• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Fox318

If it wasn't for Vince(6'2") and HHH (6'4")being relatively tall would height really that big of a deal?

I mean if a guy has the look, the in ring ability, or the charisma isn't that what matters?

Does height excursively really draw a televised product?

imBask

Banned
If it wasn't for Vince(6'2") and HHH (6'4")being relatively tall would height really that big of a deal?

I mean if a guy has the look, the in ring ability, or the charisma isn't that what matters?

Vince is the only reason height is that big of a deal

inb4 angry Vince McMahon post

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't still have so many staff that dwarf shorter dudes, that's all. As time goes on, it'll even out more.

Zach

Nah, but the sight of, say, Kevin Owens next to Randy Orton immediately makes for an uphill battle.

Cagey

Banned

Height is part of a wrestler's look. Neville is jacked beyond belief but standing next to Randy Orton, he looks like a pocket-sized wellness violation.

Why do you think Fast and Furious carefully filmed the fight scenes with Vin Diesel and The Rock to make them appear similarly sized? Vin ain't built to Rocky's scale.

bjork

if he loves them, it is overlooked. HBK isn't super tall.

Ithil

HHH ain't 6'4, and he filled his own show with people under six feet. I think people being muscular/ripped matters more to him than height (KO aside).

Forkball

A lot of "faces of the company" were pretty tall. Hogan was like 6'6", Austin 6'2", Rock 6'4". Michaels and Bret were short, but WWE was getting their ass beat when they were on top. COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT.

Cena is only like 6', but he looks like a human rectangle so that makes up for it.

Ithil

I'll take a guess and say Joe doesn't win the battle royal, and turns because he's pissed he missed out on the shot Finn promised him.

Fox318

Maybe I'm just looking at height being something you can't change. I honestly have no problems with the Kevin Owens look because he is the only on on the roster like that and he is a ring general. I just wish he (and everyone else) on the roster didn't wear a shirt/street clothes. Wrestlers or at least those in title pictures should dress like wrestlers.

The dumbest is that fucking shield vest. It was a heel thing for D-LO and even bossman but on a face its fucking stupid.

Imagine if one MMA fighter or Greco-Roman wrestler started wearing a football helmet and others didn't.

Plus that shit takes chops out of a persons arsenal.

bjork

I don't mind a dude wearing a shirt or being short, to me it's all about a guy owning what he has. Some dudes exude a certain confidence and that's what sells a guy to me. So you can be smaller physically and still have a solid look.

I don't mind a dude wearing a shirt or being short, to me it's all about a guy owning what he has. Some dudes exude a certain confidence and that's what sells a guy to me. So you can be smaller physically and still have a solid look.

that's fine, but when a guy claims he's the biggest and baddest dude around has to go up against another guy who says the same thing and he's also bigger and badder, then it makes him look like shit.

there's a niche for everyone, but play up to your strengths. you were a big fish in a small pond, but now you're just a guppy telling sharks you can hang with them.

Ithil

Punches in US wrestling are nothing, they're the equal of walking or blinking or something. Which is all kinda silly. Punches hurt in real life, they knock people out in real life.

I remember Minoru Suzuki getting a huge gasp of a reaction for resorting to a closed fist punch after getting angry near the end of his G1 match with AJ.

bjork

that's fine, but when a guy claims he's the biggest and baddest dude around has to go up against another guy who says the same thing and he's also bigger and badder, then it makes him look like shit.

there's a niche for everyone, but play up to your strengths. you were a big fish in a small pond, but now you're just a guppy telling sharks you can hang with them.

That depends on the angle, doesn't it? On one hand you've got Crash Holly getting clowned, and on the other you've got Benoit going over bigger dudes. It doesn't always work, but it potentially can.

I should start taking advantage of my NJPW World sub. I've only now gotten into February when you go into the 'series' link. This January 30 show that I finished watching a while back came into my mind just now because one of the Young Bucks were in the outside ranting to a fan: "Yeah, suck it! Like DX!" I found that really funny.

I haven't really taken advantage of NJPW World since the G1, when I fell too far behind to keep up even after skipping the undercard tag matches.

Teeth

Punches in US wrestling are nothing, they're the equal of walking or blinking or something. Which is all kinda silly. Punches hurt in real life, they knock people out in real life.

I remember Minoru Suzuki getting a huge gasp of a reaction for resorting to a closed fist punch after getting angry near the end of his G1 match with AJ.

That's the weird thing about wrestling, right?

You've got chops, which actually hurt people done wrestling style, but it's all surface damage. So everyone cheers because they get a big sound, but they also know that it's actually hurting the guy, but it's fake, and there's no actual damage being done.

With a punch, it's more like a pile driver: zero damage to the guy taking it, but would seriously hurt/kill a person if actually done. So it's all storyline damage.

So on one hand, people are cheering a move that in-real-life would never actually be done because it wouldn't be damaging enough to be done in a real fight, but it actually causes pain to guys doing a fake fight. But everyone rolls their eyes at a move that would actually be good to use in a real fight because it doesn't cause real pain to guys in a fake fight.

It's the stupidest fucking thing in the world. Everyone knows the fighting is fake, but they want to see the guys feel real pain, but it has to be all surface level, because if it causes real damage (like a real fight) that's real bad too. Then it's backyard wrestling, carny bullshit.

Nothing makes any sense.

EDIT: the above videos: that's exactly 100% what I'm talking about. That huge Bully Ray chop - would hurt in real life, but nothing like a full force punch to the face. So we all pop for the real pain the guy is feeling, but we also know that if Ray punched him full force in the face, unprotected, he could cause actual brain damage. Whereas, with a slam, Ray could legit power bomb someone in real life and actually kill them, and we pop for a power bomb because it's a fake move that looks like it could kill someone. Nothing makes any sense.

klonere

Banned
That's the weird thing about wrestling, right?

You've got chops, which actually hurt people done wrestling style, but it's all surface damage. So everyone cheers because they get a big sound, but they also know that it's actually hurting the guy, but it's fake, and there's no actual damage being done.

With a punch, it's more like a pile driver: zero damage to the guy taking it, but would seriously hurt/kill a person if actually done. So it's all storyline damage.

So on one hand, people are cheering a move that in-real-life would never actually be done because it wouldn't be damaging enough to be done in a real fight, but it actually causes pain to guys doing a fake fight. But everyone rolls their eyes at a move that would actually be good to use in a real fight because it doesn't cause real pain to guys in a fake fight.

It's the stupidest fucking thing in the world. Everyone knows the fighting is fake, but they want to see the guys feel real pain, but it has to be all surface level, because if it causes real damage (like a real fight) that's real bad too. Then it's backyard wrestling, carny bullshit.

Nothing makes any sense.

EDIT: the above videos: that's exactly 100% what I'm talking about. That huge Bully Ray chop - would hurt in real life, but nothing like a full force punch to the face. So we all pop for the real pain the guy is feeling, but we also know that if Ray punched him full force in the face, unprotected, he could cause actual brain damage. Whereas, with a slam, Ray could legit power bomb someone in real life and actually kill them, and we pop for a power bomb because it's a fake move that looks like it could kill someone. Nothing makes any sense.

wait a second are you implying that wrestling is fake

Ithil

Now that the Women's title has main evented a Takeover, would you like to see a build for the Tag Titles to main event one eventually?
I've always thought the tag titles should be right up just behind the World title in importance levels, as the "World tag team champions" instead of this lower card thing.

I really enjoyed the NXT show last night; I wrote 2000+ words about them elsewhere, but I'll keep it brief for WrassleGAF.

-Corey Graves was very good throughout the show. He helped tell the matches' stories and the wrestlers' emotions, and he actually added value to the show. Brennan and Saxton were mostly inoffensive.

-There's something about Joe's strikes that seem soft to me, and I can't figure out what it is. Even during the opener, his first strike sequence in the corner didn't look as stiff as you'd think a man of his size and power would be capable of delivering. I don't remember them being this soft in his ROH matches back in 2005-2007.

-Dawson and Wilder are very good hands for the tag team scene. They're not stars like Gable and Jordan, but they'll be a fine mid-tier heel team.

-Gable and Jordan were awesome. Gable's deadlift Chaos Theory suplex was great, but Gable and Jordan's double team German suplex out of the corner was also very impressive.

-Gable was incredibly over, but Jordan looked great too. When he pulled his straps down on his singlet, the match kicked into high gear. That little moment of pulling down the straps worked for Angle, and it works for Jordan.

-I can't believe Rhyno tried a diving headbutt and took a Muscle Buster.

