• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I really want the Rift but that sounds like I can't use it that comfortably, as my glasses are even larger (same width but taller). I can't wear contacts either.

I was originally thinking about buying Vive later this year, but now I'm bummed that I didn't pre-order one right away when it became available.

What's the difference between the Rift and the Vive in terms of accommodating wearers of glasses?

Maximo

Was crisp, uniform, beautiful optical clarity a widespread expectation? I could've cleared that up for everyone right away, haha. I have tons of hands-on experience with all the major VR options and I first used the CV1 almost a year ago now, and I don't sign NDAs.

They all have IQ issues to varying degrees. Overall out of the first gen consumer edition HMDs the Oculus CV1 I found to be the least optically distracting due to the lack of SDE. The Vive had visible SDE but I would adjust to it quickly in any given experience and it didn't affect UI legibility or anything drastic like SDE would definitely do on the DK-era stuff, and the Vive was otherwise fine.

I mean, the DK1 is like a vaseline smeared CRT with magnifying glasses on top and a vomit induction device attached, you'd be lucky if you could read text on a hundred foot font size, but the thing still managed to pull off that baseline of effective VR immersion so you knew the potential of the technology and what it meant to have your brained fooled with sensory replacement, and I'd show it off to people on the regular but I certainly damn well didn't want to use the thing regularly myself. DK2 was a big step up but not enough for me to be willing to use it on a regular basis as the SDE in particular was ludicrous.

CV1 from everything I've used on it has been a solid first gen consumer-level product. Certainly you won't want to, like, watch regular full length movies on these things or anything silly like some people seem to expect to want to do. It's not a replacement for your TV whatsoever, you'll want to take it off when you're not directly in a VR experience, you'll want to take regular breaks, etc.etc.

That being said, not dismissing the problems people are having with their new retail Rifts and these issues could very well not have been present in the pre-release demo models, or the experiences could have been tailored to avoid highlighting the deficiencies whenever possible, etc. etc.

Regardless, I've found that the display quality of a HMD is not suuuuper critical to hitting that all-important threshold of VR immersion, and as long as you're not getting sick and you can actually read UI elements and so forth the rest falls into place.

Alittle disappointing hearing as people have been raving about the virtual cinema to watch movies and the virtual desktop.

Wallach

What's the difference between the Rift and the Vive in terms of accommodating wearers of glasses?

The Vive has some of the foam insert cut away a bit on the sides to make more room for the frames.

There was supposed to be another foam insert included with the Rift that had this same deal, and I'm kind of pissed to hear there doesn't actually seem to be one in the box. I'd like to hear their response to what happened with that.

Donnie

Alittle disappointing hearing as people have been raving about the virtual cinema to watch movies and the virtual desktop.

I enjoyed watching full length movies in the cinema on my DK2 and obviously this will be a much better experience than DK2, so I think it comes down to preference/opinion really.

Cimarron

Just finished checking out the free goodies. It was really nice of Oculus to give us DK2 owners Lucky's tale. So far i have to say that I enjoyed everything so far. Aside from some DK2 jankiness it has been great. Surprisingly everything I have tried so far has not been too bad with the DK2 resolution. Like the poster a couple of posts above me I would like to hear some feed back from CV users on exactly how much better is the image quality. I have a Vive on the way for next week but I wonder if I am missing much by not having a consumer Rift. Eve Valkerie seems like a disappointment coming from Elite. I guess i can wait until that is much cheaper before i scoop it.

Monger

The Vive has some of the foam insert cut away a bit on the sides to make more room for the frames.p

There was supposed to be another foam insert included with the Rift that had this same deal, and I'm kind of pissed to hear there doesn't actually seem to be one in the box. I'd like to hear their response to what happened with that.

You can also adjust the distance of the lenses from your eyes.

Considering they're both Oculus branded HMDs and all, that's...pretty damn lame, even if there's a legitimate logistics issue with the storefront being Samsung controlled or whatever on the Gear VR. It's like stepping foot into an alternate universe where Valve never established an amazing set of pro-consumer standards for all PC gamers to bask in.
It's almost the same store as far as I can tell, with obvious different content sources.

