• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well, that was it. After the Fall, RE4 and a free update to the venerable TWD Saints and Sinners. Battlesister seems to be getting better and better too.

and nostalgia, man. That 1080 Snowboarding was really good on N64. Nice one.

They didn't show Puzzle Bobble VR, all I know that with these and Myst and Dr. Beef ports of old classic shooters, Oculus Quest 2 is downright the best place to relive classic games.
Try virtual boy emultor

Tygeezy

It looks like lone echo 2 was too far into development to port to quest 2.

They used the phrase “coming to Oculus Quest via link.”

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's PC footage

The Text is missing on the stream but it's there in the Trailer

Also looks like gfx had a scale down similar to Population One. I only played Arizona Sunshine last year though and it was still fun despite it looking like a 2008 pc game so not going to complain too much

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Are Oculus patches always this messy?

Both PC & Headset are now V28.

I have no single feature promised of V28, no 120Hz, no Light theme, and of course, no airlink.

edit : I got keyboard pairing... yay!?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

I have no single feature promised of V28, no 120Hz, no Light theme, and of course, no airlink.

I think we're still waiting on the Air Link feature despite the Oculus App(PC) and Quest 2 being v28. You should have 120Hz, though. If not, try 'Reset Experimental to Default' and let it reset. Then it should show up at the very bottom.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The newest PPSSPP Gold seems to run pretty good on the Quest 2. I used a pocket MOGA connected to Quest 2 with Bluetooth, and set the graphics settings to 4xPSP and it ran smoothly. Made a vid, but in that mode Quest 2 just shows a black screen. They have a Cardboard/SBS mode on PPSSPP, gonna try it with Virtual Desktop SBS mode later tonight.*the cardboard mode worked for VD SBS, but it seems like there's no offset or way to set convergence distance like Citra has. Probably meant for crappy old phone VR.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned

Officially ’no-one’ has AirLink. Seems it’s something Oculus can enable and disable at will (so expect it to become a premium feature down the line).

120Hz will appear after a few reboots.

mxbison

They don't even bother showing the Quest 1 as supported device anymore in trailers or updating it with features like Air Link.

I paid €400 for that thing just a little over a year ago....

Yeah I know, bad timing, but that's still kinda ridiculous.

RPS37

I'm in the same boat, in that I already have Job Simulator and Superhot on Steam. Both are awesome games.

Good news is they prorate the cost of the bundle if you already own a game on the store. Eleven Table Tennis is great. I find you need the side to side space more than front to back.

You'll get something like $14 off for having Pistol Whip. That's makes around $86 for Population One($30) and Superhot($25) as your main games. Let's say we promo those to $36 combined, that means you'd be paying $50 for Job Simulator($20), Arizona Sunshine($40), and Eleven Table Tennis($20).

Personally, I'm going to put that money into some games I've been wanting to play: Gorn, Premium Bowling, and Dash Dash World.
This helps.
Basically I’m thinking I should just spend half and get Superhot and Pop One.
Arizona Sunshine can’t be anywhere near as good as Saints and Sinners (which I def plan on picking up some time down the line).

Irobot82

I got my PC running the Quest 2 last night and played Alyx for like 15 minutes. The difference in quality is astonishing. At times it's convincingly real compared to anything natively running on the quest. The only times my brain wasn't convinced was when I saw aliasing or they just used tesselation for a screw instead of it being it's own 3D object. The PBR and lighting is very convincing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They don't even bother showing the Quest 1 as supported device anymore in trailers or updating it with features like Air Link.

I paid €400 for that thing just a little over a year ago....

Yeah I know, bad timing, but that's still kinda ridiculous.
I also have a Q1 and I hope it's fully supported for some time to come. There is not technical reason why it can't support Air Link

Kazza

I got my PC running the Quest 2 last night and played Alyx for like 15 minutes. The difference in quality is astonishing. At times it's convincingly real compared to anything natively running on the quest. The only times my brain wasn't convinced was when I saw aliasing or they just used tesselation for a screw instead of it being it's own 3D object. The PBR and lighting is very convincing.

I didn't think I would be getting a decent PC this year due to all the component shortages, but saw a nice laptop online yesterday and pulled the trigger and ordered. Even its gimped mobile RTX3060 should be more than enough for Alyx and other PCVR games, but I think I'm going to hold off until next year to really try PCVR. I only just got my Oculus, and to be honest even basic, older VR games such as Super Hot and Beat Saber are still pretty mindblowing for me right now. I'm afraid that jumping straight to something advanced like Alyx may spoil the more basic experiences available on the Quest 2.

I'll probably get Alyx around Christmas as a little treat for myself. It sounds amazing!

I didn't think I would be getting a decent PC this year due to all the component shortages, but saw a nice laptop online yesterday and pulled the trigger and ordered. Even its gimped mobile RTX3060 should be more than enough for Alyx and other PCVR games, but I think I'm going to hold off until next year to really try PCVR. I only just got my Oculus, and to be honest even basic, older VR games such as Super Hot and Beat Saber are still pretty mindblowing for me right now. I'm afraid that jumping straight to something advanced like Alyx may spoil the more basic experiences available on the Quest 2.

I'll probably get Alyx around Christmas as a little treat for myself. It sounds amazing!
Alyx will run great on that thing. I have a 1660ti laptop and it runs great. It's very well optimised apparently.

TriSuit666

Banned

It will and it does. Save it as long as you can and you'll enjoy it more.

(I'm currently replaying through on Hard with Directors Commentary on - they go into great detail during one of the more .... intense sequences ... about the construction of the shaders and lighting effects)

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Alyx will run great on that thing. I have a 1660ti laptop and it runs great. It's very well optimised apparently.

I run Alyx on a 1060 6GB. It’s the most impressive looking VR game I’ve played yet that runs so smoothly on my shit GPU.

When I started Dirt 2 in VR with this setup, I almost laughed how bad looking it was and the performances were so shit.

There’s Alyx’s godly optimization, and there’s the rest.

I run Alyx on a 1060 6GB. It’s the most impressive looking VR game I’ve played yet that runs so smoothly on my shit GPU.

When I started Dirt 2 in VR with this setup, I almost laughed how bad looking it was and the performances were so shit.

There’s Alyx’s godly optimization, and there’s the rest.
Try No Man's Sky to see the bottom of VR optimization on PC :D

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Try No Man's Sky to see the bottom of VR optimization on PC :D

Will do, for shit and giggles.

It already runs bad without VR, can’t imagine with VR.

I have not tried it yet but also DCS is a big contender for worse VR optimization. I think even with a 3090 it’s barely playable.

pr0cs

No man's sky is quite possibly the next big vr game I get
It's terribly optimized but works pretty good in VR if you have the rig to support it. I still think it's flight model is still one of the best implemented in VR, in general VR makes the game a LOT more fun, it's worth your time to give it a try if you have the means because NMS is underrated as a VR-centric title

Arizona Sunshine can’t be anywhere near as good as Saints and Sinners
It's getting long in the tooth but it's still a must play in my book, there are some great sections in the game and can be pretty challenging, it's short but a lot of fun, good variety of weapons, interesting locations.

Irobot82

It's pretty amazing. It has well done physics. Dropping items doesn't feel floaty or anything. They also collide with each other even when you're holding them so it almost tricks your brain into thinking you really are colliding things. It's pretty neat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If anyone has a new Quest 2, how is the glare and godrays? On my unit from October it's REALLY bad in high contrast scenes (like the white text in the home menu). At least I think it's bad, but because I've never tried a different Quest 2 I don't really know what's normal and what's indicative of a defect.

But basically, what I see is very obvious rays of light going off all bright elements toward the center of the screen. If I look straight at some text it looks fine, but as soon as I turn my head a little there's rays and "bloom" galore. I'm not talking about the "rings" I can see around the Oculus logo when booting the unit, the godrays look different. Don't notice it much in most games though, as they usually don't have those very high contrast elements.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If anyone has a new Quest 2, how is the glare and godrays? On my unit from October it's REALLY bad in high contrast scenes (like the white text in the home menu). At least I think it's bad, but because I've never tried a different Quest 2 I don't really know what's normal and what's indicative of a defect.

But basically, what I see is very obvious rays of light going off all bright elements toward the center of the screen. If I look straight at some text it looks fine, but as soon as I turn my head a little there's rays and "bloom" galore. I'm not talking about the "rings" I can see around the Oculus logo when booting the unit, the godrays look different. Don't notice it much in most games though, as they usually don't have those very high contrast elements.
Yep. Seems normal. The godrays on the CV1 were much worst.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It's just one of the weaknesses of the Quest 2. Bright white text/object on a black background will kick up that halo effect. It's mostly something I notice when games are loading up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep. Seems normal. The godrays on the CV1 were much worst.

If they were much worse than this they must have been pretty terrible!

It's just one of the weaknesses of the Quest 2. Bright white text/object on a black background will kick up that halo effect. It's mostly something I notice when games are loading up.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess it's just how it is. It doesn't bother me THAT much, but it would sure be nice if they could make lenses without this problem. And yeah, it's most visible when there's white text or logos on a dark background. In gameplay it's usually not something I think about (but it's still there on certain objects if I look for it).

Although, when you say "halo effect", exactly what do you mean? Because I don't mean "rings" around bright objects (although I do see that too, for example around the Oculus boot logo), I mean lots of small "rays" that shoot out from text and such when it's not right in the middle of the display, and make it look smeared out. But maybe these are actually the same phenomenon, manifesting in different ways.

Anyway, the reason I was asking is because I was reading some Reddit threads and such, and there people are saying that it's worse on some units than others (poor quality control, basically). So I of course started wondering if what I'm seeing is normal or worse than normal, heh. Some even say they don't see it AT ALL, but that's not really possible with these lenses, is it?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Although, when you say "halo effect", exactly what do you mean? Because I don't mean "rings" around bright objects (although I do see that too, for example around the Oculus boot logo), I mean lots of small "rays" that shoot out from text and such when it's not right in the middle of the display, and make it look smeared out. But maybe these are actually the same phenomenon, manifesting in different ways.
I get the sharp pin rays, too, but they're not visually striking like the halo is to me. There's probably a bit of variance with quality control, but I'd guess it was more down to each person's level of sensitivity to different issues.

Here's a screengrab from a vid I made of my Quest 2's bootup logo. Shoving a cellphone into the headset up close to the lens is not an ideal way to get a picture, but it shows what I mean by halo. Sometimes pins will come out like godrays from behind depending on what's on screen.
n6rj6gw.jpg

I still find the Quest 2 image quality to be sharp and pleasing to the eye. For $299(I paid $249, but that's a different story), I don't think I could have done better.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I get the sharp pin rays, too, but they're not visually striking like the halo is to me. There's probably a bit of variance with quality control, but I'd guess it was more down to each person's level of sensitivity to different issues.

Here's a screengrab from a vid I made of my Quest 2's bootup logo. Shoving a cellphone into the headset up close to the lens is not an ideal way to get a picture, but it shows what I mean by halo. Sometimes pins will come out like godrays from behind depending on what's on screen.
n6rj6gw.jpg

I still find the Quest 2 image quality to be sharp and pleasing to the eye. For $299(I paid $249, but that's a different story), I don't think I could have done better.

Hm, I see a lot more haloing than that around the logo. Like a bunch of smeared rings around it, further out.

I only see that with my own eyes though, my phone camera doesn't catch that.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Hm, I see a lot more haloing than that around the logo. Like a bunch of rings around it, further out.
Are you talking about the rings on the lens, or the halo effect of white on black on the screen? If I stare at them and adjust the headset I'll see the lens rings and some light running along the edges, but in my "set" position focusing on the center of vision and relaxing my eyes I don't get that.

You just need to try another Quest 2 somehow and see if there's a major difference. Until then, it's impossible to pin it down to either your eye's sensitivity or the headset. Personally, I think you have normal headset and it's just the best you can get for the price atm.

Last edited:
Is Doom 3 on Quest via link cable?
You have to sideload it from Sidequest. So you need to run your Quest in developer mode. You provide the doom 3 files from your bought copy via steam, you copy n paste the files onto your quest and you're good to go. It's great. Follow any simple guide and you can't go wrong. Great title.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you talking about the rings on the lens, or the halo effect of white on black on the screen? If I stare at them and adjust the headset I'll see the lens rings and some light running along the edges, but in my "set" position focusing on the center of vision and relaxing my eyes I don't get that.

You just need to try another Quest 2 somehow and see if there's a major difference. Until then, it's impossible to pin it down to either your eye's sensitivity or the headset. Personally, I think you have normal headset and it's just the best you can get for the price atm.

This is an exaggerated mockup based on your photo, but it kind of looks like this:

quest-halozdkge.png

Like there's a smudgy halo all around the logo, quite far out, where I can just about make out the rings (the ridges in the lens).

But the god rays I typically see look pretty much like this (the "smear" coming off the YouTube icon), although maybe not quite this bad:

20200618_0023283bkci.jpg

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is an exaggerated mockup based on your photo, but it kind of looks like this:
Like there's a smudgy halo all around the logo, quite far out, where I can just about make out the rings (the ridges in the lens).

But the god rays I typically see look pretty much like this (the "smear" coming off the YouTube icon), although maybe not quite this bad:

20200618_0023283bkci.jpg
Ok, now I see exactly what you're talking about. It's like a lens flare mixed with a pinch.

When I'm wearing the headset I can adjust it and get it to do that, but when I have it locked in it doesn't. I get that smokey/cloudy halo probably mostly from the screen.

I'm assuming you have your headset locked into your comfort/focus zone. It wasn't easy to hold it and snap a photo without scratching the lens, but I still have a hard time making that flare/pinch come off the icons like that. I can get it to do something like this much easier...
NrACdpl.jpg

This is what I see with the headset mounted correctly, IPD 2. Obviously in the headset it's super clear and crisp...
K2AVxeI.jpg

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, now I see exactly what you're talking about. It's like a lens flare mixed with a pinch.

When I'm wearing the headset I can adjust it and get it to do that, but when I have it locked in it doesn't. I get that smokey/cloudy halo probably mostly from the screen.

I'm assuming you have your headset locked into your comfort/focus zone. It wasn't easy to hold it and snap a photo without scratching the lens, but I still have a hard time making that flare/pinch come off the icons like that. I can get it to do something like this much easier...
NrACdpl.jpg

This is what I see with the headset mounted correctly, IPD 2. Obviously in the headset it's super clear and crisp...
K2AVxeI.jpg

I mean, I think I have it as "locked in" as possible. If I DON'T, even stuff I'm looking right at looks blurry and smeared out. The sweetspot is not very large. When I'm right in it, things in the middle of the display look clear, but almost immediately outside the center bright things start looking like your Browser icon etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom