• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

On a scale of one to Bret Hart, how sour was Kevin Kelly on his podcast about Dave Meltzer saying that NJPW should have called Mauro Ranallo or Jim Ross instead and that Kelly was only chosen because he would have worked for cheaper and through the ROH connection?

CQj738GWUAAT1mE.jpg

On a scale of one to Bret Hart, how sour was Kevin Kelly on his podcast about Dave Meltzer saying that NJPW should have called Mauro Ranallo or Jim Ross instead and that Kelly was only chosen because he would have worked for cheaper and through the ROH connection?

1) Kevin Kelly has a podcast?

2) Mauro and,Barnett should have gotten at least a call.

3) he prob was chosen because of ROH.

Ranallo would have been perfect.

Excalibur and Hero as well.

Is Tanahashi wearing the Yeezy 2's?

Assuming you mean Okada, then I don't think so. I don't see any straps.

Apparently so. I have not heard it, but I assume that it is terrible.

Prolly is. I bet you it is on the same level as Josh Matthew's podcast.

Anth0ny

I would rather listen to Japanese commentary that I don't understand than suffer those goobers Striker and Kelly.

I wonder if JR was ultimately too expensive in the end. I thought WK9 on PPV here exceeded expectations?

Mauro would have been great, too. Damn it. Present New Japan properly to the North American audience and take over the world already.

Aiii

So not worth it
JR only wants to do commentary if he can be there in person (at least, that's what he claimed back then), I would imagine this is studio work from the US.

They need to get Mauro. Just get Mauro.

Kelly is not good. ROH commentary is the worst its ever been.

JR only wants to do commentary if he can be there in person (at least, that's what he claimed back then), I would imagine this is studio work from the US.

The press release said they'll be there in Japan.

bjork

But Punk left on bad terms.

Could you see say a John Cena or maybe a Rusev in an angle moving him off the card skipping a Raw or a PPV because of rehab or maybe seeing a sick relative.

Bryan had to get scripted off of raw and IIRC he didn't even get to see him before he passed.

I feel it's more that Punk left on his own terms, they probably seemed good to him. No sense in waiting around for an angle to write him off. If they want, they can turn that into their own angle or promo. See: Rock's "get the F out" promo.

Oh really, that's surprising.

But cool, definitely helps the atmosphere.

Yeah, I only caught it as a fluke, they didn't really plug that.

But yeah, Kelly is bad. Striker is ok. JR was hilarious as the cranky old fuck who you had to impress to get a reaction from.

Anth0ny

Don't forget, this is NJPW running this on their own on NJPW World, not GFW presenting it on PPV.

stupid question: why doesn't New Japan present it on PPV? I can't imagine GFW presenting it last time had much impact on the buy rate.

again, I just always heard the wrestle kingdom show exceeded expectations, so I always expected them to follow up in North America, and they never really did. it's a shame too because I loved WK9 and consistent shows with english commentary is something I'd be super interested in.

stupid question: why doesn't New Japan present it on PPV? I can't imagine GFW presenting it last time had much impact on the buy rate.

again, I just always heard the wrestle kingdom show exceeded expectations, so I always expected them to follow up in North America, and they never really did. it's a shame too because I loved WK9 and consistent shows with english commentary is something I'd be super interested in.

It's just about access to PPV providers, doing negotiations, making deals, all that junk. GFW did the legwork to get it on PPV.

Anth0ny

It's just about access to PPV providers, doing negotiations, making deals, all that junk. GFW did the legwork to get it on PPV.

I see. that's annoying. you'd think in 2015 a Japanese company as large at New Japan wouldn't need some shitty, Z-tier American proxy to work all that stuff out for them.

I see. that's annoying. you'd think in 2015 a Japanese company as large at New Japan wouldn't need some shitty, Z-tier American proxy to work all that stuff out for them.

It's irritating for sure, but not really that surprising. Japanese wrestling has had an isolationist mentality for ever, New Japan were one of the first to even try and make it accessible to viewers outside of Japan with international iPPVs. They first tried to export in the mid-90's when there was a NJPW show with English language commentary on Eurosport, but Riki Choshu reputedly hated the whole concept and felt that by reaching out to international viewers and catering to their tastes the New Japan product would become irrevocably altered. Ironically, the westernising of the product in recent years is what enabled them to stand out from the pack and recover so well from the unfortunate years during MMA's boom when puro really suffered.

Fox318

Its depressing watching how good NXT is and knowing that the main roster probably won't be like that until small group of people move on.

imBask

Banned
Its depressing watching how good NXT is and knowing that the main roster probably won't be like that until small group of people move on.

they moved up a ton of people and they're (the majority of them) failing hard

I think they might be on the verge of ruining Kevin Owens too, the IC belt is cursed

Sephzilla

Dunn needs to be forced into retirement
Vince needs to be banned from the creative room
WWE needs to pay for a couple of real writers

Dion314

Neo Member
WWE 24 Brooklyn Specials spoiler:

i dont want you to go
I dont want to go

;_________________________;

Yeah it was really nice to see how much NXT meant to the folks getting called up. Owens was crying after his match too. Such a good special. Good to see them doing more documentary style stuff for the Network considering they really excel at it.

I would've liked to see them make mention of how important it was to have Liger on the card with it being his first time in a WWE ring (especially since they interviewed Breeze) and Apollo Crews debuting but I think he's gonna be featured on Breaking Ground so they're probably saving footage for that when it airs.

Fox318

they moved up a ton of people and they're (the majority of them) failing hard

I think they might be on the verge of ruining Kevin Owens too, the IC belt is cursed

All the NXT people moving up just proves that unless you have Vince's look it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter how much you talk, work, or connect.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here we go again. Jeez.

The problem is WWE needs less programming. "Get rid of Vince and Dunn!" you still have many, MANY hours to fill.

We know it's not going to happen, for them to kill the amount of time needed. But saying Vince and Dunn need to go is the markiest, most embarrassing shit. It's about time.

Split the goddamned universes.

Sephzilla

Here we go again. Jeez.

The problem is WWE needs less programming. "Get rid of Vince and Dunn!" you still have many, MANY hours to fill.

We know it's not going to happen, for them to kill the amount of time needed. But saying Vince and Dunn need to go is the markiest, most embarrassing shit. It's about time.

One guy is a senile 70 year old man who's trying to appeal to a demographic that's half a century younger than him. The other guy is a person who hasn't provided jack shit to the company in a decade. I agree that they have too much programming right now, but the main issues with the show aren't being able to fill all those hours - it's that the stuff they're putting into those hours arent good at all and wouldn't be better if the show was 2 hours or 1 hour.

Cutting the amount of WWE programming dramatically isn't going to magically make people care about Big Show or Kane in 2015. It isn't going to fix CenaWinsLOL. It isn't going to fix how botched the womens division is.

Here we go again. Jeez.

wwe's problem goes further then two many hours of programming per week though.

Raw is flatout terrible most nights. And that's not because vince & the writing staff are beside themselves wondering what should happen on next weeks Main Event. If Raw was one hour it wouldn't make it that much better. There was not one hour of good content last night.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One guy is a senile 70 year old man who's trying to appeal to a demographic that's half a century younger than him. The other guy is a person who hasn't provided jack shit to the company in a decade. I agree that they have too much programming right now, but the main issues with the show aren't being able to fill all those hours - it's that the stuff they're putting into those hours arent good at all and wouldn't be better if the show was 2 hours or 1 hour

it's the 8 hours we're talking about

Here we go again. Jeez.

We know it's not going to happen, for them to kill the amount of time needed. But saying Vince and Dunn need to go is the markiest, most embarrassing shit.
giphy.gif

Sephzilla

it's the 8 hours we're talking about

No it's not. The stuff they're putting into those 8 hours wouldn't be good if it was 4 hours, or 2 hours. I know you're being your Sunny Mac character right now by defending Dunn and Vince, but the truth is the more involved Vince and Dunn get the worse the product becomes.

Penguin

Here we go again. Jeez.

Yeah, they need to shrink Raw back down to 2 hours

Even with 3 hours, most of the roster doesn't get to appear.

Also think they need a stronger divide between SmackDown/Raw. Maybe not a proper brand extension, but there's a lot of wrestlers who could cut their teeth and improve their characters there.

Top Bottom