• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

17djyaF.gif

As expected, in NJPW's Super Junior Tag Tournament, reDRagon beat Tiger Mask and Liger, Roppongi Vice beat Chase Owens and Kenny Omega, Young Bucks beat Taguchi and Mascara Dorada, and Matt Sydal and Ricochet beat Time Splitters.

Semifinals matches are reDRagon vs. Roppongi Vice and Young Bucks vs. Sydal/Ricochet. High potential and expectations for these matches.

In NOAH's Global League, Marufuji is unbeaten in Block A, and Sugiura is second at 3-1. Hero and Tanaka are 3-2, while Kojima is a somewhat disappointing 2-3 with matches against Marufuji and Quiet Storm left. Hero has Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Marufuji left, while Sugiura has Smith, Lance Archer, and Quiet Storm left.

In Block B, Suzuki and Shelton Benjamin are undefeated. Nakamjima is 4-1, and Taniguchi is 3-3. Benjamin has Nakajima, Suzuki, and Kitamiya left, while Suzuki has Cabana, Benjamin, and Iizuka left. Kitamyia hasn't won a single match yet, which is disappointing.

Hex

Banned
It really pisses me off when people say Cole sucks as a commentator.

I will take Cole over King and JBL any day.
I am so tired of both of their plastic soulless crap anymore.
And I swear I seriously have to resist throwing my remote through the screen every time JBL talks about "getting jiggy with it"

imBask

Banned
What do you mean?

Di you guys like thwe PPV last night?

a bulletproof vest doesn't make any sense in the context of a fight, he shouldn't even be able to feel those kendo sticks shots

and it's an unfair advantage, he should get DQ'd every match respect the business god damnit

He's serviceable.

Saxton says nothing of note.

JBL makes me want to fall off my roof into a cactus patch.

I will take Cole over King and JBL any day.
I am so tired of both of their plastic soulless crap anymore.
And I swear I seriously have to resist throwing my remote through the screen every time JBL talks about "getting jiggy with it"
JBL was great until Vince made him tone down.

I just wish Vince would get out of their ear and let them be themselves.

King just doesn't care anymore. He was slightly better last night.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is Grade A shit and I will fight anyone who continues to bash this dude.

Fight!

I can't wait for Owens next angle to be Ambrose fighting him because he's indignant that Owens is mean to his girlfriend.

What? In the thread last night it seemed the majority agreed Bray/Roman was lame as fuck, but now today I'm seeing praise everywhere. I don't get it.
That match was slow and boring. It was like Ric Flair v. Sting in 2015. At least Bray is interesting on the microphone, Reigns is interesting in my toilet.

Nekofrog

Banned
Dan Severn and Blackman gets huge pops. I wish that Blackman came 5 years later than he did. He would've been like Benoit.

everyone gets huge pops back then. you even had side acts like the dudley boyz getting pops as big if not bigger than the main stars, depending on the venue and setup.

it's a side effect of making you care about even the mid card guys

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Roman/Bray match was incredibly methodical by modern standards and the setup for the table spots was actively bad.

I did not like the match; I had no problem with Roman going over in the match.

Zach

So I listened to that Ross Report with Lance Russell. Dude's 90 and still coherent. Seems like a very nice, interesting man. Anyway, what I'm getting at is this: Imagine Vince McMahon at 90 and still in charge of WWE. That's 20 years from now.

Abandon ship while you're still young, friends. Abandon ship.

DMczaf

So I listened to that Ross Report with Lance Russell. Dude's 90 and still coherent. Seems like a very nice, interesting man. Anyway, what I'm getting at is this: Imagine Vince McMahon at 90 and still in charge of WWE. That's 20 years from now.

It's too late for me. I've been on this ship for 21 years, friend. I will go down with it...

Save yourself.

Ithil

Getting fired looks to have been the best thing to ever happen to Del Rio. He was stuck in a rut going nowhere in WWE, just riding out his contract, then got fired and got a super lucrative year in AAA and indies with all that good press coming from the circumstances of his firing, and now he's back in WWE with probably a way better deal than he had last time and tons more leverage.

Same as if Punk suddenly decided to return he could easily get a dream deal if he wanted it.

everyone gets huge pops back then. you even had side acts like the dudley boyz getting pops as big if not bigger than the main stars, depending on the venue and setup.

it's a side effect of making you care about even the mid card guys
Right, they need to hire people who we know will only be undercard. Make us care about those matches again. The talents today, many of them could be the world champion but they don't get the deserving push. The people that are just okay seem to get it.

They think so much about the main event that they over think it.

Sephzilla

What? In the thread last night it seemed the majority agreed Bray/Roman was lame as fuck, but now today I'm seeing praise everywhere. I don't get it.

Because every other match wasn't as good. Kane/Rollins was boring. Cena/ADR had rest holds 60 seconds into the match. New Day/Dudleys was forgettable, honestly. Owens/Ryback was forgettable.

Bray/Roman gets the match of the night award almost by default. Taker/Brock is the only other match that was truly good.

Anth0ny

Getting fired looks to have been the best thing to ever happen to Del Rio. He was stuck in a rut going nowhere in WWE, just riding out his contract, then got fired and got a super lucrative year in AAA and indies with all that good press coming from the circumstances of his firing, and now he's back in WWE with probably a way better deal than he had last time and tons more leverage.

Same as if Punk suddenly decided to return he could easily get a dream deal if he wanted it.

Punk can easily come back as a part timer.

it would be a great heel move, too. bitch about part timers, leave the company because of part timers, come back as a part timer. poetry.

bjork

I've got 30 years in. Even if it's only hanging by a thread compared to earlier days, I can't fully cut the cord.

You know why Del Rio fucking sucked? They turned him face. Del Rio is only good as a Heel, just like Sheamus. You're not gonna get your Eddie and Rey out of him so continue looking.

Would've been funny if they had Del Rio come back in a luchador mask only to reveal himself later. But with the internet now, it's not even exciting.

Because every other match wasn't as good. Kane/Rollins was boring. Cena/ADR had rest holds 60 seconds into the match. New Day/Dudleys was forgettable, honestly. Owens/Ryback was forgettable.

Bray/Roman gets the match of the night award almost by default. Taker/Brock is the only other match that was truly good.

How was Bray/Roman better than Taker/Brock though? Roman and Bray casually stroll around (in Reigns case, laughing and joking at times) and lay on the mat waiting to go spot to spot. Lesnar simply ground and pounding was more of a moment than anything in that match.

imBask

Banned
How was Bray/Roman better than Taker/Brock though? Roman and Bray casually stroll around (in Reigns case, laughing and joking at times) and lay on the mat waiting to go spot to spot. Lesnar simply ground and pounding was more of a moment than anything in that match.

I guess it's about scope, I expected nothing out of Bray/Reigns and got something, and expected a lot out of Lesnar/Taker and didn't get enough

MG310

I haven't gone back to watch any of it but that feud Del Rio had with Rey was good from what I remember.

The double turn at Payback 2013 was probably my favorite thing he was involved in...just kicking the shit out of post-concussion Dolph Ziggler.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Del Rio was also boring as fuck as a heel though

It amazes me that so many people have forgotten this already. I give it a month before the realization comes creeping back.

As for Bray/Reigns, the pacing was terrible. Increibly boring for 80% of the match, then absolute spotfest during the other 20%. This is what bothers me about wrestling today--the pacing is awful. Comparing it to 80s/90s stuff recently on the Network and the difference is night and day.

Top Bottom