• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only tell you that the highlighted has not been my experience. FOV didn't feel like a step down from the DK2 at all. There could be all sorts of reasons for that, I know, but having used multiple HMDs, I have zero complaints about the FOV in the Rift.
Well that's reassuring. I'm not too worried about it, but it's just one more thing on top of this comical launch.
You know what unless you really want that game you can just wait until April. Didn't realize quality games weren't on sale.

Just say the word tho and I'll get it!
Hah, ok I will do that!

Just saw a video about Lucky's Tale on Kotaku. Obviously being made by Oculus Studios, I'm not expecting that title to make it over to PSVR but I hope we get something similar.

It's a very interesting way to show VR in a new way, as I've yet to wrap my head around a lot of third person applications.

Anyone who's played it, what were your thoughts? Good platformer with a unique feature or just a glorified tech demo?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just saw a video about Lucky's Tale on Kotaku. Obviously being made by Oculus Studios, I'm not expecting that title to make it over to PSVR but I hope we get something similar.

It's a very interesting way to show VR in a new way, as I've yet to wrap my head around a lot of third person applications.

Anyone who's played it, what were your thoughts? Good platformer with a unique feature or just a glorified tech demo?

Lucky's Tale is awesome. Super super polished.

Cannot wait to play through the whole thing.

*rocks back and forth waiting for Rift to ship*

Great platformer with a unique feature. It would still be a great platformer on a 2d screen, but it wouldn't be nearly as charming that way. Being able to lean in to see the world closer is wonderful. As is being able to peek around things. I'd say it's an improvement on camera systems in other 3D platformers.

Just a heads up in case anyone runs into the same issue: I bought the PCI-E USB 3.0 card that Oculus recommends if your PC doesn't have USB 3.0. Everything was working great on the Rift except EVE Valkyrie, which stuttered every few seconds basically ruining the experience. I thought it was because my older PC wasn't capable to play it, but have since found out I just needed to update to newer drivers for the USB 3.0 card. The ones the manufacturer has on their site was not sufficient, I had to uninstall the drivers then wait for Windows Update to find them from Microsoft. Once Windows updated with those it has been smooth sailing. So check the USB 3.0 drivers before writing off any issues as PC performance!

jaypah

Great platformer with a unique feature. It would still be a great platformer on a 2d screen, but it wouldn't be nearly as charming that way. Being able to lean in to see the world closer is wonderful. As is being able to peek around things. I'd say it's an improvement on camera systems in other 3D platformers.

Even on a DK2 it was simply beautiful. One of the first caves with the water hazard I sat there just zooming into the puddle. I stop and do that a lot in that game. It's like finally being inside of a colorful platformers. Bonkers! Plus as I've said before its the cleanest anything has even looked in my DK2.I don't know if it's because it's super optimized or what but I wasn't expecting that. The Dream shorts too, just very slick.

Even on a DK2 it was simply beautiful. One of the first caves with the water hazard I sat there just zooming into the puddle. I stop and do that a lot in that game. It's like finally being inside of a colorful platformers. Bonkers! Plus as I've said before its the cleanest anything has even looked in my DK2.I don't know if it's because it's super optimized or what but I wasn't expecting that. The Dream shorts too, just very slick.

I stuck my head right into the tunnel in one of the caves. The biggest improvement from DK2 to Rift are in descending order: positional tracking, audio, framerate and then image quality last. I can believe Lucky looks almost as nice in the DK2.

Man

Glad to hear positional tracking has received a big bump since DK2. It was too often a pain (moreso than a pleasure almost).

edit: Also it seems like Luckey's Tale is shaping up to become the favorite with many people out there. I would have been surprised to hear that 6 months ago.

jaypah

I stuck my head right into the tunnel in one of the caves. The biggest improvement from DK2 to Rift are in descending order: positional tracking, audio, framerate and then image quality last. I can believe Lucky looks almost as nice in the DK2.

Yes, seeing you post about the vastly improved tracking made the DK2 bounds seem even smaller :p Framerate is another thing where 75 probably seems legit until you have 90. I love my DK2 and hearing that CV1 improved upon it across the board is awesome. Seems like they were able to deliver a great kit!

As an aside did you see the pinball controller on Twitter/Reddit?