-There's a cognitive dissonance in the commentators telling me how impressive Corbin's strength is when his feats of strength are against Chad Gable, who is relatively tiny.

-Asuka looked awesome, but credit has to go to Dana Brooke for playing her part in making Asuka look so good.

-There's something not clicking with Apollo Crews. I come away from his matches feeling like they take a little too long for someone with his size and athleticism. I wish they had started with more squashes rather than the back-and-forth matches he's had so far.

-I'm glad they didn't package any storyline into the finals. They established the tournament's legitimacy with its purer sports build, and now it can be an annual part of NXT's calendar. And they can inject storyline into the tournament next time.

-Cody's speech was touching; the trophy presentation and the flower presentation after the women's championship match made both feel special.

-Banks vs. Bayley wasn't as good as the Brooklyn match. It was a little sloppier, and it didn't reach the emotional peak simply because it was the rematch. But Bayley turning up her aggression is a good sign, and Banks's heel work with Izzy was magnificent.

This was probably the most evenly good TakeOver show yet; not a match could be ranked below good. It's too bad we won't get Asuka vs. Banks, Lynch, or Charlotte or Athena vs. Banks, Lynch, or Charlotte, but you can't get everything. There wasn't much left for Banks and Charlotte to do in NXT, though Lynch could have used more time in NXT to develop her character.

Teeth

wait a second are you implying that wrestling is fake

All I'm sayin', and this is just my own opinion, is that since everyone knows wrestling is fake, I prefer to watch it as a fake fight with cool impossible moves. Play up storyline damage and use feats of strength/dexterity/athleticism to impress me.

Watching two giant dudes chop each other in the middle of a ring to show how much real pain they can take in a fake fight is like watching a Youtube video of teenagers have face slap contests.

klonere

Banned
Now that the Women's title has main evented a Takeover, would you like to see a build for the Tag Titles to main event one eventually?
I've always thought the tag titles should be right up just behind the World title in importance levels, as the "World tag team champions" instead of this lower card thing.

I think they now have the teams to do. JJ and Gable definitely have the capacity to be a part of a main event, whether or not they can put together a feud that justifies a main event is another question.

Honestly I'd like them to do a women's tag match tourny or belt just so they can show the main roster how to do female teams.

Ithil

tumblr_nvvlpu2luQ1saykaxo1_400.gif

klonere

Banned
All I'm sayin', and this is just my own opinion, is that since everyone knows wrestling is fake, I prefer to watch it as a fake fight with cool impossible moves. Play up storyline damage and use feats of strength/dexterity/athleticism to impress me.

Watching two giant dudes chop each other in the middle of a ring to show how much real pain they can take in a fake fight is like watching a Youtube video of teenagers have face slap contests.

Well different strokes for different folks. I watched a BJW world title match which was two huge Japanese dudes stiffing the ever loving shit out of each other and it was AMAZING.

I think you misunderstand them. They aren't mad that Balor and Joe won, they just thought it would have made more sense to use the tournament to put over a tag-team and prepare them for a push in the tag-division. Balor is already NXT champ and Joe has his reputation, so they don't really benefit from the win as much, esp. since they're singles wrestlers.

Sometimes the better team wins. They are seasoned why the hell would a rookie team beat such seasoned vets, and one is your world champ.

You guys and Im not singling anyone out, but far too often everything has to be a put over.
I don't think it does. Sometimes The better team/man/woman wins.

Okada vs Ospreay was a ton of fun, unsurprisingly;

Izx0rpZ.gif

Okada busted out a lot of his lucha shit in this one, which is always cool to see. Nakamura vs Scurll was awesome as well, probably the toughest opponent yet for Nakamura in the UK.

Teeth

Well different strokes for different folks. I watched a BJW world title match which was two huge Japanese dudes stiffing the ever loving shit out of each other and it was AMAZING.

I guess my question would be...why?

You don't actually know if they are hitting hard or not. They are professionals at making things look like they hurt when they actually (comparatively) don't.

Like, a chest slap that makes a huge noise actually does less real world damage than one that doesn't (as a bunch of the force energy gets converted into sound). A lot of it is just in the way you hold your hand when it hits.

So you're watching two dudes use the weakest type of strike in real life to prove how much pain they can take, though no one really knows (except the people taking and giving it) whether they actually hurt or not. And even at their ABSOLUTE WORST, they are never going to cause any more damage than skin deep. In real life or fiction.

So we all nod sagely about how awesome it is that these guys are showing how tough they are taking slaps that make their skin burn and break out in welts, but if they were in the center of the ring punching each other in the face for real, back and forth, mangling their faces, it would be sickening. Because we don't actually want to see pain (unless you like watching a weed wacker to the gut, Mondo syle).

EDIT: I feel like chops are a vestigial organ of pro-graps' time when they sold it as real. It was a "sport" then, with rules. No closed hand strikes. With that rule, they needed something for the lumbering tubs to do between hip tosses and clotheslines. I don't know if the rule was created to make chops seem less ludicrous or if the chops were created to work around the rule, regardless, that time is over and everyone and their dog does full fiction punches now. It's time to retire the chop aside from a nod to Flair.

imBask

Banned
The thing where he spreads his arms to the song? So dorky. I cringe every time.

you guys think that's cringy, but Bayley's thing is alright? this is beyond me

the demon crawl thing was pure cringe i'm glad this shit is done, his entrance is nothing but awesome right now

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How wild would Blade Runner have been if Sid was Roy Batty?

Kornflayx

Jordan & Gable? Perfect. Great music, great matwrestling and Jordan is fucking awesome. That spinning out of the Hip Toss, didn't expect that.

How tall is Gable, he seems very small, which is so unfortunate

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
DR TYRELL, YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO, THAT I HAVE HALF THE LIFESPAN YOU DO

imBask

Banned
Demon crawl isn't going anywhere, unfortunateky.You just know Vinny Mac is licking his chops at the number of action figures/toys/video games, that look will contribute to.

yeaaaah you're probably right, but I like to ignore the idea that Finn is ever getting called up, it makes me feel a little better inside

Ithil

Jordan & Gable? Perfect. Great music, great matwrestling and Jordan is fucking awesome. That spinning out of the Hip Toss, didn't expect that.

I think he's about 5'7 or so.

klonere

Banned
I guess my question would be...why?

You don't actually know if they are hitting hard or not. They are professionals at making things look like they hurt when they actually (comparatively) don't.

Like, a chest slap that makes a huge noise actually does less real world damage than one that doesn't (as a bunch of the force energy gets converted into sound). A lot of it is just in the way you hold your hand when it hits.

So you're watching two dudes use the weakest type of strike in real life to prove how much pain they can take, though no one really knows (except the people taking and giving it) whether they actually hurt or not. And even at their ABSOLUTE WORST, they are never going to cause any more damage than skin deep. In real life or fiction.

So we all nod sagely about how awesome it is that these guys are showing how tough they are taking slaps that make their skin burn and break out in welts, but if they were in the center of the ring punching each other in the face for real, back and forth, mangling their faces, it would be sickening. Because we don't actually want to see pain (unless you like watching a weed wacker to the gut, Mondo syle).

EDIT: I feel like chops are a vestigial organ of pro-graps' time when they sold it as real. It was a "sport" then, with rules. No closed hand strikes. With that rule, they needed something for the lumbering tubs to do between hip tosses and clotheslines. I don't know if the rule was created to make chops seem less ludicrous or if the chops were created to work around the rule, regardless, that time is over and everyone and their dog does full fiction punches now. It's time to retire the chop aside from a nod to Flair.

Wrestling does demand a certain suspension of disbelief and everyone's ability to do so varies.

The BJW match looked awesome, sounded awesome, had great spots, displayed impressive strength and coordination from two big guys and told a simple story of who is the tougher man. I wasn't coming away thinking "Pfft those guys aren't tough and also they are idiots, why wouldn't they just punch each other instead of chops". Because the chops had enough of a visual and auditory impact to appear to be painful enough to warrant a significant amount of selling for that move.

Pentagon Jr. has made his chops a huge, integral part of his offense by way of asking for silence and then just chopping the fuck out of the guy. My first thought after seeing that was "Holy shit, that sounded and looked painful" not "Chops do no damage in reality, why would you ever do that".

I mean if you take that to the logical extreme then near every single submission hold on the go in wrestling now has to be thrown out because the way they are applied does not match up with how you would do an actual rear naked choke or a hammer lock or an armbar in the UFC.

Zach

He looked especially small against Rhyno and Baron. Dude is good enough to overcome, though.

Top Bottom