good with the Von Erichs.

This happened to be the night where Ric Flair was defending his NWA World Heavyweight Championship belt against Kerry Von Erich - in a steel cage match.

Flair was the underdog, what with the entire crowd being behind Kerry Von Erich to a ridiculous degree - and it was held in a cage, so there would be no interference. The fans got to pick a special guest referee/enforcer along with their ref, to ensure no foul play. Somehow, the fans picked Michael PS Hayes to be that enforcer. In an unbelievably telegraphed move, Hayes mentioned to the fans that they would have a "surprise present" for the Von Erichs, and the fans interpreted that as the NWA World Heavyweight Championship for Kerry that night.

The match itself between Flair and Kerry was good - unfortunately, the WWE has shut down virtually ALL of the videos showing it, which is a shame - because the end of the match turned into Hayes cheating to help Kerry win the championship--but Kerry wouldn't do it. In true Texas style, he didn't want to cheat to win - and refused to cover Flair, despite Hayes handing the title to him on a silver platter.

Hayes got mad, Hayes shoved Kerry, and it got messy. Kerry went to leave the match through the cage door, and in an incredible moment that you could HEAR in the crowd noise, Gordy slammed the cage door on Kerry's head and the crowd erupted. Due to blood loss, Kerry could not continue the match, and lost his chance at the title.

This kicked off a hell of a feud that lasted many years, pitting the Freebirds against the entire Von Erich clan. Arenas would sell out weekly for roughly the next decade, in the same arenas.

Here's a few matches from their feud - in case you couldn't tell, the crowd was hot, super hot about this entire feud and feeling the emotion from the crowd really elevated both groups - Hayes and Gordy on the Freebirds' end played their parts perfectly, and the Von Erichs playing the good ol' boys that the crowd LOVED. It was truly a hellacious feud.

Gordy's first match? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKNG1UYtb8

Jul 4 1983 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeD_UKAXdU8&feature=related

Von Erich & Freebirds discuss the 6 man title: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7orWSJpKKo

Freebirds vs Von Erichs, 6 man tag http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ldJ17-6Vw

Gordy vs David Von Erich - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vUL75zV9Z8

Freebirds vs Von Erichs Badstreet Match - 7/4/84 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFPcAs58c1I

That's like the Hatfield and McCoys of pro-wrestling right there.

I said I wanna order two cheeseburgers and that's the bottom line.

Cause you know Stone Cold love them little White Castle burgers

wit a little onion,

wit a little meat on it,

cause there's nothing like Stone Cold Steve Austin eating those little White Castle burgers

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's like the Hatfield and McCoys of pro-wrestling right there.

It really kind of was - Michael Hayes showed up on his own because of how the territories worked at the time and he noticed that kind of heat - even though now, looking at Hayes back then we're all "Oh god he looks so gross" but he was a serious heartthrob type of dude in Texas. A bad boy, a big change from the wholesome Von Erichs image.

He came back with Gordy, who was basically a wrestling god in his own right (who doesn't get NEARLY enough respect and recognition for how good he was) and they just milked that crowd for all they were worth. It was even better because this all took place in the Von Erichs home of Texas, with fans who had spent the past 10 or more years watching the patriarch of the whole clan, Fritz Von Erich, beat on people. It was great.

pants

I missed TNA last week, was a bit sickish, did anything big happen regarding the aces and eights? At least a tease for this week?

Kaladin

I missed TNA last week, was a bit sickish, did anything big happen regarding the aces and eights? At least a tease for this week?

They announced a tag match for Bound For Glory, two of Aces & Eights best vs Two of Impact Wrestling's best....probably involving Sting. If Aces & Eights wins, they get full access, if they don't, they're out. Also, in the sit-down at the club house, the leader sounded a lot like Easy E.

VerTiGo

Banned

Hogan and Sting confronted the leader. Back was turned and had a voice box but the dialogue used and tone pretty much gave it away that it was Bischoff. The whole angle has been one swerve after the other though so who knows.

And the next ppv after BFG has a poster of aces and 8s sons of anarchy style. They aren't going anywhere or even demasked it seems.

pants

Wait, if they've been hanging around unwanted for all these weeks now, why would losing a match make them leave? lmao

Hope it's not easy e

Kaladin

Hogan and Sting confronted the leader. Back was turned and had a voice box but the dialogue used and tone pretty much gave it away that it was Bischoff. The whole angle has been one swerve after the other though so who knows.

And the next ppv after ppv has a poster of aces and 8s sons of anarchy style. They aren't going anywhere or even demasked it seems.

R88JW.jpg

So it does, I hadn't seen this before....of course, this poster could be a swerve in itself.

VerTiGo

Banned
Wait, if they've been hanging around unwanted for all these weeks now, why would losing a match make them leave? lmao

Hope it's not easy e

Eh, I can't complain. Bischoff actually would make sense. I'm more curious about whom the final talent is going to be when they eventually unmask. I'm only aware of Wes Brisco and Gallows. Brisco had made two appearances on Impact being buddy buddy with Angle.

I'm also fairly convinced that Tara's Hollywood boyfriend is Joey Ryan. They are still working on the angle with Ryan and Snow.

strobogo

Banned
I prefer JBL's ridiculous fall away slam to Swogs. And kicking his little head off.

Catching up on Impact:

Why was Hogan surprised Sting was on his side and had his back? Wasn't that pretty firmly established weeks ago? And where has Sting been for the past month, and why has his absence not been mentioned once?

Did Chavo inherit D-Von's music? It sounds the same to me. Also, lolz to Chavo jobbing to an STO. Has Daniels ever won a match with that?

I really enjoy these Hogan conducting business segments. I don't enjoy their wacky editing. Magnus pushing when he should have pulled was hilarious.

Brooke is a thief! She should be fired. Some Cena levels of noticable talking in the KO match. Tiffany counts in the corner 1.2. "SLOW DOWN!" ......3........4....

Gut check stuff. Wasn't Snow vs Ryan supposed to happen at least 3 weeks ago? And then it was promoted for last week, but didn't happen and nothing was mentioned on show about the match not happening. Joey Ryan was brought up to Al (and Al got a hair cut!) last week, but the match wasn't. Fuck Brother Love. Al should have punched him in in the mouth for talking him down like that. Brother Love is the biggest dick every Gut Check.

AND DON'T FOLLOW ME! But if you do, shoot my calves. Tremendous. God damn it, Bully fucking Ray is the best thing in wrestling. At first I was kind of bummed he didn't say, AND DON'T FOLLOW ME, but if you do, do it on TWITTAH. But then he made up for it.

Garrett Bischoff is totally defecting to A8. I hoped he wouldn't come back. By what possible metric would he deserve to be in the TV Title match to begin with? He hadn't even been on the show for months. And when he was, he didn't really have any important single wins of any kind. Joe vs Anderson sounds like a mess waiting to happen. Anderson is looking a bit...puffy. Like he's put on a good deal of muscle lately, but just bulk and not definition. He has to be one of the biggest "what happened to his career?" in the past decade. He STARTED off feuding with The Undertaker (well, Chimel first, but then Taker), was being built up as the next big star, had the big WM moment, was as over as anyone, then he gets hurt (multiple times), the steroid thing, then gets fired from WWE, disappears for a year or so, then shows up in TNA, does nothing for a while, then becomes one of the most entertaining guys on the roster leading up to his title win...then he lost it and has been a total non-entity even in TNA. The fuck. Remember when he was only on TV to be shown playing Madden in the back?

How old is Earl Hebner? Christ, dude needs to hang it up. He's going to die in the ring. He looks so frail and breakable.

Oh man, lowly PA pepper sprays Hulk and Sting. Then Sting, who instead of being hand cuffed, had tape wrapped around his wrists, which broke immediately, so they put Hulk and Sting in the back of the ninja van completely unrestrained. Weird.

Taz is so fat. He and Al had some hideous blazers on. What the hell, all 3 judges think he's great and deserves a chance...but they're not going to give it to him? What kind of bullshit is that? Him being so young shouldn't be a big deal when they can teach him how to handle the business. Do they make the Gut Check people pay for their own transportation? The new Turtles look weird. Taz would fit right in if he shaved.

I feel like Hulk should go ahead and shave the hair off. MAPQUEST! Does anyone still use Mapquest? Who was drinking out of the mason jar? Hulk needs to decided if it is Joe Park or Joe Parks. He switches it up every other time. I'm guessing it will be Sting and Abyss vs A8. Abyss of course turns on Sting (and his brother). It's really weird when TNA does all the Reaction style camera work, but then have at least 5 cameras in the A8 Clubhouse with multiple cuts back and forth. It's really strange, because TNA has been very consistent with their backstage stuff for the better part of two years now.

Jeff's music is so ridiculous. "One more shot". He's on at least his 4th or 5th shot at this point. From his original departure from WWE to fucking over TNA a few times on his first run, to his Wellness Violations after returning to WWE, to leaving WWE and the immediate drug bust, to showing up completely fucked up in the main event of a PPV in TNA. How many chances does this guy get? For reals. We'll be right back! We're back, but we'll be RIGHT back after this commercial! No, Taz, Jeff didn't land on his neck at all. Showing the replay from a different angle showing it even more obviously was just icing on the cake.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I never could get into the Freebirds/Von Erich feud. Good to great matches overall, but for how long it goes and making it as a narrative I just can't get invested into it or the teams. Mostly due to not seeing what made either of them so special, but that's partly from being a different culture from mine and of course many years removed.

Terry Gordy though I love. He was an amazing wrestler and I will happily rewatch one of the Miracle Violence Connection matches because he and Dr. Death had good fun together in AJPW.

Just watch this match, they were great together. Hard hitters, submissions, and knew how to play to the Japanese crowd.
http://youtu.be/RTWOM7QtDnw

Ah Goto, I watch one of your matches and I just want you to randomly break out into a special attack a la Sengoku Basara or Samurai Warriors.

Top Bottom