• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Switched to 72Hz refresh rate in the Oculus App and lowered the res. Then I launched the game in Oculus Mode+Link Cable instead of SteamVR+Virtual Desktop. Instead of 720p, it now has 1080p resolution. Performance was wayyy better, so I went back to the Oculus App and raised res back to 1x, then raised a bunch of settings in the game like x16AF and track detail. Other options are locked. Plays much better now and feels great. Not perfection, but no stuttering and 720p like last time.

I don't know what happened that last time. I launched from in Virtual Desktop/SteamVR. Maybe I was having a network issue or Virtual Desktop doesn't work well with this game and my setup? More testing to do at some point, but right now I'm happy it's functional.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Switched to 72Hz refresh rate in the Oculus App and lowered the res. Then I launched the game in Oculus Mode+Link Cable instead of SteamVR+Virtual Desktop. Instead of 720p, it now has 1080p resolution. Performance was wayyy better, so I went back to the Oculus App and raised res back to 1x, then raised a bunch of settings in the game like x16AF and track detail. Other options are locked. Plays much better now and feels great. Not perfection, but no stuttering and 720p like last time.

I don't know what happened that last time. I launched from in Virtual Desktop/SteamVR. Maybe I was having a network issue or Virtual Desktop doesn't work well with this game and my setup? More testing to do at some point, but right now I'm happy it's functional.
This was a primary reason why I got the original Oculus Quest. It’s going to be my primary PCVR driver. The Q2 has 50% more pixels then the Q1 which really helps with PC performance but on the other hand there is screen door but to honest your brain tends to filter that out when you’ve been playing for a while.

Finally the blacks on the Q1 are awesome being OLED. Fantastic for games like Half Life Alyx.

Last edited:

faraany3k

Banned
Do you know if that affects resolution JUST for Quest 2 games or also for Link cable/Virtual Desktop games?

It will reduce the resolution for Oculus and SteamVR both.

Quest 2 default resolution is way to high to handle for even 2080. Only the top of line 3070/3080 can support it.

a question for those here who would know: is a pc with a nvidia 970 gtx powerful enough to run games with decent/acceptable performance and image quality (with Quest 2 hardware)?
Depends a lot on your CPU as well. I have a ryzen 3600 and a GTX 970, I can play Half Life Alyx pretty well at the lowest settings. Not perfect, it does stutter.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I may buy the latest standalone one. How large are the games? Is there a compelling reason to go with 256GB over 64GB if I only intend on playing one game at a time? I mean's only a $100 dollars more so it seems like a no brainer, but just thought I'd ask.

Moochi

I may buy the latest standalone one. How large are the games? Is there a compelling reason to go with 256GB over 64GB if I only intend on playing one game at a time? I mean's only a $100 dollars more so it seems like a no brainer, but just thought I'd ask.
The games are rarely bigger than 6 gigs. 64 is plenty for me.

Foilz

Banned
App lab makes no sense. They should have just opened a tab in the store for early access games and everything that's on side quest would just plop right over. Cherry picking the apps they did is stupid

Foilz

Banned
I have 11 oculus games ,netflix,amazon prime, youtube, and 13 games from side quest installed with 20 gigs of free space on my 64 gig quest available

OnionSnake

Banned
Loving my quest 2 especially wirelessly with virtual desktop. Every game I’ve tried so far works great no issues, except Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin. It runs at a very low resolution and the controls are all fucked up. If I switch to link cable it works fine but I’d prefer to go wireless. Any suggestions?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
People who are facing performance issues, reduce the resolution from the Oculus software.

I’ll be honest, I’m new to all this VR but, I get lost in all the layers of resolutions tweaking. Feels like there’s a resolution in oculus app for the link stream, then in the oculus link environment, then you open steam VR and again there’s more resolutions.. I mean wtf

Sleepwalker

So, can i still get asgard's wrath if I activated my oculus during the promo time but have not redeemed it?

Also any recommendations on a cover for it? I've been using some workout apps but the foam really does get sweaty and disgusting.

I’ll be honest, I’m new to all this VR but, I get lost in all the layers of resolutions tweaking. Feels like there’s a resolution in oculus app for the link stream, then in the oculus link environment, then you open steam VR and again there’s more resolutions.. I mean wtf

This is me exactly. I'm confused with the resolution/super sampling settings.

If I play a game in steam vr, will the settings in steam overide the settings in Oculus or will they add to the settings in VR?

Last edited:
This is me exactly. I'm confused with the resolution/super sampling settings.

If I play a game in steam vr, will the settings in steam overide the settings in Oculus or will they add to the settings in VR?
This.

And what can we even do to check?

Screenshots will likely capture the correct resolution but not accurately reflect supersampling.

Maybe the only way to check would be to run some benchmarks. But off the top of my head I don't know of any VR games that come with a built in benchmark.

There is an opportunity for someone to create a VR focused Digital Foundry like channel.

So, can i still get asgard's wrath if I activated my oculus during the promo time but have not redeemed it?

Also any recommendations on a cover for it? I've been using some workout apps but the foam really does get sweaty and disgusting.
AMVR one on amazon it has 2 replacable breathable fake leather, its larger for glasses and two adjuster peices if you need them for the sides of your head (i didn't need) , it also has replacment plastic base with vents for air to come in and out so no fog and less sweat. It was like $23 or something around there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
a question for those here who would know: is a pc with a nvidia 970 gtx powerful enough to run games with decent/acceptable performance and image quality (with Quest 2 hardware)?
I had GTX 970 and it was just about playable on my CV1. I had to upgrade for the Quest 2. The pixel count is insane. The equivalent of running a 4K screen at 90hz. You will need to lower the resolution and frame rate and you will still get dips. Half Life Alyx is quite a slow game so you might get away with it, other games not so much.

I feel tempted to get into PC VR. My only VR experience is PS VR and it was great fun but I really wished for a better resolution, fov and to get rid of the cables. Now it seems that Quest 2 might just do the trick.

What would I need to run Quest 2 wirelessly with my PC? I have Ryzen 3600 and RTX 3080. My motherboard does not have USB C. My wifi router is some cheap piece of crap. Am I out of luck?

Also, I'm pretty allergic to PC settings tinkering. I would ideally like to have a plug and play type of solution. What do you think?

cyberheater

I feel tempted to get into PC VR. My only VR experience is PS VR and it was great fun but I really wished for a better resolution, fov and to get rid of the cables. Now it seems that Quest 2 might just do the trick.

What would I need to run Quest 2 wirelessly with my PC? I have Ryzen 3600 and RTX 3080. My motherboard does not have USB C. My wifi router is some cheap piece of crap. Am I out of luck?

Also, I'm pretty allergic to PC settings tinkering. I would ideally like to have a plug and play type of solution. What do you think?
You have two options.

1. Get a USB 3 to USB C cable on Amazon. You will then have a cable from your PC to your Quest.
2. Get a decent WiFi router and set up virtual desktop. There are quite a few steps for this but you only have to do it once and there are great step by step guides on YouTube. It’s totally worth it for wireless gaming.

Last edited:
I had GTX 970 and it was just about playable on my CV1. I had to upgrade for the Quest 2. The pixel count is insane. The equivalent of running a 4K screen at 90hz. You will need to lower the resolution and frame rate and you will still get dips. Half Life Alyx is quite a slow game so you might get away with it, other games not so much.
thanks for the response (thanks to john as well), looks like i'll have to upgrade the system or just get a new pc to use this.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Kart Racing in PC2 is sure to put a smile on your face. F1 car with just-above-head view is awesome, too. Such a rush when you're in a pack of cars, it's hard to explain your brain is telling you to flinch or swerve when an AI comes at you.

I'm tempted to throw down for Dash Dash World. It has good reviews on Steam so far.

Last edited:

cyberheater

Moss is currently on offer on the Oculus store. Better be quick.

"Never buy from Oculus, always buy from Steam"

I wish that were always the right call, but it's not. Steam just had a Lunar New year sale so I picked up some VR games on the cheap. Some of them I now wish I had bought from Oculus.

Gorn - I had never played this before but it was cheap on sale so I got it on Steam. This game works fine with Virtual Desktop but is honestly best in a VERY LARGE room, like a gymnasium. It would just be a better experience, native on the Quest 2 not "tethered" to my wifi and living room size.

Mini Moto racing X - Love this game more than I thought I would. But it's one of those few games that doesn't quite play perfectly with Virtual Desktop. There is a slight but noticeable stutter and it kind of ruins it. Once you use the Link Cable it's flawless and highly enjoyable. But then I realized "Why did I buy this on Steam?" Now, to play this game I literally have to be tethered to my PC and it would have run perfectly fine natively on the Quest 2 and I wouldn't be tethered to anything. It was a dumb choice to purchase on Steam.

And with MANY games that are cross buy, meaning if you get the native Quest version you also own the PC version on the Oculus store too... it's worth thinking about that it's not always best to buy your VR games on Steam.

If it's a simple game that will run natively on Quest hardware, IMO you should buy it on the Oculus store, even if it's a few more dollars.

cyberheater

Yes. For games like Gorn I always buy the native Quest version. There might be a visual downgrade compared to the PC version but the immediacy of having the game in headset more then makes up for it.

Tygeezy

"Never buy from Oculus, always buy from Steam"

I wish that were always the right call, but it's not. Steam just had a Lunar New year sale so I picked up some VR games on the cheap. Some of them I now wish I had bought from Oculus.

Gorn - I had never played this before but it was cheap on sale so I got it on Steam. This game works fine with Virtual Desktop but is honestly best in a VERY LARGE room, like a gymnasium. It would just be a better experience, native on the Quest 2 not "tethered" to my wifi and living room size.

Mini Moto racing X - Love this game more than I thought I would. But it's one of those few games that doesn't quite play perfectly with Virtual Desktop. There is a slight but noticeable stutter and it kind of ruins it. Once you use the Link Cable it's flawless and highly enjoyable. But then I realized "Why did I buy this on Steam?" Now, to play this game I literally have to be tethered to my PC and it would have run perfectly fine natively on the Quest 2 and I wouldn't be tethered to anything. It was a dumb choice to purchase on Steam.

And with MANY games that are cross buy, meaning if you get the native Quest version you also own the PC version on the Oculus store too... it's worth thinking about that it's not always best to buy your VR games on Steam.

If it's a simple game that will run natively on Quest hardware, IMO you should buy it on the Oculus store, even if it's a few more dollars.
Oh man, I was so bummed alyx wasn't on sale. I thought for sure it would go on sale. I did pick up boneworks though and that game is awesome. I cant wait to see what Stress Level Zero does on their quest project they're apparently working on.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Yes. For games like Gorn I always buy the native Quest version. There might be a visual downgrade compared to the PC version but the immediacy of having the game in headset more then makes up for it.
Yeah, virtual desktop is awesome for what it is. No matter how good your setup is you will have some positional stuttering though because of the lack of asw (https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-asw-2-point-0-better-accuracy-lower-latency/?locale=pt_BR) in virtual desktop. Eventually i'm assuming we will have an official wireless solution from oculus that will have asw support like oculus link has and we will be off to the races.

That may not come until the quest 3 however when presumable wifi 6e will be available. With native quest games you can expect a pretty much perfect low latency experience albeit with worse graphics. You're also not limited to where you can play for the most part.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My 2 cents on the subject is that it's best to have a mix of both Quest 2 and Steam games. The coolness of the Quest 2 is just being able to throw it in a backpack or grocery bag and bring the fun anywhere. Sure, the variety of SteamVR games and graphics are better, and mostly the price, but the freedom of having the games go with you is just as important.

Beat Saber is a game I have on both for the immediacy and party nature of the Oculus version, and the custom songs and mods on the Steam version.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

People who are facing performance issues, reduce the resolution from the Oculus software.
I haven't tested it yet but is it possible that is the reason games I load up on SteamVR run great and runs with frame drops and stuttering on games loaded from the Oculus Store? I have a 2070 Super, what resolution should the Quest 2 be on? It's currently on whatever default the app says. Actually why do my games in Steam VR run better in Steam than Oculus? I have Walking Dead Sinners on both and it runs with MUCH less stuttering on Steam.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It’s kind of silly they didn’t do it before because the people who might be confused by performance issues and troubleshooting aren’t going to play Rift/Steam games anyway, just the regular Quest games

perkelson

It’s kind of silly they didn’t do it before because the people who might be confused by performance issues and troubleshooting aren’t going to play Rift/Steam games anyway, just the regular Quest games

The issue was the amount of things that could go wrong. Like using Wifi5 instead of 6 or even worse Wifi4. Oculus themselves will probably do wireless natively in one of updates though i expect it to come with Quest3 instead of 2. making money and all of that.

Top Bottom