• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

Honestly, Punk "going corporate" and being the indie darling the New Corporation use to try and steal Bryan's thunder is about the only thing I think Punk can do to remain truly relevant, at this point. He's done everything else of consequence in the company, but him headlining Mania as a corporate heel could certainly draw some buys, if undergirded by, say, Cena vs.Taker or HHH, Bork vs. Taker or Rock (if they can get him), etc.

Also, fuck Meltzer's anti-Punk bias. Even if it's true that Punk doesn't draw PPV buys, that's no real reason why he couldn't draw ratings on his own. Could just be that Punk fans are not generally the type who would pay money for WWE PPVs, regardless, no? Smarky know-it-alls who'll just find a pirate stream?

G-Fex

I was watching 2010 tonight and I wonder a far greater thing than what is the monolith.

What is the genesis of Mcguillicutty?

That Giant Swing;

ixF2gWOZSegkd.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3h9Y1v-jUo

Also, making smileys is hard, I give up;

5BkEscB.png

JEEEZUS!

BULLET CLUB are money;

2yl4atC.jpg

From the Observer;

The company announced its new officers after Takaaki Kidani resigned as Chairman of the Board. Naoki Sugabayashi, the longtime company president, is now the Chairman. Kaname Tezuka, an executive from Bushiroad, is the new company president. Kaoru Migumo and Michiaki Nishizawa are Directors and Jyunjy Iwasaki is the financial officer. It’s notable that not one former wrestler is in senior management and Sugabayashi is the only one with years of experience in wrestling. Nishizawa was a translator for the company. Tezuka, like Kidani, are trying to expand the brand overseas, which is going to be very difficult because Japanese culture doesn’t export well. The two markets they are looking at is the U.S., where they have no chance, and Singapore, where they already have their TV broadcast in English. They are also looking at getting into Europe and Southeast Asia. He said their goal is to increase revenue to $100 million annually, and to run shows not only at the Tokyo Dome, but at every major Dome in Japan in 2015. For the first three quarters of the year, New Japan’s profits are up 500% from 2012.

I've watched all of it but the main event so far. Shinsuke vs Shelton was pretty good, their best match yet and I really enjoyed Tanaka vs Naito. Really should get round to watching Kojima vs Okada already.

An interesting note from the Observer;

"[Wrestle Kingdom VII is] the only iPPV show from any promotion in history to crack the 100,000 mark for buys."

Also, Kojima separated his shoulder and will be out of action for at least 2 months, but it could be a lot longer as the injury is worse than feared. Tenzan returns at the next iPPV and they were supposed to wrestle KES, but now Takaaki Watanabe will take Kojima's place. No word on what will happen to the tag titles, but I'd guess they'll be vacated ahead of the World Tag League in December. Watanabe should do well, it's his last match as a young lion, as he'll soon be heading on an excursion to the US.

*edit, Jesus, All Japan are screwed - they can't even fill Differ Ariake when they're giving away tickets!

All Japan ran a 9/27 show at Differ Ariake, a 1,500 seat arena, with admission free. The idea was to get new fans to sample the product as a good will gesture and make them into paying spectators. That marketing can work in theory, but often doesn’t. It didn’t here, as even with a three-match card that featured most of the company’s best wrestlers, they only drew 300 fans.

Shibata vs Funaki? Yes please;

Katsuyori Shibata announced that he’s trying to gain weight from his current 198 pounds to 220, so he can be a legitimate heavyweight. Right now due to his weight, he’s technically a junior heavyweight. Shibata also talked about wanting to either wrestle with or against Masakatsu Funaki, which if so, would more likely happen in Wrestle-1.

Orton vs Punk at Mania?

There is an Orton vs. Punk pitch as the WWE title match for Mania. That’s a destination to end up at. Not sure how they get there.

Henry, 42, has signed a new three-year contract through 2016. No word at this point as to when he’ll be returning to television

With the low rating on 9/30, people are already speculating if that means rushing Vince McMahon back to television. The plan was to keep Vince off TV until some time in November before they took the next step in the big picture storyline.

Good, anything to take the complete focus off of Mr. H's and his wife.

Sheamus has no return date right now after his shoulder surgery past a target date of the first quarter of 2014.

We got a report that the original script for the 9/23 Raw had Ziggler in the spot RVD was where he was going to get destroyed by Orton first and then come out and get destroyed by The Shield in the ten-man. At some point the spot was changed for RVD having to do with his not signing a new contract.

The Ishikawa who is teaching at Marella’s Battlarts Gym is in fact Yuki Ishikawa, the former head of the old Battlarts pro wrestling promotion, and a protege of Yoshiaki Fujiwara. Fujiwara was Karl Gotch’s best student.

There are some cryptic tweets that WWE has been sending which are designed to build for a McFarlane Toys product involving Undertaker that is being released.

If you think something is different about Dusty Rhodes on Raw compared to everyone else, it’s because when he’s out there, the script is gone. Dusty goes out there on his promos and knows what he’s doing in an angle (he did ramble on in his first promo but due to the delivery and what he said when he got to the point it still was more effective than 95% of WWE interviews). But he did cut off Stephanie instead of letting Stephanie do the making the face look like a wimp thing she does with most talent. On 9/30, the face palm on Stephanie when she started talking like he was blowing her off, which if you watch it looked like Stephanie had no idea was coming, that was actually the case. And she was not happy about it. Since it’s Dusty, it’s not like he can be buried with being booked to lose a bunch of matches now.

Bwahaha, Stephanie is awful.

Ryback vs Goldberg, does anyone want to see this?

Evidently, Ryback expects to face Bill Goldberg at WrestleMania this year. When talking about the Goldberg chants that are getting louder at his matches, he blamed them on the WWE web site mentioning the comparison, claiming they didn’t happen until an article appeared on the site. “It’s something that never bothers me, but I’m a man of my own identity and eventually the people that keep chanting it, there going to make me a lot of money because I’m going to have to beat him eventually. We’ll get him back and I’ll beat him.”

The free download of the week over at IVP is a pretty great one this time around;

Best of the Steiner Brothers in Japan - volume 1

• The Steiners vs. Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki
  • The Steiners vs. Big Van Vader & Bam Bam Bigelow
  • The Steiners vs. Shinya Hashimoto & Masahiro Chono
  • The Steiners vs. Tony Halme & Scott Norton
  • The Steiners vs. Jushin Liger & Kensuke Sasaki
  • The Steiners vs. Hiroshi Hase & Keiji Muto
  • The Steiners vs.Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Masahiro Chono
  • The Steiners & Scott Norton vs. The Road Warriors & Kensuke Sasaki

strobogo

Banned
In weird wrestling related dreams:

I had one where I guess I was IRS, who would be revealed as Bray Wyatt's father, but instead of a tax man, he was a Killer Clown. He also liked peach marmalade (fucking gross) and potatoes/carrots for breakfast.

Also, there is about to be someone new named Virgil who is going to get BURIED for that gif. Oh, Dusty. Either that or his kids are about to get humiliated even if they had been scheduled to defeat Shield.

The free download of the week over at IVP is a pretty great one this time around;

Best of the Steiner Brothers in Japan - volume 1

• The Steiners vs. Big Van Vader & Bam Bam Bigelow
  • The Steiners vs. Shinya Hashimoto & Masahiro Chono
  • The Steiners vs. Tony Halme & Scott Norton
  • The Steiners vs. Jushin Liger & Kensuke Sasaki
  • The Steiners vs. Hiroshi Hase & Keiji Muto
  • The Steiners vs.Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Masahiro Chono
  • The Steiners & Scott Norton vs. The Road Warriors & Kensuke Sasaki

downloading now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A slew of great posts by Bootaaay. Keep the hits coming. All that NJPW news is great. Especially the Wrestle Kingdom VII and 500% news.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd rather Goldberg not be used for Ryback's benefit. Ryback isn't going anywhere special and I don't really see him going anywhere in the future either.

I'd much rather see Goldberg put over Big E, if it has to be a young big guy. I see more parallels between Goldberg and Big E than Goldberg and Ryback. Big E is much more athletic and legit strong than Ryback is. If it's not Big E, then I'd like to see him put over Reigns, they can have a pass the torch moment too after Reigns wins, where he gets the Jackhammer from Goldberg.

Yeah, come to think of it, Reigns vs. Goldberg would be something I'd love to see.

Ithil

Glad to see NJPW starting a boom period. It's doing amazing work right now and deserves all the success it can get.

Kaladin

I'd rather Goldberg not be used for Ryback's benefit. Ryback isn't going anywhere special and I don't really see him going anywhere in the future either.

I'd much rather see Goldberg put over Big E, if it has to be a young big guy. I see more parallels between Goldberg and Big E than Goldberg and Ryback. Big E is much more athletic and legit strong than Ryback is. If it's not Big E, then I'd like to see him put over Reigns, they can have a pass the torch moment too after Reigns wins, where he gets the Jackhammer from Goldberg.

Yeah, come to think of it, Reigns vs. Goldberg would be something I'd love to see.

Problem is, you couldn't have Goldberg wrestle again and NOT do a program with Ryback. You can blame the smarks for that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Problem is, you couldn't have Goldberg wrestle again and NOT do a program with Ryback. You can blame the smarks for that.

But they're only chanting Goldberg because they tried to make Ryback the new Goldberg. And they probably won't shut up even if Ryback beats Goldberg either.

:(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So good to hear those NJPW numbers. I know some of our people here also have bought in to NJPW and are enjoying it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, making smileys is hard, I give up;

5BkEscB.png

JEEEZUS!

Okay good - I'm glad it's not just me. I can do them but they're a pain in the ass - wondered if that was just part of my "I'm not good at things I do" problem or if they were legit tough.

In THAT case, I'm going to work on smileys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tired of waiting for an excuse to post this smiley. It's one of my favorites.
juQTgdwmgZASq_e.jpg

Hey guys! it's been a while! haha

I dont know if we can or not, if we cant i'll take it down.

But me and my friends have started a weekly show where we discuss the weekly wrestling shows and give our thoughts and predictions etc... I would love if y'all could check it out! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInw_QV7dS4

Please feel free to let me know what we could do better, things that you like or didnt like. Would love to have some of you as a special guest as well to share your thoughts and opinions! Thanks guys!

jmdajr

Last night show was excellent. Looked like Mick had a good time and the crowd was great. On the way out I bumped into MVP.

It kind of went like this

yeah, it was cool!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Super dope Gary Hart and Fritz Von Erich promo. Those two hated each other in the middle of this. All 1 of you who would be interested in this will really like it. Man I love Gary Hart.

Goddamn Fritz's chin is so fuckin cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmazgowme5o

Wow they have the move that best john cena in there.

Also that roster makes this game tempting

Also tanahashi is the MVP I new japan this year. Dude ha even great all year

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I find Tanahashi to be vanilla and boring some of the time, his performance is unparalleled. Possibly my Wrassler of the Year. He comes through in incredible fashion.

Tanahashi

As much as I find Tanahashi to be vanilla and boring some of the time, his performance is unparalleled. Possibly my Wrassler of the Year. He comes through in incredible fashion.

DAMN YOU BOTH TO HELL

I will never respect a man who can't even finish some of the first stage in Sasuke

He didn't even make it to the Warped Wall ffs!

Nakamura could destroy the rest of the roster based on his charisma power levels alone.

This is even more hilarious in retrospect, considering until a few years ago he was completely devoid of it and was just super submission lanky bastard man

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
DAMN YOU BOTH TO HELL

I will never respect a man who can't even finish some of the first stage in Sasuke

He didn't even make it to the Warped Wall ffs!

Got a link for that? All I can find is a nude man doing Sasuke.

Ithil

Nakamura could destroy the rest of the roster based on his charisma power levels alone.

Plus no finisher is more hype than the Boma Ye

imyJTjI5oJSkW.gif

Except maybe the Rainmaker. Bryan's Boma Yes is close, too.

Also, fuck Meltzer's anti-Punk bias. Even if it's true that Punk doesn't draw PPV buys, that's no real reason why he couldn't draw ratings on his own. Could just be that Punk fans are not generally the type who would pay money for WWE PPVs, regardless, no? Smarky know-it-alls who'll just find a pirate stream?

I'm not even sure what his problem is. It's not like he dislikes Punk, he regularly praises him as one of the best mic workers in the world, commends all his matches as a tremendous worker, considers the Punk/Heyman feud to be possibly the best of the year, etc. Just when it comes to ratings and buyrates, he's super down on Punk for some reason.

Top Bottom