Haluko

Its solid. I think Vr adds to the experience and makes you feel like you are above a world of toylike creatures. It has nothing on something like 3d Mario world gameplay wise imo. Its a great example of how a platformer can work in VR.

Ive also play chronos for about an hour. I would say I like this game the best out of everything I tried (Except elite been playing that for over a year) Chronos isn't perfect but the game is interesting mix of dark souls combat with a fixed camera. Like lucky tale you feel like you are looking into a diorama which I think is very cool. I feel like developers need more time to explore VR, we are n for some cool shit in the future.

Yes, seeing you post about the vastly improved tracking made the DK2 bounds seem even smaller :p Framerate is another thing where 75 probably seems legit until you have 90. I love my DK2 and hearing that CV1 improved upon it across the board is awesome. Seems like they were able to deliver a great kit!

As an aside did you see the pinball controller on Twitter/Reddit?

I have no monies right now, so I am avoiding such things. I've had to talk myself out of buying pinball controllers before.

Glassboy

Maybe someone with technical expertise can help me out. So I made it through most of the setup for the rift but when it asks me to adjust the lens to see the green line nothing appears on the rift.

I thought maybe the software had crashed so I restarted it and it brought me back to the same exact step of setup. And nothing is on the rift still. I restarted my computer to see if that would help too. No dice.

I decided to uninstall the whole program and all the games I had installed. I then reinstalled oculus. When I launched it, it brought me straight back to the very same step that I have been stuck on this whole time.

How is this possible? Does anyone have any suggestions what might be happening? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program at least a half dozen times and every time it brings me to the same step of the setup. Nothing is on the rift this whole time (the rift is on though, the amber light is on at the top, and the USB ports work because I am using my Xbox wireless adapter in them and it still works)

I am completely stuck and I have probably spent way too much time trying to figure it out. Any help would be insanely appreciated

Lucky's Tale is awesome. Super super polished.

Cannot wait to play through the whole thing.

Its solid. I think Vr adds to the experience and makes you feel like you are above a world of toylike creatures. It has nothing on something like 3d Mario world gameplay wise imo. Its a great example of how a platformer can work in VR.

Good to hear all the great impressions. I don't have a PC for Oculus but I'm counting down the days to PSVR, and I like seeing different applications. I also love platformers so here's hoping there's an equivalent out there for PS.

It's likely that the response to Oculus is going to have quite an impact on the VR landscape, so I'm reading up and glad to hear (mostly) good things!

I played it for the first time a few minutes ago, but on the DK2 since I don't have the full Rift yet. I was very impressed, and can safely consider it the second most impressive VR game I've tried so far, with only Elite: Dangerous edging ahead.

Lucky's Tale is a crowning example of how 2D screenshots and videos aren't even remotely representative of the VR experience. I've seen the trailers, and they never impressed me much. I've tried enough VR not to trust my gut feelings on these things however. Turning the game on in the DK2 was fantastic from the very first moment, and it ran perfectly smooth on my old GTX 780, even when I turned up detail to High (didn't test that too much though).

Only played the very first level since I want to save the full experience for the CV Rift, but what I played made me really want to keep playing. The main character is about the size of a small doll, or a huge D&D miniature, for those of you who might have ever used those. There are also underground sections where the scale is somewhat smaller, which is a little weird but works very well anyway. It all looks very pretty when you see it inside the Rift itself, whereas it looks pretty basic on a monitor.

Not much I can say about the gameplay after just one level, but it seemed very fun and made me want to play more. It flowed very well, and there was tons of exploration to do in a relatively small area. Finding secrets is one of the things that's going to feel very different from traditional platformers here, as it will require paying close attention to your surroundings in a totally different way. I found one big secret, and only because I decided to look up at the right point in the level.

I'll probably save the rest of the game (and the other stuff in Oculus Home) for the CV Rift.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Have any of you played any of Chronos on DK2 or CV1? The price is steep but for ~12ish hours it isn't that bad.

I like what I have seen and the fixed camera is fine by me. The combat seems bit barren with the amount of enemies at once but I've only watched a few videos that are very early in.

Just a heads up in case anyone runs into the same issue: I bought the PCI-E USB 3.0 card that Oculus recommends if your PC doesn't have USB 3.0. Everything was working great on the Rift except EVE Valkyrie, which stuttered every few seconds basically ruining the experience. I thought it was because my older PC wasn't capable to play it, but have since found out I just needed to update to newer drivers for the USB 3.0 card. The ones the manufacturer has on their site was not sufficient, I had to uninstall the drivers then wait for Windows Update to find them from Microsoft. Once Windows updated with those it has been smooth sailing. So check the USB 3.0 drivers before writing off any issues as PC performance!

Thanks for the info, I'll do the same to make sure that's all set for when my Rift arrives since I picked up the same card.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Maybe someone with technical expertise can help me out. So I made it through most of the setup for the rift but when it asks me to adjust the lens to see the green line nothing appears on the rift.

I thought maybe the software had crashed so I restarted it and it brought me back to the same exact step of setup. And nothing is on the rift still. I restarted my computer to see if that would help too. No dice.

I decided to uninstall the whole program and all the games I had installed. I then reinstalled oculus. When I launched it, it brought me straight back to the very same step that I have been stuck on this whole time.

How is this possible? Does anyone have any suggestions what might be happening? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program at least a half dozen times and every time it brings me to the same step of the setup. Nothing is on the rift this whole time (the rift is on though, the amber light is on at the top, and the USB ports work because I am using my Xbox wireless adapter in them and it still works)

I am completely stuck and I have probably spent way too much time trying to figure it out. Any help would be insanely appreciated
There might be another file it created on your system and uninstalling the program doesn't remove it. That's my guess.

LaneDS

I seem to be in the minority with Lucky's Tale. I played through I think four stages last night (with a DK2, for reference) and thought it was neat but not amazing. Aside from one mechanic where you can pick up a bomb and throw it where you aim via head tracking, there wasn't anything in there that really justified the VR to me. I wanted to move the camera around in ways I couldn't short of craning my neck around, and I didn't find that to be a better solution (also not saying it's a worse solution, to be clear).

It plays nicely. Feels like they took the 3D Mario games as inspiration which is a good place to take inspiration from, but it didn't have the same polish or charm as those games (which, really, what games do?).

All that said, I'll be playing more and my impressions are just that, impressions. I'd like to check out all of this stuff with CV1 when it arrives (hopefully soon, but who knows!) and see how much that impacts impressions.

Still having install and general functionality woes with Home, using dk2 which is the likely culprit, still frustrating when I actually got it to work out of the gate and Lucky's Tale ran so well on it the first time. Seems like an issue being reported by several others over at the Oculus forums. Such a tease! Hopeful the Technolust dev sends out the dk2 demo soon he talked about to tide me over while I wait for mine to get here.

Exuro

Is the game being displayed on the monitor an automatic thing or do you need to twiddle around to display your headset view on it?

I'm seriously thinking about going to the opthalmologist and getting an eye exam so I can get a pair of contacts to use with my Rift. I don't like contacts but I really want to use my Rift and it's a pretty bad experience with my glasses. I might be crazy.

I'm seriously thinking about going to the opthalmologist and getting an eye exam so I can get a pair of contacts to use with my Rift. I don't like contacts but I really want to use my Rift and it's a pretty bad experience with my glasses. I might be crazy.

I don't think you're crazy at all. I've noticed my vision getting a little bit worse over the years, and have resisted so far from going to see an optometrist. But if I ever do wind up needing glasses, I'm really hoping that I can just use contacts so that VR is a more comfortable experience :p

I had a laser eye consultation yesterday, not solely for VR, but sick of wearing glasses, typically my prescription was the top end of£2700 per eye! Ouch, gonna see how I get on with VR and glasses lol

Maybe sending units to Kickstarter backers first was a bit of a mistake. I am not saying that because I am jealous, I am, but putting units in the hands of people who may be experiencing VR for the first time could have lead to more WOW factor experiences being conveyed.

Kickstarter backers have had the opportunity to use VR before. Maybe the first impression Oculus needed to get out there was from people who were completely new to the experience. People who may not necessarily be fussed with FOV or SDE out of the gate and focus more on the initial HOLY SHIT moment that I recall so many people having the first time they tried.

I know, I am just a bitter preorder person, but I think it would have been good to have some of that WOW on day one.

Seiru

Banned
No emails/shipping updates until tomorrow, right? My order number is around 27.8...I'm hoping to get my Rift by the end of next week at the latest, but I'm starting to worry.

No emails/shipping updates until tomorrow, right? My order number is around 27.8...I'm hoping to get my Rift by the end of next week at the latest, but I'm starting to worry.

I kind of hope that we might get an email today. Palmer said shipping doesn't happen until tomorrow but that shouldn't mean they can't start processing orders today.

I keep waiting to hear about a credit card being charged.

Compsiox

Banned
I kind of hope that we might get an email today. Palmer said shipping doesn't happen tomorrow but that shouldn't mean they can't start processing orders today.

omg please tell me you're missing an "until"

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

VR is one of the many reasons I switched to contacts a year or so ago. It takes some time to find the right brand and some patience while doing that while your eyes adjust.

Maybe sending units to Kickstarter backers first was a bit of a mistake. I am not saying that because I am jealous, I am, but putting units in the hands of people who may be experiencing VR for the first time could have lead to more WOW factor experiences being conveyed.

Kickstarter backers have had the opportunity to use VR before. Maybe the first impression Oculus needed to get out there was from people who were completely new to the experience. People who may not necessarily be fussed with FOV or SDE out of the gate and focus more on the initial HOLY SHIT moment that I recall so many people having the first time they tried.

I know, I am just a bitter preorder person, but I think it would have been good to have some of that WOW on day one.

This is a point someone brought up over at r/oculus actually, and yeah I do think a lot of the deflated hype has to do with dyed in the wool DK1 and 2'ers that have lots of hours logged in VR already being the only ones giving impressions. That, plus GB being the usual "whatever" tinged cynics they are, and lots of people that haven't tried VR seeing games played from their 2d displays watching the stream is a recipe for an underwhelming launch. If Oculus hadn't bungled the logistics of distribution and the first wave of pre-orderers had them in hands it would've gone a ways. Instead we've got this tumbleweed strewn thread of an OT with mostly grumbles and "Oculus done fucked up" souring everything. Thank god plagiarize came in to give some impressions otherwise this place would start to go full depressive townie watering hole.

Donnie

Releasing to kickstarters first isn't going to stop new users being hyped when they get their kits. But it does ensure that their are thousands of experienced users out there with CV1's to help the new users with any issues they might have when they get their head sets.

Releasing to kickstarters first isn't going to stop new users being hyped when they get their kits. But it does guarantee that their are thousands of experienced users out their with CV1's to help the new users with any issues they might have when they get their head sets.

The problem is that all eyes were on the launch. The full day GB stream and a lot of people ready to hear impressions. There wasn't much of anything exciting.

Now when people who are new to VR finally get it in their hands it's most likely going to be sporadic and while you will have people excited by their first experience, there won't be that unified and loud onslaught of impressions like you would have had on day one. It's going to be bits and pieces over time. That's not what VR needs.

You do raise a good point about experienced users having their hands on CV1's to help out newbs though. That could have still happened if they released to everyone at the same time.

HTC are showing Facebook/Oculus how it's done! Every step of the way they've managed to get Vive's into the hands of the people that matter, and give it amazing coverage. Oculus has and will lose sales over this, and Vive's momentum will be in full force very shortly, to drive it home further.

HTC are showing Facebook/Oculus how it's done! Every step of the way they've managed to get Vive's into the hands of the people that matter, and give it amazing coverage. Oculus has and will lose sales over this, and Vive's momentum will be in full force very shortly, to drive it home further.

They had a great ramp up over the last month while Oculus stayed relatively quiet until GDC.

It's a notable difference.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I want someone to talk in detail about the difference in experience between the DK1 and CV1 since I've only used the DK1

I wanna get hyped

Talk dirty to me

I get the same feels playing Chronos that I did way back in 96 playing Resident Evil for the first time. It's crazy how VR can make any genre feel new again, something that is hard to put into words and should just be experienced.

Starviper

I went and cancelled my Oculus order. After seeing that EVE Valkyrie isn't all I was hoping for upon launch and there being no touch controls, I think i'm going to wait for the first Vive orders to start shipping and see what the general thoughts are on that.

I think people are going to get a larger amount of enjoyment out of that setup as there just doesn't seem to be enough to really immerse yourself without a more unique controller setup.

I'm starting to feel that it would have been a lot better had Oculus held out for their controllers to launch with the headset unit.

Cimarron

I want someone to talk in detail about the difference in experience between the DK1 and CV1 since I've only used the DK1

I wanna get hyped

Talk dirty to me

image.php

I think HTC's production and shipping infrastructure will really brow beat them too, Oculus is backed up to July and almost everyone that pre-ordered a Vive will get it within a two month period, that's better than Wii launch window availability lol (different scale I know but you get the point). Only two months for a decent userbase to be established is pretty good for a product selling to a niche like pc vr. Oculus is gonna feel like a trickle in comparison. But hey, this is first gen consumer vr, things will prob look a lot different a year from now once all this has died down and Touch has entered the scene.

BrettWeir

I kind of hope that we might get an email today. Palmer said shipping doesn't happen until tomorrow but that shouldn't mean they can't start processing orders today.

Not holding my breath!

Riptwo

I wanna get hyped

Talk dirty to me
I went directly from the DK1 to CV1, and it's pretty huge. There's way more fine detail, head tracking seems smoother, and you can actually read text at this point!

Sephon

Wow, just tried Lucky's Tale with my DK2 and it's freaking amazing. Mario 64 VR. Couldn't stop smiling. And it's free! Downloading Elite now.

Anyone know how to get rid of the message "dk2 unsupported and your pc doesn't meet..."? really annoying.

Wow thanks for the tip, didn't know the DK2 worked.
I've spent most of my evening downloading and trying every free app in the store, also bought Defense Grid 2 and Chronos. Can't really hold back until I get my CV1 later this month.
I love the content and hope that it'll satisfy me for a few months, but the dream is multiplayer experiences, so I guess it's still to wait for my buddies to join up and meet me in E:D, and it will be glorious!

P.S: Got my Technolust key and will try it after I play a bit of Chronos.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is a point someone brought up over at r/oculus actually, and yeah I do think a lot of the deflated hype has to do with dyed in the wool DK1 and 2'ers that have lots of hours logged in VR already being the only ones giving impressions. That, plus GB being the usual "whatever" tinged cynics they are, and lots of people that haven't tried VR seeing games played from their 2d displays watching the stream is a recipe for an underwhelming launch. If Oculus hadn't bungled the logistics of distribution and the first wave of pre-orderers had them in hands it would've gone a ways. Instead we've got this tumbleweed strewn thread of an OT with mostly grumbles and "Oculus done fucked up" souring everything. Thank god plagiarize came in to give some impressions otherwise this place would start to go full depressive townie watering hole.

It also doesn't help that GB played most of their games like idiots. Doing shit like standing up while driving, then getting sick, and immediately quitting games. Ignoring instructions being read to them so they can instead gawk at putting their head inside of a model in a way they're not supposed to, then having no idea how to play the game.

Watching that live stream was frustrating in the same way watching AVGN play a game he clearly has no idea how to play is annoying. "This game sucks because I dunno."

The part where they covered Radial G made my blood boil. "This has no weapons wtf??"

They had a great ramp up over the last month while Oculus stayed relatively quiet until GDC.

It's a notable difference.

All this "we're not sending out review units" so we can get it into the hands of our customers, and that's barely happening either. And it transpires that because of the bullshit, bad comms and false promises, HTC are sitting back and lapping it up. I would have been fuming to have bought a Rift thinking my glasses will be fine, upon receiving it finding out the measurement was based on a faceplate not even included! Huge huge deal for someone who can't see shit.

I actually find it very sad, as I really want VR to be huge and successful, and Oculus have been the torch bearers for so long, and it actually feels like they've ended up rushing to get it out of the door.

Why oh why couldn't they get it together and pair it with motion controls at launch...........such a shame.

I absolutely agree that the Rifts should have been sent to preorderers and not jaded backers, the impact would have been so much more, but instead it's now got people questioning why they are even bothering with VR full stop.

I think HTC's production and shipping infrastructure will really brow beat them too, Oculus is backed up to July and almost everyone that pre-ordered a Vive will get it within a two month period, that's better than Wii launch window availability lol (different scale I know but you get the point). Only two months for a decent userbase to be established is pretty good for a product selling to a niche like pc vr. Oculus is gonna feel like a trickle in comparison. But hey, this is first gen consumer vr, things will prob look a lot different a year from now once all this has died down and Touch has entered the scene.

Yeah that's what I mean, they're gonna be doing a running start with production and shipping, we are going to be seeing quite a different Vive OT that's for sure (I'm not doing it btw) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom