• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I get a LOT of mileage out of that Strong Man picture.

strobogo

Banned
iKS5lnOpNTdrp.gif

When Sting's TNA tenure passes his WCW tenure, will we have to begin calling him a TNA legend?

GolazoDan

LOW-KI ロウ・キー セカイノ戦士 ‏@OneWorldWarrior 36m
Due to @alljapan_pw not honoring their contractual obligations of medical care after being injured in AJPW, I'm retiring from Pro Wrestling
Aaaaaaaahaha.

What he means is, nobody will book him.

strobogo

Banned
If you're a thief or curious about the Tanahashi vs Okada main event, Wrasslegaffer GolzaoDan has made it available. Seek it out if you like, support NJPW if you love it by buying the entire show.

I just don't get Okada. He does nothing for me. I don't get his charisma and he bores me. He feels like a guy who is playing a character who is charismatic as opposed to actually being charismatic. He's no Nak, that's for sure.

Kurt Angle is a TNA legend because he has been in TNA longer than the WWE. Crazy huh

Man, this is true, isn't it. Gross.

I don't get why Bootaaaay thinks he's better than Naito.

Naito just isn't on Tanahashi's level yet, Okada is. It's as simple as that. I'm interested to see how he does at the Tokyo Dome, though. This is his time to step up.

strobogo said:
He feels like a guy who is playing a character who is charismatic as opposed to actually being charismatic. He's no Nak, that's for sure.

It's more arrogance than charisma, although he seems to be doing better on the mic as of late (not that I can understand what he's saying, but the crowd seem to react to him better).

DKehoe

I just don't get Okada. He does nothing for me. I don't get his charisma and he bores me. He feels like a guy who is playing a character who is charismatic as opposed to actually being charismatic. He's no Nak, that's for sure.

He seems really good from what I've seen of him but I don't get why people think the Rainmaker is an amazing finisher.

I mark out for lariatoooooooooo~

He has a good one. Move is simple and easy to set up and gets you excited. A believable finisher with solid impact.

Ithil

He seems really good from what I've seen of him but I don't get why people think the Rainmaker is an amazing finisher.

They've protected it really well, it's always sold to the point that it looks great, and they make it hype as hell screaming RAINMAKAAAAAH when he hits it. It's all about the presentation and execution.

It has a lot of impact, it's easy to set up, but similarly is easy to counter so you get a lot of back and forth action surrounding its use. Pretty much the perfect finisher for the current New Japan style, either that or Anderson's Gun Stun.

iRLEo38qpSRHU.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm more amazed that Sunny marks for Okada when his build isn't even that great.

Nakamura's not as ripped as he used to be, but he's got those dancers legs. Naito's got big ass arms and legs even if he's not that defined. Okada looks like a teenage boy.

Of course, Shibata
and Yano
have the perfect builds.

somedevil

Angle still has a year to go to match his WWE time, but he'll probably get there.

Kurt Angle WWE:

April 11, 1999 to August 25 2006:

7 years 4 months

Kurt Angle TNA:

October 19 2006-Now

7 years.

Yeah he is over 4 months away from breaking his time in the WWE.

Okada is cool but I just hope they got his Ric Flair problem out of his system.

DKehoe

They've protected it really well, it's always sold to the point that it looks great, and they make it hype as hell screaming RAINMAKAAAAAH when he hits it. It's all about the presentation and execution.

It has a lot of impact, it's easy to set up, but similarly is easy to counter so you get a lot of back and forth action surrounding its use. Pretty much the perfect finisher for the current New Japan style, either that or Anderson's Gun Stun.

iRLEo38qpSRHU.gif

Yeh, I can see the advantages of it but a few times I;ve heard people say its the best finisher in the wrestling industry just now and I don't get that. Sometimes it just makes the finish a bit flat for me. Although maybe if I watch some more of his matches it will become more meaningful to me. As Ithil says the way a finisher is presented is really important.

Ithil

Yeh, I can see the advantages of it but a few times I;ve heard people say its the best finisher in the wrestling industry just now and I don't get that. Sometimes it just makes the finish a bit flat for me. Although maybe if I watch some more of his matches it will become more meaningful to me. As Ithil says the way a finisher is presented is really important.

The amazing flurry at the end of Tanahashi vs Okada with him trying to one-hit KO Tana with it through dodges should sell you on it. I just like one-hit KO finishers when they're protected as such (like Bryan's Busaiku Knee is right now, an instant KO if he hits it), it makes the match more exciting when you know that if he hits it, it's over, so every counter is amazing.

Much more drama in watching the struggle to hit it, than some boring finisher spam crap like Rock/Cena II. Same deal with submissions, I don't like the "lay in submission for 25 minutes, destroying your spine/arm/leg in kayfabe" stuff. The struggle to lock it in for the guaranteed win is more exciting.

When Cena picks someone up for the AA in a big match, and they slip off the back, is that exciting? Does it make you get pumped up or more engaged? Course it doesn't, since they'll probably kick out of three AA's in the match anyway. When Tanahashi ducked the Rainmaker and hit a move, it was exciting as hell.

Protect finishers and definitely protect finisher steals.

I really do like Okada, but I agree about his finisher. It's not that I think it's bad, cause wrestlers sell the shit out of it and so do the commentators. My problem with it is that his size doesn't make it look like it would be all that effective. Imagine if Brock was doing that shit. It would look incredible. I wouldn't give up the F5 for it, but just saying. I think that's why I always liked JBL's Clothesline from Hell, he has the size to make it look believable.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Okada is talented but needs to stop using Red Ink until it's smoother. Stick with makin' rain!

Why do I mark for Okada?

moneyo.gif

Okada is talented but needs to stop using Red Ink until it's smoother. Stick with makin' rain!

It looked good both times he used it against Tanahashi today, but he fluffed it against Kojima - definitely not the easiest submission to set up. I don't know why, but something about Okada's frame makes me think he could do with a bow & arrow sort of submission.

Sunflower said:
Why do I mark for Okada?

moneyo.gif

ibrxi0CXbTiyTR.gif

G-Fex

You saw that too? Man what an embarrassment.

I'm not smooth with the ladies either but reading that made me feel better about myself.

Selena Gomez thread? Yeah.

*REACTIONGIF REACTIONGIF REACTIONGIF*

I bet those guys in that thread are humping their monitors.

So embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It looked good both times he used it against Tanahashi today, but he fluffed it against Kojima - definitely not the easiest submission to set up. I don't know why, but something about Okada's frame makes me think he could do with a bow & arrow sort of submission.

Money recognizes money!

I haven't seen Okada v Tanahashi just yet. It's on the agenda tonight. Gotta get settled and get my MEAT READY TO EAT because

CARBS DON'T DO THIS

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, but Stan Hansen was 300+ pounds of pissed off, short-sighted Texan. They didn't call him The Unsinkable Battleship for any old reason.

iOcSBMwMQmeve.gif

Well, maybe Okada needs to start eating a lot of beef, drinking a lot of beer, and lifting heavy things instead of being a skinny fat ass with the smooth body of a 15 year old baseball player. He's a wrestler, god damn it.

GolazoDan

I'm more amazed that Sunny marks for Okada when his build isn't even that great.

Nakamura's not as ripped as he used to be, but he's got those dancers legs. Naito's got big ass arms and legs even if he's not that defined. Okada looks like a teenage boy.

Of course, Shibata
and Yano
have the perfect builds.
Okada =

Woo-Jin-Lee1.jpg

Don't mess with him.

But seriously Okada's awesome. If y'all don't get him that's cool but he clearly has something because look at how quickly he has become accepted as a main eventer. Since he returned there's been like one major show where he hasn't come across as a star and it was his very first show back, when he had a bad match with YOSHI-HASHI and everyone laughed at him for challenging Tanahashi to a title match. Go back and watch that YOSHI-HASHI match and compare that Okada to the current Okada. I watched it quite recently and it's frightening. He looked like a little scared boy playing pro wrestler. His moves didn't quite fit, his hair looked ridiculous. The Rainmaker finishing move wasn't even really the Rainmaker, it was a weird clothesline takedown instead of a lariat.

Naito hasn't fully clicked for me yet but we've seen this all before with Tanahashi and Nakamura. I know everyone loves Nakamura these days but remember when he was boring Mr. Strong Style? He did armbars and was less interesting than Tanahashi, who was in the process of getting stabbed with scissors at the time.

DKehoe

I really do like Okada, but I agree about his finisher. It's not that I think it's bad, cause wrestlers sell the shit out of it and so do the commentators. My problem with it is that his size doesn't make it look like it would be all that effective. Imagine if Brock was doing that shit. It would look incredible. I wouldn't give up the F5 for it, but just saying. I think that's why I always liked JBL's Clothesline from Hell, he has the size to make it look believable.

Yeh, I don't want it to sound like I think guys of Okada's size shouldn't be main eventers, since he absoulutely should. But I do think a move like that is less effective when someone of his size uses it compared to someone like a Stan Hansen. I also don't want to seem like I'm positioning myself as an expert in Japanese wrestling, I'm not in the slightest, is just my thoughts from having seen some of his matches. He is really talented though, amazing how TNA did nothing with him.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 5/6/99

Go home show for Slamboree.

Recap of last week's Nitro. Not the Nitro a few days ago, but the one a week and a half ago. I wonder why no one has mentioned Savage helping DDP win over and over. Goldberg didn't mention it, Flair didn't mention it, Nash didn't mention it. The announcers haven't even mentioned it unless it was actually happening in front of them.

DDP/Nash hype video.

WCW logo t-shirt ad.

Flair/Piper hype video.

Scotty Riggs/Mike Enos vs Raven/Saturn

WCW and their random tag teams. WCW should have had the working relationship with SWS/WAR. Saturn's shoulder is heavily taped. There were two Total Elimination variations. Both looked like shit. TBS's's's's's editing is so silly. A dude can't swivel his hips. SHOW IT FROM THE WAIST UP GOD DAMN IT! So dumb. It's the 50s on TBS. Oh shit, do you think Scotty Riggs adopting the hip swivel is what pushed Rick Rude over the edge? The jobber team got a ton of offense, probably too much offense considering Raven/Saturn were going into a tag title match in a few days. DVD on Riggs for the win.

iL7CkKXRk5swL.gif

Roddy Piper hype video. Then a long recap of Piper booking Sting/DDP, then that match.

Rick Steiner vs Erik Watts

Rick is very grumpy suddenly. He keeps fighting with Booker, but no one knows why. This was an extended squash that Rick won with his new submission.

Recap of the 4 corners match 2 weeks ago on Nitro. Right after this (which was long), they do a Goldberg/Sting hype video, the bulk of which was clips from the 4 corners match.

George/Lil Naitch hype video.

Brian Adams/Horace vs Disorderly Conduct

Lol, Thunder. B Team won with a spike piledriver.

Kanyon vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

Kanyon's back! Larry laments the fact that he could have been in The Hills Have Eyes and then gone on to be Freddy Krueger. There will be no Nitro or Thunder next week. Probably for the best. Rey's speed confuses Kanyon and sends him to the floor. Kanyon's size comes into play when he drops Rey's spinning bullshit throat first on the ropes. Second rope leg drop. Running backbreaker from Kanyon. It goes to the floor for a bit. Diving rana from the apron. Kanyon gets back into it with a sit out dominator. Kanyon misses a moonsault. The Horsemen run in, but since Rey hit them, the match continued. Victory roll for the win. The Horsemen then try to destroy Rey's leg by putting it against the ring post and dropkicking the steps into them. Kidman was away doing a personal appearance in Ohio.

iIs9y0quhV5Rv.gif

Texas Hangmen vs Dean Malekno/Chris Benoit

Horsemen destroy these dudes. Lots and lots of leg work. Not sure who the Hangmen were. They looked like Villanos, but why bother using the Hangmen gimmick for guys that already have their own masks?

DDP/Nash hype video.

Recap of the Savage/Flair/Robinson/George confrontation. Then a recap of Flair vs DDP. This was the main event and actually promoted as such. A recap package.

DQ Count
: 0 out of 5 matches.

Announced card for Slamboree:

DDP vs Kevin Nash WCW Championship
Goldberg vs Sting
Ric Flair vs Roddy Piper for control of WCW
Gorgeous George vs Charles Robinson If George wins, Savage is reinstated (even though he already is and has wrestled on TV twice since the match was made)
Chris Benoit/Dean Malenko vs Raven/Saturn vs Kidman/Rey Mysterio Jr. WCW Tag Team Championships
Scott Steiner vs Buff Bagwell WCW US Championship
Rick Steiner vs Booker T. WCW TV Championship
Stevie Ray vs Konnan
Brian Knobs vs Bam Bam Big Yellow King of Hardcore

Top Bottom