• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

So, with more HiaC matches on the way tonight.

What do we think are the actually good/great modern Cell matches? the gimmick got massively diluted over the years being used in numerous heatless feuds due to the named PPV.

I'm not sure where to start judging from because the 2000 era still had plenty of great outings like Batista/Trips and Edge/Taker.
Things start getting shaky afterwards, Trips/Taker at WM28 is an entertaining hot mess that encapsulates WWE style perfectly, Seth/Dean had some heat at least.
Otherwise I'm drawing blanks, I'm probably gonna look up the matches and see many forgotten cell matches.

Though I always remember Orton/Sheamus for the backbreaker while standing on steel steps...WHY?

Tagyhag

Since Banks/Charolette's HiaC match, are there going to be more women's matches like that?

What did you peeps think of that match?

Way too many mistakes and I bet it really soured Vince on the idea, especially the table spot.

I'd like to see it again, especially with Asuka, but I doubt it'll happen again unless Vince steps down or Asuka really grows on him.

Foggy

Since Banks/Charolette's HiaC match, are there going to be more women's matches like that?

It was a hot mess. They had their shot and botched it up. It's a shame.

And stretcher spots need to go in the trash forever.

Heroman

Banned
Problem with hell in the cell is that they do it too much so it loses something, the same can be said for other gimmick matches.

I that brock vs taker match from a few years ago.
Oh yeah, that was way better than expected.

It had promise but the ladies lacked the oomph to pull off the more hardcore spots of the match leading to it being a bit botch worthy, I appreciate the effort and hope the women get another shot though.

The women's match also started with a dumb stretcher spot

"oh no it's too brutal, they can't pull off this first-ever women's HIAC match"

But yea it didn't help that they couldn't break the tables

DLn-WmoW0AAVgRP.jpg:small

ADR/Punk/Cena was solid enough if I recall.
It also ends with AWESOME TRUTH, Ice Cold Mike the Miz Mizanin as a monster heel, "we're girls Hunter, something could happen!"

A reminder that we've had a stretcher spot at Summerslam, and a pseudo stretcher spot at No Mercy, we've got a streak to maintain.
Maybe Xavier can start as a participant in his match only to get stretchered and Kofi takes over!

IT'S SO FRESH

Having a lot of fun with my SNES mini

I forgot how garbo the WWF : WrestleMania The Arcade Game port it got was though. Only 3 characters and no bambam or yoko

What's everyone's opinion on the Invasion angle?

when I saw it, I thought it was great, but after a while and looking at retrospective videos, it was weird how some of the wrestlers (on the WCW/ECW side) were booked afterward.

when I saw it, I thought it was great, but after a while and looking at retrospective videos, it was weird how some of the wrestlers (on the WCW/ECW side) were booked afterward.

It was great through to the peak of Heyman doing his famous "tribe of extreme" speech

then an hour later stephanie came out and the whole angle died there and then.

If Vince had not had Steph involved AND paid money for say, Steiner, DDP and Goldberg, it could have been the hottest thing ever

Mahonay

Banned

For me personally it was the primary thing that caused me to stop me watching for a decade. Too much "fuck you wrestling fans" booking for me to handle.

Was insanely hype for it at first, though.

I didn't have nearly enough perspective on WCW to notice how many balls were being dropped at the time.
Taking it as it was without the required knowledge it was....okay? even then I could tell it was gonna basically be a victory lap for WWE finally being on top alone.
Regardless it was basically a big faction war that lasted a few months, came with all the fun of random arse turns and BIG FIGHT FEEL.
Austin/Angle had some great stuff, fun blowoff match between the brands at survivor series when you don't think too hard about Team WCW being alternative Team WWE featuring Booker T and RVD.

Though the overwrought nature of THE DEATH OF THE WWE was a bit much even as a kid.

Hasney

It was great through to the peak of Heyman doing his famous "tribe of extreme" speech

then an hour later stephanie came out and the whole angle died there and then.

If Vince had not had Steph involved AND paid money for say, Steiner, DDP and Goldberg, it could have been the hottest thing ever

Yup. ECW being a wildcard third brand when they all came out and turned on the WWE guys was so fucking good.... Then it didn't even last the goddamn episode.

Top Bottom