• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

G-Fex

YOU SHUT UP!

SHUT UP!

I HATE YOU!

I WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN!

*SLAMS DOOR*

Wow you really are becoming AJ.

I'm so proud of you.

Tell you guys what, If you're extra nice to me I'll uh...cast a little Wrestlemania X8, or maybe some Day of Reckoning 1 or 2

Is WMX8 the one where you can play as nWo guys but not their music?

Yeah, there was a lot of missing music in that game, specifically the people who had just come over from WCW. The nWo, the Hardy Boys, Booker T, and Ric Flair I remember had fake music. Flair had his old 1991-1993 WWF music.

strobogo

Banned
Does anyone have the .gif of Doug Dilenger and the WCW security running towards the camera?

iqBaU0eWnZ9sJ.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got a good wrestling game.

It was called WWE All Stars, and it was awesome. I wish WWE Brawl came out just because it was the kind of stupid WWE idea I could get behind.
cenabrawl.jpg

G-Fex

That Wrestlefest remake is never happening, right? Or did it come out with zero fanfare?

it was supposed to come out on steam early this year wasn't it?

I'd say it's DEAD.

I remember a gaffer said his friend brought over the beta and it was downright horrible.

and yeah Day of reckoning got old quick too. As did HCTP

strobogo

Banned
I thought Wrestlefest came out on iOS devices only and was garbage. It was supposed to go on PSN/Live as well and it never happened. How hard is it to fuck that game up?

strobogo

Banned
Bulldog was a decent guy who was capable of good or even great, depending on how good his opponent was. Warlord was not that guy, and he was so muscle bound that he could barely move. Those Bulldog/Warlord matches I for real used to go to sleep as a kid. I had 3 different CHV tapes that had a match with them on it. It would put me to sleep.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kinda happy I grew up on New Japan and WCW and only got to see WWF around 98 onwards.

Not sure I'd been a wrestling fan if I started with early 90s WWF instead.

strobogo

Banned
If you were watching it as a kid in the early 90s, I think you would have. I a lot of it isn't super fun if you don't have some nostalgia for it. But there is a lot of garbage in every era of every company. Can't really avoid it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Early 90s WCW was pretty crappy

Sure, they had great guys like Flair, Rude, Vader, the Steiner Bros, Steamboat, and even Sting and Luger. But they also had a bunch of bland guys inbetween. And their storylines are SO dull for the most part. Like, oh my god.

Hasney

That Wrestlefest remake is never happening, right? Or did it come out with zero fanfare?

I had it on iOS. It... Wasn't good. Think the ports died with THQ.

It felt serviceable at first, then when you started realising the move sets were just thrown together and some guys didn't even have their finisher, it was time to call it a day.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, early 90s WCW had some GREAT in ring stuff with the Dangerous Alliance, Dustin, Barry, Steamboat, Sting, Flair, Vader, Cactus, but also had some of the worst stuff in the US. The Awesome Kongs, the Godwinns, Erik Watts, The Equalizer, the Native American guy. Even the best of promotions have some garbage, but I'm not sure there was ever a promotion that had such a gap in talent ranges from the lower card and upper/main events than WCW had in 1991-1993.

One of my favorite things about pre-Hogan WCW was Ron Simmons turning into an absolute dick heel against The Cole Twins and Ice Train and then just totally disappearing.

Kaladin

On one hand, I think I want 2k14 just because it is what it is, and then I go and watch gameplay and see flaws in the game that they still fail to fix. Fuck Yukes.

strobogo

Banned
I think the Smackdown games are fun, because I haven't expected anything out of them for 10 years. I have a lot of fun with them for a month or two every year. Just not worth the $60. I'm totally fine buying it on sale for $30 or under. I end usually end up doing the superstar threads shit as some kind of meditation after a while.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have fun with them. Granted, I have fun playing them exclusively with my brother and we've been playing them since the first one. But we have fun even if we have to create our own rules sometimes. Like we do Universe mode and do a 'draft' so one person doesn't have to do every single card.

It's pretty fun. I wish the games would get better, but it's not like they're mind numbingly awful like WCW Nitro/Thunder.

Toki767

I'm of the belief it'll hit $30 by Black Friday next month. I usually played the old Smackdown games everyday for a month or two 10 years ago. Then once I missed a day of playing I never really touched the games again. I played last year for a week and got bored. Luckily I got it for $25 and traded it in for $30.

Maybe next year if 2K actually makes their own game. I feel like they won't though.

bjork

I think the last Smackdown game I bought was the one with Vince's face on the cover? I just remember it had Bret and that was a big deal at the time. So I played a casket match as Bret v. Hurricane, and after waffling Hufficane with a shovel for like ten minutes and his entire body icon was red, he managed to stuff me in the coffin anyway. Fuck those games.

WCW/nWo Revenge 40-man TKO only battle royales... 4 lyfe

Aiii

So not worth it
So, just for shits and giggles I looked up the Win/Loss record for the entire WWE run of Aksana.

It's 7-42.

AJ's at 45-36.

lol

AJ LEE
GAME RATING: 77

AKSANA
GAME RATING: 78

They do this alot though, it's one of the major issues I have with Yukes WWE game, everyone has a high rating regardless. Why even have a 100 point ratings system if you only use the top 25 points anyways? It's like they're reviewing video games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the last Smackdown game I bought was the one with Vince's face on the cover? I just remember it had Bret and that was a big deal at the time. So I played a casket match as Bret v. Hurricane, and after waffling Hufficane with a shovel for like ten minutes and his entire body icon was red, he managed to stuff me in the coffin anyway. Fuck those games.

WCW/nWo Revenge 40-man TKO only battle royales... 4 lyfe

Come on, dude. Gimmick matches in all games suck. They sucked in No Mercy too. The stupid ladder shit was so broken. The only gimmick matches I ever had fun with in a wrestling game was the Elimination Chamber matches.

If I'm playing the WWE games with my long time friends who I've played wrestling games with since WWF RAW and Wrestlemania The Arcade Game in the mid '90s, I'm okay, but I can no longer stomach the Yukes games if I'm playing alone. I just don't like how they feel. I always thought AKI had better move animations and striking, and nothing's changed in over a decade. I don't even buy the games anymore. Last time I did was only because Amazon had it for $30 on Black Friday.

Even if 2K took over development, I'm still not sure if the games will be good. The golden era of wrestling games is long gone, and I don't think it'll ever come back.

Come on, dude. Gimmick matches in all games suck. They sucked in No Mercy too. The stupid ladder shit was so broken. The only gimmick matches I ever had fun with in a wrestling game was the Elimination Chamber matches.

So wrong, bruh. Triple Threat Tag Ladder matches were all I played with friends in the Smackdown + Smackdown vs. Raw games that featured the match type. Complete insanity with matches that would range anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Then they took the match type out and I gradually became less interested in the series. The core gameplay can't stand up on its own.

strobogo

Banned
I had fun with hardcore matches in those 1 or 2 games where you could jump off of buildings and flying helicopters. I think it was HCTP and the one right after it. There were so many backstage areas with wacky environmental grapples. I really wish the backstage brawls now didn't end in KOs. You never get to test out all the environmental stuff because guys are dead after two or three of them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could get that same quality match with a simple triple threat with three people.

I remember my brother and my friend doing a triple threat with Ultimo Dragon vs William Regal vs Jazz that went like 45 minutes on HCTP

I remember being so fucking hyped for WCW Nitro on the PS1 and it turned out to be a huge piece of shit. Everyone had the same moves. Although I must admit, I did get some humor out of being able to do a hurricanrana as Kevin Nash on Rey Mysterio. And being able to powerbomb The Giant as Rey Mysterio.

I could get that same quality match with a simple triple threat with three people.

I remember my brother and my friend doing a triple threat with Ultimo Dragon vs William Regal vs Jazz that went like 45 minutes on HCTP

I can vividly remember basic triple threats, tag matches, fatal 4 ways, and special guest ref matches from the AKI titles I had in multiplayer like 10 years ago, but the Smackdown series never had good enough gameplay to support basic matches IMO. The reversal system was very simple and boring, the match flow was non-existent, and momentum shifts felt few and far between. I needed weapons and gimmick matches to spice those games up.

RIP In Peace Triple Threat Tag Ladder Match

Jamie OD

Came out on iOS to negetive fanfare when people found out the game looked and played nothing like the original and also a bunch of stuff was cut off for DLC.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just make a F2P King of Colosseum 3. And you can buy the wrestlers you want. I can buy Shinskee and then pay an extra dollar to unlock lipstick red pants shinskee and another dollar to unlock generic old shinskee

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ricky Steamboat is the quintessential babyface of wrestling. Forget Hogan. Even when Steamboat's fighting guys I like I want Steamboat to win.

bjork

I remember playing Raw 2 on xbox and making myself in it. Only gave myself moves I could realistically do, so nothing beyond holds and cheap shit. Got Victoria as my manager and then got up to some ladder match where I was hanging from the belt and my opponent ran back and forth for like 15 minutes before I finally gave up. That was the most broken I've seen.

Another thing I remember from WCW Nitro PS1 was Sting cutting a verbal promo while in the crow gimmick. The game came out in February 1997, well after he stopped talking so that shook me pretty legitmately.

Ithil

Tanahashi and Ishii just spent an entire tag match, and five minutes after the match, elbowing each other in the face, at the NJPW show. They were separated about four times and still went back for more.

Tanahashi and Ishii just spent an entire tag match, and five minutes after the match, elbowing each other in the face, at the NJPW show. They were separated about four times and still went back for more.

Yeah, that was pretty damn awesome, turned an average Iizuka CHAOS match into something entertaining. Looks like we'll be getting a Tanahashi vs Ishii rematch at some point.

Top Bottom