Actually - it may be that Oculus don't have the features for cross buy enabled / finished yet, I just got a response from the Darknet dev Check out @DarknetGame's Tweet: https://twitter.com/DarknetGame/status/714729828465958913

UnrealEck

Rift was meant to come with more of the foam inserts and apparently hasn't.
Vive however has lense adjustment to bring them closer or further from your eyes. So you can move them right out, put on, adjust then more them closer to your glasses.
I'm not sure if it makes a difference though.

Seems like people on reddit are not giving particularly sparkling impressions of the Rift. Halo effects and low field of views all over two threads on r/vive and r/oculus. But the FOV thing seems to have been bullshit. Someone claiming it was less than DK2.
It's also weird to me that up until now, most impressions I've seen have been that the headsets are very similar to the point where it's really coming down to the build/weight of them, motion controls, tracking and cables that are the biggest factors in their choice between the two. I also hadn't seen anyone say anything negative about the FOV or the halo effect.

I think Vive will blow me a away more because of the motion and roomscale. But I don't think it'll be a big deal waiting on Touch for me and because of this I recently decided 'fuck it, I'll just go Rift'. The fact Rift comes in April for me and Vive in May was an incentive for that choice too. I can't buy both either, which is a pity.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man, I'm the total opposite. I'm so excited to be ground floor with this stuff. I hope you'll be joining us in a few years and we can all explore the metaverse together!

Now if only Oculus would ship my headset.

me too. I want to be all 'do you remember when?' with stories and fond memories of when VR was like the Atari 2600

Xyber

This will be more of a thing later on when the resolution gets a lot better. Right now it's too low to be a better big screen experience than a normal TV.

So. How is Oculus Home in VR?

I really think they didnt think too much about the Non-VR version of that. I mean I cant even chat with anyone in Non-VR it seems.
And the lack of sth. like Cloud-saves and Achievements also kinda sucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
would be good to hear in this thread when the non-oculus store games and apps get updated to SDK1.3 for CV1 compatibility, and also which ones are recommended. I think I only have two games right now in steam that say they are VR ready - Elite, and the Descent Underground demo. I bought Keep talking and nobody explodes but it isn't showing up under the steam VR filter even though the store details say it is VR compatible.

This launch has been a buzzkill.

I think the hardware is solid from all accounts but waiting past the point of release and hearing impressions of the software has definitely hurt my excitement somewhat.

And I knew exactly what to expect.

Donnie

Obviously, I meant Jan 6th (US date format vs. Euro date format confusion). I'm not a kickstarter backer, just regular pre-order customer.

I ordered mine on Jan 6th, but it depends on the time you ordered, even a hour can make a big difference. I'm expecting mine in May.

I ordered mine on Jan 6th, but it depends on the time you ordered, even a hour can make a big difference. I'm expecting mine in May.

I think from what we're learning the order numbers that we were looking at before don't make much of a different, it's definitely the time we need to be focused on.

BrettWeir

Obviously, I meant Jan 6th (US date format vs. Euro date format confusion). I'm not a kickstarter backer, just regular pre-order customer.

Unfortunately there's no actual, solid information. All we have to go on is Palmer's tweet:
"Shipping update: Kickstarter Rifts will start arriving Mon, pre-orders start shipping mid-week (likely Wed) and will arrive this week too."

"likely Wed" is open ended. I'm a "25" order number, and at this point, I'm setting my expectations that I won't be receiving the Rift this week, and lucky to receive it next week. Given that they still have yet to fulfill all of the Kickstarter Rifts, I'm not even sure if next week will be a go.

Enordash

For the few that have the CV1 already, which games have you tried? I was 100% on buying Adrift before launch and now I don't think I'll be picking it up after impressions have rolled in. Have the games been interesting enough to hold your attention? To drive you to want to finish them? Do you find yourself wanting to take a break after a short period of time? Maybe all of this is too early to ask especially since we have like 3 CV1s in this thread currently.

