• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did every order get the "Oculus Rift is shipping" email?

Like, even July orders?

I assumed it was a newsletter thing everyone got, yes. Maybe only backers got it?

Fixed the install problem, had to manually delete the Oculus folder via appdata. Redownloading Technolust, crossing fingers it'll launch when done.

robotrock

Banned
The comments in that review are amazing.

"VR IS GOING TO STEAL OUR KIDS!"

Hah, thanks for pointing this out.

That comment section is really really good.
I assumed it was a newsletter thing everyone got, yes. Maybe only backers got it?

Fixed the install problem, had to manually delete the Oculus folder via appdata. Redownloading Technolust, crossing fingers it'll launch when done.

Not a backer, and I didn't get it.
I haven't got even that.

*fistbump*

Riptwo

I've upgraded my video card and had a few hours to play with this. Three things:

1) Yeah, there's blooming when you get something really bright against a black background, although this was mostly noticeable during the logos when you boot up a game rather than during gameplay. Even in the dark intro scene from Chronos, I didn't notice anything looking really unnatural, so I don't imagine that this will be a huge problem.

2) Chronos is really cool so far. It's like a really oppressive Zelda in the best possible way. Now I want VR Zelda (or Darksiders) so much!

3) There's something that looks like a fingerprint on the screen or the inside of my right lens. Not sure if it's just an OLED mura pattern, or if it's actually a fingerprint. This annoys me more than any potential blooming, because it's like a dirty screen effect when large amounts of solid colours are displayed. I'll see if it's actually just a print tomorrow, but I'm not even sure if I can pop the lenses out easily in this thing like I could with the DK1.

artsi

I think they started mailing people via their system and soon noticed that it was misleading (maybe they got a bunch of angry replies), so they stopped the mailer from running.

Soi-Fong

Uhh, no. I order the CV1 as quickly as possible when pre-orders went live and I also purchased a DK2 through Oculus. No e-mail yet.

Same here. I'm a DK2 ordered and got the CV1 preordered within 2 minutes with a "24" number. Haven't gotten the email.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My order is in the April batch, no idea if that means early, mid, or late April. I ordered some time within the first hour that preorders went up.

Soi-Fong

Yep that's what I was referring to, that webm is incredibly representative of what it looks like in person.

That halo effect is a result of the fresnel lenses used in the Rift which was not present in the DK2. Fresnel lenses are also used in the Vive so they will have the same problem as well and I can confirm that since I've been developing with the Vive for more than 8 months now.

It's really noticeable on high-contrast scenes of light elements against dark elements. It's really up to devs now not to have scenes that have high contrast look to them.

It reminds me of the situation with the DK2 when there was the "moving shadows" problem as well.

Fret

That halo effect is a result of the fresnel lenses used in the Rift which was not present in the DK2. Fresnel lenses are also used in the Vive so they will have the same problem as well and I can confirm that since I've been developing with the Vive for more than 8 months now.

It's really noticeable on high-contrast scenes of light elements against dark elements. It's really up to devs now not to have scenes that have high contrast look to them.

It reminds me of the situation with the DK2 when there was the "moving shadows" problem as well.

is the Vive's flaring issue as bad as on the Rift? or are they essentially the same?

TheRed

I cant get Oculus to launch at all after installing setup. It's frustrating if I cant get this to work by the time I get my headset. I just want to start installing some things.

Krejlooc

Banned
My order is in the April batch, no idea if that means early, mid, or late April. I ordered some time within the first hour that preorders went up.

I'm hoping I get my rift next week. I know I'm getting my Vive on the 5th, it'd be cool to get both on the same day. I'm also an april, but I ordered within 7 minutes of the site going online.

Posts in that Reddit thread claim that the Vive is more of a flare while the Rift is more of a smear.

The halo effect on the vive is extremely noticeable to me.

pezley

Banned
Got my Rift today. Yay!

Unfortunately, my USB 3 ports are incompatible with it. Even though I knew this, I was hoping the Rift might still work, but I get nothing. The kicker is that I can't upgrade to new USB 3.0 ports because my computer is an Alienware X51 and there is no where to put them.

Fucking hell. :-/

Why is it not compatible ? My DK2 works fine with my X51

Haint

It seems like they apparently didn't really fix that either, but just "disabled" true blacks in CV1 apps?

https://twitter.com/okreylos/status/714617548298301441

Fuck me, that's the other thing I was talking about. The effect looks like there's an RGB mismatch between display and source where you get that washed out low contrast look. Anything that's supposed to be black or near black looks like it's actually displaying a 30-40% gray which exposes the white balance errors in lower IRE (e.g. the red tinge).

Wallach

Posts in that Reddit thread claim that the Vive is more of a flare while the Rift is more of a smear.

It's hard for me to say exactly because I've worn a Pre for a short time and not the retail Rift, and that video seems like a phone camera through a lens (so it is naturally kind of potato). But it does look to me to be slightly "softer" or more diffused, so it's like the same refraction but with slightly more scattering.

I got my KS Rift today. It comes with a nice thank you card.

I was able to set it up but it demands that you specifically use the HDMI port on your video card, which happens to be the one that connects to my 4K TV. I'll need to figure out a workaround for this. For now I just disconnected the TV and connected an old monitor so I can see the desktop.

I wear glasses and it's been very difficult to get the RIft to fit over my glasses and also not smash them against my eyeballs and crush my nose with the pads. The VR headsets are designed to press very hard against your face, which is good for isolating surrounding light but it's not comfortable over my glasses at all. It's a significant improvement over the DK1 that I had, which I couldn't even wear over my glasses. But it seems their original plans of letting you have custom lenses made which you could use to replace the built-in ones seem to be gone now, as the built-in lenses are non-replaceable. I would have paid to have prescription lenses made which I could replace the built-in ones with.

In general VR headsets have the same problem that 3D glasses for movies have, ultimately you're trying to put glass over glass and it just becomes extremely cumbersome and kludgey. The 3D glasses for movies aren't too bad, you just put them in front of your glasses and you look dumb but they work. This huge-ass headset over your glasses is more problematic. I'm not sure that I want to get contact lenses just for VR, and getting laser eye surgery just for this is way too hardcore for me to even consider.

Fuck me, that's the other thing I was talking about. The effect looks like there's an RGB mismatch between display and source where you get that washed out low contrast look. Anything that's supposed to be black or near black looks like it's actually displaying a 30-40% gray which exposes the white balance errors in lower IRE (e.g. the red tinge).

Yeah, I noticed everything was grayish yesterday too when I briefly tested out some apps in Oculus Home too, but didn't think much of it.
This is what I was worried about, all the negative reviews coming in after release like it did with DK2, I would have been extremely annoyed after all the glorified reviews pre-release.
Was sad I was gonna have to wait for my real consumer VR HMD, but it seems like the DK2 will do just enough until next generation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please let today be the day the rest of the world kickstarters get shipping notifications.

Also how do I get Apollo 11? I wasn't a Kickstarter as I didn't know about it until recently. Is it available to buy anywhere?

artsi

I wear glasses and it's been very difficult to get the RIft to fit over my glasses and also not smash them against my eyeballs and crush my nose with the pads. The VR headsets are designed to press very hard against your face, which is good for isolating surrounding light but it's not comfortable over my glasses at all. It's a significant improvement over the DK1 that I had, which I couldn't even wear over my glasses. But it seems their original plans of letting you have custom lenses made which you could use to replace the built-in ones seem to be gone now, as the built-in lenses are non-replaceable. I would have paid to have prescription lenses made which I could replace the built-in ones with.

In general VR headsets have the same problem that 3D glasses for movies have, ultimately you're trying to put glass over glass and it just becomes extremely cumbersome and kludgey. The 3D glasses for movies aren't too bad, you just put them in front of your glasses and you look dumb but they work. This huge-ass headset over your glasses is more problematic. I'm not sure that I want to get contact lenses just for VR, and getting laser eye surgery just for this is way too hardcore for me to even consider.

Would you mind measuring your glasses width / height?

That's my main worry now, when I heard that there's no additional facial interface shipping with the HMD. I might be forced to switch to Vive because comfort with glasses is important for me.

dimmer

I got my KS Rift today. It comes with a nice thank you card.

I was able to set it up but it demands that you specifically use the HDMI port on your video card, which happens to be the one that connects to my 4K TV. I'll need to figure out a workaround for this. For now I just disconnected the TV and connected an old monitor so I can see the desktop.

You just have to use an HDMI to DVI adaptor to plug the TV in a DVI port of your GPU.You loose absolutely nothing.

Edit: just saw the 4k part... Oops.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Was crisp, uniform, beautiful optical clarity a widespread expectation? I could've cleared that up for everyone right away, haha. I have tons of hands-on experience with all the major VR options and I first used the CV1 almost a year ago now, and I don't sign NDAs.

They all have IQ issues to varying degrees. Overall out of the first gen consumer edition HMDs the Oculus CV1 I found to be the least optically distracting due to the lack of SDE. The Vive had visible SDE but I would adjust to it quickly in any given experience and it didn't affect UI legibility or anything drastic like SDE would definitely do on the DK-era stuff, and the Vive was otherwise fine.

I mean, the DK1 is like a vaseline smeared CRT with magnifying glasses on top and a vomit induction device attached, you'd be lucky if you could read text on a hundred foot font size, but the thing still managed to pull off that baseline of effective VR immersion so you knew the potential of the technology and what it meant to have your brained fooled with sensory replacement, and I'd show it off to people on the regular but I certainly damn well didn't want to use the thing regularly myself. DK2 was a big step up but not enough for me to be willing to use it on a regular basis as the SDE in particular was ludicrous.

CV1 from everything I've used on it has been a solid first gen consumer-level product. Certainly you won't want to, like, watch regular full length movies on these things or anything silly like some people seem to expect to want to do. It's not a replacement for your TV whatsoever, you'll want to take it off when you're not directly in a VR experience, you'll want to take regular breaks, etc.etc.

That being said, not dismissing the problems people are having with their new retail Rifts and these issues could very well not have been present in the pre-release demo models, or the experiences could have been tailored to avoid highlighting the deficiencies whenever possible, etc. etc.

Regardless, I've found that the display quality of a HMD is not suuuuper critical to hitting that all-important threshold of VR immersion, and as long as you're not getting sick and you can actually read UI elements and so forth the rest falls into place.

colinp

Banned
Let's post the hightlights of our day!

Here's mine:
mxEFQpC.gif

Wow, thats incredible!

Was crisp, uniform, beautiful optical clarity a widespread expectation? I could've cleared that up for everyone right away, haha. I have tons of hands-on experience with all the major VR options and I first used the CV1 almost a year ago now, and I don't sign NDAs.

I've been following this semi-closely for quite a while, and I am surprised that the lens effect hasn't been brought up by anyone before - at least not as a major issue. I don't think anybody (I hope) were expecting a perfect image, but I am a bit surprised that people have been talking about all the artifacts from the previous head sets, but not this one if it is as major as some make it out to be.
Regardless, I've found that the display quality of a HMD is not suuuuper critical to hitting that all-important threshold of VR immersion, and as long as you're not getting sick and you can actually read UI elements and so forth the rest falls into place.

Hopefully this is true though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't really understand the comparison with modern PC graphics. I guess because it's connected to a PC, but it's really its own thing. If you judge it as VR and not as a PC then the only comparisons are with DK1/2/GearVR etc. And the Cv1 compares very well with those.

People that can accept that will enjoy VR a lot more I think - be there as the generations evolve and new game and experience types emerge. If you are constantly comparing to established PC or TV based content you may never be satisfied

Seriously bummed about the games I've bought on Gear VR having to be rebought on the Rift.

That's a real turn off, something I don't think that Valve would do in their position.
Making me consider cancelling my preorder.

pezley

Banned

They all have IQ issues to varying degrees. Overall out of the first gen consumer edition HMDs the Oculus CV1 I found to be the least optically distracting due to the lack of SDE. The Vive had visible SDE but I would adjust to it quickly in any given experience and it didn't affect UI legibility or anything drastic like SDE would definitely do on the DK-era stuff, and the Vive was otherwise fine.

I mean, the DK1 is like a vaseline smeared CRT with magnifying glasses on top and a vomit induction device attached, you'd be lucky if you could read text on a hundred foot font size, but the thing still managed to pull off that baseline of effective VR immersion so you knew the potential of the technology and what it meant to have your brained fooled with sensory replacement, and I'd show it off to people on the regular but I certainly damn well didn't want to use the thing regularly myself. DK2 was a big step up but not enough for me to be willing to use it on a regular basis as the SDE in particular was ludicrous.

CV1 from everything I've used on it has been a solid first gen consumer-level product. Certainly you won't want to, like, watch regular full length movies on these things or anything silly like some people seem to expect to want to do. It's not a replacement for your TV whatsoever, you'll want to take it off when you're not directly in a VR experience, you'll want to take regular breaks, etc.etc.

That being said, not dismissing the problems people are having with their new retail Rifts and these issues could very well not have been present in the pre-release demo models, or the experiences could have been tailored to avoid highlighting the deficiencies whenever possible, etc. etc.

Quick question if you have had a lot of hands on experience with all the devices if you have a minute.

DK2 > CV1 a worthy jump ? I do find the SDE on DK2 annoying but not distracting. Just ugly. is it a huge improvement ? My plan was to hold onto the DK2 until gen 2 but if it's a substantial jump then I might change it.

Also, how does DK2 compare to PSVR in terms of image quality ?

thanks

pezley

Banned
Did you check to see if a driver update was available for them?

Oh, I havent tried the CV1. Only the DK2 which for me is fine. It's another poster who had issues with USB3 and CV1 on the Alienware X51 which is USB3.

There are firmware updates for the X51 so it may be worth them trying that.

Dreathlock

Is it true that you can only install games on the C: drive?
If true, im out. :( Only have a small SSD partition for my windows.

pezley

Banned
Is it true that you can only install games on the C: drive?
If true, im out. :( Only have a small SSD partition for my windows.

I didn't see any other options but then I may have missed them. I'm sure that will come in an update else it's a huge oversight.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Seriously bummed about the games I've bought on Gear VR having to be rebought on the Rift.

Considering they're both Oculus branded HMDs and all, that's...pretty damn lame, even if there's a legitimate logistics issue with the storefront being Samsung controlled or whatever on the Gear VR. It's like stepping foot into an alternate universe where Valve never established an amazing set of pro-consumer standards for all PC gamers to bask in.

Would you mind measuring your glasses width / height?

That's my main worry now, when I heard that there's no additional facial interface shipping with the HMD. I might be forced to switch to Vive because comfort with glasses is important for me.

Well, the Rift recommended glasses size on their site is:

A frame width of 142mm or less
A frame height of 50mm or less

I measured:

130mm width, 30mm height on my frames.

I don't wear big glasses. I don't know where Oculus got that 142mm width measurement, at 130mm width they are about exactly as wide as the foam part that touches your face pretty much allows them to be. They touch the foam and barely fit inside. The Rift itself more than happily will sit right on top of my frames, pushing them down onto my nose. That doesn't feel very good.

I played Lucky's Tale for about 15 minutes but now I have to go to sleep. It's pretty much Super Mario 64 but starring Tails. On my 980 Ti it was comfortably locked at 90 fps and there was no frame stutttering at all, the experience was flawless. It's also pretty amazing to look at, I love being able to look around and see the whole world around me. It's possible to turn completely around in Oculus Home and look at the wall behind you. I'm using my Rift while sitting on my couch but I can imagine standing users turning around and around until they wrap the Rift's cord around themselves and have to stop.

artsi

Well, the Rift recommended glasses size on their site is:

I measured:

130mm width, 30mm height on my frames.

I don't wear big glasses. I don't know where Oculus got that 142mm width measurement, at 130mm width they are about exactly as wide as the foam part that touches your face pretty much allows them to be. They touch the foam and barely fit inside. The Rift itself more than happily will sit right on top of my frames, pushing them down onto my nose. That doesn't feel very good.

Thanks. I really want the Rift but that sounds like I can't use it that comfortably, as my glasses are even larger (same width but taller). I can't wear contacts either.

I was originally thinking about buying Vive later this year, but now I'm bummed that I didn't pre-order one right away when it became available.

Wallach

Considering they're both Oculus branded HMDs and all, that's...pretty damn lame, even if there's a legitimate logistics issue with the storefront being Samsung controlled or whatever on the Gear VR. It's like stepping foot into an alternate universe where Valve never established an amazing set of pro-consumer standards for all PC gamers to bask in.

I think it is probably up to the developer to do that. It is possible to offer Oculus keys to users from other sources; the Windlands dev for example has a form you can fill out for an Oculus version of Windlands if you bought the Steam version, which like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter isn't even strictly a VR game. But the latter dev is not only not doing that but charging for VR support being added back over to Steam as a $10 DLC. I think Frontier also allows you to grab an Oculus key for E:D owners through their account page.

Seems like Oculus does offer the tools to offer that kind of cross-buy, at least. Can't imagine it would be harder for an app in the GearVR store than one sold in Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom