• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

That would be something; even though I know I won't touch the game without the oculus.

i have an HMZ T1, so i'm interested to see how it looks on that. i don't have any strong preference to seeing it first on the oculus or the HMZ since i already beat the game years ago. i'm presuming we won't see it this week, but it's plausible obviously.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
never played Doom 3, but still wouldn't touch it until the occulus arrives. It'll probably be the only game it works with for a while so I don't want to spoil it.

never played Doom 3, but still wouldn't touch it until the occulus arrives. It'll probably be the only game it works with for a while so I don't want to spoil it.

Anyone know if the beta for Hawken is ever slated to have support for the rift? I'd imagine it's lower on their list of things to implement, but that would be awesome.

if i hadn't played it, i'd wait too. i waited until a had my very own 3DS in my hands to see the 3D effect. i also didn't try out an HMZ T1 before unboxing my own.

not sensible i know, but it made that birthday and that christmas all the more exciting.

LordCanti

Anyone know if the beta for Hawken is ever slated to have support for the rift? I'd imagine it's lower on their list of things to implement, but that would be awesome.

The open beta won't launch with Rift support as far as I can tell. That's the one happening in December. (the video on the kickstarter page claimed it would, but that claim was walked back in a few interviews)

Don't be surprised if you have to pay for a Rift specific cockpit either.

1-D_FTW

The open beta won't launch with Rift support as far as I can tell. That's the one happening in December. (the video on the kickstarter page claimed it would, but that claim was walked back in a few interviews)

I'm 99.999999% certain they already confirmed it was a pay element. Which makes sense. If you're making a F2P game, and you're adding a niche element that a certain segment really wants, why not? If that's not a pay element in your game, what would be?

Quaz51

tumblr_mbhuoiBy0D1ry25un.jpg

LordCanti

I'm 99.999999% certain they already confirmed it was a pay element. Which makes sense. If you're making a F2P game, and you're adding a niche element that a certain segment really wants, why not? If that's not a pay element in your game, what would be?

I agree. I can see how someone could see that video, hear "Hawken will launch with Rift support" and think that implies free though. It almost certainly doesn't.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is Rift using similar display screen? The only time it'll be great news if the cost is pretty much the same as their current screen.

Apparently not but it remains that this is a fairly sizeable leap in screen resolution over existing phone screens, so I would hope this will extend to whatever screen tech the Rift uses.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony is also apparently building 5" 1080p screen for their upcoming flagship smartphone. One of these need to be included in 1st consumer version of OR, higher resolution will only put more strain on our computers [after all, we need silky smooth 60fps gameplay :D ].

Mr.Green

God will people stop bringing those freaking 5" screens. IT'S. TOO. SMALL! ;)

Seriously, it is. The prototype used a 5.6" screen and the dev kits will use a slightly larger one. Again, you can't get a high enough FOV with a 5" screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God will people stop bringing those freaking 5" screens. IT'S. TOO. SMALL! ;)

Seriously, it is. The prototype used a 5.6" screen and the dev kits will use a slightly larger one. Again, you can't get a high enough FOV with a 5" screen.

Isn't that something the lenses can help with?

DieH@rd

Banned
Without a doubt, Samsung will put 1080p screen in their Note 3 smartphone. Note 1 was 5.3", note 2 was 5.5", note3 will most likely remain at 5.5.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As I understand it, the smaller you make the screen, the more complex, expensive, and (critically) heavy the optics need to be to achieve the same FoV.

I realise there is proably a balancing act to do, but surely they have to factor in the availability of screens? Requiring a non-standard screen size will increase the cost of sourcing those screens compared to the mass production of certain relatively standard tablet/smartphone sizes.

Without a doubt, Samsung will put 1080p screen in their Note 3 smartphone. Note 1 was 5.3", note 2 was 5.5", note3 will most likely remain at 5.5.

FWIW if you watch side by side reviews the Note 1 screen actually seems bigger. The Note 2 is taller and more slender, easier held, more manageable, but probably a bit smaller imo in total area.

People always just go by the diagonal, but a bigger diagonal measurement doesn't always mean more screen area, although in general it does.

DieH@rd

Banned
FWIW if you watch side by side reviews the Note 1 screen actually seems bigger. The Note 2 is taller and more slender, easier held, more manageable, but probably a bit smaller imo in total area.

People always just go by the diagonal, but a bigger diagonal measurement doesn't always mean more screen area, although in general it does.

No. Note2 [on the left] clearly has a bigger screen. Also, Note2 is not taller, they just reduced empty space above and below the screen.
galalxy-note-ii-24-ifa-2012-slashgear-580x405.jpeg

[note1 has a blockier design that resembles SGS2, note2 has more rounded design of SGS3]

Durante

I realise there is proably a balancing act to do, but surely they have to factor in the availability of screens? Requiring a non-standard screen size will increase the cost of sourcing those screens compared to the mass production of certain relatively standard tablet/smartphone sizes.
Sure, but I think that of the standard sizes 7" may be the better choice. And 1080p 7" displays should be readily available by the time they release the consumer version.

(though I actually hope they go with a custom screen (or at least controller). It's more expensive, sure, but I'd love to have 120Hz on the Rift 1.0)

1-D_FTW

Sure, but I think that of the standard sizes 7" may be the better choice. And 1080p 7" displays should be readily available by the time they release the consumer version.

(though I actually hope they go with a custom screen (or at least controller). It's more expensive, sure, but I'd love to have 120Hz on the Rift 1.0)

Is controller the only real differentiating factor with 120hz screens? Cause I could definitely see them going the custom route on that. And if that's where the "magic" occurs, I could definitely see 120hz as a strong possibility:)

As for the 7 inch screens, absolutely. The new Nook is 1440*900 and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the next Nexus 7 is 1080p. It's pretty much inconceivable it won't occur before the end of next year.

LordCanti

Has anyone here seen this kickstarter? It's for a gun peripheral with tracking, a working magazine (for reloading), sensors to know when you're aiming down the scope, etc.

Looking at the video, I'm wondering if it would be possible to implement gun tracking and head tracking into a game independently, so that you could be using the Rift with the gun in hand for controls, and have the game know if you're looking right (with your head) while the gun is still pointed to the left for instance.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if this would improve the Rift experience at all. Thoughts?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone here seen this kickstarter? It's for a gun peripheral with tracking, a working magazine (for reloading), sensors to know when you're aiming down the scope, etc.

Looking at the video, I'm wondering if it would be possible to implement gun tracking and head tracking into a game independently, so that you could be using the Rift with the gun in hand for controls, and have the game know if you're looking right (with your head) while the gun is still pointed to the left for instance.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if this would improve the Rift experience at all. Thoughts?

yes, it should do. I'd actually like to see some games patch in PS move support, and use a sharpshooter accessory.

Not sure why you'd want to aim left and look right, but you could definitely keep your aim steady while you look around.

A Sony Sharpshooter with simple switches (button in stock to detect when you raise it to your shoulder initiates iron sights/scope), button in bottom of mag simulates slam to reload, additional sliding stock for pump action shotguns (use either)

Could be great.

edit: He might try not having over a minute and a half of text before we see anything though

edit2: Gun looks beautiful, but that interface looks bad. Twist to aim?

LordCanti

yes, it should do. I'd actually like to see some games patch in PS move support, and use a sharpshooter accessory.

Not sure why you'd want to aim left and look right, but you could definitely keep your aim steady while you look around.

A Sony Sharpshooter with simple switches (button in stock to detect when you raise it to your shoulder initiates iron sights/scope), button in bottom of mag simulates slam to reload, additional sliding stock for pump action shotguns (use either)

Could be great.

For immersion's sake. Maybe I didn't put that quite right. What I'd like is to be able to...mm...

Basically the goal is tricking the brain into thinking that the gun (and your arms) are actually in use. The Rift can't really do that when you're aiming using your head, à la Doom 3 BFG. I know that there are people talking about using Kinect to work the limbs (so that if you raise your hand up, it will show up in game for instance) but that seems like it's years down the line. This peripheral seems like it could be ready to go fairly soon.

edit: He might try not having over a minute and a half of text before we see anything though

Yeah, that was a little bit much. Maybe it's the new Kickstarter rules making everyone a little bit paranoid, and he wanted to avoid that by front loading his credentials. It doesn't stop there either; most of the video is him talking about past accomplishments.

i haven't been following this that close or the tech invovled but is it possible to say use this as a display even in games that don't support it/head tracking?

Durante

i haven't been following this that close or the tech invovled but is it possible to say use this as a display even in games that don't support it/head tracking?
Not out of the box, no. There are various people who are already working on / will work on interception drivers that will allow various degrees of compatibility in legacy games.

LordCanti

What will be the cost range?

No one has said, but the developer model is barely breaking even at $300 supposedly, with screen technology that is pretty old. I think the screen is going to end up being the biggest expenditure, but you've also got to add in a profit margin to every unit sold when trying to come up with the final price.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the final unit come in somewhere between $600-$1000.

For immersion's sake. Maybe I didn't put that quite right. What I'd like is to be able to...mm...

Basically the goal is tricking the brain into thinking that the gun (and your arms) are actually in use. The Rift can't really do that when you're aiming using your head, à la Doom 3 BFG. I know that there are people talking about using Kinect to work the limbs (so that if you raise your hand up, it will show up in game for instance) but that seems like it's years down the line. This peripheral seems like it could be ready to go fairly soon.

Yeah, that was a little bit much. Maybe it's the new Kickstarter rules making everyone a little bit paranoid, and he wanted to avoid that by front loading his credentials. It doesn't stop there either; most of the video is him talking about past accomplishments.

Palmer teased the notion of the final version having some sort of motion tracked gun or controller at some point. I wouldn't presume it would be included, but be a peripheral. Even so, Oculus are certainly thinking along those lines already, even if they're working on getting the headset right first.

better positional tracking of the headset needs to be job number 1 though, i believe.

Durante

No one has said, but the developer model is barely breaking even at $300 supposedly, with screen technology that is pretty old. I think the screen is going to end up being the biggest expenditure, but you've also got to add in a profit margin to every unit sold when trying to come up with the final price.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the final unit come in somewhere between $600-$1000.
Considering everything Palmer has ever said regarding price, I'm 99% certain it will be less than $600.

Durante

Honestly, if this thing takes off and there is good game support for it, I would gladly pay $600. I just hope it has better support than other peripherals have.
Oh, I'd pay 1k easily. But for it to take off, it can't be that expensive. And honestly, it has no reason to be. $200 tablets are including high quality screens. All kinds of sensors are being built in the millions for other applications. The optics are relatively simple.

I don't see why the couldn't sell it for $500 and still make a nice profit.

1-D_FTW

Based on what they've said (about not wanting to cut any corners just to reduce the price to an arbitrary number, I'm braced for between 499.99 - 799.99.

If it's 799.99, I want it to be tricked out though. I.E. 1080P@120hz. Killer low latency tracking. Zero input lag. Etc.

DieH@rd

Banned
400 is the absolute top price I would pay, and if they want to make VR widespread they need to come up with the model that is affordable. Something like one 1080p60hz model with basic headtracking for the masses, and 1080p+@120hz model with full body tracking for the enthusiasts.

LordCanti

Considering everything Palmer has ever said regarding price, I'm 99% certain it will be less than $600.

I don't know. He starts to talk about 120hz, high resolutions, add-on peripherals, etc, and I start to wonder how cheap the thing can really be.

I'm certainly hoping for $500 or less, and that I can get maybe $200 back by selling the developer version before that happens.

400 is the absolute top price I would pay, and if they want to make VR widespread they need to come up with the model that is affordable. Something like one 1080p60hz model with basic headtracking for the masses, and 1080p+@120hz model with full body tracking for the enthusiasts.

I don't think the masses are going to latch on to this device. If it had console support it would have a better chance, but the certification to make that happen would take awhile, if they're even trying to make that happen at all.

People think wearing 3D glasses is a bother. I can't see them wearing a headset that needs to be tethered to the computer.

(Obviously us enthusiasts will do it gladly)

Durante

I don't know. He starts to talk about 120hz, high resolutions, add-on peripherals, etc, and I start to wonder how cheap the thing can really be.
Well, add-on peripherals are, by definition, add-ons. High resolution is something that (luckily) tablets are driving massively. As I understand it, 120Hz is primarily a controller issue, and not so much about the panel -- and it may also not be a goal for Rift 1.0.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I still maintain that I'd be extremely surprised if it was more than $500.

LordCanti

Well, add-on peripherals are, by definition, add-ons. High resolution is something that (luckily) tablets are driving massively. As I understand it, 120Hz is primarily a controller issue, and not so much about the panel -- and it may also not be a goal for Rift 1.0.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I still maintain that I'd be extremely surprised if it was more than $500.

I'm definitely not an authority on panel technology, but wouldn't a lot more monitors be 120hz if it was just a matter of making the controller handle it? Doesn't it require a tech like TN that can switch the pixels fast enough to make 120hz a possibility? Most of these small panels seem to be IPS. If OLED is a completely different beast in terms of 120hz, I digress.

As far as add-ons go, if the Rift itself is $500, but you really need a couple of $50-$100 add-ons to get the full experience, it's still a $600 expenditure.

I do hope you're right, obviously. The cheaper they can do it without compromising 6DOF support and a higher res screen (1080p at least for v1), the better.

TN should actually be cheaper than IPS. And for OLED it can IMHO really only be a controller issue, since those should switch within less than a millisecond. But I'm not an expert on panels or driving them either.

The reason I believe that it's purely a controller issue is that there was this very cheap Korean 1440p IPS monitor that could be driven at 120Hz when you have a specific revision of the controller board. I very much doubt that they specifically built the panel for that.

And 120 Hz in everything being held back just because manufacturers want to save a few dollars on controllers is just the kind of sad state of affairs I expect from the corporate world in general :p

Fair enough, lol.

Durante

I'm definitely not an authority on panel technology, but wouldn't a lot more monitors be 120hz if it was just a matter of making the controller handle it? Doesn't it require a tech like TN that can switch the pixels fast enough to make 120hz a possibility? Most of these small panels seem to be IPS. If OLED is a completely different beast in terms of 120hz, I digress.
TN should actually be cheaper than IPS. And for OLED it can IMHO really only be a controller issue, since those should switch within less than a millisecond. But I'm not an expert on panels or driving them either.

The reason I believe that it's purely a controller issue is that there was this very cheap Korean 1440p IPS monitor that could be driven at 120Hz when you have a specific revision of the controller board. I very much doubt that they specifically built the panel for that.

And 120 Hz in everything being held back just because manufacturers want to save a few dollars on controllers is just the kind of sad state of affairs I expect from the corporate world in general :p

Zaptruder

Banned

As far as add-ons go, if the Rift itself is $500, but you really need a couple of $50-$100 add-ons to get the full experience, it's still a $600 expenditure.

I do hope you're right, obviously. The cheaper they can do it without compromising 6DOF support and a higher res screen (1080p at least for v1), the better.

Fair enough, lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496184

Top Bottom