• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think anyone has kicked out of Tokyo Pimps either
iS8ohMpPkDReC.gif

Anyways, Okada needs to be a face and Naito needs to be a heel. and Yano needs to wrestle joshis

Survives being in the ring with Kawada*

*post-2002 Kawada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqZviI9XWk

Dragonzord said:
Anyways, Okada needs to be a face and Naito needs to be a heel. and Yano needs to wrestle joshis

I agree with all of this - Okada's a de-facto face anyway, Naito always seems a step away from going heel and it's a pity Yano & Yujiro are in the same stable, as Yano terrorizing Yujiro's ring girls would be pretty good.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think anyone has kicked out of Tokyo Pimps either
iS8ohMpPkDReC.gif

He's a Kanyon mark. Kanyon was doing that shit in 1999 on the regs.

What the fuck, Microsoft makes you pay if you want to change your gamer tag?

GolazoDan

The heel/face divide in New Japan isn't really a thing to be honest, unless you're the Bullet Club. And I'm pretty sure Karl Anderson was a face in some of his G1 matches too. The G1 Tag League is the only time I remember some of these guys are in the same stable. Nakamura, Okada and Ishii are all babyfaces and are in the same group as Yujiro, Iizuka and YOSHI-HASHI who are heels and I have no idea what the fuck Yano is, except a DVD selling machine.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I agree with all of this - Okada's a de-facto face anyway, Naito always seems a step away from going heel and it's a pity Yano & Yujiro are in the same stable, as Yano terrorizing Yujiro's ring girls would be pretty good.

I honestly forgot Takahashi was in CHAOS until that picture got posted earlier. I think if Naito went heel, he'd be buddies with Yujiro again, so that could be a way to get Yujiro out of CHAOS.

I could see Yano going to WNC and stealing Syuri's title and having a showdown with Tsubasa.

Striker

Much more drama in watching the struggle to hit it, than some boring finisher spam crap like Rock/Cena II. Same deal with submissions, I don't like the "lay in submission for 25 minutes, destroying your spine/arm/leg in kayfabe" stuff. The struggle to lock it in for the guaranteed win is more exciting.

When Cena picks someone up for the AA in a big match, and they slip off the back, is that exciting? Does it make you get pumped up or more engaged? Course it doesn't, since they'll probably kick out of three AA's in the match anyway. When Tanahashi ducked the Rainmaker and hit a move, it was exciting as hell.

Protect finishers and definitely protect finisher steals.
I think that's been an issue with WWE as a whole for the past 15 or so years. Austin-Rock had a lot of Stunner and Rock Bottom's, each guy stole the other person's finisher few times as well. It's still remembered as a great contest regardless. Then there's finishers like Big Shoe's Chokeslam, Angle's Olympic Slam, and Jericho's Walls of Jericho that are basically being signature moves anymore, or moves that just beat lower card guys rather than wins that allowed them to win a main event match. I just look back in the earlier days of WWF when I first began watching, it felt like once a guy hit his finisher, you knew it was over due to the protection they got from them, and the commentary sell for it. You won't be surprised to see somebody kick out of a GTS or something, which is kind of lame.

Ithil

The heel/face divide in New Japan isn't really a thing to be honest, unless you're the Bullet Club. And I'm pretty sure Karl Anderson was a face in some of his G1 matches too. The G1 Tag League is the only time I remember some of these guys are in the same stable. Nakamura, Okada and Ishii are all babyfaces and are in the same group as Yujiro, Iizuka and YOSHI-HASHI who are heels and I have no idea what the fuck Yano is, except a DVD selling machine.

Plus they switch back and forth depending on the match. Okada was total babyface against Prince Devitt in the G1, but was heel against Satoshi Kojima. Even Tanahashi worked heel against Ishii in the G1, and definitely was heelish against Okada today, and he's the top face.

I think they more have characters and not so much alignments. Except Bullet Club, they're heel as heel. They'reAmerican style heel actually, which makes them unique in NJPW.
I think NXT has a few elements of the "character over alignment" deal NJPW has. Just elements though, there's still good guys and bad guys, it's just more fluid and less "faces love your local sports team, heels dislike your local cuisine".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since Kobashi's retired, I think taking Shibata's kicks should be the new 'taking machine gun chops' spot.
i.gif

I'da loved to see Shibata wrestle Umaga

GolazoDan

I think that's been an issue with WWE as a whole for the past 15 or so years. Austin-Rock had a lot of Stunner and Rock Bottom's, each guy stole the other person's finisher few times as well. It's still remembered as a great contest regardless. Then there's finishers like Big Shoe's Chokeslam, Angle's Olympic Slam, and Jericho's Walls of Jericho that are basically being signature moves anymore, or moves that just beat lower card guys rather than wins that allowed them to win a main event match. I just look back in the earlier days of WWF when I first began watching, it felt like once a guy hit his finisher, you knew it was over due to the protection they got from them, and the commentary sell for it. You won't be surprised to see somebody kick out of a GTS or something, which is kind of lame.
To be fair there's always been finishers like that. The Perfect Plex does the biz against some scrub but bonafide main eventers were like nah mate, kicking out of this shit.

Striker

To be fair there's always been finishers like that. The Perfect Plex does the biz against some scrub but bonafide main eventers were like nah mate, kicking out of this shit.
Mr. Perfect is a great example, perhaps more heels were like that in the early stages. They often won by a foreign object, DQ or countout. Flair's Figure Four similar to that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
whooooooooooooooooof just finished Okada v Tanahashi, skipped to it without watching the undercard.

I need to let that marinate in the brain. That was like, 40 minutes of some fantastic fucking wrestling.

gurudyne

Catching up with the thread, noticed a lot of references to the friendzone thread. What the fuck is it about communicating with the opposite gender that brings out the worst (either in terms of vile shit or cringe-so-hard-my-jaw-locked-up) in Gaf users? Also, has the advent of social networking destroyed all notions of personal shame? Why would you do this thing and then, when reality ensues, why would you drag it to light? Repeatedly? Part of me hopes this is some 12 year old kid from a really awkward or repressed background.

To top it all off, it's Monday night and RAW is still on. I need some semblance of hope after that. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Ric Flair or Randy Savage match to YouTube when RAW craps out?

DMczaf

Oh, shit we got a stable name.

"How will 'The Authority' unleash their anger on Raw?"

How did The Authority allow someone who does not work for WWE to enter the ring with a Titantron and theme music?

If I jumped out of the crowd and went to the ring, do I get a Titantron and theme music?

Still the best striker on the WWE roster...I know, that's not saying much.

there's a severe lack of strikers in the WWE today.

also, goddamn, the more i look at the pictures the more i want Miyata to head to NJPW. shame's he fights at 145lb, look at these shoot germans:

miyata-inoue.gif

6.gif

better than Angle.

strobogo

Banned
Catching up with the thread, noticed a lot of references to the friendzone thread. What the fuck is it about communicating with the opposite gender that brings out the worst (either in terms of vile shit or cringe-so-hard-my-jaw-locked-up) in Gaf users? Also, has the advent of social networking destroyed all notions of personal shame? Why would you do this thing and then, when reality ensues, why would you drag it to light? Repeatedly? Part of me hopes this is some 12 year old kid from a really awkward or repressed background.

To top it all off, it's Monday night and RAW is still on. I need some semblance of hope after that. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Ric Flair or Randy Savage match to YouTube when RAW craps out?

Savage vs Flair GAB 1995. My favorite of all their matches together.

strobogo

Banned
Right after WM, D-Bryne was LAYING in those kicks and elbows. I think they told him to ease up. He was knocking the shit out of everyone for a while and then suddenly was going half speed with them once he was working with Orton regularly the first time.

Bear in mind, this is Ki's second retirement this year. From a June Wrestling Observer;

Brandon Sylvestry, who has worked for ROH (as Low Ki), TNA (Low Ki/Senshi) and WWE (Kaval) has been telling promoters looking to book him that he has retired from wrestling. He is 33.

Word is that Sylvestry has moved onto a new career, doing voice-overs and voice acting.

Top Bottom