• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Bandini

you guys think that's cringy, but Bayley's thing is alright? this is beyond me

the demon crawl thing was pure cringe i'm glad this shit is done, his entrance is nothing but awesome right now

Bayley feels like a real person with real feelings and emotions. Finn feels like he's trying to be something he's not. Look how cool I am guys, behold my abs and leather jacket! I'm a scary demon! Whatever.

imBask

Banned
Bayley feels like a real person with real feelings and emotions. Finn feels like he's trying to be something he's not. Look how cool I am guys, behold my abs and leather jacket! I'm a scary demon! Whatever.

but he IS a cool dude with abs and leather jacket. What do you think he is?

the demon thing is incredibly dumb

Asukana Wowed me. In looks, charisma, and ability. Of course her opponent worked very well with her.

I stopped watching right before the last two matches. Will finish tonight.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't sell Balor short, his Cunt Tactics are really good and worked on me, and WORKED me for over a year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We got some jaded dudes up in here. You guys make me think of this sometimes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C2QrWzsfghA

wkCPqWF.jpg

In British wrestling during the 30's pro-wrestling was deemed too violent because of blood and weapon use and was actually banned for a while, so a set of rules were devised to allow pro-wrestling to operate - one of the big rules was no closed fists, so a competitor couldn't be cut open the hard way. Similarly, elbows were not allowed and that led to the creation of the European uppercut as an alternative. In the world of wrestling today pretty much everywhere except for WWE recognises the closed fist rule, use of which will result in a warning or a disqualification at the referees discretion. Ignoring the rule certainly renders chops and European uppercuts pointless when you could just punch or elbow or knee your way to victory, but not only that it eliminates so many avenues for character work. The aforementioned Minoru Suzuki closed fist got such a great reaction, because it was a desperation move from Suzuki and a sign of how angry he was. I watched an old British match from the 70's with a bloke called Terry Rudge who was a goddamn expert at manipulating his opponent's position to disguise the use of closed fists from the referees view.

Savitar

For Superstars, Cesaro pinned Rose with a 36 rep giant swing and the sharpshooter. Rose came out and said that this must be the lowest point of Cesaro’s career, because he’s wrestling Adam Rose on Superstars. Unreal he actually said that. Prime Time Players beat The Ascension when O’Neil got the pin.

Get over, get punished.

imBask

Banned
I just need to see more of a character out of him than "Look at me!" I'd probably like him a lot more as a heel, I dunno

we can agree on that, I really want heel Balor to tell me all about his sweet abs and his new leather jacket

tell me i'll never get abs like these Finn, just do it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In British wrestling during the 30's pro-wrestling was deemed too violent because of blood and weapon use and was actually banned for a while, so a set of rules were devised to allow pro-wrestling to operate - one of the big rules was no closed fists, so a competitor couldn't be cut open the hard way. Similarly, elbows were not allowed and that led to the creation of the European uppercut as an alternative. In the world of wrestling today pretty much everywhere except for WWE recognises the closed fist rule, use of which will result in a warning or a disqualification at the referees discretion. Ignoring the rule certainly renders chops and European uppercuts pointless when you could just punch or elbow or knee your way to victory, but not only that it eliminates so many avenues for character work. The aforementioned Minoru Suzuki closed fist got such a great reaction, because it was a desperation move from Suzuki and a sign of how angry he was. I watched an old British match from the 70's with a bloke called Terry Rudge who was a goddamn expert at manipulating his opponent's position to disguise the use of closed fists from the referees view.

At this point, I don't even look at strikes, so seeing that reaction to Suzuki's closed fist didn't resonate with me like it did the crowd. It sucks how numb I am to those.

Cagey

Banned
we can agree on that, I really want heel Balor to tell me all about his sweet abs and his new leather jacket

tell me i'll never get abs like these Finn, just do it

90% of the time I watch a Finn Balor match, I'm just 'mirin his aesthetics brah.

I'm not lying.

Bryan gets cleared, works a series of matches against Chad Gable.

Make it happen, Hunter.

If not, Timothy Thatcher against Gable.

Make it happen, Gabe and Hunter.

Balor had agreed to give Joe a title shot, but Regal announces a NXT Championship number 1 contendership battle royal next week. Joe loses the battle royal and goes nuts. There's a slightly cleaner heel turn for Joe, though I wish Balor would turn heel instead.

Teeth

Wrestling does demand a certain suspension of disbelief and everyone's ability to do so varies.

The BJW match looked awesome, sounded awesome, had great spots, displayed impressive strength and coordination from two big guys and told a simple story of who is the tougher man. I wasn't coming away thinking "Pfft those guys aren't tough and also they are idiots, why wouldn't they just punch each other instead of chops". Because the chops had enough of a visual and auditory impact to appear to be painful enough to warrant a significant amount of selling for that move.

Pentagon Jr. has made his chops a huge, integral part of his offense by way of asking for silence and then just chopping the fuck out of the guy. My first thought after seeing that was "Holy shit, that sounded and looked painful" not "Chops do no damage in reality, why would you ever do that".

I mean if you take that to the logical extreme then near every single submission hold on the go in wrestling now has to be thrown out because the way they are applied does not match up with how you would do an actual rear naked choke or a hammer lock or an armbar in the UFC.

An impressive match with good spots and coordination is something I would never turn my nose up at. Someone playing up the theatricality of chops is fine to me too.

I'm all for the suspension of disbelief thing; I'm the one asking for punches, forearms and elbows to replace chops, all of which have to be 100% fake or they could kill someone. It's the meta-meta doublethink that bothers me about chops. They're fake, but they're real, but they're fake, but they're real. Punches are all fake, but they fit with the fiction.

I disagree on the submissions, I think they fall perfectly into the same category as fake punches. You do them in a way that looks good, but doesn't cause any real damage. Becky's arm bar is actually a nice pectoral stretch, but it looks like it's tearing the rotator cuff of her opponent. On the other hand, Big E's abdominal stretch may actually hurt like hell (I have no idea), but it looks like something I'd get at my physiotherapist's office after too much running, so it seems meh to me.

Something like Bryan's (or whatever Japanese wrestler he lifted it from) surf board is completely ridiculous in "reality", but it looks super cool so it's totally fine in my books.

I'll take watching a Code Red over a judo hip toss in a fake fight any day, even though the latter is "real" because the former looks cooler and I know the whole thing is fake. Chops just exist in this quasi-reality where we're cheering the actual pain, not the move itself, when the rest of the fight is about reducing the actual pain.

Ithil

I'm not totally convinced that Izzy or whatevs isn't a paid actor. Who's jaded now?!

And yeah, Sasha doing heel work was great. Both of her falls were due to excellent heelin'. Loved it.

She isn't. She's just a fan that's at all the Florida shows that WWE (and the crowd) noticed after a while.

I actually genuinely want Balor to feud with Jericho so he can do a bit where he wears a light-up jacket to mock Jericho, but then just starts wearing it all the time.

Also, Balor's theme is good, but I miss his Real Rock n Rolla theme. So boss.

Edit: I think JJ is like 6 feet+.

klonere

Banned
An impressive match with good spots and coordination is something I would never turn my nose up at. Someone playing up the theatricality of chops is fine to me too.

I'm all for the suspension of disbelief thing; I'm the one asking for punches, forearms and elbows to replace chops, all of which have to be 100% fake or they could kill someone. It's the meta-meta doublethink that bothers me about chops. They're fake, but they're real, but they're fake, but they're real. Punches are all fake, but they fit with the fiction.

I disagree on the submissions, I think they fall perfectly into the same category as fake punches. You do them in a way that looks good, but doesn't cause any real damage. Becky's arm bar is actually a nice pectoral stretch, but it looks like it's tearing the rotator cuff of her opponent. On the other hand, Big E's abdominal stretch may actually hurt like hell (I have no idea), but it looks like something I'd get at my physiotherapist's office after too much running, so it seems meh to me.

Something like Bryan's (or whatever Japanese wrestler he lifted it from) surf board is completely ridiculous in "reality", but it looks super cool so it's totally fine in my books.

I'll take watching a Code Red over a judo hip toss in a fake fight any day, even though the latter is "real" because the former looks cooler and I know the whole thing is fake. Chops just exist in this quasi-reality where we're cheering the actual pain, not the move itself, when the rest of the fight is about reducing the actual pain.

You see to me a Code Red just screams THIS IS FAKE BULLSHIT because dear god that move is dumb as hell. Like when Cena does it I just look and go "....what was that?". Takes me out of a match.

tumblr_ngp0da48pV1rwax6fo1_500.gif

Teeth

You see to me a Code Red just screams THIS IS FAKE BULLSHIT because dear god that move is dumb as hell. Like when Cena does it I just look and go "....what was that?". Takes me out of a match.

I'm at the point where everything is fake bullshit, so I need something that takes extreme coordination or athleticism to entertain me. It's all Cirque du Soliel to me, so it might as well be fantastical, impressive Cirque.

Like, every move necessitates ridiculous crap, aside from the strikes. All the kicks look like ass where a dude lifts his leg and the other guy runs into his foot. The chops are a joke. The punches look like baby tussles (except when Roman throws a Superman Punch, but because of the way it's done, he has to miss by a mile, so it's a catch 22). Everyone watches victims brace an arm on a vertical suplex. Purposely step up to the top rope and jump to take a super slam. Fucking IRISH WHIP WHICH MAKES NO SENSE.

Might as well make it a fantastic dance. It's already 95% of the way there.

EDIT:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why not just have Brock straight up ground and pound somebody for real? He could probably dislocate their jaw. We'd all be cheering, right? I mean, if you think this gif is cool, you'd probably love that.

Kornflayx

Bayley came off like a superstar last night. If she's brought up with a plan, she'll big huge. She'll be the female John Cena for the make a wish kids

Dion314

Neo Member
JJ's not that big, is he?

According to wiki, he's billed at 6'3" 245...so he's probably not too far off from that. He just looks huge next to Gable because he's so short.

He's got a great look that supports his gimmick..and he's explosive (hate to use that word but it's true for him).he just needs personality. Gable is the star of that show but he could do well to play serious pure wrestler to Gable's goofy side.

Ithil

Charles Robinson is also a great ref. Especially as he always whips his hair back on his "Oh shit" reactions to big moves.

Top Bottom