• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

TriSuit666

Banned
I see on Reddit that they have managed to get air link working flawlessly on Quest1.

The guide is here.

I gave it a spin, it works, but not flawlessly - doesn't feel as sharp as VD, and the maximum throughput is only 200mps, it also has sound glitching issues for me.

It's nice, yes, but I think if you can hang on till 'next week', Oculus engineers are saying it'll be much better once officially released.

VGEsoterica

I really need to pick one up soon. I keep putting it off and just playing my PSVR but after selling my VIVE two years ago and regretting that...I need another PC based headset

pr0cs

I really need to pick one up soon. I keep putting it off and just playing my PSVR but after selling my VIVE two years ago and regretting that...I need another PC based headset
I recognize that CV1 is long in the tooth but I find Quest 2 easily eclipses anything my CV1 could do and being able to play everything wirelessly, streamed from my PC (Virt Desktop) is pretty damn great.
Bolted on a 10000mah battery pack to the strap and it will last ~5 hours without needing charging so I'm golden

Kazza

For anyone who doesn't have it already, but who does have a decent PC, Alien Isolation is currently free on the Epic Store:

Has anyone here played this before? Is there any merit to playing the flat screened version first, or would it be best to just go straight into the VR version?

pr0cs

Anyone up the quest 2 resolution like this?
Yeah, it works but you'll get a lot of dropped frames, depending on what games you're playing of course.

I upped it and jumped into Population:One and it was dropping frames like mad so I just set it back to the default.
Now, some games are probably going to end up looking a lot nicer but games that require fast framerate are going to suffer badly

Faithless83

Banned
Getting a Quest 2 on Monday, any suggestions on what to look first besides Beat Saber/Alyx?
I saw Ancient Dungeon yesterday and it looks fun.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It’s been posted a couple times already, but make sure to pick up the Humble Bundle Spring into VR bundle for $15 if you intend to do PCVR. Bunch of good games included.

pr0cs

Getting a Quest 2 on Monday, any suggestions on what to look first besides Beat Saber/Alyx?
I saw Ancient Dungeon yesterday and it looks fun.
If you have a capable PC:
Robo recall
HL:Alyx
Beat Saber
No Mans Sky
Arizona Sunshine
super hot
Lone Echo
Fishermans Tale
Job Simulator
Asgards Wrath

Quest Centric
Eleven
Population:One
Skybox VR player
Virtual Desktop
Space Pirate Trainer

Faithless83

Banned
Super hot and population one. Also racket nx and/or eleven table tennis.
I believe I have super hot on my steam. Bought a third party link cable, hope it works nice with PC.
It’s been posted a couple times already, but make sure to pick up the Humble Bundle Spring into VR bundle for $15 if you intend to do PCVR. Bunch of good games included.
I haven't check HB in ages, thanks for the info, will look into it!
If you have a capable PC:
Robo recall
HL:Alyx
Beat Saber
No Mans Sky
Arizona Sunshine
super hot
Lone Echo
Fishermans Tale
Job Simulator
Asgards Wrath

Quest Centric
Eleven
Population:One
Skybox VR player
Virtual Desktop
Space Pirate Trainer
Great will look into these as well.

Thanks everyone, will look into it over the weekend. Used the rift a few years ago and thought it was really fun.

Romulus

Everyone is sleeping on Swarm. I highly recommend it. After you have your legs make sure you pick up the Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. Probably the game with the most depth that runs Quest native.

Agree on Saints and Sinners. That was my GOTY. Don't be fooled by it being "just a zombie" game. It's a much deeper survival game with lots of content, and more free stuff coming. Super immersive and polished.

Everyone is sleeping on Swarm. I highly recommend it. After you have your legs make sure you pick up the Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. Probably the game with the most depth that runs Quest native.
Is it better running from pc wireless? Are the graphics downgraded a lot playing quest native?

RPS37

I come bearing news!
I showed my Quest 2 to my 13 and 10 year old nieces the other day.
They were pretty flabbergasted.
I shows them: Beat Saber, Superhot demo, The Climb 2, Bogo and some other stuff.

The 10 year old is really into animals so she seemed to really like Bogo.
They both seemed to have issues getting the hang of The Climb 2.
Later on, I played The a climb 2 and absolutely loved it.

I keep buying accessories for this thing!
I got: lens cleaner and cover (clutch), official case, elite strap, and the Anker charger. Today I got a silicone face cover and this new head strap that a random YouTuber recommended. I haven’t tried them for a long sessions, but at first trying them on, it seems so much more comfortable. And the strap seems to work with the official case still!

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
For anyone who doesn't have it already, but who does have a decent PC, Alien Isolation is currently free on the Epic Store:

Has anyone here played this before? Is there any merit to playing the flat screened version first, or would it be best to just go straight into the VR version

the mod for vr is basic so it’s the same game, just more immersive in the hmd

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
They've started enabling air link for those who have v28 for the desktop app and on the headset. Check the beta tab on the app and then experimental features on the headset.
Fuck yeah! Finally get to play Asgard's Wrath without using Link Cable. Now I just gotta re-download it...80GB+, a real heifer for a VR game.
3DwEppO.jpg

Here's the Air Link menu on Quest 2.*edit* I took this screenshot in Air Link and it automatically opened on my PC. That was weird.
---
PSA- If you purchased your Quest 2 from Nov-Jan then you might have received a free copy of Asgard's Wrath that you'll find in your Oculus PC app Library.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Fuck yeah! Finally get to play Asgard's Wrath without using Link Cable. Now I just gotta re-download it...80GB+, a real heifer for a VR game.
3DwEppO.jpg

Here's the Air Link menu on Quest 2.*edit* I took this screenshot in Air Link and it automatically opened on my PC. That was weird.
---
PSA- If you purchased your Quest 2 from Nov-Jan then you might have received a free copy of Asgard's Wrath that you'll find in your Oculus PC app Library.
Asgards wrath runs like garbage so it really needs to be played on official link or airlink to have access to ASW. Unfortunately virtual desktop doesn't have access to ASW.

WizeVibez

Banned
3DwEppO.jpg

---
Bought mine in January, didn't arrive till February 2nd. Still mad I didn't get Asgard's Wrath but playing Alyx, Boneworks etc. has been wonderful.

Tygeezy

For me to legit get airlink to show up on pc version without the hacked file I had to logout of oculus and log back in. Exiting the app and resetting the app did nothing. Also, if you can’t get ver 28 on your pc you can opt into test version of software, it will download an update you can then opt out of the test software and it will download the release version of 28.

For the headset you can force the update with a zip file if you don’t have it yet.

As for airlink, hot damn it works well. I was downstairs while my router was Upstairs in a separate room with my nieces on my wife’s iPad using wifi and it worked perfectly.... My pc is hooked onto a moca adapter which gives it a wired connection to my router upstairs via coax network in house and it still worked great... The moca adapter adds 3 milliseconds of latency with the conversion to Ethernet when I tested using virtual desktop.

I used dynamic bitrate up to 150 mbit in the airlink settings that are on the left menu when you successfully log into airlink.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
FFS

Oculus app on PC, i can enable airlink in the beta parameters now, but nothing on the headset. 120Hz has now poped up.

I mean.. yea, their idea of a patch is trolling their users. Patch full feature or don't. Not some arbitrary method of enabling it when they feel like it.

Tygeezy

FFS

Oculus app on PC, i can enable airlink in the beta parameters now, but nothing on the headset. 120Hz has now poped up.

I mean.. yea, their idea of a patch is trolling their users. Patch full feature or don't. Not some arbitrary method of enabling it when they feel like it.
Try resetting the experimental features in the headset. Also try resetting the headset itself.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Finally install Asgard's Wrath and played the opening 20min of the game. Air Link has pretty impressive performance and image quality. Asgard's Wrath doesn't seem to have very good performance. I'm on Ryzen 1600+2060S, so I was surprised. Don't get me wrong, it still looks great at the settings I was using, I was just surprised to see it drop from 80fps down to 45fps at times for no reason.

I'm not familiar with Link, so I couldn't figure out how to record locally to the headset. I took a screenshot of the game running off my PC and it was 1280x720, then a screenshot from within the headset Link menu and that one was 1536x1536. FPS at the time was ~80fps on GeForce performance monitor.

Headset:
QNypoem.jpg

PC:
p89HNCM.jpg

I need to learn how this all works, since it seems weird to have to 2 separate resolutions and aspect ratios running at the same time. Either way it looks fuckin' fantastic even on medium settings, 100% res, and Epic AA.

P.S.- I need a new GPU asap.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Finally install Asgard's Wrath and played the opening 20min of the game. Air Link has pretty impressive performance and image quality. Asgard's Wrath doesn't seem to have very good performance. I'm on Ryzen 1600+2060S, so I was surprised. Don't get me wrong, it still looks great at the settings I was using, I was just surprised to see it drop from 80fps down to 45fps at times for no reason.

I'm not familiar with Link, so I couldn't figure out how to record locally to the headset. I took a screenshot of the game running off my PC and it was 1280x720, then a screenshot from within the headset Link menu and that one was 1536x1536. FPS at the time was ~80fps on GeForce performance monitor.

Headset:
QNypoem.jpg

PC:
p89HNCM.jpg

I need to learn how this all works, since it seems weird to have to 2 separate resolutions and aspect ratios running at the same time. Either way it looks fuckin' fantastic even on medium settings, 120% res, and Epic AA.

I recommend going into graphic settings of your headset on the pc oculus app and maxing out resolution. That will put all games at native resolution. Most games have a resolution scale in game if you find performance bad. Steam vr allows you to set global resolution or on a per game basis in the menu for games that don’t allow it in game.

Im desperate to get a 3080 as well. PcVr needs all the performance you can throw at it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Headset:
QNypoem.jpg

PC:
p89HNCM.jpg

I need to learn how this all works, since it seems weird to have to 2 separate resolutions and aspect ratios running at the same time. Either way it looks fuckin' fantastic even on medium settings, 120% res, and Epic AA.

Something about Nvidia physx?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I did a couple sessions of Beat Saber on both Air Link and Virtual Desktop, and I gotta say that Air Link is noticeably clearer with less compression artifacts/macro blocking than VD. VD is more versatile and a 3rd-party solution that has been a source of great joy, but man that Air Link is crisp.
---

Something about Nvidia physx?

I tried that and I can't tell if it helped. I think that I just need more powerful hardware.

mxbison

Anyone tried the Quest version of Robo Recall?

Not sure if I should get it on Quest or for PC. Screenshots do look a lot better for the PC version.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anyone tried the Quest version of Robo Recall?

Not sure if I should get it on Quest or for PC. Screenshots do look a lot better for the PC version.
The quest version looks amazing for a mobile game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the recommended headstrap these days? Still waiting for the Elite Battery Strap, but that shit is never coming back into stock lol. I also don't really want the crappy official case, but it can't be bought without it...

Preferably something available outside the US (I'm in Sweden).

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
air link showed up on the oculus software but my headset is still on v27. thanks obama.

alright, I'm sideloading v28 :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

elbourreau

Asgard’s wrath is such a huge download, how come? I mean, it’s bigger than most AAA games. Is it that detailed/huge?
Developping VR, so I can put some theories.

The game is long and quite pretty. One option we can choose to deliver great visuals is to "bake" everything. Light and shadows are converted into textures, only the dynamic lights still remains. Downside is that the game is really heavy (I mean REALLY). This baking technique + 4K assets could mean a very big pack when downloading the game.

pr0cs

What's the recommended headstrap these days?
I bought this one and thus far I've been very happy. It murders the OG strap and anything I tried on my CV1. Personally I find Halo style straps to be a lot more comfortable.

I added a 10000mah battery pack to the back of the Halo and the device will last for around 5 hours depending on what we're doing

41zxmj8556L._AC_SY780_.jpg

I'd be interested in hearing some Asgard's wrath options as I've had my eye on it for a while but haven't quite been convinced to take the plunge at the normal price. I'm happy paying if I can be convinced it's a good game. It's also tough as I can get Skyrim vr for under £10. I'm only in PCVR so can't get it for free.

Top Bottom