Yeah, almost no preorder customer has gotten shipping yet afaik, it has been kickstarter backers so far mainly. Wednesday + for the rest of us.

elyetis

As others said, the time mean more than the day, first day preorder range from a estimated delivery this week, to as far as May...

Soi-Fong

Thanks. I really want the Rift but that sounds like I can't use it that comfortably, as my glasses are even larger (same width but taller). I can't wear contacts either.

I was originally thinking about buying Vive later this year, but now I'm bummed that I didn't pre-order one right away when it became available.

I said this before but this is one of the things the Vive has on the Rift and that larger frames will have no issue fitting inside the Vive. There's so much room in there!

Considering they're both Oculus branded HMDs and all, that's...pretty damn lame, even if there's a legitimate logistics issue with the storefront being Samsung controlled or whatever on the Gear VR. It's like stepping foot into an alternate universe where Valve never established an amazing set of pro-consumer standards for all PC gamers to bask in.

This reminds of an iPhone-iPad situation where you had to rebuy iPad versions of games for a long time before they moved toward universal apps.

Was crisp, uniform, beautiful optical clarity a widespread expectation? I could've cleared that up for everyone right away, haha. I have tons of hands-on experience with all the major VR options and I first used the CV1 almost a year ago now, and I don't sign NDAs.

They all have IQ issues to varying degrees. Overall out of the first gen consumer edition HMDs the Oculus CV1 I found to be the least optically distracting due to the lack of SDE. The Vive had visible SDE but I would adjust to it quickly in any given experience and it didn't affect UI legibility or anything drastic like SDE would definitely do on the DK-era stuff, and the Vive was otherwise fine.

I mean, the DK1 is like a vaseline smeared CRT with magnifying glasses on top and a vomit induction device attached, you'd be lucky if you could read text on a hundred foot font size, but the thing still managed to pull off that baseline of effective VR immersion so you knew the potential of the technology and what it meant to have your brained fooled with sensory replacement, and I'd show it off to people on the regular but I certainly damn well didn't want to use the thing regularly myself. DK2 was a big step up but not enough for me to be willing to use it on a regular basis as the SDE in particular was ludicrous.

CV1 from everything I've used on it has been a solid first gen consumer-level product. Certainly you won't want to, like, watch regular full length movies on these things or anything silly like some people seem to expect to want to do. It's not a replacement for your TV whatsoever, you'll want to take it off when you're not directly in a VR experience, you'll want to take regular breaks, etc.etc.

That being said, not dismissing the problems people are having with their new retail Rifts and these issues could very well not have been present in the pre-release demo models, or the experiences could have been tailored to avoid highlighting the deficiencies whenever possible, etc. etc.

Regardless, I've found that the display quality of a HMD is not suuuuper critical to hitting that all-important threshold of VR immersion, and as long as you're not getting sick and you can actually read UI elements and so forth the rest falls into place.

Uh oh. Now it hurts even more to wait to test them.

Guess i will end with the Vive.

Kyuur

Is there a list of game reviews somewhere? Curious to see how they're fairing on average, what the good titles are etc.

Also I'm confused as to how orders are scheduled for July, yet retail is supposed to come out next month. Is it just going to be an extremely limited run or what?

Is there a list of game reviews somewhere? Curious to see how they're fairing on average, what the good titles are etc.

Also I'm confused as to how orders are scheduled for July, yet retail is supposed to come out next month. Is it just going to be an extremely limited run or what?

Orders are backed up to July. There is that much demand. Retail begins shipping this week, we think.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Orders are backed up to July. There is that much demand. Retail begins shipping this week, we think.
Even though I'm July I'm just ready to see other preorders start shipping. Hopefully it gives us an idea how fast they move through orders.

chris121580

I can't recommend FIRMA enough. By far my best experience with the Rift. Great controls, huge sense of scale, and it's basically Lunar Lander which is never a bad thing. It's still in early access but surprisingly polished. A steal for 10 bucks

I am seeing reports of discomfort with glasses. I usually wear contacts out, but glasses at home. Are glasses really necessary since the lenses are so close to your face?

And I hate to say it... but Oculus screwed up this launch majorly. Everyone has first day supply issues, but a few thousand units is not a launch. Its an early release.

LaneDS

I can't recommend FIRMA enough. By far my best experience with the Rift. Great controls, huge sense of scale, and it's basically Lunar Lander which is never a bad thing. It's still in early access but surprisingly polished. A steal for 10 bucks

Will check it out after work!

Hari Seldon

I am seeing reports of discomfort with glasses. I usually wear contacts out, but glasses at home. Are glasses really necessary since the lenses are so close to your face?

And I hate to say it... but Oculus screwed up this launch majorly. Everyone has first day supply issues, but a few thousand units is not a launch. Its an early release.

If the glasses thing is true then I'm definitely out. I didn't see the entire Giant Bomb stream, but I did notice the one dude did not wear his glasses. I'm definitely concerned.

Yeah, I am a little concerned with the discussion about glasses. Seems like a lot of people are having trouble with them.

AEdouard

(...)

Hey EviLore, thanks for the input.I have a small question for you. I pre-ordered an Oculus a few days ago, shipping in July of course, and I've been reading a lot of articles comparing the Vive's and Oculus' headsets. I basically know everything there is to know specs and functionality wise, but since I never tried any of these I'm wondering about the better FOV with the Vive VS the Oculus' reduced screen door effect, which seem to be the main trade-offs of these two pretty equivalent display sets.

I feel the Vive's slightly worse screen-door effect but better fov is the better compromise, but the up-front cost is just way too high for that one. Is the more limited FOV with the Oculus annoying? Annoying to the point that is makes a big difference compared to the Vive? (assuming you're not switching between them a few seconds apart).

Kanhir

Uhh, no. I order the CV1 as quickly as possible when pre-orders went live and I also purchased a DK2 through Oculus. No e-mail yet.

Oh shit when and where did this come up?

Same here. I'm a DK2 ordered and got the CV1 preordered within 2 minutes with a "24" number. Haven't gotten the email.

Sorry, I thought people meant the useless mail that just informs you Rifts are shipping in general, not the "1-3 weeks" one.

mitchman

Gold Member
Unfortunately there's no actual, solid information. All we have to go on is Palmer's tweet:
"Shipping update: Kickstarter Rifts will start arriving Mon, pre-orders start shipping mid-week (likely Wed) and will arrive this week too."

"likely Wed" is open ended. I'm a "25" order number, and at this point, I'm setting my expectations that I won't be receiving the Rift this week, and lucky to receive it next week. Given that they still have yet to fulfill all of the Kickstarter Rifts, I'm not even sure if next week will be a go.

61300002660104 is my order number, what does the number mean? I hope it's not that I'm the 2660104th in the queue :)

BrettWeir

61300002660104 is my order number, what does the number mean? I hope it's not that I'm the 2660104th in the queue :)

Only part that matters as far as we can tell, and even then I think we've overestimated its relevance.

You're a "26" then. Unfortunately, nobody knows if the order number means a darn thing. Most would assume that those with a "23", "24" or "25" should ship before those with "26" order numbers, since they placed their orders first. IE, got lucky regarding the website not crashing on them.

Nobody will really know until they actually start charging and shipping pre-orders.......whenever that will be.

You're a "26" then. Unfortunately, nobody knows if the order number means a darn thing. Most would assume that those with a "23", "24" or "25" should ship before those with "26" order numbers, since they placed their orders first. IE, got lucky regarding the website not crashing on them.

Nobody will really know until they actually start charging and shipping pre-orders.......whenever that will be.

What's weird is that some people with 26 and hire received the 1-3 week email while some in the 24-25 range did not.

It's all over the place. I have heard that people had 25 in the order number and didn't place an order until 15 minutes past the hour. I can't figure it out.

Kusagari

Reading this glasses discussion combined with the complete ineptness Oculus has shown this entire launch...

I'm seriously thinking of canceling and just getting a Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom