• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptwo

I've spent way too much time playing the arcade games in Technolust already. The game has a fantastic style, but I still want to see the scale and density of Gibson's Sprawl represented in VR even after playing this.

Wollan

Just received my free KS-backer unit. :)

vSwyJ2RgZh6PB2FgE565oasEHlsAXJwYU6l1HhaiT7eI_9SKTHFc0jF0Kyfz6ucjT3d74PX-69PKx2d1fahi4ut06wutQU5e_ewu8Us1H2LwUFEQEMvXkKDJIwBq_V6sQLmj2P2ITFQEAAGka-wSCXvInyEW-_Fk2Bt7qOOM4_6TVdXeYIRZ6UTk6DvLqxDk6dUSHvypNm6SIMwPG8ZhfhlOF5Vngn9Nt2CPLSs6CpwzHd5vbGJajGVkfYadrr1hPy6lgoj3PKVuj92qICssONuXVpwLObDPBq-9Rq3dPZFmlKMR4CyP9pSZAlalFP-58PcJrIULIXWn8nOqUmxG85HAGhOOAloSXiMR3ZC_grVNQtVQyUJehpTV4I9dVGI3wCnlds4uFrARupeKl_Z3FUAd9pbxDFp699tizF2RwGMNSbP8cYQ2p6fEmyqNC_CDvykJNJX0OFXTh-vt-Xtll7UujDtN7Py3wHHDQeGdWas7dz1MYjkBPbHXc1ANyAhRX_pY-GOL0bx71Ep7RgmQCGcP6v0GRw89kLD0evI5BGW-mnm_KN_NiT3OOULDNaEMtrVvTQ=w904-h678-no

vyGbPmJCamA5pg1wpJx2rDG4ycoJzKHGMfdWoBthJ-oYbbmjOpWwLf4XGtwcEBJCEEHr4aog-CHpQfcm7QQtnY9OPgRAqyVFP6dOTHA7EQNJ6pv7HLPj76rJjTPFLCYw9JbCbS6HjjGhZRrnC2Zx8GbZLcn2tlyjygU67pAbWa1QlOnW9AdkmWTL-bVIb3N2ssOQ_RwUuhbPnnlDwarRRZMAYfKGCwMxeiM1-w5POCOpOPyFK3UkYyIGaSHbW5Qh7t4mlnezEzE4Bm1OXh0xh-UnkK_4b-ZyZr9qydrrGPjKf7BcKIjHELmNRwC9kUfPY71R6Z2GGnSAEoLjB5bYTHmwiuSGK4kmcM7GXuAz6IPfcPcmzOaFdsyHn2nAAn7kBPm-Y6kVNr6B_Po_qnLqn3CJqhGxO3qrmsLuSD6hFzR_1Cfl7U9UaQI3HfAtSzl2D9VtJceptWO4tBt_6xARRQx4gGzq4VAbUx-MjZRc8LjEtKt6xIgDUx1a1BT59ME2_cFEqXvS9wu17tJAe3uA8Lc-pFNEUVxwE4DqmMXHZt4U5BJepOFZwzKCjlYIsRalacLMCg=w904-h678-no

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're uk right? What backer number (roughly)? Sitting on my hands here having heard nothing. Good to know they are still shipping them

Wollan

You're uk right? What backer number (roughly)? Sitting on my hands here having heard nothing. Good to know they are still shipping them
My backer number is 95XX. UK based now but Australia when I pledged. Received shipping notice on Saturday. UPS delivered.

lmimmfn

Im in the same boat, ive heard nothing either, im KS backer #9125, annoying that they said KS backers would be first in line but pre-orders in europe have been shipping since last week and ramping up since Sunday night/early Monday morning.
I never received the email regarding updates on April 12th either

- It was hard to quit some games, it wasn't obvious where to do it. Like lucky's tale, i still don't know where the exit button is. pinball fx is easy, just look at the door.

You probably already know this, but what I do is press the Oculus button, or the Xbox guide button, then choose 'return to home'. It's in the bottom left corner.

Wollan

First impressions from setting up the Oculus Rift and playing a couple of levels of Luckey's Tale (ordered by time):

Hardware and Oculus Home:
+ Oculus box and equipment finish is quality. Seems expensive. Nice fabric on HMD.
+ Setting up Oculus equipment very straight forward (had set up Oculus Home prior).
- Spent 15minutes(!) getting Xbox One controller to work. Always disconnected. Seems like the wireless dongle was ultra sensitive to not being in sight and/or resting on plastic stand of monitor. Had to 'hang it up' on a wooden chair in clear sight of controller. Seemed to sort of interrupt with wireless Internet dongle as well.
+ Oculus Remote has a satisfying 'clickedy-click' button.
+ Oculus Home is beautifully made. Gear VR Home is nice but it seems more like a rudimentary 'Unity project' while Oculus Home on PC is a beautiful and sharp mix of photo-realism and polygon art (fireplace and outdoor blossom trees are very low-poly in a great artistic sense while carpet is folded, shadowed and hyper-realistic). Menus flow very nicely.
- Missing service features that really should be standard by today like Achievements, messaging etc.
+ Image quality it seems like physical pixels are on pair with Gear VR (you can see the hints/roughness if you really focus on sharp font edges etc) but the software resolution, anti-aliasing, 90 HZ (up from 60) and general graphics and responsiveness lifts it to a completely different level. Two ballparks removed.
+ Earphones are comfortable and their flip up/down mechanic feels rigid and quality.
- The insides of the HMD gets hot relatively quickly and it feels like its hovering around 30-35celsius in there, definitely like a warm summer feel on your face. Will cut down on long play sessions I think (swimming goggle sized HMDs needed asap).

Luckey's Tale:
+ Wow. This is a Great VR experience straight off the bat. I have played a lot of VR experiences over the last three years but its really nice to see this family friendly and bundled game be upper-echelon stuff with no fuss (I mean, it outclasses anything I've witnessed on a DK2). It's also very well done and clearly above something like ...Knack... even if played on a 2D monitor. Here's to hoping that Oculus/Facebook has rewarded Playful well for this pack-in.
+ Lots of fun little touches like soundtrack cues mimicking Mario when going underground or 'hoisting the flag' (Air-balloon) at the end of the level. Luckey tripping over when you lean in too close or just simply making eye-contact with you.
+ Most things react to physics which gives it a extra visual flair. There's also other nice fx like slight blur when getting to close or underground ponds shimmering with advanced DX11+ effects (something we haven't really seen in a Mario game to date).
+ Easy and comfortable to play. Camera moves on a set path like God of War so it's always optimal.

- After playing I had the Oculus logo stamped on my face. The DK1/2 could leave you red but not like this.

Overall impression: This is Cool. I'm going to play more stuff now.

- After playing I had the Oculus logo stamped on my face. The DK1/2 could leave you red but not like this.

Have you tried adjusting the strap at the back of your head? It should be a lot lower on your head than you initially think, so that the weight of your headset is on the top of your head instead of against your face.

Is there a possibility I have ordered two Rifts?

I ordered when orders opened on January 6th, 2015, but never received a confirmation e-mail.
I did not write down the order number.

I ordered again later that day on 6pm PST, and the order has gone through with a confirmation email immediately with a 35 order

I received two of the "Your Oculus Rift Order status" On April 2nd

I"ve tried e-mail support twice, with no help.

When I check my actual order status, it only shows one order (35)

Wollan

It seemed pretty perfectly set up straight off actually for the size of my cranium. While it 'prints my face' it's still quite more comfortable than the DK1/2.

Wallach

It seemed pretty perfectly set up straight off actually for the size of my cranium. While it 'prints my face' it's still quite more comfortable than the DK1/2.

Mainly you just want to have the side straps be perfectly parallel to the floor (kind of like glasses). If they're tilted then the back support is probably sitting too high on the head and pushing weight down on the other end. Side straps may be a little tight too but most people seem to run into issues with the top strap being pulled in too far and not allowing it to sit deep enough on the head.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Here's the current setup (you can see XB1 controller dongle hanging behind monitor):

Lots of wifi interference maybe? I have that issue personally in my flat if the dongle is too close to my router (which the back USB ports on my PC are).

Enordash

Here's the current setup (you can see XB1 controller dongle hanging behind monitor):

I 100% despise the layout of those keyboards, lol. Super jealous though!

I'm sure Oculus will hold off on sending any new shipments out again today. They wouldn't want to overshadow the Vive launch.

Now the word is that west coast US is getting preference over east coast US. I've accepted that it may not even be here by this coming weekend.

nynt9

From my experiences with the DK2, I've found that using mouse to rotate your camera is a LOT less nauseating than using an analog. I don't know why (though I have some guesses), but it's definitely significantly better. Mouse should have been the de facto controller for VR IMO.

Now the word is that west coast US is getting preference over east coast US. I've accepted that it may not even be here by this coming weekend.

There's a lot of country between them coasts!

Also Durante's Rift showed up out of nowhere today (no tracking or shipped email), so that's kind of awesome.

I'm sure Oculus will hold off on sending any new shipments out again today. They wouldn't want to overshadow the Vive launch.

HA, so nice of them!
I 100% despise the layout of those keyboards, lol. Super jealous though!

I'm not even hoping for April anymore. Well, I guess I'll receive another email or something ... maybe.

vermadas

Someone on reddit with order time +04:58 who lives in Maryland got a shipping notice last night.

I think the West vs. East issue is the FB server location and the site becoming responsive faster due to geography.

Durante

First Rift CV1 impression: that hole around my nose is rather large and distracting.

Edit:
Actually, that's the second impression. First one was "wow this box/packaging is premium".

Enordash

There's a lot of country between them coasts!

Also Durante's Rift showed up out of nowhere today (no tracking or shipped email), so that's kind of awesome.

Really? That's weird. I've been keeping an eye on my credit card so I don't expect to get anything out of the blue.

First Rift CV1 impression: that hole around my nose is rather large and distracting.

How long before people start plugging that hole with extra foam I wonder.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Really? That's weird. I've been keeping an eye on my credit card so I don't expect to get anything out of the blue.

He was a KS backer so he didn't pay.

In theory the different faceplates would help minimize that nose light leakage, since they'll fit better. Too bad they decided for whatever reason not to ship with them, hopefully they go on sale soon.

nynt9

I have an issue where if I look at bright objects in the rift (especially in a dark background) it really ghosts on the edges of the lenses. I cleaned the lenses but it still happens. Is this normal? I don't recall this happening with the DK1 or 2.

Durante

I just played Lucky's Tale for a bit over an hour (and I'm probably one of the very few people who did so with a DS3 controller, the XB1 pad is still in the box).
It's a fun platformer, but not really a VR showcase. Dreamdeck does a much better job at that.

I have an issue where if I look at bright objects in the rift (especially in a dark background) it really ghosts on the edges of the lenses. I cleaned the lenses but it still happens. Is this normal? I don't recall this happening with the DK1 or 2.
It's a result of the Fresnel lenses used.
It doesn't help that the whole setup process is white text on black background which is probably the worst case scenario for these artifacts.

Coverly

You probably already know this, but what I do is press the Oculus button, or the Xbox guide button, then choose 'return to home'. It's in the bottom left corner.

I did press those buttons but nothing happened. I probably did something slightly off and it didn't register, i'll try again later.

nooo, i actually found that quite useful. i would look around for my keyboard/controller or another remote with that little opening lol. I could also look if i was near furniture when moving around just in case. at night though, everything is dark but it helped during the day.

Enordash

nooo, i actually found that quite useful. i would look around for my keyboard/controller or another remote with that little opening lol. I could also look if i was near furniture when moving around just in case. at night though, everything is dark but it helped during the day.

Yea, maybe this isn't a horribly big deal as long as you can control the light in your room.

Interesting to see Polygon score the Rift higher than Vive. Honestly didn't expect much of that with what's in the box. I have both coming (someday) and can only keep one. The struggle!

Yea, maybe this isn't a horribly big deal as long as you can control the light in your room.

Interesting to see Polygon score the Rift higher than Vive. Honestly didn't expect much of that with what's in the box. I have both coming (someday) and can only keep one. The struggle!

Did they specifically say why?

aimjay

Neo Member
Any word when they will open orders to other countries? This is frustrating

Maybe on time for the Touch controls

You definitely have your harness too tight.

I only get a slight outline of where the edges of the facial interface are and it goes away very quickly, and I've experienced no issues with it getting hot inside there either.

For the record, Ben Kuchera reviewed both. Rift got 8.5, Vive 8. The only part of the summary (haven't had time to read the whole thing) that gives any indications as to why he might prefer the Rift is this:

And, as with the Oculus Rift, you’re going to need a pretty powerful gaming PC. Ninety frames per second isn’t a goal for comfortable VR; it’s the absolute minimum, and Valve doesn’t seem to be doing nearly as much when it comes to enforcing a minimum experience for players. Oculus Home is its own curated store. Vive games will come from Steam, which is a bit of a Wild West when it comes to quality control.

So the headset is heavier and not as polished as its competitors, the cable bundle is clunky, and setup requires a large initial investment from the player in just about every way.

I'll read the whole thing later.

These kind of .5 differences are going to be obsessed about because sadly we're in the realm of system wars here.

TheRed

Honestly the headset is the reason I'm keeping my Rift order and haven't ordered the Vive, the Rift looks so nice. I actually don't want want to have to wear my own seperate headphones with the Vive but maybe that's not as annoying as it seems to me?

Enordash

Did he specifically say way he rated the Rift over the Vive? I don't believe so. There were some small comparisons, but they were each rather standalone reviews. He seemed to think that the Vive felt a little less polished in a hardware sense. They were both rather positive reviews.

Edit: Plagiarize beating me to it.

Honestly the headset is the reason I'm keeping my Rift order and haven't ordered the Vive, the Rift looks so nice. I actually don't want want to have to wear my own seperate headphones with the Vive but maybe that's not as annoying as it seems to me?

I can't guess how annoying it would be for any one person, but I'll say this: There is no way I'm going to remove the built in head phones to use the wireless over the ear headphones I used with my DK2 and still use with my Gear VR. It's so much easier to take the Rift on and off thanks to the built in audio, and I'm not an audiophile, so they're more than good enough for me.

Less noise isolation is also a good thing to keep you being too isolated. Sure you may want to be more isolated, but I like to be able to still hear and interact with people around me when I'm playing something in VR.

Enordash

If Oculus would come out and ensure us that room-scale is absolutely possible when Touch comes out, it would make my ultimate decision much easier. If it will never be competitive in that space, I don't know what to do. I do know that my fiance is hoping I stick with the Rift, lol.

I really want to go full virtual with my desktop with a couple headless ghosts. I'm guessing I'd hate myself for it eventually, but that would be so damn cool!

Wollan

Farlands and Chronos are both visually very strong.

Chronos was stuck in an infinite loading loop when I tried to start a new game with a Axe wielding character and I was forced to close the game. Twice.
As soon as I chose a Sword wielding hero it loaded fine.

Enordash

Farlands and Chronos are both visually very strong.

Chronos was stuck in an infinite loading loop when I tried to start a new game with a Axe wielding character and I was forced to close the game. Twice.
As soon as I chose a Sword wielding hero it loaded fine.

Chronos still holding up? I wonder if Home allows for easy updates and patches to be pushed out.

If Oculus would come out and ensure us that room-scale is absolutely possible when Touch comes out, it would make my ultimate decision much easier. If it will never be competitive in that space, I don't know what to do. I do know that my fiance is hoping I stick with the Rift, lol.

I really want to go full virtual with my desktop with a couple headless ghosts. I'm guessing I'd hate myself for it eventually, but that would be so damn cool!

Didnt people try out roomscale with two cameras and it shows it will be possible in a 10*10 feet area?

Enordash

Didnt people try out roomscale with two cameras and it shows it will be possible in a 10*10 feet area?

I believe people have successfully tested certain setups, but I do wonder if that type of game will show up on Home. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end as long as devs support Touch. Isn't the Rift cable pretty short as well?

I believe people have successfully tested certain setups, but I do wonder if that type of game will show up on Home. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end as long as devs support Touch. Isn't the Rift cable pretty short as well?

I measured mine as around 11 feet. You can probably use HDMI and USB extenders on this though, so long as they are high enough quality.

And whatever Oculus do, so long as Valve go through with supporting Touch in Steam VR, Oculus owners should be able to play all the Room scale games that work in 10 feet square or less using Steam VR.

Wallach

They have, with kinda ridiculous setups involving ladders and USB cable extensions.

You would need a USB cable extension for your second camera, but it's not like mounting it would really be any different than mounting a lighthouse base station. The sensor comes off the base and mounts onto the same 1/4-20 tripod bases.

I measured mine as around 11 feet. You can probably use HDMI and USB extenders on this though, so long as they are high enough quality.

And whatever Oculus do, so long as Valve go through with supporting Touch in Steam VR, Oculus owners should be able to play all the Room scale games that work in 10 feet square or less using Steam VR.

Did Valve say anything about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom