• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

Bronx-Man

Banned
I honestly can’t think of who would win WWE Wrestler of the Year. No one has stood out in 2017 so far and that includes Sami, Joe, and Nakamura.

I guess Strowman by default?

Actually in terms of common opponents, I'd say Okada almost always has had better matches with them than Kenny. The clearest examples came in the G1.

Yeah, a big difference between Okada and Omega is that Okada odes not have to do crazy dangerous spots in order to make the match feel special, it is just about the storytelling with the Rainmaker. Omega on the other hand is always trying to outdo itself by doing something more dangerous than before.

oh

well that's pretty fucked up

the funny nigerian guy in that Gallows story is a murderer .

of course. because it's wrestling.

Incidentally, commentators need to stop calling the Jim Breaks Special when Sabre, Scurll, etc, do it - Breaks beat his wife to death earlier this year :/

I honestly can’t think of who would win WWE Wrestler of the Year. No one has stood out in 2017 so far, and that includes Sami, Joe, and Nakamura.

Roman Reigns of course

He retired the Undertaker, was final two of the Royal Rumble for the third of four years, main evented his third straight Mania, sent Cena off to Hollywood, and reunited the Shield, everybody's favorite team who everyone wanted back so it'd benefit everyone. What more could the people want?

We'll agree to disagree there.

As far as high flyers go, I would put Neville in the top 3 or top 5 at worst in the indie world. Neville going full tilt boogie like he did in DG will be a spectacle.

If we're limiting ourselves to just "high flyers", then yeah, I could see that. But I'm comparing him to the whole scene. I'd easily put him behind the obvious candidates like Okada, Omega, Naito, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Hiromu, Kushida, and Ospreay. And I'd argue he's also behind guys like Sabre, Scurll, Suzuki, Fenix, Pentagon, Ricochet, Keith Lee, Travis Banks, and Dunne. Maybe even guys like Bate, Riddle, and Cobb, but those are where the borderline arguments are.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly can’t think of who would win WWE Wrestler of the Year. No one has stood out in 2017 so far and that includes Sami, Joe, and Nakamura.

John Cena. AJ Styles. I daresay Andrade Cien Almas is a contender, he's been wonderful. Dunne.

Yeah, a big difference between Okada and Omega is that Okada odes not have to do crazy dangerous spots in order to make the match feel special, it is just about the storytelling with the Rainmaker. Omega on the other hand is always trying to outdo itself by doing something more dangerous than before.

Yeah, Omega can't DO his 2017 output again. It got folks' attention, but I hope he transitions into doing less because he doesn't have to do more anymore.

Heroman

Banned
But tons of Omega matches don't have any dangerous spits and have great storytelling.

But tons of Omega matches don't have any dangerous spits and have great storytelling.

His best matches usually do include some crazy spots though. Not always, but more often than not.

So what's the real reason Nia is taking time off?

Edit: Also is Bray vs Finn not happening? Can't see Bray being good to go in time.

According to Meltzer it's just her taking time off because she's not being used.

The answer is probably Dunne. Even if you exclude his outside of WWE stuff. But if you include it, he's absolutely the answer.

Well, yeah. The random tags do not have those type of spots, same with mid tier matches like the one against Yoshi, but every time he goes against one of the top contender he does something dangerous.

Foggy

If we're limiting ourselves to just "high flyers", then yeah, I could see that. But I'm comparing him to the whole scene. I'd easily put him behind the obvious candidates like Okada, Omega, Naito, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Hiromu, Kushida, and Ospreay. And I'd argue he's also behind guys like Sabre, Scurll, Suzuki, Fenix, Pentagon, Ricochet, Keith Lee, Travis Banks, and Dunne. Maybe even guys like Bate, Riddle, and Cobb, but those are where the borderline arguments are.

Considering most promotions, particularly indie promotions, put a premium on high flyers and try to have a certain amount per card, being in the tippity top carries a good deal of leverage. Like hypothetically, you're trying to build a card and you have 10 grade A hosses to pick from and all of those guys are "better"(apples to oranges, but whatever) than Neville, the fact that Neville is a top 3 high flyer(subjective but let's roll with the hypothetical) means more in spite of the fact that he's not better than the worst of those hosses.

Even in the case of NJPW, you have a Ricochet-sized hole in your roster(presumably). What high flying juniors out there are you going to want to snatch up before you get to Neville?

Hard to decide between Omega and Okada for wrestler of the year. I was sure it was Okada's, but then Omega had his matches in the US with Ishii, the mother fucking G1 finals with Naito and now this awesome match with Juice.

Fuck it, they're both wrestler of the year!!!!

2000-all-star-mvp4ws04.jpg

Yeah it should be a joint award.

Omega actually has the 4 top rated matches of the year. Whereas Okada is just top 3.

Considering most promotions, particularly indie promotions, put a premium on high flyers and try to have a certain amount per card, being in the tippity top carries a good deal of leverage. Like hypothetically, you're trying to build a card and you have 10 grade A hosses to pick from and all of those guys are "better"(apples to oranges, but whatever) than Neville, the fact that Neville is a top 3 high flyer(subjective but let's roll with the hypothetical) means more in spite of the fact that he's not better than the worst of those hosses.

Even in the case of NJPW, you have a Ricochet-sized hole in your roster(presumably). What high flying juniors out there are you going to want to snatch up before you get to Neville?

Oh, I'm not saying he won't get work. He absolutely will. There are spots for him. He just personally isn't in my top 15 or so as an all-around worker. Even when comparing guys now to his DG work I think he wasn't as good then as the very top guys are now. The scene as a whole is just better than it was them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it should be a joint award.

Omega actually has the 4 top rated matches of the year. Whereas Okada is just top 3.

I get that, but thing is, that's for Meltzer to decide - we all have our own special matches we like that others may not, certain performers may resonate more with us over others, etc. Tons of opinions and everyone is right, and some folks are downright bananas.

I liked the House of Horrors match

Raw64life

And I thought the fact she beat Carmella clean last week was leading up to something finally.

It'll lead up to, some months later when Carmella cashes in and becomes champ, a random B-PPV where Ellsworth helps Carmella beat Becky a few times to get heat and then move on to another contender.

Now that they're actually doing something with Sami, Becky is easily the biggest waste of talent on the SD roster right now.

Foggy

Oh, I'm not saying he won't get work. He absolutely will. There are spots for him. He just personally isn't in my top 15 or so as an all-around worker. Even when comparing guys now to his DG work I think he wasn't as good then as the very top guys are now. The scene as a whole is just better than it was them.

My opinion is definitely predicated on him being able to go full tilt now that Michael PS Hayes or whoever the fuck isn't having to dictate his matches. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but I have faith.

My opinion is definitely predicated on him being able to go full tilt now that Michael PS Hayes or whoever the fuck isn't having to dictate his matches. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but I have faith.

I can't wait to find out. Like I said last night, there are a ridiculous amount of great matchups for him.

It'll lead up to, some months later when Carmella cashes in and becomes champ, a random B-PPV where Ellsworth helps Carmella beat Becky a few times to get heat and then move on to another contender.

Now that they're actually doing something with Sami, Becky is easily the biggest waste of talent on the SD roster right now.
Yeah. It's a shame too. She's a very natural babyface, one of the few people who can cut the type of cookie cutter I'm a good guy promo and make it work and even now, when she barely does anything, you shove her in a match and she'll be still very over but WWE do fuck all about it.

Every so often I remember that one day Big Ass will come back, and I get sad.
Fuck Big Cass.

Like usually with a guy pushed for height there's something. Always something maybe. Even a little thing like a nice beard, or cool gear or a nice theme, good booking.

Nope with Cass.

Top Bottom