• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was able to play Lucky's Tale a bit earlier on the dk2, super charming, love the color palette. Redeemed my Technolust code in Home but the whole thing just locked up on me so I haven't been able to play anything else yet. For those that have used the dk2, have you been able to get positional tracking working? Only have rotation.

I skipped the whole setup thing while installing the runtime, and positional tracking is working with my dk2.
Also got my technolust code, hope it'll work on the dk2

I skipped the whole setup thing while installing the runtime, and positional tracking is working with my dk2.
Also got my technolust code, hope it'll work on the dk2

I restarted and have positional tracking now but I'm not in the hub area, in the gray space with the warning screen prior to launching an app. For some reason the desktop app can't be closed. So weird. I guess quirks like this are to be expected with an unsupported hmd but still frustrating when it was working fine earlier.

Compsiox

Banned
Had a lot of fun messing with a friend's Kickstarter edition Rift today. I'm suuuuuper impressed at the level of tracking they've achieved with that camera. The cone is shockingly wide.

That's amazing to hear. The tracking cone for DK2 was way too small for me.

AgeEighty

Let's not hit the panic button before most people have even received one. K? Palmer said yesterday that pre-orderers would likely be shipped on Wednesday. We've known for 24 hours that not much would be happening today or tomorrow. It's a little disappointing, but it's 2 extra days. Chill. The sky is not falling.

nakedeyes

Banned
Actually they have. Many in fact.
To each their own. You have made it pretty clear throughout this thread that you are upset.

I am also very excited, and was bummed about not getting shipping info all day. But I wouldn't feel shortchanged unless I had zero shipping info by Friday ( which is post March ). I guess just different opinions. In a perfect world we would know asap about all shipping all the time, but it's pretty crazy how much everyone expects amazon.com level shipping experiences out of these guys.

13 pages on launch day is terrible. I really thought more people would be discussing it. I guess that is what happens when they call a small early shipment a launch.

Well, it's because nobody actually got it and we are still in the dark about when we will.

You're right with your last sentence.

It's always been "maybe tomorrow" and here we are, end of launch day and nothing. A tweet that maybe shit will start happening Wednesday?

Plus the usual "concerned" folk who happen to post all the negative links and feedback they can find followed with a "but bro I'm just looking out for you guys".

There is positive press and I can't wait to get mine but less than like 15 people have posted any proof on reddit and even here on GAF it's like 5 people. Not much to talk about ... except the lack of tracked controllers the lack of tracked controllers the lack of tracked .... sorry, thought I was on reddit for a minute.

Wallach

Compsiox

Banned
To each their own. You have made it pretty clear throughout this thread that you are upset.

I am also very excited, and was bummed about not getting shipping info all day. But I wouldn't feel shortchanged unless I had zero shipping info by Friday ( which is post March ). I guess just different opinions. In a perfect world we would know asap about all shipping all the time, but it's pretty crazy how much everyone expects amazon.com level shipping experiences out of these guys.

I'm really tired from working on the OT late last night and I just felt like it was an underwhelming launch. I hope I can wake up to something good.
Those are refractive artifacts caused by the Fresnel lenses. It's a bit worse in the Vive because the ridges are larger.

People have been saying it's not as bad in the Vive actually.

TheRed

They brought the negativity on by saying shipping starts on the 28th since that made people that preordered naturally expect the thing to ship on the 28th but they could've easily said the 30th and had today be exactly the same where only press and some kickstarter backers have Rifts and the games launch and no one would be as mad. But they're communication has been garbage and it's not a good way to start off when they're trying to win people into a semi closed platform on pc. So much of their good will has been burned and the vive can take advantage of it. Anyway still hyped for when I get my Rift! Whenever that'll be, can't even really trust any estimates Palmer makes.

AgeEighty

I'm really tired from working on the OT late last night and I just felt like it was an underwhelming launch. I hope I can wake up to something good.

He told us Wednesday. If you're hoping for something tomorrow, are you not just setting yourself up for disappointment?

Those are refractive artifacts caused by the Fresnel lenses. It's a bit worse in the Vive because the ridges are larger.

WTF even Vive uses fresnel lenses?

Why did they switch to fresnel lenses? Just to make them liight? Even Gear VR does not use them.

Arulan

13 pages on launch day is terrible. I really thought more people would be discussing it. I guess that is what happens when they call a small early shipment a launch.

A large part of this forum isn't nearly as enthusiast as it's made out to be -- it's very console and AAA game oriented.

Speaking for myself, I've spent most of the day watching Giant Bomb's stream and reading as much as could on the launch. I'm getting the HTC Vive, but I can't help being excited for the first (high-end) VR headset to finally release. I continue to find Oculus' decision to ship without Touch to be a mistake though, and I think that comes across many of the early launch titles.

The next few weeks are going to be great. To those that have it, keep posting impressions, I'm curious which games you keep coming back to, and your opinions on the best uses (VR) of it thus far.

Compsiox

Banned
I think you're reading way too much into it.

He had access to the Rift. There was no mention of this before this "launch" (for Rift not Vive). He's upset by what has finally been revealed to us.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but really he had to have known.

AgeEighty

He had access to the Rift. There was no mention of this before this "launch" (for Rift not Vive). He's upset by what has finally been revealed to us.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but really he had to have known.

At worst all it proves is that this one guy thinks that's why there was an NDA. But just because he's a dev doesn't mean he actually knows that for a fact. Come on now.

Compsiox

Banned
At worst all it proves is that this one guy thinks that's why there was an NDA. But just because he's a dev doesn't mean he actually knows that for a fact. Come on now.

HE WAS UNDER THAT NDA! I'm not saying the NDA was specifically tailored to prevent the issue from being known.

Idk I need sleep. Gooby.

AgeEighty

HE WAS UNDER THAT NDA! I'm not saying the NDA was specifically tailored to prevent the issue from being known.

Idk I need sleep. Gooby.

Yeah, I think you've worked yourself into a bit of a frenzy and might feel better tomorrow. Just don't expect something is magically going to happen a day earlier than Palmer said it will.

Cimarron

Is anyone having problems accessing the software download page in the OP? I want to go check out the Oculus App store but can't seem to find it (DK2).

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah, I think you've worked yourself into a bit of a frenzy and might feel better tomorrow. Just don't expect something is magically going to happen a day earlier than Palmer said it will.

You really know how to calmly grind my gears. Goodnight.

Can we not end today by just bickering over stupid crap?

I spent the day watching Giant Bomb play all the games while playing around with Oculus Home in the DK2 and getting everything ready. I LOVE the Home interface and it's a breeze to launch games. It's a clean GUI that makes me excited to show my girlfriend and my parents how far it's come. I think the photos and videos will really blow the older people who aren't into tech or games away.

Hopefully now that the new SDK just got released, that the games in Steam get updated soon. I'm super happy and impressed with the software end of things.... now if we get some units actually shipped out since launch day was just technically all software and not really hardware, I'd be overjoyed.

Compsiox

Banned
Can we not end today by just bickering over stupid crap?

I spent the day watching Giant Bomb play all the games while playing around with Oculus Home in the DK2 and getting everything ready. I LOVE the Home interface and it's a breeze to launch games. It's a clean GUI that makes me excited to show my girlfriend and my parents how far it's come. I think the photos and videos will really blow the older people who aren't into tech or games away.

Hopefully now that the new SDK just got released, that the games in Steam get updated soon. I'm super happy and impressed with the software end of things.... now if we get some units actually shipped out since launch day was just technically all software and not really hardware, I'd be overjoyed.

Yeah. But the halo effect thing is a legitimate concern. Especially if it's a problem with both headsets.

I agree Giant bombs stream went really nicely and I was impressed with a lot of stuff.

Wallach

Yeah. But the halo effect thing is a legitamet concern. Especially if it's a problem with both headsets.

I agree Giant bombs stream went really nicely and I was impressed with a lot of stuff.

Consider that in that GB stream you had a grip of fairly VR-ignorant dudes who were more than happy to call out any issue with their VR experience for their viewers, and didn't raise this at all.

Idk I need sleep. Gooby.

I'm going to chalk it up to your sleepiness, but that's exactly what your post suggests. Maybe you meant to word it differently?

Also theres a widespread problem that's a halo effect present in CV1 but absent in DK2

This is probably what the NDAs were for.

On a different note, I thought the GB stream was useful. Brought my expectations back down to realistic levels a bit and gave me a good idea of what games I really want. Darknet for example is definitely on my radar now.

Compsiox

Banned
Let's post the hightlights of our day!

Here's mine:
mxEFQpC.gif

Well this is frustrating, I couldn't get Home to launch anymore without being unresponsive, I could navigate to different sections on the desktop app but it wouldn't let me dl or launch anything, or even quit it manually, had to force quit, so I tried repairing the installation and now I keep getting an install error. I changed permissions the first time and it went through but now I can't install it again period even though the permissions haven't changed. So damn janky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom