• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

MC Safety

Rusev, Wyatt, Wade Barrett, Nexus, Umaga.

That's a list of names, not proof John Cena destroys careers.

Please explain to me how John Cena has destroyed those particular careers. Because I watched Raw tonight and saw Rusev, Wyatt, Wade Barrett, and some old Nexus members, too.They seem to be doing just fine.

Ziggler
Rusev
Nexus
Bray
Owens

I can keep going

Please do. Make a long list with absolutely no commentary about why you feel these people have had their careers destroyed by John Cena.

Mahonay

Banned
That's a list of names, not proof John Cena destroys careers.

Please explain to me how John Cena has destroyed those particular careers. Because I watched Raw tonight and saw Rusev, Wyatt, Wade Barrett, and some old Nexus members, too.They seem to be doing just fine.

Please do. Make a long list with absolutely no commentary about why you feel these people have had their careers destroyed by John Cena.
Rusev is in a neverending comedy love story angle.

Wyatt is a shadow of his monster-self pre Cena feud.

Wade Barrett is at the bottom of the barrel. Lol.

Out of the Nexus, I guess Ryback is doing fine. It wasn't until recently where Darren Young got over with the Prime Time Players. The rest of them...yeahhh.

John Cena feud booking is one of the reasons modern WWE is one giant midcard. Why build new stars when there's John Cena hand towels to sell to 10 year olds.

The "John Cena DESTROYS CAREERS" thing is stupid as hell if you think about it more than five minutes. Yes, creative often doesn't have a storyline as compelling as the one they had with Cena which can derail them, but that's not John Cena's fault or being in a match with John Cena. It's creative's.

Kevin Owens is doing just fine after a bunch of matches with Cena. Like, even if Bray Wyatt won his matches against Cena he'd still be struggling for a while if they gave him the same storylines.

So I guess I can understand a bit of trepidation when someone you like is about to feud with Cena, but the matches themselves usually do a lot for the person Cena is fighting. WWE is just bad at giving people a bit of time off after that and then bringing them back with something interesting to do.

Also hi, I guess I'm back.

Mahonay

Banned
Writing and shit booking is what buries the roster. Some of Cena's feuds have been prime examples of a company wide problem. It's easy to look at it and focus your frustration on it.

hamchan

I have a feeling that New Day will come out a third time with Kofi and win it. Then Cena can go on break for a while. Or Cena can just win everything and go on break while still holding the belt because he's Cena.

Also I hope Woods suggests to Vince that the trombone needs to go soon. It was enjoyable at the start and now it's tolerable. I would hate to see it run into the ground so badly that I actually begin to dislike it.

Mahonay

Banned
I have a feeling that New Day will come out a third time with Kofi and win it. Then Cena can go on break for a while. Or Cena can just win everything and go on break while still holding the belt because he's Cena.

Also I hope Woods suggests to Vince that the trombone needs to go soon. It was enjoyable at the start and now it's tolerable. I would hate to see it run into the ground so badly that I actually begin to dislike it.
The moment I noticed they started attaching a mic on the trombone I knew they were getting ready to kill it for everyone.

EDIT; Other RAW thoughts;
Seth Rollins/Kane stuff tonight was fucking dreadful.

Susan G Komen month. Kill me.

Stephanie McMahon putting herself over at every possible chance is a real fucking problem.

So many god damn replays tonight.

At least I laughed at the montage Summer made for Rusev

MC Safety

Rusev is in a neverending comedy love story angle.

Wyatt is a shadow of his monster-self pre Cena feud.

Out of the Nexus, I guess Ryback is doing fine. It wasn't until recently where Darren Young got over with the Prime Time Players. The rest of them...yeahhh.

John Cena feud booking is one of the reasons modern WWE is one giant midcard. Why build new stars when there's John Cena hand towels to sell to 10 year olds.

That's not destruction. You may not like the direction their storylines are taking or their placement, but those guys are still working and featured regularly.

Tell me exactly what you would expect of the following wrestlers. I mean, what do you imagine is their ideal arc in the WWE:

1) Rusev
2) Barrett
3) Ziggler
4) The New Day
5) Wyatt

Mahonay

Banned
That's not destruction. You may not like the direction their storylines are taking or their placement, but those guys are still working and featured regularly.

Tell me exactly what you would expect of the following wrestlers. I mean, what do you imagine is their ideal arc in the WWE:

1) Rusev
2) Barrett
3) Ziggler
4) The New Day
5) Wyatt
Because I don't like WWE's feuds I need to create my own detailed program for each wrestler? Not my job to book. I'm allowed to say their shit is subpar.

IMO fantasy booking is a waste of time in respect to WWE. The likes of Barrett, and to a lesser extent Ziggler, have had irreparable damage done to them (I know injuries didn't help either). Their fates are sealed. They are in my rear view mirror for wrestlers I actually care about.

The in-ring action is the only thing I look forward to now.

MC Safety

Because I don't like WWE's feuds I need to create my own detailed program for each wrestler? Not my job to book. I'm allowed to say their shit is subpar.

You claim these guys have been damaged by Cena. I'm just wondering what you expect of them. Should they all have titles? Should they all be shoehorned into main events?

I don't think it's too much to challenge your assertion, especially since it appears here over and over again. If it's honestly held, you should be able to defend it.

Browny

Banned
Remember when Rusev rode in on a tank and wrestled the biggest star in the company at Wrestlemania?

VKM's amnesia kicking in again:

Vince-McMahon-distraught.gif.cf68c3c4088a53d881dd20a9474724de.thumb.gif.e72b65c22f1460c18d393ee62680b280.gif

This is after Cesaro's WM moment too.

My lunchtimes will now be spent watching the recent WLIIA series.

Caderfix

See what happened to Wade Berrett. The booking decided that Cena would overcome 3 nexus members, Cena decided how he would do it and he decided to do it in the worst way possible.

The problem is not Cena winning, is Cena making the oponents look like chump. Which didn't happen to Woods and Big E, so I don't think they'll be buried, but I understand the concern.

Wait....what?

"RINGS official has announced that Akira Maeda will come to NJPW KOPW at Ryogoku Sumo Hall on 10.12!!"

OK then. I assume Riki Choshu won't be in the building that night.

klonere

Banned

1) Rusev
2) Barrett
3) Ziggler
4) The New Day
5) Wyatt

Yes they are working and are still featured in this year of our lord 2015 where everyone is a midcarder.

Let's go!

1) Actually wins at Mania! Turn him and Lana face! Get Lana on Total Divas and play up the American Dream aspect of Rusev (he's got a beautiful American wife and a big ass house, all from being an immigrant who worked hard!). Give him the US Open Challenge as a way to pay back all those who gave him a chance when he arrived in America! He gets a trap remix of his official theme!

2) I hadn't watched a minute of WWE TV when Barrett was at his apex. I didn't éven see the Bad News run when it was getting hot. All I know is that he is an enormous joke and is beaten constantly and is another geeky midcard heel whose matches only end in distraction's or rollups.

3) Fuck the Dolph Ziggler. He still gets pops though. Honestly he's fine where he is. An Owen/Ziggler feud could be fun.

4) IF they do put the belt on Big E at HiaC and IF they truly are going to make them the new Wyatts IF Cena does go away and doesn't get his wins back when he comes back...oh who am I kidding Cena is getting his wins back by the Rumble. I mean I could bitch and moan about the AA outta nowhere into win from last night but I think they are pulling the trigger here on having New Day win. PRAY 4 NEW DAY

5) Bray transitioned from losing to Cena, having one of the scariest and most over stables in recent memory, to having to build an Undertaker feud on his own, beginning the era of the 15 minute Wyatt promo about nothing because what the fuck else are you going to do when you've only got a camera to talk to (unlike for Brock where they actually brought him back....and it made ALL the difference). He then loses for zero good reason despite it making all the sense in the world to win at WM and take over the mantle of the new Taker (imagine if he had beaten Cena and Taker? Absolutely made).

He's now the guy who shows up when WWE aren't ready to give the title to a guy from the Shield, interfering for no good reason in Dean vs Seth, completely derailing a potentially top babyface making feud, interfering for no good reason at MiTB because WWE have no balls and aren't putting the title on Roman now. Randomly reforms the Family because the WWE realize that it was a huge mistake to break them up and utterly failed to do anything with the other guys as singles performers. Him and Roman are having fine matches but the feud has zero zero zero zero stakes because the writers can't fucking write and Wyatt has zero zero zero zero credibility as a heel because he's lost every feud he's been in since his entire stable was destroyed by Big Match John. So he's another midcarder heel. Another one, exactly what we need right now. Definitely.

TL;DR Loses to Cena, loses his stable. loses all heat and momentum.

klonere

Banned
His reason is "anyone but you." His gimmick is internet poster circa January 2015.

I don't understand why they didn't play this up more. Why wasn't Bray playing up what happened at the Rumble more? Why didn't he trot out the footage of the crowd? The fact that Roman got The Rock boo'd? The reaction at Mania? The cheers for Seth when he won the belt? Its all recap packages which they love. Nah he just talked. And he threatened to kidnap his daughter which was dropped within a week. And he had a room with Roman's face all over it or something.

bjork

I don't understand why they didn't play this up more. Why wasn't Bray playing up what happened at the Rumble more? Why didn't he trot out the footage of the crowd? The fact that Roman got The Rock boo'd? The reaction at Mania? The cheers for Seth when he won the belt? Its all recap packages which they love. Nah he just talked. And he threatened to kidnap his daughter which was dropped within a week. And he had a room with Roman's face all over it or something.

I have no idea. 99% of my WWE intake comes via reading reports, so most of the Bray promo bits are sort of glossed over. The first time I saw one was after months of people going on about what a good promo he is, and I didn't really see it, but that might just be me.

I see Brian Cage picked up some new moves at BOLA. Kinda funny considering the hissy fit he throws on twitter if you dare suggest Elgin was doing the 2nd-rope deadlift suplex before him, lol.

Has anyone else been reading Bob Backlund's book?

Amazing insight into the new york territory in the wwwf era that I can't ever recall seeing before. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, up to 1982 and his series with Snuka now. A lot of how vince runs the wwf now is pretty much exactly how vince snr did it. The problem of course being jnr doesn't have other territories to get new heels from when the babyface roster has burnt through them.

Well worth a read if you're interested in that part of wrestling history.

Striker

Wade was going somewhere post-Cena in two cases. One when he was feuding with Randy Orton in late 2011 and heading into Mania season. But at the Rumble he got injured by Big Shoe and missed several months. It felt as if he was going to be going over Orton in the feud, but alas. Then the second time is when they were doing the whole Bad News angle, but he, again, got injured by Jack Swagger and missed the MitB PPV, where he had a strong chance of capturing the briefcase. He returned and did nothing until they planted the King of the Ring gimmick on him and followed that up with even worse booking.

As for Bray, his feuds have always stunk. From Kane, Bryan, Cena, Jericho, Ambrose, Ryback, Reigns. Nothing memorable (for him) in relation to promos, something significant happening during the match, etc. It's always the same, boring BS. The only thing going on that was interesting was the stable wars with The Shied and that was brief because they instead pit The Shield against Evolution.

November should be NEWvember where we all watch some 'new/different' promotions to what we'd normally watch. Hopefully, more than just WWE fans watching TNA, and vice versa.

Hex

Banned
I enjoyed the 6 man tag with Reigns, Orton and Ambrose, enjoyed Banks picking up the W, and enjoyed New Day leaving everyone laying but Raw is starting to make me want to go back to Kaiju Big Battel

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I see Brian Cage picked up some new moves at BOLA. Kinda funny considering the hissy fit he throws on twitter if you dare suggest Elgin was doing the 2nd-rope deadlift suplex before him, lol.

Well, I guess I need something to do with my morning. Lotta crying going on in here, I should at least incite someone's fury.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm never going to watch indie feds with shitty camera angles and terrible lighting, guys.

I know, I'm a terrible person that is missing out on some "great wrestling", but that's the standard I'm setting. A decent hard camera, angles that give me a good view of the action and proper lighting that isn't directly aimed into the camera is the bare minimum of what I need.

Colocho

Banned
If Ziggler kicking Cena is a hint of the US title match at HiaC, I'd be pretty ok with that to be honest. That'd mean that Dolph gets his much needed heel turn to get rid of his current stale character, he's one of my favorite performers on the WWE right now, but whenever he appears I just roll my eyes.

Him winning the title would be glorious too, but LOL Cena wins.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm never going to watch indie feds with shitty camera angles and terrible lighting, guys.

I know, I'm a terrible person that is missing out on some "great wrestling", but that's the standard I'm setting. A decent hard camera, angles that give me a good view of the action and proper lighting that isn't directly aimed into the camera is the bare minimum of what I need.
I see no problem with this.

trying to grab the brass ring

It's not in there!

Define terrible lighting. Lots of Indies have bad camera angles but I can recommend some good promotions.

House of Hardcore (I'm the best)
Superkick'd (think punk rock concert)
CZW (I'm the best)
PWG (they use house lights though, they just don't care)
OnPoint Wrestling
There's a few others, but those are good for starters

Also, having production standards is a good thing, not a bad thing. There are some promotions I straight up will not watch because the production is so shitty.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't have The New Day continue to work with Cena. He'll just kill their momentum like he does with everyone else.

Terrible post. Just dogshit all around. Cena makes stars.

Nobody said anything about the NXT 24/7 special being on.

Wondering if they're gonna try to spin that mediocre ass Owens/Balor ladder match as something special.

I heard next to no talk about it. I think we're all tired.

Again with this?

How does John Cena "kill" momentum?

Well,

NoRéN;180841182 said:
Hmm, because all my faves should be WWE World Heavyweight champs right now!!!

or something like that.

Basically that

Rusev, Wyatt, Wade Barrett, Nexus, Umaga.

And Ziggler, Ryder, Sandow, Owens...

Rusev's great. Wyatt kept his character intact. Barrett had bad luck, it wasn't Cena's fault. Sure, we can be upset he berried him under chairs but Wade has had some absolutely terrible luck with injury and it's killed a big part of his career.

Ziggler? LOL where do you want that stupid-ass? Dude is a black hole, he ain't shit. ESPECIALLY on the mic, which Cena never could "bury" - Ryder is a joke. Sandow is a joke. Owens is exactly where he belongs. All of them are exactly where they belong, except Ziggler, who should be buried even further into the earth since he's shit.

The "John Cena DESTROYS CAREERS" thing is stupid as hell if you think about it more than five minutes. Yes, creative often doesn't have a storyline as compelling as the one they had with Cena which can derail them, but that's not John Cena's fault or being in a match with John Cena. It's creative's.

Kevin Owens is doing just fine after a bunch of matches with Cena. Like, even if Bray Wyatt won his matches against Cena he'd still be struggling for a while if they gave him the same storylines.

So I guess I can understand a bit of trepidation when someone you like is about to feud with Cena, but the matches themselves usually do a lot for the person Cena is fighting. WWE is just bad at giving people a bit of time off after that and then bringing them back with something interesting to do.

Also hi, I guess I'm back.

wb QOT. Also everything you stated is correct. Cena GIVES, and people are marks. I remember some posters in WrassleGAF responding "FUCK YOU CENA" after Owens won the first match on Raw. And uh, that's pretty weird since Owens' fans just received a most GENEROUS donation from Cena himself. So go fuck yourselves, basically, is what I'm seeing.

ICW and PROGRESS both have good production. Things at the top end have moved on from 2005 ROH and (shudder) 1PW I used to watch somehow.

Two things I hate is when the ring isn't properly lighted and when the lights are in view of the camera, so if that's sorted we're getting somewhere.

Well, most indies that have light trees will have ones that don't go up -too- high. Couple that with cameramen shooting from the floor diagonally up, and there you go. To fix that you need to film from the center of one of the sides.

2005 ROH is both AWESOME (Lights and specific entrances for dudes like Aries. They even have a spotlight!) and janky (No real entranceway for Manhattan shows, small ass one elsewhere)

They're much better now with the entrance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't recommend PROGRESS enough. I seek out new PROGRESS a lot more than NJPW, to be honest.

Well, most indies that have light trees will have ones that don't go up -too- high. Couple that with cameramen shooting from the floor diagonally up, and there you go. To fix that you need to film from the center of one of the sides.

2005 ROH is both AWESOME (Lights and specific entrances for dudes like Aries. They even have a spotlight!) and janky (No real entranceway for Manhattan shows, small ass one elsewhere)

They're much better now with the entrance.

Oh god, that fucking Aries entrance was so good

Top Bottom