• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

Aiii

So not worth it
Aiii, would you be defending WWE this much if AJ weren't on the roster? Be honest.

Yes, I was a fan of wrestling long before AJ came along, so what an odd thing to say just because I'm a fan of a certain wrestler.

And I am hard on WWE when I need to be, I'm just not on the "EVERYTHING SUCKS BECAUSE EVERYTHING SUCKS" bandwagon.

Main Event and Smackdown really don't count for story purposes. At least, not for main stories.

They maintain the storyline and expose how often they do the same match due to not having enough talent for that many hours of TV.

Entire episodes? Of course not, I couldn't do that in 1999 either. Memorable moments though? Sure I can, here's three:
-Ziggler cashing in.
-Cena picking Daniel Bryan as his challenger for Summer Slam
-AJ's promo on the Total Divas.

Raw is bad right now, but it doesn't ALWAYS suck, it's as simple as that.

Wait, you liked them having Cena choose Bryan as his opponent for Summerslam? That was the epitome of lazy storytelling

G-Fex

of course WWE sucks. Still watch cause well I haven't a clue why really.

Only will change channel if something is unwatchable.

it's amazing how much Smackdown doesn't count for Anything at all.

I haven't watched Smackdown in years. I regret nothing.

And no for real, the way they made the entire roster look like spineless bums who need handouts makes me angry. Like, as characters, I hate all of them. All the babyfaces are garbage, and since all the heels lose and need managers + interference to get anything done, that must mean all the heels suck too. I have nobody to get behind on the main roster. It's the first time I'm not rooting for someone EVER. Like even rooting in a "smart fan" way of wanting them booked well or whatever. They're all garbage. This is how irrational Skylar haters must've felt during Breaking Bad.

The last time anything interesting happened is when Punk chewed out that fan for no reason. The WWE needs a reboot. Fire everyone and switch the Raw feeds to replays of New Japan in the meantime.

strobogo

Banned
it's amazing how much Smackdown doesn't count for Anything at all.

Smackdown is a side quest. Raw is the main story. Sometimes they over lap. Usually they are completely disconnected. Main Event is just free roaming after you've finished the main story. Superstars is a demo.

G-Fex

I haven't watched Smackdown in years. I regret nothing.

And no for real, the way they made the entire roster look like spineless bums who need handouts makes me angry. Like, as characters, I hate all of them. All the babyfaces are garbage, and since all the heels lose and need managers + interference to get anything done, that must mean all the heels suck too. I have nobody to get behind on the main roster. It's the first time I'm not rooting for someone EVER. Like even rooting in a "smart fan" way of wanting them booked well or whatever. They're all garbage. This is how irrational Skylar haters must've felt during Breaking Bad.

The last time anything interesting happened is when Punk chewed out that fan for no reason. The WWE needs a reboot. Fire everyone and switch the Raw feeds to replays of New Japan in the meantime.

Huh.

I wish they would reboot Raw. That would be interesting.

Least for one week. Then they'd screw it up.

Smackdown is a side quest. Raw is the main story. Sometimes they over lap. Usually they are completely disconnected. Main Event is just free roaming after you've finished the main story. Superstars is a demo.

That's a good way to put it.

PPV's are unwanted DLC

Unrelated, but I saw someone with Wrecker's previous Clint avatar, and it made me go "WAT DA HEYL"

Yeah I saw someone maybe unaware copied Expendable's avatar too. Don't care really cause I don't like Expendable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The last time anything interesting happened is when Punk chewed out that fan for no reason.

I'd go even further back than that.
2d102e0f849395a80e7a86ea345876a1.png

And I don't even like Punk, but it was the last time people really talked about WWE in a big way. It was the last time WWE had a water cooler moment. Like Bryan's a good wrestler and all, but I'm really supposed to buy that some goofy guy with a beard, Luke Skywalker hair and the same repetitive phrase over and over again is going to be the next Stone Cold?

Bryan was 2001 Stone Cold at best. Good wrestler but boring gimmick due to it merely existing as a vehicle for fans to yell a cathphrase. And Triple H never makes himself look like an idiot or a coward like Vince did. This certainly ain't the level of this
tumblr_mg8ezs1abe1rxlf3go1_500.gif

G-Fex

You know video game comparisons are pretty apt since WWE is more cutscenes and scripted scenes than "gameplay" :p

and now I really kind of wish I had waited to change my username now cause I want a different one.

If you watched the end of that Raw and didn't get goosebumps you should stop watching wrestling.

There is a difference between liking the result and liking how you get there. If Bryan wins the WWE title at HIAC, that would be great, but that doesn't change the fact that the storyline how he got there has been fucking awful. At the end of the day, WWE creative needed a way to get Bryan into the main event with Cena, and they chose Cena picking him because it was quick, easy, and lazy. That sucked.

Unrelated, but I saw someone with Wrecker's previous Clint avatar, and it made me go "WAT DA HEYL"

I've seen that too. It's like the same crop and transparency and everything.

THEY JACKIN YA BOY, OHHH MAH GOODNESS

Or maybe he had it first, I unno. Can't go back to that one anymore.

I'd go even further back than that.
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...e0f849395a80e7a86ea345876a1.png?itok=c0AAQ6uI
And I don't even like Punk, but it was the last time people really talked about WWE in a big way. It was the last time WWE had a water cooler moment. Like Bryan's a good wrestler and all, but I'm really supposed to buy that some goofy guy with a beard, Luke Skywalker hair and the same repetitive phrase over and over again is going to be the next Stone Cold?

Bryan was 2001 Stone Cold at best. Good wrestler but boring gimmick due to it merely existing as a vehicle for fans to yell a cathphrase. And Triple H never makes himself look like an idiot or a coward like Vince did. This certainly ain't the level of this
http://24.media.tumblr.com/36cbfe369380625172f10c25ddd1a9c1/tumblr_mg8ezs1abe1rxlf3go1_500.gif

Well I'm not asking for "The Shoot" every week, that can't be expected. but there's nothing right now. No energy. The show used to be called Raw because it was RAW, now it's Raw because it's uncooked, and eating it gives you salmonella.

That's what Spike should do with TNA. I'm sure NJPW would be a better lead-in for their MMA shit than TNA anyways.

TNA's awful right now. I just fast forward through impact for the Aries/Roode/Kaz/Daniels promos. I don't remember the last time I watched even 20 minutes of the show.

Aiii

So not worth it
Spike would just put Hogan and a bunch of MMA fighters in NJPW and make you watch that instead of these silly Japanese wrestlers.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think I've watched a full TNA show since Bully Ray joined A8. I kept up with PPVs, but I don't think I've watched one all year and I haven't watched Impact since last Summer. I don't even care. Oh wait, that show was this year? What the fuck. Why does it seem like it has been a year and a half since Lockdown?

Goldust running into hug Cody after the pin at Battleship with Dusty crying on the outside is the best moment since Daniel Bryan winning the title.

mouserat

Neo Member
the last good RAW is pretty subjective. I have my concerns about the booking but all in all I enjoy the product, or I wouldn't keep watching it. there have been some phenomenal matches on RAW since Wrestlemania involving Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Daniel Bryan, the Shield, the Usos, Antonio Cesaro, Cody Rhodes, as well as some great promos from Mark Henry, John Cena (yeah i said it), Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, AJ Lee, plus every time Brock Lesnar was on RAW it was great.

i'm only entertained by the WWE when HHH and Steph are hamming it up or Lesnar shows up and destroys someone.

the rest is garbage.

The best part is that the majority of them keep watching, even after complaining.

lower standards. Vince knows the marks have no alternative, so he could essentially film himself slapping his dick on the camera for 3 hours and the marks would say "oh, it's a slow burn. the dick is going over at the end of the angle".

Aiii

So not worth it
So, Sami is in Abu Dhabi with the main roster, and the next NXT tapings are on October 10th. That means no Sami Zayn for four weeks on NXT from 30th of October to the episode of November 20th.

Ithil

Well that sucks. I'll assume they've filmed some backstage segment that has someone injure him for a month or something.

Maybe the problem is that you can't do angles that last longer than 2 or 3 months in this day and age.

We are in the age of short attention spans and instant gratification after all.

That has nothing to do with it as they don't give the fans instant gratification, the issue is they don't give the fans any gratification at all. Where was the gratification in Punk getting blind-sided by Nash? Was it when HHH beat Nash in a match after he had Punk job to him despite being a non-wrestler? Where's the gratification in Bryan standing over HHH when the person who actually took HHH out was the man who cost Bryan the title the night before?

There's no excuse for how dreadful the writing is. Whenever a new face becomes the most popular man in the company they strip them of all momentum to try and get over some vet who never has or will be such a draw. I seriously can't comprehend why they do it.

So, Sami is in Abu Dhabi with the main roster, and the next NXT tapings are on October 10th. That means no Sami Zayn for four weeks on NXT from 30th of October to the episode of November 20th.

Did they already tape his title shot?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The less Sami Zayn the better. Dude has no muscle charisma.

Kaladin

My friend who owns a bar is going to put some wrestling matches on with a band that is coming down to play which does some wrestling themed songs.

We have a local wrestling promotion who is doing the matches, and (I think) they have their own guy, but I'm going to ask my friend to let me be the ring announcer for the wrestling matches. He knows I'm a fan so hopefully it will work out....this happens in December.

The night will be promoted as Rock N' Wrestling with 4 matches and 4 bands with the headliner being ANTiSEEN.

Jamie OD

Spike would just put Hogan and a bunch of MMA fighters in NJPW and make you watch that instead of these silly Japanese wrestlers.

Just like Antonio Inoki. I get your point but New Japan was originally built on prototype fake MMA and Hogan's work over there did them a lot of good too.

Aiii

So not worth it
Random question, but have any high-profile wrestlers dislocated their patella? What's the healing time like?

I'm not a wrestler, but I've dislocated my kneecap.

Basically, all that happens is it stretches out everything attached to your knee cap, I never rehabbed properly, so it bothers me to this day, but it stops hurting after about a month or so, in fact, the majority of the pain ends the second your kneecap is popped back into place, I bet a wrestler could work through the pain.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunny, what do you think of this guy?

I love Matt Classic. Strong build.

ibec5ky0TDG9X8.gif

The transformation is complete. Like a bad case of syphilis, I see Vince has truly infected every facet of your being.

Cmon now Bootaaay. You know as well as I do that muscle charisma is real. Zayn may be just fine in the ring but there's no muscle charisma. Is it charismatic? Sure. But it's not muscle charisma.

Batigol

Banned

Basically, all that happens is it stretches out everything attached to your knee cap, I never rehabbed properly, so it bothers me to this day, but it stops hurting after about a month or so, in fact, the majority of the pain ends the second your kneecap is popped back into place, I bet a wrestler could work through the pain.

I did mine two days ago :( Hurts like a mother.

antonz

Random question, but have any high-profile wrestlers dislocated their patella? What's the healing time like?

I would think its possible especially for the top rope boys. Landing on the knee is one way to do it. Recovery is a 3-5 month thing usually

Aiii said:

It all depends on the severity of the dislocation - indy wrestler Terra Calaway dislocated her patella back in March and will be out for the rest of 2013, as the dislocation also tore all the ligaments surrounding the knee cap. Sin Cara tore his patella tendon and was out a good 6 months, iirc.

Sunflower said:
Cmon now Bootaaay. You know as well as I do that muscle charisma is real. Zayn may be just fine in the ring but there's no muscle charisma. Is it charismatic? Sure. But it's not muscle charisma.

Perhaps he doesn't need it? Not everyone has to have a great physique, and as long as Zayn's not throwing a bunch of strikes or doing deadlifts on huge opponents, I don't see the problem. Dude's in shape, comes across as pacey and athletic and has more than enough physical and natural charisma to draw the audience into whatever he's doing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps he doesn't need it? Not everyone has to have a great physique, and as long as Zayn's not throwing a bunch of strikes or doing deadlifts on huge opponents, I don't see the problem. Dude's in shape, comes across as pacey and athletic and has more than enough physical and natural charisma to draw the audience into whatever he's doing.

He must not need it, this is why he's on NXT instead of the main roster.

I'm just FUCKING WITH YOU

But he does not have muscle charisma. He's no Superstar Billy Graham.

Aiii

So not worth it
I did mine two days ago :( Hurts like a mother.

It's been like 8 or so years since it happened to me, so I might have blocked out some of the pain.

What did happen is that I was standing in line for over an hour about five years ago and when it was finally my turn I stepped forward to go up to the counter and fell on the ground because I had no strength left in my knee all together.

Not sure if that's normal or due to not doing rehab (doctors said it was fine and healed), but whenever I have to stand for long periods or spend the day walking/dancing/clubbing whatever I get this nagging pain throughout the night that keeps me up.

Kaladin

Vince didn't get Matt Classic. He got the useless Colt Cabana and some of those Smackdown eggheads said they would give him a great gimmick.

That's still possibly the biggest failure of the WWE development and creative departments in recent memory. How do you not find something for a performer like Cabana?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's just about the only charisma Billy Graham had, as far as I can tell :p

Incidentally, I watched this video earlier from Memphis with Jerry Lawler going off on Jimmy Valiant;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99N62akUqM4

So not PC by today's standards, but damn, Lawler fucking clocked him with that slap at the end!

Hoo boy. Yknow the decline of Jimmy Valiant really bummed me out. When the guy was on steroids and was huge, he was a ton of fun, but it didn't translate to later in life when he would appear on Coliseum Home Video.

I did laugh at the comment "Darren Young, watch out"

Saw an old Owen Hart match yesterday where he led the crowd in chants of "faggot", that was disturbing to see. Sign of the times though.

That's still possibly the biggest failure of the WWE development and creative departments in recent memory. How do you not find something for a performer like Cabana?

Honestly, he doesn't have mainstream appeal.

Batigol

Banned
It's been like 8 or so years since it happened to me, so I might have blocked out some of the pain.

What did happen is that I was standing in line for over an hour about five years ago and when it was finally my turn I stepped forward to go up to the counter and fell on the ground because I had no strength left in my knee all together.

Not sure if that's normal or due to not doing rehab (doctors said it was fine and healed), but whenever I have to stand for long periods or spend the day walking/dancing/clubbing whatever I get this nagging pain throughout the night that keeps me up.

I passed out :lol

Have rehab next week so I best go to it I think.

You didn't dislocate again then? That's the one thing I'm terrified about

Kaladin

Honestly, he doesn't have mainstream appeal.

The Colt Cabana character wouldn't....the whole act wouldn't work with how WWE TV operates. But with a performer that talented, you have to be able to work with that and find something for him that fits in the product.

Aiii

So not worth it
I passed out :lol

Have rehab next week so I best go to it I think.

You didn't dislocate again then? That's the one thing I'm terrified about

I can imagine, my first instinct when I saw something sticking out of my leg was to call emergency services, instead of checking to see what actually happened, so they told the paramedics my lag was snapped in half (based on me saying "something is sticking out of my leg and I can't move it" heh). So I had to wait about 10 to 15 minutes for the ambulance to get to my house and I spend the entire time banging my head against the wall to distract myself from the pain. I had to hop on one leg to the front door and I'm still amazed I made it there and halfway back before giving up and sitting down on the stairs there.

But nope, didn't happen again, but I get what you mean, I dislocated it after trying to put my foot down after taking off a sock (don't even ask me how that happened, really, no clue), so for the first three years afterwards whenever I sat down or something I would literally put my hand on my knee to hold everything in place.

Batigol

Banned
I can imagine, my first instinct when I saw something sticking out of my leg was to call emergency services, instead of checking to see what actually happened, so they told the paramedics my lag was snapped in half (based on me saying "something is sticking out of my leg and I can't move it" heh). So I had to wait about 10 to 15 minutes for the ambulance to get to my house and I spend the entire time banging my head against the wall to distract myself from the pain. I had to hop on one leg to the front door and I'm still amazed I made it there and halfway back before giving up and sitting down on the stairs there.

But nope, didn't happen again, but I get what you mean, I dislocated it after trying to put my foot down after taking off a sock (don't even ask me how that happened, really, no clue), so for the first three years afterwards whenever I sat down or something I would literally put my hand on my knee to hold everything in place.

Thanks man. Reading this has really helped.

Hoping they give me an Austin knee brace so I can wear it unironically lol

Aiii

So not worth it
I do hope the second El Local on Smackdown this week was Sami, even though it was just to job that would be pretty cool of WWE. Doesn't hurt when he debuts either thanks to the mask.

Can't find any pictures or reports that don't say "It was Rodriguez and someone else." You would think someone would've noticed if the second guy had a red bears and Sami's build, so maybe it was just some other random jobber, like Camacho.

Top Bottom