• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Aiii

So not worth it
I dunno about that

Well, shit.

Wrestling is fun, no need to get super serious about it. I honestly found a lot of people caught feelings because not everyone likes their faves. Let it be YOUR fave. Enjoy it. Shit, I liked IRS. Still do. Don't give a fuuuuck.

Practice what you preach, though, Vince. Let's be honest now, you've caught plenty of feelings when people are negative about a certain old man in charge of a certain major wrestling promotion. :D

bjork

Aii, Becky Lynch is legit better at wrestling than Bayley is. She just doesn't have a solid character like Bayley.

I don't remember who said it but they were right. More actual wrestling discussion happens in OT threads than here lately due to gimmick posters frequently showing up here and trolling around

This is getting thrown around a lot, but why do you guys dance around names? Call people out on it. I feel like people have their patterns of things they're known for, but I don't know what other level this could be on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Practice what you preach, though, Vince. Let's be honest now, you've caught plenty of feelings when people are negative about a certain old man in charge of a certain major wrestling promotion. :D

Well, that's because he doesn't deserve the vitriol.

I will say without a doubt that without Vince, things get worse on every level.

bjork

Well, that's because he doesn't deserve the vitriol.

I will say without a doubt that without Vince, things get worse on every level.

There's no verifiable way to tell, though. Has there ever been a stretch where two raws in a row didn't have his hands all over it? I could be mistaken but I don't ever recall the man taking any time off.

Ithil

This is getting thrown around a lot, but why do you guys dance around names? Call people out on it. I feel like people have their patterns of things they're known for, but I don't know what other level this could be on.

Because the automatic reaction will be "but I'm not a gimmick poster!" while they prepare their repo man outfit and ready a catchphrase because they want to play wrestler while posting on a forum.

However, people call dream a gimmick to his face. He just carries on with his tiresome shtick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ignore people you want to pretend are gimmick posters, watch your life improve

I promise, it works.

imBask

Banned
"I disagree with this guy so he's a gimmick poster"

running away from what you don't like won't improve your life though

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I always figure why improve my life when I can make others' shittier? It's a selfless act.

bjork

Ignore people you want to pretend are gimmick posters, watch your life improve

I promise, it works.

I don't ignore anyone here, but I'm asking what the term means so I know what is being referred to. If it means paraphrasing some promo, probably everyone here has done that. I know gimmick posters like "goodcow is the amazon guy, gaborn was the horrifying news guy" but here I only really see people's preferences, unless something's really flying over my head. Which it might be.

No, it's pretty clear a lot of posters in here are more concerned with being a character than just being a dude who likes wrestling

Heel, dream, stro, Gonzalez, etc etc etc etc etc

Forkball

Are people really mad Balor and Joe won the tag tourney? It's not like it was for the belt. It was basically the Andre the Giant Battle Royal but with slightly less prestige. We got to see some interesting match ups. Did people really want to see Blake and Murphy vs. The Vaudvillains in the finals?

AsuKana's debut match was everything... just everything.

Ithil

Hey people I don't like Bayley
Did you hear me I don't like Bayley
Bayley's stupid
Bayley is someone I don't like
I don't like her everyone.
I have to tell you how much I don't like Bayley.

I can't imagine any reason you keep saying this over and over other than to provoke a reaction. I'm not calling you a gimmick here but you have definitely made a thing of this.

imBask

Banned
Hey people I don't like Bayley
Did you hear me I don't like Bayley
Bayley's stupid
Bayley is someone I don't like
I don't like her everyone.
I have to tell you how much I don't like Bayley.

I can't imagine any reason you keep saying this over and over other than to provoke a reaction.

maybe because I actually don't like her? why would anyone talk about anything then

klonere

Banned
Becky left too soon. She did not have much of a character though she was forming one to the lead up in Sasha/Becky in Takeover. Had nice rants about her background and than had the nice rant off with Sasha at the contract signing. The 'divas revolution' was a swing and a miss due to plugging a circular hole with a square peg. Too much focus on too many characters instead of just one. She have just brought up Charlotte only, have her back up Paige due to that story line of Paige getting bullied, have Charlotte slowly beat up her competition... maybe even have squash matches on RAW, eventually she beats Nikki and then the next few months there's a "respect" angle with Paige and Charlotte. They have their rants together and eventually it leads to a good little match on a PPV where Charlotte is ultimately victorious. During that time Becky is perfecting her character in NXT and finding who she is, because as a wrestler and how crisp she is doing moves in the ring, she's great. Her character not so much. So now she may get lost in the shuffle in the main roster since there's no patience and everything has to be scripted. Poor girl has to probably promote her crappy 'LASS KICKER' t-shirt, maybe call her challenger something corny like 'Come here so you can get a LASS KICKING, eh?', never stare at the camera because we are supposedly filming movies here, throw off a 'WWE brand' statement here or there... and hardly get over with the fans. Becky is gonna have an uphill struggle but hopefully she makes it through like Paige did.

This is pretty much it. Becky was always between gimmicks in NXT, from that *shudder* Irish dancing thing, to the heel Becky with Sasha to the steampunk stuff...She was only just breaking out on her own and turning face during and after the Sasha match. If she had gotten the chance to stick around for another special in NXT she really could have nailed something great down.

And then she just got thrown in the main roster blender. Hopefully she gets an Emma redemption run in NXT in a while because she has nothing, less than nothing right now. A properly fleshed out Becky vs Asuka can definitely match Bayley Sasha, I believe it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Are people really mad Balor and Joe won the tag tourney? It's not like it was for the belt. It was basically the Andre the Giant Battle Royal but with slightly less prestige. We got to see some interesting match ups. Did people really want to see Blake and Murphy vs. The Vaudvillains in the finals?

I think you misunderstand them. They aren't mad that Balor and Joe won, they just thought it would have made more sense to use the tournament to put over a tag-team and prepare them for a push in the tag-division. Balor is already NXT champ and Joe has his reputation, so they don't really benefit from the win as much, esp. since they're singles wrestlers.

bjork

I can't imagine any reason you keep saying this over and over other than to provoke a reaction. I'm not calling you a gimmick here but you have definitely made a thing of this.

He could just legitimately not like her and want to represent the other side. That's how I see Goldberg, and about 90% of the people here refer to Warrior/Nash/Bret/whoever we're beating on this week.

Ithil

He could just legitimately not like her and want to represent the other side. That's how I see Goldberg, and about 90% of the people here refer to Warrior/Nash/Bret/whoever we're beating on this week.

I don't doubt he doesn't like her. But do you constantly remind us that you don't like Goldberg?

imBask

Banned
I don't doubt he doesn't like her. But do you constantly remind us that you don't like Goldberg?

but I don't like her lol, she's a decent wrestler but her character is atrocious and I can't stand her

and Goldberg isn't on TV every week, Bayley is, so I talk about Bayley

bjork

Only when someone brings him up as some miracle to wrestling or is the key in their fantasy booking. Or if we're discussing the era.

Fox318

I think Jordan/Gable and other teams have greatly benefited from the tournament even if they didn't win.

Yup.

Plus the non-carny ending where everything felt real meant that the next time they have a Dusty Tag it will feel important.

Having stakes and having heights to climb or defend is what wrasslin is about.

imBask

Banned
I mean I could talk about how much I haaaaaaaated Rey Mysterio, but what's the point he's in some promotion I don't care about and that's fine

klonere

Banned

I'm not furious or anything, it was still a fine ending to it and they still got the other two tags over as stars in the process but the accolade does less than nothing for Finn & Joe. It'd be a great, easy way to book a feud with the Vaudevillians if either of the actual teams won it.

Although The Mechanics are probably going to get a title match out of it seeing as they did beat the champs.

Zach

I dunno about that

Well, shit.

Wrestling is fun, no need to get super serious about it. I honestly found a lot of people caught feelings because not everyone likes their faves. Let it be YOUR fave. Enjoy it. Shit, I liked IRS. Still do. Don't give a fuuuuck.

IRS was terrible, you garbage pail.

Tanahashi new podcast out

@reasonjp: Taguchi: 'I think the company would say no (to us teaming)'. Tana: 'the company does everything I say!' #podcastoff

@reasonjp: Tana on the three man vice grip on IWGP title: 'Nakamura isn't in that loop, and there's nobody on the level of us four. It can't be helped'

@reasonjp: Tana puts over Will Ospreay: 'he's the British Ibushi' @WillOspreay #podcastoff

@reasonjp: Talk about how the crop of foreign juniors is a good thing for BOSJ next year. Tana again floats Ospreay as someone in that mix #podcastoff

@reasonjp: Tana, On Yoshi Hashi v Honma: 'this is the company giving Yoshi Hashi a huge chance' #podcastoff

Really cool that he put over Osprey. Dude is going to be big next year. Would not surprise to see him in NJPW or NXT next year.

More here

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/652121865406648320

Aiii

So not worth it
Yup.

Plus the non-carny ending where everything felt real meant that the next time they have a Dusty Tag it will feel important.

Having stakes and having heights to climb or defend is what wrasslin is about.

Having the Dusty Classic not end with a Dusty finish was a mistake, actually.

Zach

Sounds like someone is asking for an audit. I liked IRS except for in the couple of games he was in. His move was hard to do right.

Repo was far superior in a somewhat similar gimmick. And right now I'm having to deal with this in my chronological viewings:

tumblr_n7a4dgrwIW1sg99p0o1_1280.png

Kill me.

bjork

Repo was far superior in a somewhat similar gimmick.

Repo took Macho Man's hat and got worked, then Macho's hat was fine.

IRS took that tax cheat Tatanka's headdress and ripped it up in front of him, then beat his ass iirc. The IRS doesn't play.

It's great to see Tanahashi putting Ospreay over, would be amazing to have him in the BoSJ next year - crazy that he hasn't even been wrestling four years yet, but his résumé already includes matches against some of the top names in the business. Hope he kills it in 2016.

MJTKa8L.gif

4EWAerq.gif

iuXvUp8.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How big is Ospreay really? It's hard to tell. And I guess I can fuckin google.

Ouch, 5'8. Japan is where he needs to be. Hell of a talent, I love his work.

Zach

Zach what's your beef with VK Wallstreet

I actually kind of like how cheesy the man's whole career has been, how he's looked like a dad, but not in the good Arn Anderson way. Like, I find it impressive that he had a job longer than the Rapmaster P.N. News.

That being said, he is sooooo boring in the ring. I don't think I've ever seen him in a good match. Well... maybe when he was Mike Rotundo or whatever in a tag facing the Steiners or something, but he had nothing to do with it being enjoyable, that's for sure.

Top Bottom